Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique...princessy fun or pageant-y creepy?

My DD7 will be going in May. She has no clue. She is a girly girl in every sense of the word which is a strange state to me as I was a tree climbing, fish catching, mud ball slinging tomboy. I don't know where she came from. :confused3

We set her appt for 8am, then we'll whisk off to take the pictures at the photo shoot, then go to breakfast at CP at 9:25am. Why anyone would let their little girl walk around the park in the blazing sun in a princess dress is beyond me. That's why we booked an early appt. So that by the time breakfast is over, she can change and put on her sneakers and comfy clothes.

I don't honestly think they just slap the makeup on all willy nilly. I'm sure if the parents really have a concern, you can tell them "light" makeup. She went to glamour shots at 5 and I told them only clear mascara and lip gloss.
It's your kid. Speak up.

As long as the little girls aren't being FORCED to do it...what's the big deal?

EVERY little girl played dress up and at one point in her life, wanted to be a Princess! I think the fact that they get to do it at one of the most magical places on earth is wonderful.

I don't have any little girls myself, and I already asked my 17 yr old son, but he said no........but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to take her there.

Before we went on our trip a couple of weeks ago it really saddened me to see threads like this. After all if you can't go to Disney World to dress up like a princess and not feel as though some think you look creepy, where can you go? Then we went on our trip and DD(4.5) and her cousins ( 5yrs and 9yrs) went to the BBB. They each chose a different style so they did not look exactly like the next child in line. However, had they chose the same style it would have been just as fun!

The whole BBB experience was magical for them, from start to finish. Everyone called them princess and they were treated like royalty. As a pp said the girls are given their pallet of make up and nail polish to take home with them. However, the make up that is applied is very light. So much so it is gone very soon after. My DD was thrilled to have this pallet to play with after, but I put it away for home. As you can see from the attached photo my little princess and her cousins don't look creepy, they look like darlings who had one fantastic time becoming princesses for the day.

As for the hair being too tight, not even close. All three wanted their hair left in that night. Yes, the BBB does use lots of product to keep the styles in, but even that took only one good shampooing to get out. I never heard a peep out of any of the girls while their hair was being done. And believe me my DD can yell like a banshee when I brush her hair and it is short!

The BBB is a wonderful thing for girls of all ages to enjoy. Boys can do the Cool Dude look for something like ten dollars, so well worth it as well. Oh, the styles they do are for a couple of reasons. One, they need to keep each appt to a certain amount of time. By having a limited number of choices this helps. Also, it is much easier for the FGIT to master three styles than forty or so, so again time is your side.

It is just such a shame that people will stop and criticize something like this. For the most part these are children, on a dream vacation, doing what Walt loved best. That is living out a fantasy for a very short time. I think the creepy part of all of this is those who even, for one moment, would compare this experience to that of a pageant. These children don't asked to be judged, they are just enjoying the fun of make believe. Kind of like the thousands of adults who come to Disney World every day.

Suz

DSC03056.jpg

Suz

Suz...

Well said...and your girls look adorable!!! I'm glad they were able to have a little bit more magic on their vacation. :)

It makes me wish for a little girl, or to be a child again. I am blessed w/ boys. I remember wanting to look like a princess a time or two in my childhood, I do not think I am alone in that memory.princess:

Harmless fun, my teenage girls went this summer with my best friend's daughter who was 8, and they all had a blast and want to do it again.

They hardly put on any make up at all, my guess is that the kids you saw with the clown make up was done by the parents or the child themselves.

Suz...

Well said...and your girls look adorable!!! I'm glad they were able to have a little bit more magic on their vacation. :)

Thanks Steffie! It was magical for them and for us.

There are some that would say the parents force their child to do this so they can live the experience through them. While that may be true for some (like those forcing a four year old on Tower of Terror just so they can go) I think it is just the opposite for most. To see your child's excitment grow as they are "transformed" was a very moving and emotional expeirence. Kind of like when your child scores their first goal in hockey or makes a team or even just learns to take their first step. The innocence of it all is what makes being a parent the best job in the world.

Okay, now I am getting vaklemp! Thanks for the compliments on the photo. I appreciate it.

Suz

Definitely pageant creepy. :scared:

I didn't see a one I thought looked cute or attractive. And I felt bad for the parents who got socked for so much money.

But to each his own. They're not hurting anyone, so if people want to do it, why not?

Definitely pageant creepy. :scared:

I didn't see a one I thought looked cute or attractive. And I felt bad for the parents who got socked for so much money.

But to each his own. They're not hurting anyone, so if people want to do it, why not?

Don't feel bad for me and the money I spent at the BBB. It was well worth it. As Master Card would say,

The BBB - $49.99
Dress from Zellers - $19.99
Life time of memories - Priceless

Suz

Don't feel bad for me and the money I spent at the BBB. It was well worth it. As Master Card would say,

The BBB - $49.99

Suz

I agree with you completely! Playing dress-up is something that little girls have been doing for ages and what better place to do it and make some wonderful memories at the same time. There's no harm done with a little sparkly stuff on their faces and most little girls love the fuss made over them. It's such a short time that they are little and can really enjoy this and I know I can't wait to make the most of it with my DD4 when we go in August.

However, if you want to talk about creepy, don't even get me started on the grown women I have seen doing this!

I agree with you completely! Playing dress-up is something that little girls have been doing for ages and what better place to do it and make some wonderful memories at the same time. There's no harm done with a little sparkly stuff on their faces and most little girls love the fuss made over them. It's such a short time that they are little and can really enjoy this and I know I can't wait to make the most of it with my DD4 when we go in August.

However, if you want to talk about creepy, don't even get me started on the grown women I have seen doing this!

Enjoy your trip Annette and the fun of BBB. Your DD will love it!

Suz

The BBB - $49.99

Suz

:thumbsup2

Add me to the group that thinks it is creepy.

Now, I do not have any children and if I did have a little girl and she had her heart set on doing it, I would allow her to do it. That being said, I still find it terribly creepy looking. Not because I think that it is wrong to allow little girls to play dress up but just because it looks so hideous.

I don't know who taught the Fairy Godmothers to do makeup, but the eyeshadow on the kids reminds me of Mimi from the Drew Carey Show. And the hair is so painfully tight looking that it makes my head hurt.

That is just my opinion. Like I said, if my little girl wanted to do it, I wouldn't deny her, but I would think she looked scary all day :rotfl2:

Unless BBB has recently started teasing hair, slathering on foundation, mascara, eyeliner and lipstick, or putting fake teeth on little girls then it's still very far from being "pageanty-creepy".

The BBB girls I have seen in the parks only had eyeshadow, for some a little bit of blush, and lip gloss. And most of them seemed to love it. I would have loved to do that as a kid (ok, I admit, I'd still love to do it now).

One thing that bothers me is, why do they have to pick such hideous colors for the eyeshadow ? I've seen mostly blue, purple and bright pink. Eeek. But I guess it has to be "bold" enough for the kid to notice it when she looks at herself in the mirror.

My girls and their cousins did it last month. They had a ball. The makeup was just so light you could hardly notice it. It was a novelty for them and all about dressing up and playing princess for a day. There was nothing creepy about it. Just kids doing something that kids like doing.

I don't know who taught the Fairy Godmothers to do makeup, but the eyeshadow on the kids reminds me of Mimi from the Drew Carey Show. And the hair is so painfully tight looking that it makes my head hurt.

Have you ever seen Cinderella's eye's? Watch my video on my site and Cinderella from the P&PP last weekend and when it gets around minute 1:53, she hugged my daughter and closed her eyes.

As for the hair, it is gel and spray and there was nothing painful about it. DD4 fell asleep near Splash Mountain at 11:30 that night so we took her to the room and put her to bed, did pull her dress off but left the hair up. She wore it that way all the home Sunday, my wife did give it some touch ups, because she wanted her grandma to see it when we got home. She wouldn't let DW take it down and had a fit when she finally told her that we had to wash the gel and pixie dust out of her hair. Believe me, if it were painful, DD4 would have pulled it out between BBB and MK anyway.

She enjoyed the whole experience thoroughly.

I wonder whose fantasy it really is...the parent or the child? Not casting judgement, just posing a question. During our Christmas trip we saw many, many...(oh, think of all that money the Mouse was raking in) little girls who had experienced BBB. It seemed to us that the make up in almost all cases was applied with a trowel and for that reason we vote with the "creepy" crowd. Sure little girls love to play "dress up" but how about letting them do it at home for free and not putting them on display?

Actually we weren't planning on doing BBB again this trip, since it is a short stay. Then, about a week ago my daughter asked me if she could be a princess again and get her hair done at the castle. So, to answer your question...........it is the child's fantasy. As far as putting them on "display', as a pp said, they are not being judged. They enjoy the attention of being called princess, by the nice people in WDW and all of the CM's. All kids enjoy dressing up - why do you think Halloween is so popular? It's the day other people get to see them as something they wish to be. Same for BBB.

Ohhh, I forgot about that. The next morning, with hair still up, we ate breakfast at Olivias. When our server was walking towards our table she was looking at me and smiling and when she got to our table she turned and looked at DD4 that was coloring and noticed her crown and she immediately gasped and fell to the ground in a kneel and said "Oh my, I did not realize that I was going to be serving a princess this morning. I am so privileged to have this honor" and stood up and just kept talking to her. DD4 is the most shy kid you'll meet but she just ate it up smiling the whole time.

Wherever we went the male CMs were bowing and holding doors open saying things like "welcome princess" and the female CM were curtsying with similar remarks.

my vote is for harmless fun.
I think it will be fun, I plan to take my three year old next year. She loves playing dress up and when we put make up on her for halloween (she was a cat) she got really excited about it. I think that pagents where they put lots of make up on toddlers is creepy too, but I really don't think you can compare the two:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter