Beware the roses!!!!

olena

<font color=green>Emerald Angel<br><font color=mag
It's downright gusty here today. I was bent over checking the progress of an iris, when the wind gusted. The rose bush adjacent to me whapped me in the head...HARD. It didn't just hit me, it retracted and whapped me again! Thorns in my hair and scalp and and some colorful phrases for the neighborjood to hear. Those roses will get you, if you let them! They're sneaky and mean...:teeth:

I hope you were not hurt.

Rose bushes are pretty to look at but those thorns are so hurtful.

Think it was telling you to go back inside and out of the bad weather?

LOL! I think it was taking a cheap shot at me....probably for pruning it.

Pruning already. Do you prune it before it is ready to bloom? My roses should be waking up from winter soon and I am not sure when I should prune them. My DH did last year when they were in bloom and they seemed fine but I wonder if we should have done it sooner or wait until fall.

I bet you are having very nice weather now. We are just starting to have a spring. Though it is a rainy day today. I am excited to see dafidols now.

I prune them back in the winter or late fall...after they've stopped blooming. I don't know if that's the right thing to do. I just do it that way.

During their blooming season, I prune off dead blooms to encourage new growth. If I'm being really meticulous, I'll prune off faulty foliage.

Ouch Olena!!! Yes, those roses...so beautiful....but so sneaky! :eek:

Colourful phrases? Hmmm.....lots of dirt and soil type words...compost happens...that sort of thing? ;) :)

Olena and The War of the Roses.

Hope you're okay! :)

Wow, ouch, hope you're ok. They're beautiful but they are a pain.
War Of The Roses he he good one....

Mine will probably get me good one day soon for cutting them back so far this spring. I was in a cranky mood and took it out on them.

Originally posted by DebºoºS
Wow, ouch, hope you're ok. They're beautiful but they are a pain.
War Of The Roses he he good one....

Mine will probably get me good one day soon for cutting them back so far this spring. I was in a cranky mood and took it out on them.

LOLOL! I KNOW that feeling! In a bad mood, I LOVE to yank weeds. Right now, the tent worms are out. I've personally killed at least 50 of them. Take that...STOMP! Get off my roses....STOMP!

OH NO....violent DISgardners!!!! ROFL - confession time - I'VE DONE IT TO THOSE DARNED SLUGS....TAKE THAT, AND THAT, AND HERE'S ANOTHER ONE!!!! ROFL

Hope you didn't need any bandaids Olena....yeouch!

OUCH! That sound painful.

Roses should be pruned when they break dormancy and after temps have risen above freezing and stay that way. A little frost won't kill them but a deep freeze may damage them if they've been pruned. For me here in the Pacific NW it's right around Presidents Day.

I've already started dropping the not so subtle hints to DH about Mothers Day. I really want a Disneyland rose...I figure if I bug him for a month straight, I'll probably get one. :teeth:

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy:

Originally posted by December99
OH NO....violent DISgardners!!!! ROFL - confession time - I'VE DONE IT TO THOSE DARNED SLUGS....TAKE THAT, AND THAT, AND HERE'S ANOTHER ONE!!!! ROFL

Hope you didn't need any bandaids Olena....yeouch!

Oh yeah! I kill them....only if I can see them. I saw a brown one going up the side of my house. He got splatted and my shoe print was there, too. I rinsed it all off today....gotta love vinyl siding.

They're at it again! The rose bush whacked the iris growing next to it and beheaded it! The stalk has indigo blooms getting ready to open and the one from the top is lying on the ground. This rose bush just doesn't get along well with others.

LOL!!!!

Forget the whacking! A spider in my roses bit me on the arm a few days ago. It's just now getting better. I was trying to stake and tether them back, since they're droopy and heavy with rain. Also, they can't assault their neighbors anymore...:D

This thread is too funny! :p I was going to suggest that the rosebush needs a timeout but you tied it up instead!!! That should show it who's really the boss around your garden! LOL :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter