Beware of Very Cold Lazy River

I’m positive that when this debate started in a social media group it said on the website that all pools were heated to 82-86 degrees (that number may be off). That verbiage is now gone. Someone also brought a pool thermometer and it showed the lazy river was like 72 degrees.

Disney goes full Pravda

i have no plans to go to aulani but am so invested in this thread
The real question is why aren’t you here already? I think we need to a DIS pool temp thread trip. If we get enough people in we can naturally warm the lazy river

We had plans for spring break. For the second time in a year, I cancelled due to a thread here about something that is a deal breaker for our family.
I definitely would not cancel a trip over it. But whatever you feel is best for you and your family you gotta do.

On a side note, this thread has been very educational about pool temperatures. I live near an ocean where summer water temperatures range from the 60s to 70s. Therefore, my guess was pool temps were in the 70s. I didn't realize pool temps below 80 are cold.

I wouldn’t cancel a trip to Aulani in March. The pools should be warmer because the weather is much warmer than the winter. I’ve been to a lot of pools in Hawaii on all different islands, and I honestly don’t know if any of them are heated. I always thought they use the sun to heat the pools. Aulani pools are pretty cold during the winter, but the Hilton Waikoloa on the Big Island is like a giant ice bath even in the summer.

the Hilton Waikoloa on the Big Island is like a giant ice bath even in the summer.
My March trip here is what has me watching this thread. That pool was sooooooo cold! Only a few crazy tweens were in it the entire day we had reserved a poolside loveseat. If the unheated Aulani pools are even close to that…. It’s a problem. I’m a bit worried even for July. It won’t break the trip… but we may plan less resort time.

My March trip here is what has me watching this thread. That pool was sooooooo cold! Only a few crazy tweens were in it the entire day we had reserved a poolside loveseat. If the unheated Aulani pools are even close to that…. It’s a problem. I’m a bit worried even for July. It won’t break the trip… but we may plan less resort time.
Aulani is much warmer than the Waikoloa! Spring break will be great!

I was shocked how cold the Waikoloa pool was, so we spent most of our time in the Lagoon.When the Waikoloa opened when I was much much younger, it was the place to be. Everything was top notch and we spent all day and some nights in the pools. It was so fun and warm too. Not sure if their heater broke, or they ran out of money to heat the pools, but it way too cold for anyone now.

Last edited:
As a pool owner, the optimal “walk in without flinching” temperature is 82. :)

Also my husband googled it and there is something about salt water that makes the body perceive the water as warmer. So even when the lagoon may be colder the body experiences it as warmer than the pool water.

“Salt content in the water can also alter how cold you perceive the water to be. An explanation of exactly why this is the case is elusive, but most swimmers agree that fresh water “feels” about two to three degrees colder than salt water at the same temperature.”

https://www.usms.org/fitness-and-tr...-about-swimming-in-fresh-water-and-salt-water

On a side note, this thread has been very educational about pool temperatures. I live near an ocean where summer water temperatures range from the 60s to 70s. Therefore, my guess was pool temps were in the 70s. I didn't realize pool temps below 80 are cold.
I live in the northeast. Where residents w/ summer houses and people in suburban areas build pools b/c of both the cold temp and (relatively) dangerous waves/undertow of the ocean. Though our beautiful beaches are packed with people enjoying the sand and sun for a few months a year.

That said, we go on tropical vacations to be in warmer waters. I think it’s news to no one that people go to Hawaii for that.

The whole point of having a pool is it’s safe and swimmable (particularly for children). Part of that is having a heater/ solar cover etc - as most in the northeast also have.

That fact that aulani has jettisoned this (at least publicly as a cya) - is emblematic of their lack of dedication to providing what any other hotel where cash rooms can go for 4 figures does.

I definitely would not cancel a trip over it. But whatever you feel is best for you and your family you gotta do.

My kids have temperature sensitivities and autism and would be VERY upset at pools that are that cold. I don't have DVC and would be paying cash and I cannot in good conscience spend multiple thousands of dollars on a trip there until this issue has been resolved for real.

In addition, the shady tactics being used have put a very bad taste in my mouth about the entire property. I don't like being gaslit.

My kids have temperature sensitivities and autism and would be VERY upset at pools that are that cold. I don't have DVC and would be paying cash and I cannot in good conscience spend multiple thousands of dollars on a trip there until this issue has been resolved for real.

In addition, the shady tactics being used have put a very bad taste in my mouth about the entire property. I don't like being gaslit.
I completely understand your position. Wasn’t trying to sound rude.

For first timers in Hawaii "winters", February is typically the coldest month. I always think, Wow, we escaped the cold! I didn't even need a jacket this year. Then Feb hits and its sweater time.

On another note,
I almost packed my swimsuit to Grand Cal this month because I love the jacuzzi in any weather including snow but decided not to because I like to pack light. Still, each day I walked by the jacuzzi it looked great and I saw a few in the pool in 50s degree weather.

Another another note, daughter complained about Lazy River in the fall but I went on it when I was dry and stayed balanced. Dang waterfall tho! It did not stop my daughter and friends from being nonstop in the regular pools though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter