BEWARE! If you are driving through Atlanta to get to Disney!

I drive in Atlanta traffic every day and it is awful. I've given up on I-75, we fly to Orlando.

To OP...check aforementioned construction websites...we just got back yesterday and encountered several construction zones that caused the interstates to become parking lots (you hear of 0 to 60 in car tests --- we were in 80 to 0 tests at bumper to bumper distances because of all the traffic) in South Georgia on 75 and in Kentucky on 24.

On 75 and on the way down (Saturday AM after Good Friday), I used navigation system in van to find a way around on two lane road somewhere south of cordele and north of valdosta (sorry, don't remember exactly where). Also, did the same on way back yesterday near the GA-FL Parkway.

On 24 last night, I was ready to pull a U-turn across the median to go back to last exit for side trip since the interstate was locked up going 0 - 5 mph for over an hour, but ground was so muddy from rain and when I finally found a spot a trooper pulled someone in opposite direction so my plan was foiled.

Anybody know if these were normal construction delays or because of the increased holiday traffic?

BTW - we went through ATL on the Thursday before Good Friday around 4 pm and it was bad, very bad. However, bypass was no better since another car we were travelling with (didn't know them) ended up back with us at the south end. How often does that occur?

Mickeymousemom - in rechecking the map I see where you probably go down 65 out of Nashville. If so, what route do you take after going around Montgomery?

I live in Alabama. The best way to get to I75 from I65 is to get off in Birmingham. Then get on US highway 280. It changes into 520 in GA and it runs directly into I75 in Tifton. This is going to be a lot quicker than going all they way down to Montgomery and then having to backtrack up to 75.

BTW 280 is a really quiet road (hardly anybody compared to 75). You will have to go 65 or 70 but it will still be quicker than going through Montgomery.

I am not from the Atlanta area but we travel there alot. (We love Stone Mountain). Mabye we are just speed demons but I have never found 285 to be scary and most of the time we are pulling a camper. We always take the 285 to 675 route and don't normally have any major problems. I hate sitting in traffice so we have invested in an affordable GPS and if traffic starts slowing down I hit detour. I would rather take the back roads than sit in traffic I just don't have enough patience.

I live in Alabama. The best way to get to I75 from I65 is to get off in Birmingham. Then get on US highway 280. It changes into 520 in GA and it runs directly into I75 in Tifton. This is going to be a lot quicker than going all they way down to Montgomery and then having to backtrack up to 75.

BTW 280 is a really quiet road (hardly anybody compared to 75). You will have to go 65 or 70 but it will still be quicker than going through Montgomery.

Thanks for the information. If there isn't a lot of traffic it would easier than the interestate with construction, etc. I was also wondering about 231 out of Montgomery down to I 70 in Florida and then across the panhandle to I 75 South. Everything looks so much easier on the map than it actually is.

Thanks dlaushey and kaysmommie!

So excited to get on the road- even with what sounds like horrendous traffic and potential delays :rotfl:

Thanks for the information. If there isn't a lot of traffic it would easier than the interestate with construction, etc. I was also wondering about 231 out of Montgomery down to I 70 in Florida and then across the panhandle to I 75 South. Everything looks so much easier on the map than it actually is.

We actually did that route from Chicago...I think we took 57 until somewhere in TN and hooked onto I-65 all the way through Alabama to 231 to 10. There may have been one little road in there and I'll see if I can find the exact directions. We took the same route home and made excellent time. On the way down we were sidetracked by a rash of tornadoes going through (no one was hurt according to the news we were listening too!) but it was a nice drive. I asked DH if we would go the 75 through Georgia this time and his was a definite no. We'll be going through Alabama again.

Ty

TyRy Thanks for the information. I am already jumping for joy that we won't have to drive through or around Atlanta.

This is really more of a Transportation Board topic than Theme Parks.. so I'll be moving it over to the Transportation Board.

Thanks!

Knox

Taking 65/231/10 from Chicago is going to add about 90 miles to your trip plus additional time because of the time spent on non-Interstate roads.. The time we did it, it added 2 hours to the trip.

Construction ends in Atlanta when pigs fly. :) And I totally agree about the Friday thing. Its a horrible day to drive thru. A couple years ago, we hit the northside of the city around 3:30(Friday). We hit the southside about 3 and half hours later. No kidding. We were a bit south of downtown and looking at the map I told Dh to take the next exit. We did, and drove thru several small towns(very cute and historic, BTW), cutting back to 75 about 30 minutes later.
We live in Indiana and usually leave on a Friday, so decided to try going thru Alabama. It worked. We missed Atlanta altogether and our time wasn't much different than if we had taken 75.
If you hit Atlanta at the right time, you get right thru on 75 with no problem. The thing is, anymore its hard to know when the "right time" is. :rolleyes:

I always go through Atlanta at about 10:30 at night (going down there) and have no problems!!! Coming home, I go through about 2 in the afternoon, but it's usually a Sunday, so it's usually not a big deal either.

How have the delays been?

It was slow for about a mile around 5pm yesterday. Only northbound. They're working on an area with lots of exits and is also called the "Grady Curve" which is always slow anyway.

I wouldn't try to go around it.

I looked at the map this weekend and it doesn't seem like you are on 285 very long...does it ever get backed up? The speed thing doesn't scare us as we regulary drive on 294 and 290 in Chicago where going 80 puts you in one of the "slow" lanes.

Ty

TyRy Thanks for the information. I am already jumping for joy that we won't have to drive through or around Atlanta.

Disney grandma - found these notes while I was looking for something else...they may help. I got all of this from another Diser - just can't remember who at the moment...the thread is probably buried on here somewhere:

GOING AL, BUT CUTTING BACK TO GA
We are from Arkansas, but we also try to avoid Atlanta. Our route is 280 from Birmingham to Columbus, Georgia, then 22/96 from Columbus to I-75. This conects you to I-75 about 25 miles south of Macon, Georgia. 280 and 22/96 are both divided highways with higher rates of speed, and less stopping than going through Dothan.
Honestly, this is probably a better route. We were planning a variation on this (we would be hitting 280 in Alexander City) when we were going to drive for this trip. I can't speak for 22/96 (never been on those), but 280 is definitely much more wide open and driver friendly than 231, and the only point of staying off I-75 is to get around Atlanta, so it makes sense to get back on it ASAP.

All the way to I-10
Just stay on I 65 until you get to Montgomery - then take I85 get off on exit 9 - right turn - when the road ends turn left on US 231. You can stay on US 231 until it gets to I 10 in Florida. Stay on I 10 until it get to I75.

if AAA is telling you to take on I85 exit 6 - don't - go a little further take exit 9 (the next exit) - you will be happily surprised at the time saved.... (plus you won't get lost). (turn right - this roads ends at US 231 - turn left)

231 is very clearly marked. If you take the Exit 9 route off of I-85, that road will end at 231, hang a left, then you have to make a right turn in Dothan, but that is clearly marked as well.

As for traffic, the only traffic on I-65 around Montgomery is during morning rush hour. Afternoon might be a little heavy, but there should be no stopping unless there is an accident.

AL ADVICE
If you go Ala - be carefully of the Al state troopers - there are more along US 231 than the Interstates. (college students going to the beach) but unlike Ga they will let you go a few miles over the speed limit - they are looking for dangerous behavior. excess speeding (over 80 mph - remember college kids), going back and forth between the lanes, drunk driving - or being distracted while you are driving (college kids).

People on I 10 can be fast - so you might see more Florida state troopers - they don't seem to mind 75 mph and even 80 mph - it is cars going over a 100 mph that they seem to stop. Now we stay on I-65 to Montgomery, then get on Hwy 231 to Tallahassee, then get on I-10 until we hit I-75 to go down to Orlando. The drive is shorter and 30 to 45 minutes quicker.

I looked at the map this weekend and it doesn't seem like you are on 285 very long...does it ever get backed up? The speed thing doesn't scare us as we regulary drive on 294 and 290 in Chicago where going 80 puts you in one of the "slow" lanes.

Ty

Yes, 285 gets just as backed up sometimes worse then the connector through the city. It all depends on the day of the week and time also if there's accidents etc. When you get near the city listen to 750AM. They do the most traffic reports of anyone but like someone else said they do go fast so listen for "perimeter" which is 285 or "connector" which is 75/85 through the city.

Also the repaving through the city is slated to go on from now until November. Every weekend from Friday at 9pm until Monday at 5am unless it's raining. This past weekend was the start of it b/c they cancelled it the previous two weekends due to rain. I drive 285 almost everyday and it's not that bad. You do not have to go 85-90 mph. I don't and have never had an accident on that road or been run over. Just stay in the 3 right lanes if you've never driven on it. I do agree with someone else that if you need to do a potty break take it before you get to the city. It's just easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter