BEWARE! If you are driving through Atlanta to get to Disney!

I do like to drive fast but I have never noticed anything special about 285 in ATL. I guess its wider than some people are used to. If you drive slow just stay in the far right lane. Frankly that goes for ANY highway, if you are going the speed limit you belong in the right lane. Nothing bugs me more than drivers who create jams and holdups by doing 65 in the left lane. :headache:

I know that they are doing the majority of the construction work on the weekends--we are driving down on a Saturday, and will probably hit ATL around 11am-12pm--so would it be quicker for us to stay on 75 or take 285--or some other option. We are coming from Cincy, so it is pretty much a straight shot down 75--but we just want the quickest/best way to get through Atlanta. (We are coming down in June) TIA for any help--Jen

I know that they are doing the majority of the construction work on the weekends--we are driving down on a Saturday, and will probably hit ATL around 11am-12pm--so would it be quicker for us to stay on 75 or take 285--or some other option. We are coming from Cincy, so it is pretty much a straight shot down 75--but we just want the quickest/best way to get through Atlanta. (We are coming down in June) TIA for any help--Jen

So far, the DOT has only been working on the Northbound lanes - blocking 3 lanes. If thats still the case in June, you'll be fine staying on I-75. What I would suggest is as you get within 20 or so miles of Atlanta (say around exit 271), dial 5-1-1 for the current traffic information and possible alternate routes. Also, as you get closer to the city, the electronic signs should provide information as to where the construction is and estimated travel times.

The DOT has cancelled the I-85/I-75 connector repaving this weekend (5/9-5/11). Just thought I would update this thread.

Also as of last week they have started repaving the south bound lanes.

Check this website out: http://www.georgia-navigator.com/

Shows you real-time traffic & construction info for Atlanta (along with webcam shots, real-time alerts and historical traffic data). What I've been doing is checking travel times during the window that we plan on going through, to make sure rush hour is over. I also plan on looking it up just before getting there in case of accidents. (We will be going through on a late Tuesday morning.)

I've also read on http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlanta/ that 285 can sometimes get bogged down worse than 75.

I've been doing LOTS of research on ATL traffic, cause of our ATL arrival time. But a nice breakfast stop will cure that.

I plan on taking the i 75 route through atlanta in july. I will be staying the night in Dalton georgia on saturday the 19 of july. I will be on the road the sunday morning before 7am. That should put me in atlanta around 8:30. I assume traffic won' be an issue at that time on a sunday morning.
Since they are working on southbound lanes now, they should be pretty much done by mid july. Or so you would think.
Can anyone help me with what to expect at this time on a sunday morning.

P.S. i plan on using the HOV lane.

I plan on taking the i 75 route through atlanta in july. I will be staying the night in Dalton georgia on saturday the 19 of july. I will be on the road the sunday morning before 7am. That should put me in atlanta around 8:30. I assume traffic won' be an issue at that time on a sunday morning.
Since they are working on southbound lanes now, they should be pretty much done by mid july. Or so you would think.
Can anyone help me with what to expect at this time on a sunday morning.

P.S. i plan on using the HOV lane.

Can anyone help me on the above^

I'll try! So far, the DOT has canceled 3 weekends due to inclement weather (or the threat of inclement weather). The repaving project was originally slated from April until November. Of the past 6 weeks scheduled, repaving has only taken place over 3 weekends. Two of those were northbound lanes, last weekend was southbound. They close 3 lanes, so traffic tends to get really backed up on whichever side they'll be working.

Normally, 8:30am on a Sunday morning you can just zip right down I-75. With this construction............... :confused3

My best advice is to check on one of the Georgia D.O.T. websites (WeLubDeeDub referenced 2 websites in an earlier post), several days before you start your trip - I would think they should reveal which lanes are scheduled for closure that weekend. Then, as you approach the Atlanta area on I-75 (maybe around Cartersville), call 5-1-1 for the latest traffic -- they will offer alternate routes around any major tie-ups.

Any construction updates?? Are any southbound lanes completed yet?? Is the southbound HOV lane affected in any way??

Thanks.

Any construction updates?? Are any southbound lanes completed yet?? Is the southbound HOV lane affected in any way??

Thanks.

This weekend they're doing southbound exit ramps. They seem to be doing southbound one weekend, northbound the next. The alt street route is going to be a problem this weekend with a sink hole that developed last night.

Overall, it's caused some backups, but nothing worse then a Braves game. (maybe 30-45 minute backup)

Last weekend the delay THROUGH downtown was over an hour! That's the average delay. So Sat at 11 am it's probably that high or higher.

On page one I posted the GA Navigator link. Look there before you leave and if there is ANY construction take I-285. They have BIG signs to warn you, read them and BELIEVE them. (Actually figure they are being nice and the delay is WORSE then they say!)

Everything is effected on the weekends. If it's the other way, it's the people watching etc...

Trust me it's not "like a braves" game. It's a LOT worse. My co worker was caught in it for two hours Sunday morning on his way to church. (He missed the service LOL!)

Do not assume since you are driving on Sat or Sun "traffic won't be an issue" We have NORMAL traffic reports on the news here on Sat and Sunday even without this mess!

If you're driving down this weekend through ATL, this is from georgia-navigator.com:

AVOID I-75/85 SOUTHBOUND THIS WEEKEND
9 pm Fri. June 13 - 5 am Mon. June 16: Major lane and ramp closures are scheduled this weekend on the Downtown Connector southbound:
- 3 right lanes closed between Williams St. and University Ave.
- 1 lane closed on I-20 entrance and exit ramps
Ramps closed:
- Jesse Hill Dr.
- Ellis St.
- Freedom Pkwy.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Dr.
- Fulton St.
- Pulliam St.
- Ralph David Abernathy Blvd.

Motorists traveling to events downtown are strongly advised to take transit or use alternate routes. Travelers passing through are urged to use I-285 and go around the city. For more information on this project, click here. For real-time travel information 24 hours a day, call 511.

I notice that this coming weekend there are no southbound lane closures. Does this mean that at least some of the southbound lanes are complete?? Is the southbound HOV lane complete??
I am hoping there isn't any work southbound the saturday of July 19 when i will be going through.

I notice that this coming weekend there are no southbound lane closures. Does this mean that at least some of the southbound lanes are complete?? Is the southbound HOV lane complete??
I am hoping there isn't any work southbound the saturday of July 19 when i will be going through.

Sometimes they alternate between the lanes. Also, depending when you're going, you may want to learn how to navigate the side streets until you get pass the bottlenecks. Also, in some cases, you'll be better off just riding through the bottlenecks, instead of taking those long detours.

Nothing is complete yet!

I don't think so. They are doing things in sections. So it's one section at a time, one or both directions at a time. It's going to take all summer!

I don't think so. They are doing things in sections. So it's one section at a time, one or both directions at a time. It's going to take all summer!

So what can i expect driving through?? Will i be driving on paved roads??

The roads are paved. You can expect significant delays if you choose to attempt to drive through downtown as we funnel several lanes of traffic to one or two

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!