BEST way to SURPRISE your KIDS!??

We surprised our kinds (DS3 and DD5) last month. It was a last minute trip and we didn't even know if we would be able to go so we decided to wait until last minute.

Ever since our trip in Sept. 2012 they've been talking about going back (that was their 2nd trip). We originally weren't supposed to return on November 2014 but then plans changed.

They always were saying how they wished we could go back to Disney "the next day". OK, more so our 5 y/o but DS would also say "I go back to Disney" and she would tell him "don't worry, mommy and daddy will take us soon" even though we told her she would be 6 the next time we go.

So that Friday, I left work early to pack and when DH got home we had the car all packed and ready to go and walked next door to pick them up. DH asked them what they wanted to do that weekend since we talked about doing something special. DD said "I wish we could go to Disney" so we said "OK let's go!" The look on her face was priceless!

Even as we got in the car she kept saying "are we really going?" It was so much fun to surprise them!

I am having a great time reading these. We are planning on surprising DD next year in October. DH has it planned out where we will tell her that we have to travel to Orlando for my work and we wish we could go to Disney but we just can't afford it. I will try to make reservations for the night we arrive at Ohana so we can watch fireworks from the Poly beach and DH will say that is as close as we can get but at least we got to see what it looks like. Then the next day we will board the bus to MK (we are staying at POP) and see how long it takes her to figure out where she is going. She is a pretty clueless kid so we are figuring that it will take awhile to sink in. :lmao:

Ok this is my 1st trip & my 3 kids(ages:7,7&14), my husband has been as a kid been lots has changed since then. I've been making crafts & planning for almost a yr. I'm soooooooo ready to go & see my kids faces. But, I not sure how I want to tell them. ANY IDEAS???
We are going to Seaworld the 1st day, before we even check in. So, I thinking if I would be crazy if I didn't tell them until the got there. Would that be wrong of me? This is my idea: Walk out Seaworld before the kids & write on our van "NEXT STOP DISNEY WORLD" & draw Mickey heads on the windows.
I also made up welcome buckets(mom style), but not putting them out until 1st morning of Disney (while kids sleeping after Seaworld). What u think? Ideas?
Thanks,
1st Timer:tinker:

We're giving our girls each a Kindle this Christmas. Thinking of downloading a paint app, then writing "We are going to Disney!" on the screen, and letting them open their present early (day we leave). Double whammy. Going Dec. 15th-20th.

Love that idea!!:thumbsup2
We're also giving our kids trip to Disney for Christmas, but it's our 1st. Still trying to plan out the surprise. Going Dec. 21st-27th. :santa:

My parents surprised me with my one and only trip as a child when I was either 4 or 5. I still remember it :lovestruc Of course, that involved being carried out to our conversion van in the middle of the night and loading up for a 20+ hour drive, but it was worth it :)

We just booked our first ever trip as a family. My husband has never visited Disney, and my kids have never been. They will be almost 10, 7, and almost 4 when we travel. They have no idea :)

We were debating Dec. vs. Feb, but settled on February for a few reasons. I am bummed to miss out on the decorations (and free dining ;) ), but Feb is probably better for us. As a side benefit, we are now planning to do a Christmas morning scavenger hunt to reveal the surprise. They'll get their normal presents, but we'll probably do a scavenger hunt and maybe at the end have a few Disney items they'll need. They haven't seen many of the movies oddly enough, so they'll need some Disney DVD bootcamp over the holidays LOL. I'm also thinking of shirts, autograph books, and maybe convertible pants since weather is unpredictable at that time of the year.

My husband and I are having a tough time keeping it a secret though! :) So exciting.

On our last trip, we had originally been planning a Christmas trip where we would drive our trailer out and stay at Ft. Wilderness. One of the promotions rolled around in September, plus a really good deal on airfare, and we decided to bump the dates up.

The weekend before we were due to leave our 3 boys went to stay with Gran & Grandpa for the weekend, giving us time to pack everything. We drove to the airport at 0-dark thirty, and the boys were woken up saying that we had car trouble and had to be picked up. So they get there with Gran & Grandpa, we're waiting at the curb, and we break the news to them that we're not going to be able to afford to go to Disney at Christmas. Pause a moment for disappointment to sink in, then explain it's because we're leaving in 2 hours. :) Plus, their Gran is coming with us.

Now have to decide how to top that this year...

Love reading all of these!
We usually go every other year, but told DD (11) that we have to skip this year since we went to Aulani last fall, but that maybe we could go Spring Break 2014. We're planning on going Dec 20-27th this year and she has NO IDEA!
She's helping us "plan" the spring trip, picking ADRs and such! Its a good thing we're usually long term planners because she doesn't think its unusual that we've been talking Disney so much lately!
That being said, I'm torn on how to surprise her. I really do not want to give her a week or few days notice, its going to be mid term exams and she will be so happy for Disney I want her to focus! We've told her we're going to the mountains for a few days and are picking her up from school after exams.
I know I want to tell her in the car, my husband nix the idea of a sign on the car saying "You're going to Disney, get in the car!", he says its too childish for a middle schooler! (Heh, I would have loved it!)
So how about having her open something I've bought for her to wear on the trip...Mouse Ears?, something exclusively Disney.
I've perused YouTube, enough times I've cried my eyes out! popcorn::

Back in 1999, my parents surprised my brothers and I with a trip in October. They just let us sleep in, and when we woke up and ran into their room to ask why they had forgotten to get us up for school, they just said "But you're not going to school. We're going to Disney World, didn't we tell you?" We refused to believe they were serious even after seeing the suitcases packed. It wasn't until we got through airport security that we realized they weren't just screwing with us.

And then the first night we had a knock on our hotel room door from room service; it was our grandparents. And later in the week, my dad took my youngest brother (only 9mo at the time) back to the room to stay with my grandparents for a nap, and came back with his sister from NC in tow! :hyper: It was a great trip.

I wish there was a way to turn the tables and surprise them, but it's much more difficult to arrange work vacation time behind their back lol

I've loved reading through these, there are some great surprises here :)

We are going in April and have so far managed to keep the trip a surprise from our DDs (7 and 5.) We took them for the first time in 2012 and they're desperate to go back but when we booked the trip five months ago, we decided to make it a surprise

Originally we were going to tell them right at the last minute as others have done, but I don't think I can keep my mouth shut much longer so we've decided to do a Christmas Day reveal

I have bought Mickey and Minnie soft toy personalised with 'See You In April' and their names to wrap in a box for the main surprise, and there will be other little presents for the trip like personalised autograph books and Disney t-shirts

We are currently trying to throw them off the scent by saying that we can't afford a vacation next year. Part of me wishes we were keeping it a secret right up until we leave, but I am looking forward to being able to talk about the trip with the girls and get excited together

We are leaving in 3 weeks for Walt Disney World.
I wanted to do the up to the last minute surprise, but then thought about our 7 yr old daughter (who has been asking to go since we took her for her 4th birthday); she really likes to anticipate, prepare - count down. So decided best to make her 2 week out Count Down Calendar on large poster board - whith miniie and mickey faces she has to remove each night until we leave.
It's not too much of a wait, and not too short so she has time to get excited!
We told her we would go for her 8th Birthday (next June) - but decided to go in October when crowds and heat our down.
I've bought her princess dresses (hopefully she doesn't feel too old to wear)
disney goodie bag I put together as we were planning for the plane; A personalized Disney gift card - that has her photo kissing mickey on the nose wearing a minnie dress when she was 4 and we went.
I'm excited -hopefully she will be thrilled as well!

I just have to say to be careful for people planning a first visit. There are a ton of YouTube videos of kids not responding well to a last minute surprise - crying about not wanting to get on a plane, "but I thought we were going to grandmas! :(", etc. whatever awesome surprise - give the kids some time to process

Unless you've been before and they know the drill - then last min can be pretty awesome :)

Our favorite video is a local kid whose mom surprised him by driving to the park instead of school. He's CONVINCED (even after seeing the big entry gate) that she's trying to take him to the dentist <3

I just have to say to be careful for people planning a first visit. There are a ton of YouTube videos of kids not responding well to a last minute surprise - crying about not wanting to get on a plane, "but I thought we were going to grandmas! :(", etc. whatever awesome surprise - give the kids some time to process Unless you've been before and they know the drill - then last min can be pretty awesome :) Our favorite video is a local kid whose mom surprised him by driving to the park instead of school. He's CONVINCED (even after seeing the big entry gate) that she's trying to take him to the dentist <3

Oh my goodness, I know! I saw some of those videos and felt so bad for the parents because they were anticipating a completely different reaction. But at the same time I do giggle a tiny bit.

My oldest is extremely sensitive about things like that but luckily we were able to work our little white lie out to not include anyone the girls are close to. We're simply dropping off bags at the airport for daddy's friends because their car couldn't hold them all. Once at the airport, it'll turn into a surprise Florida trip, which is no big deal for us as we go to the gulf coast each year. When we land in Orlando, then the surprise is announced. I apologize now if any of you are on our flight, there will likely be lots of squeals of happiness once we land.

Sent from my iPad using the DISBoards app.

We are going dec 10, on dec 9th we are going to the mall to see Santa at a non busy time, right after school. We will have already given the Santa a card or present for the kids. We are then going to open it in a more secluded area so all the other kids inline don't think they are going to get that too. We will have something inside saying that their early Xmas gift is that we are going to disney the next day and flying their. Kids are 17,15,14,7, and 6. We never fly anywhere since there are so many of us so this will be a a dream vacation for all of us!

I've found the best way to keep that from happening is to tell them they're going somewhere they aren't really wanting to go. You could really play it up..."I know you aren't crazy about visiting Uncle Al's, but it's only for a weekend" or "I know you guys wanted to go to Disney, but the mountains are more affordable". Then when you tell, they'll be relieved and excited! ;)

So, mine is a little different. I don't have kids but and surprising my DH with a Disney trip in may! I've had tshirts made and will reveal Christmas morning, via opening a present, as well as some details! I think he'll get just as excited as a child!

I love this thread! I'm in the midst of planning a surprise trip a year from now! Hope to pick my 3 girls up early from school saying Daddy wants to take us to dinner in Pittsburgh and we'll go to the airport - I have about 12 months to iron out details!!

I am planning a surprise for our kids now! :) We are doing our first trip to Disney (even my first!) and my kids have never been on a plane so we decided that telling them in advance would work best rather than surprising them when we get to the airport. Since we leave January 31 it works wonderfully to do a Christmas surprise, just enough time to let them help plan a few things (especially with the new Fast Pass+/Magic Bands) and build some anticipation!
My husband had a puzzle made from a picture of Cinderella's castle with the words Surprise! We're going to Disney World! so on Christmas morning I will give that to them to open first. I think at first they might be irritated I am asking them to put a puzzle together on Christmas morning but I am so excited to see their reaction. We are bringing our 7 and 9 year old and they have been asking so I am sure it will be great. The rest of their presents are Disney related. Cute luggage, character shirts, autograph books, pins/lanyard, a kids 2014 guide to Disney World. I also want to make a Passport book and pressed penny container to throw in. I am torn whether it would be more fun to put everything in the luggage and have it be one big present or wrap everything individually...cause it is a lot individually! Since our toddlers aren't going this time though I may put everything in the luggage since our little ones are also getting a big gift so they won't be getting a bunch of presents to open. I am pretty excited about it, I just received our package from the Disney store yesterday with the character shirts/autograph books/personalized sweaters/guide book!

We did a puzzle also...our trip was in September so in June we started sending them "clues" with a few puzzle pieces in each clue. The clue boxes also contained some "travel" items (travel games, Note pads, etc.) and a poem to give them a few ideas about where they might be going. We gave them the final clue about a month before we left for a few reasons...one we knew they'd want to pack some of their own stuff and two, they needed to decide on their MNSSHP costumes. It worked like a charm and they were very excited, plus it was fun to watch their excitement culminate over the summer! I think next time we go I'll surprise them again...maybe this time surprise them the day of...either way...it's so much fun!!

I'm 14 and the first time my family went I was 6 (?) and my mom made us a scavenger hunt that led to a Disney Countdown calendar. The next time she surprised us was at Christmas and she just gave us $50 in Disney Dollars and told us to figure it out.

We have been planning a Disney scavenger hunt following the kids opening their regular gifts on Christmas morning. They will be 9, 7, and 3 (oldest will be almost 10, youngest will be almost 4 when we travel). We had originally thought about going in early Dec, and I'd love to see the decor. However, we really wanted to be able to announce it at CHristmas. The kids and my DH have never been, and I haven't been there since I was 4-5 yo. (30 yrs ago)

I found a cool, giant "walking Mickey" helium balloon on amazon and had that shipped to work. I think he'll announce our trip at the end of the scavenger hunt. I'm wondering if I could fit him in a giant appliance box :confused3 and when they open it, it could be holding some proclamation of where we are going :)

http://www.amazon.com/Mickey-Mouse-...qid=1382527559&sr=8-1&keywords=walking+mickey

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter