Best and Worst of an Adults Only Trip?

Just wanted to put out the idea of doing a Best & Worst things to do on an Adults Only Trip. I know I saw something like this post recently on the Dreams Unlimited channel, but I'd just love to see Ryno, Craig, Charles (and I guess Corey now's) opinion on this subject.
If they're going to do a show on taking an "adults only" trip, the panel needs to include parents who can actually speak to the differences between going with and without their kids. For Ryno, Craig, and Charles, every trip is adults only (unless they bring some extended family members). So I think it's a good topic but only if they include Julie and Corey, Jackie, Teresa, Kathy, etc.

Dreams did do a show - but it was more around how traveling as adults only differs from with kids/family. It was interesting and useful but definitely agree that a "best/worst" episode would be great and would not duplicate what was covered on that show

I definitely would be interested as we have our first parent's only trip coming up this August! (mostly so far we are planning more evening activities - can stay out later ... and more involving drinking!)

If they're going to do a show on taking an "adults only" trip, the panel needs to include parents who can actually speak to the differences between going with and without their kids. For Ryno, Craig, and Charles, every trip is adults only (unless they bring some extended family members). So I think it's a good topic but only if they include Julie and Corey, Jackie, Teresa, Kathy, etc.

good point - on the Dreams show they had Tracey and another agent (sorry, forget her name) who have kids but they are now older so are now traveling more without kids and I think being able to bring that with/without perspective helped

I definitely would be interested as we have our first parent's only trip coming up this August! (mostly so far we are planning more evening activities - can stay out later ... and more involving drinking!)
Oooh enjoy!
We did 2 adult trips last year to pick up our DCP kid and drive her car home. The younger two didn't go with us over NYE 2017/2018 (we went down early specifically to have NYE in Epcot-program ended Jan 4 or 5). So much fun and NOT something I'd do with younger kids!
2nd one was August to pick up from 2nd program-happened to be DH's birthday, and our anniversary. We did a tour (Wild Africa Trek with DD CM discount) that we wouldn't have done with the other kids, stayed at AKL and went to Jiko for our anniversary, hung around pool, bar hopped-all stuff we wouldn't have been able to do with the kids. We could choose to wait in a longer line if we wanted without hearing complaints. Went to Universal to meet friends and ended the night at Strongwater Tavern-something we couldn't have done with kids. Sure we missed them, but they had been several times already the past year.
I did see a same day CRT come up-but that was something I didn't want to do without all the kids so we passed. Snagged a same day Cali Grill at fireworks time instead. They were both shorter trips (7 days or less) with a purpose, so easier to leave "parent guilt" behind. But DH and I generally take a trip without kids once a year.

Oooh enjoy!
We did 2 adult trips last year to pick up our DCP kid and drive her car home. The younger two didn't go with us over NYE 2017/2018 (we went down early specifically to have NYE in Epcot-program ended Jan 4 or 5). So much fun and NOT something I'd do with younger kids!
2nd one was August to pick up from 2nd program-happened to be DH's birthday, and our anniversary. We did a tour (Wild Africa Trek with DD CM discount) that we wouldn't have done with the other kids, stayed at AKL and went to Jiko for our anniversary, hung around pool, bar hopped-all stuff we wouldn't have been able to do with the kids. We could choose to wait in a longer line if we wanted without hearing complaints. Went to Universal to meet friends and ended the night at Strongwater Tavern-something we couldn't have done with kids. Sure we missed them, but they had been several times already the past year.
I did see a same day CRT come up-but that was something I didn't want to do without all the kids so we passed. Snagged a same day Cali Grill at fireworks time instead. They were both shorter trips (7 days or less) with a purpose, so easier to leave "parent guilt" behind. But DH and I generally take a trip without kids once a year.

Sounds like similar to plans we have - we are eating at some "new to us" location that feel more like "date night" spots - Flying Fish, Jiko, etc. and are doing the Illuminations dining package at Rose and Crown to say goodbye to that show, etc. And with the kids usually we do 1 character meal, but not doing any this trip

Also big difference is with the kids we usually drive down and stay off site but since just the two of us we can afford to fly and got group rates to stay onsite and leverage Magical Express, etc.

I agree with prior posters, in that it would need to a panel primarily of individuals with kids. I have gone as a pre-teen and teenager, but never have traveled with children ever. So I could say plenty about adult only trips but with no context.

For example, if you asked me an 8 year old's bed time, I would have no idea. Or at what age do children no longer need naps?

Yeah...I think it's tough to really get a good perspective without the panel being comprised of parents/guardians who are accustomed to Disney with kids. DH and I had a kid free trip back in 2014 (last kid free trip to WDW was 1998- pre kids!) and it was so different (at least it felt like it) than just being a trip for people who don't have children. It becomes this blend of doing all of the things you wouldn't normally do with the kids as well as seeing what you're good with doing without them (since certain things feel weird because all of the family memories and experiences). In a similar vein, I may be going with a friend next January. I haven't been with a friend of any kind since the early to mid 1990s. i.e. we have different Disney history and likes/dislikes, our family trips operate a bit differently than theirs since her kids (and her for that matter) are younger and not into more thrilling rides, so it's even different than just going as myself and DH. If anything...all of this is making me think it's really just going to WDW without all of your normal travel companions.

I regularly do solo trips to WDW when I travel to FL for work, and I've also done a number of family trips there. I don't know if you would include a solo trip as an adult-only trip, but I really enjoy both the family trips and my solo trips. When I'm solo I can cover a lot of ground and do all of my favorite attractions. I usually don't want a big sit-down meal when I'm solo, so I enjoy going to a lounge and having an appetizer and a cocktail.

My wife and I have gone both with and without our daughter on numerous occasions. The adult-only trips are entirely different and much more enjoyable overall. It's only natural that we have some different interests and habits than our daughter. We're 30+ years older than her. Our schedule is different. Our eating habits are different. Our pace is different. Our likes and dislikes regarding how we want to spend our time are different. When our daughter is with us, we need to compromise on a lot of things so that she enjoys herself. Without her, we can do what we want to do. It's a much freer experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter