BELLE & THE 3 BEASTS-June 9-17,2012-**UPDATED 11/27** THE END

CHAPTER 9 – DAY SEVEN
TYPHOON LAGOON/SPECIAL BIRTHDAY CAKE/BY MYSELF
Friday, June 15
We were able to sleep in again this morning since we were going to Typhoon Lagoon. We did our usual routine. Doug and I had coffee on the balcony; boys got breakfast at Roaring Forks. I grabbed a banana and water on the way to the bus.
We arrived and grabbed seats near Let’s Go Slurpin’ where the adult beverages are. The boys and I headed off to Castaway Creek. After that, we did the family tube ride and the other two tube rides. After that we set out to find Crush ‘n’ Gusher. Not only had we never been on it before but we were never to that area of the park. Actually, the last time we were at TL was in 2000 and Zach was only 5 so we wouldn’t have gone on it anyway.
Because I did not know what to expect, I decided to do the two man ride with Jesse. Zach rode single rider. It was SO much fun. When we got off, we tried to find Zach but couldn’t so we rode again on the single rider. By this time we were starving so we headed back. We found Zach with Doug having a soda. Doug had a seat for me so I got a wonderful pina colada with blue curacao – yum! Sorry for the lack of pictures but I don’t bring my camera to the waterparks.
We all decided to have lunch. Doug and Zach had turkey legs. Zach waited for Typhoon Lagoon to have his turkey leg because he KNEW I wanted a picture of him eating it and he knew he would be safe because I didn’t have my camera. I ended up with a hot dog and I don’t remember what Jesse had.
After we ate, we decided to go over to Shark Reef. I had told Zach about the snorkeling with sharks and he was interested. I had never snorkeled before and am a little claustrophobic so I was a bit nervous. Jesse decided not to snorkel so he just watched. Zach and I got in line and a funny thing happened. I bug landed on my leg and I whacked it. It fell dead at my feet. Out of the corner of my eye I saw movement. One of the little lizards that are all over Florida came running down a bush jumped off and ran right over my foot, grabbed the bug and disappeared into the bushes. It was so funny!
The sky was starting to get dark and we were still in line. We made it to the front, listened to the instructions and waited for our turn. We got in the water and they warned us that it would be cold. WOW, they were right! It was SO much fun! I ended up loving it. It was starting to rain now so we headed over to Doug and decided to go back. We had done everything we wanted to.

We all went back to the room – I think I may have dozed a bit. We all showered and dressed and walked down to the boat dock. Our plan was to take the boat to the Contemporary and then take the monorail to the Polynesian.
I’ve always loved the mosaics at the Contemporary.
242.jpg

We hopped the monorail to the Polynesian.
243.jpg

We were early so we wandered around to look at the grounds.
245.jpg

247.jpg

The boys stopped at the arcade and Doug and I wandered outside to look at the pool and the building where we stayed on our Honeymoon. It used to be called Samoa but they have changed the name to Tuvalu and it is now a smoking building.
We walked back inside and checked out Captain Cooks. They had a MUCH better selection than Roaring Forks. It was about time for our ressie so we headed back upstairs.
I was really excited about our dinner plans tonight. I had ordered a special birthday cake for Zach from the Grand Floridian Bakery and was having it delivered to us at Kona. I was so nervous. Today was Friday and his birthday was on Saturday but I was having the cake a day early because we were leaving on Sunday. I was hoping to not have to take the cake home on the plane.
250.jpg

256.jpg

We were seated at a table right near the front of the restaurant. They brought out THE BREAD (shout out to Jess!)!!!
251.jpg

This is SO good and I just love the butter with the macadamia nuts. I could literally just eat the entire butter myself. None of the guys liked the butter – they just like plain butter, go figure. So I did eat pretty much of it myself even though I knew I needed to save room for the cake. And here was our mistake. We all ordered too much. This is the point when you are nearing the end of vacation and you are beginning to get full from all the food you’ve eaten all week long. I really should have just ordered a salad. Instead I ordered the Tuna Oscar which was served with fried green tomatoes; tempura fried jumbo lump crab and wasabi hollandaise sauce. Sorry, I started eating before I took the picture.
252.jpg

Jesse got the Shrimp and Scallops – Panko breaded shrimp and pan seared scallops with sticky rice.
253.jpg

Doug and Zach got an order each of the sticky wings appetizer. Doug was just going to eat half of it and give the rest to Zach for his dinner. Doug ordered the Ginger crusted Rib Eye for his dinner.
254.jpg

We were all so stuffed and we didn’t even finish our meals and there was still cake to come. I had a hard time enjoying this meal because I was so nervous about the cake. Then Zach said he was going to use the restroom and I was afraid it would come while he was gone.
I was facing the back of the room so I could see the cake coming. They lit it up and brought it out. It was perfect!!!!!
257.jpg

260.jpg

261.jpg

262.jpg

I had asked Zach a few months prior to the trip what Disney movie and characters were his favorite and he had said Toy Story and Slinky Dog and Buzz. I knew I wanted the background to reflect the wallpaper from Andy’s room especially because of Toy Story 3 and Andy going away to college. I knew it would be less than a year until my “Andy” goes away to school. SNIFF
The cake was not only pretty but it really tasted good too! I got vanilla cake with white chocolate mousse filling and vanilla buttercream icing under the fondant. Zach always requests ice cream cakes at home since he’s not really crazy about cake but I really wanted him to have something special. He ate poor Slinky Dog and Buzz right away! The boys even thought that the fondant was good. I’m not a fan of the taste of fondant so I scraped my icing off of it. Now we all were insanely stuffed.
The plan had been to all go over to the Magic Kingdom because there were Extra Magic Hours and it was open until 2:00AM and Doug wanted to get on Space Mountain since he didn’t stay with us the other day. Well Zach and Doug were so full they did not want to go. So we all rode the monorail to Magic Kingdom and Jesse and I went in. Doug and Zach took the boat back to the Lodge.
When we headed in, they were getting set up for the parade and they were sending people to the right and out a gate BEHIND the buildings on Main Street. The same area I saw on the Keys to the Kingdom tour! We came out near Tomorrowland and rounded the corner and saw the Tomorrowland Noodle Station and it was OPEN!!!! I know many people have never seen this place open. I stopped right in my tracks and looked in amazement. Jesse had no clue. I failed to take a picture – sorry guys!
Jesse and I headed straight back to Space Mountain but the standby was 70 minutes -uh, no thanks! We weaved through the Electrical Parade crowds and headed to Haunted Mansion.
263.jpg

After we rode that, we went to Big Thunder Mountain. I have never ridden it at night and was looking forward to it.
264.jpg

Jesse wanted to ride Pirates so we headed over that way passing Tortuga Tavern. I had wanted to eat there but we ran out of time.
265.jpg

After Pirates, Jesse decided to bail on me. He had gone on everything he wanted to see and had no interest in Fantasyland where I wanted to head to go. I decided to stay by myself. We walked to Main Street and headed in opposite directions.
267.jpg

I have to say I really enjoyed my alone time. I stopped at Mickey’s Philharmagic first. It’s such a cute show. After that, I braved the line at Peter Pan – 40 minutes. Not horrible but it looked a lot shorter than it was. It weaved around quite a bit. The CM’s were funny when I got to my turn. “How many?” “One” I told them that all the guys had abandoned me and they just seemed to treat me all the sweeter. After I rode PP, I walked over to Small World. I got the back seat all to myself. Then I went on Winnie the Pooh.
268.jpg

I decided after that to walk over and look at the new Dumbo area. It was really cute!
270.jpg

I decided to head back and wandered through all the stores on Main Street. I got back to the room a little after midnight but I had gotten on everything that I wanted to go on so I was happy.

CHAPTER 10 –DAY EIGHT
ZACH TURNS 17/DOUG & LINDA ATTACK WORLD SHOWCASE/MORE STUDIOS
PART ONE
Saturday, June 16

Today my baby turned 17! Yes, today was the official birthday and our last full day. We were planning on doing rope drop at Hollywood Studios since this is the birthday boys’ favorite park. I have been promising to go on Rock ‘n Roller Coaster with him. I had gone once back in ’07 but wasn’t fond of the 0 to 60 part.
We were up early, did the usual coffee on balcony, Roaring Forks, etc. We headed out early so we could get there before opening. We were successful! I headed to Toy Story for Fast Passes and the guys headed over for RnRC. After I got the passes I made my way over there. I found Doug who had ridden once. The boys went back on. We waited for them and then we all went on together.
Feel my joy!
36137350000.jpg

Even though you can’t tell by my face, I did enjoy it. As a matter of fact, we got right back in line and I rode it a second time – yayyy me!
After two rides on RnRC, it was time for my favorite ride again – Tower of Terror!
273.jpg

We headed over to Toy Story Mania to use our Fast Passes. Doug skipped this one since he felt funny on it the last time. I rode with Zach and Jesse rode by himself.
275.jpg

We ended up in Slinky Dog! Zach was happy! He was also happy that he beat me too!
276.jpg

When we came out of TSM, we went into One Man’s Dream. I wanted to see the new Fantasyland.
281.jpg

When we came out of One Man’s Dream, Zach really wanted a Mickey Bar so while he was getting one, I had my picture taken with my favorite ride.
282.jpg

Zach came back and said he got his Mickey Bar for free (***PIXIE DUST***) from the CM because he saw his birthday button. How nice!
We wanted to go on Star Tours. Doug sat this one out so he could get a drink.
284.jpg

When the boys and I came out, we found him seated under an umbrella watching Jedi Training.
286.jpg

This is the first time we’ve seen this. I really wish that this was around when the boys were small. They love Star Wars and would have really had fun with this. The kids were SO cute!!

We were getting hungry so we decided to split up. The boys were going to go back to the room for lunch and Doug and I decided to go to Epcot for snacks and drinks – a lesser version of our rained out evening plan.
We went down to the dock for the boat to Epcot and saw this guy floating in the water.
287.jpg

I love the ride between the two parks. Our first stop upon arriving at Epcot was the Rose & Crown Pub.
289.jpg

Doug got a beer. I have been dying to try the Scotch Eggs. I had them before at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire and I wanted to try them here. We decided to split an order since we had other things we wanted to try.
291.jpg

They were absolutely delicious. They are hard boiled eggs surrounded by ground sausage and then they are deep fried. They are served with a mustard sauce and some toasted bread.
We really enjoyed them. Our bartender was a really nice guy from Ireland. We enjoyed talking with him and learning about his stay in the US.
290.jpg

We headed toward France and on the way I saw one of my favorite characters – Marie! The Aristocats was one of my favorite Disney movies.
292.jpg

293.jpg

We went into France for some wine tasting. The male CM who served us was the only CM on the whole trip who was not friendly.
294.jpg

After France, we went to Japan for some Sake. You have to walk all the way through the store to the very back to find it.
295.jpg

The CM Kaori was such a sweetie. She was so funny and nice. After my tasting she helped me pick out some Japanese candy for Zach to add to his birthday gifts.
Doug and I each tried different types of Sake. His was a very dry one and he got a little cup with his name written in Japanese.
297.jpg

I had this one which was very good.
299.jpg

298.jpg

After the sake, we wandered through the gardens at Japan and looked at the Koi. It is so pretty there.
301.jpg

302.jpg

304.jpg

We passed by America.
305.jpg

And then on to Italy. I had to take pictures of “fake Venice” since we were in real Venice in 2010 for our 25th anniversary.
306.jpg

Such wonderful memories – we had an evening gondola ride!
309.jpg

CHAPTER 10 –DAY EIGHT
ZACH TURNS 17/DOUG & LINDA ATTACK WORLD SHOWCASE/MORE STUDIOS

PART TWO - TOO MANY PICS

Fake St. Mark’s Square. In real Venice the Doges Palace is on the opposite side. I wonder why Disney did not put theirs that way.
We went into the wine shop for some tasting. Doug tasted wine and I had to have limoncello. I had tasted limoncello in Positano, Italy for the first time and it is SO good! They served it very cold here just like in Italy.
310.jpg

311.jpg

312.jpg

We passed by Germany since we had eaten there and we also passed by China. We had a destination in mind.
313.jpg

Norway! I had to try the famous school bread (Thanks Kristen!)
314.jpg

It was delicious! We sat in this cute little area. Doug had a beer.
315.jpg

Our final stop was Mexico.
317.jpg

318.jpg

I wanted to try see La Cava.
319.jpg

320.jpg

I was undecided on which margarita I wanted to try. I had it narrowed down to the jalapeno or the avocado. I decided on the jalapeno because I like spicy things. Bad choice! It was sweet but spicy. I did not like the sweet taste. I also ordered a plate of nachos with sauce which were really good. They helped with the margarita but I still couldn’t finish it. It was just gross!
We were pretty much done by this time so we started heading back to the room and had our picture taken on the way.
321.jpg

Once we got back to the room, we gave Zach his birthday gifts. We were in too much of a rush in the morning to get to the Studios. Except for the candy, I had gotten him gift cards ahead of time. I had not gotten him a card, thinking I could get a cute Disney card. DO NOT LOOK FOR BIRTHDAY CARDS IN DISNEY – they don’t sell them. I asked everywhere!
325.jpg

After relaxing and cleaning up, we headed to the boat dock.
329.jpg

We were headed to the Contemporary. We had dinner plans at Epcot and I wanted to take the monorail there.
330.jpg

331.jpg

332.jpg

333.jpg

335.jpg

We arrived at Epcot, walked through Future World and hopped the boat over to Italy. We were eating at Via Napoli for the first time. My only regret is that we should have eaten there earlier in the week when we still had appetites. I was still a little full from our afternoon of tasting our way around the world.
Jesse and I decided to split a personal margarita pizza.
342.jpg

Doug and Zach split a large sausage pizza.
341.jpg

I had the Rosa Regale which was really good.
340.jpg

I LOVE the pizza ovens named after Italy’s volcanos. This is the cutest idea!
343.jpg

When we were through, we all hoped the boat over to Hollywood Studios. From there, Doug took the bus back to Wilderness Lodge. He was beat. The boys and I wanted to ride our favorite rides a couple more times. I had never road Tower of Terror at night so I wanted to accomplish that.
We headed in and the boys went straight to RnRC. I went to Tower of Terror and rode by myself twice. It was not quite dark at this point. Then I bought my souvenir.
357.jpg

Back of shirt.
358.jpg

The boys were done by the time I rode twice and then we all went on ToT two more times. There was no wait!
Now it was finally dark!
344.jpg

When we were through, we headed over to Star Tours for one last ride.
After that, it was back to the Lodge and time to pack our suitcases. We were leaving tomorrow.

I don't know how I missed the Kona update, but that was great! I just love Kona. And that cake looks and sounds yummy!

I'm glad you said something about Capt Cooks lack of options as compared to Roaring Forks. I thought Capt's was awesome! I am a big fan of the quick serve places at the resorts and I think all the deluxes are lacking in that aspect. Good to know WL has some good options. I think we may be staying there next.

And I love all your pics of World Showcase! Via Napoli was a first for us this July too. Loved it! Can't wait to go back again.

I don't know how I missed the Kona update, but that was great! I just love Kona. And that cake looks and sounds yummy!

I'm glad you said something about Capt Cooks lack of options as compared to Roaring Forks. I thought Capt's was awesome! I am a big fan of the quick serve places at the resorts and I think all the deluxes are lacking in that aspect. Good to know WL has some good options. I think we may be staying there next.

And I love all your pics of World Showcase! Via Napoli was a first for us this July too. Loved it! Can't wait to go back again.

I loved Kona - the cake was awesome!

Captain Cooks actually had the better quick service - Roaring Forks is the one that is lacking. Wouldn't prevent me from going there though - the Lodge is so beautiful!

CHAPTER 11 – DAY NINE – DEPARTURE DAY
GOODBYE TO MY BEAUTIFUL ROOM
Sunday, June 17
We slept a little later this morning. After our good dinner at Whispering Canyon, I had decided to make a breakfast reservation for our final day since our flight was not until the afternoon. We had packed most of our things the night before. We showered and went down for our breakfast.
We were seated right away and got our drinks. It took FOREVER to get our meals. Our server could not believe how long it was taking either. The food was good and I cannot remember what we had, nor did I take pictures – sorry!
After breakfast, we headed back to the room to get our bags. On the way there, I stopped at Roaring Forks and got a container to carry our leftover birthday cake home. We had been too full to finish it.
We were ready before our Magical Express pick up time so we headed to the lobby. Doug got seats and waited with the luggage. I got some last minute souvenirs in the Trading Post and also did my one pin trade. I got an Orange Bird.
360.jpg

Here is a picture of my tired family waiting for the Magical Express.
350.jpg

We exited the building
352.jpg

Bye, bye Lodge!
I had to take a picture of the cute buffalo.
353.jpg

354.jpg

The bus that was waiting was the earlier bus but the driver said we could get on it anyway. Since we were ready, we decided to do just that.
I took a couple more pictures on the way out.
355.jpg

356.jpg

We got to the airport in plenty of time. Our flight was uneventful. We waited a bit for our shuttle back to the hotel where we had left our car. And then we were on our way home.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
This was a really great trip although kind of sad. To me it signifies the end of my kid’s childhood. I don’t know if we will all be back at Disney together again someday or not so I’m glad this trip turned out so well. We had a lot of fun together.

I will say one thing – no more summer trips for us! Our lives will no longer be ruled by the school year so we can go at cooler and less crowded times of the year, although the crowds were not as bad as I thought they would be. We were able to get on everything we wanted to and all our favorite rides many, many times. We really only missed Soarin’ and that was due to our reservation.

I would not hesitate to use Magical Express or order a birthday cake. Both were a success.

Here was my Disney Bucket list that I listed at the beginning of my trip report:
Keys to the Kingdom tour DONE
Go to POFQ and take boat to DTD RAINED OUT
Get a Photopass DECIDED NOT TO
Try Dole Whip TOO FULL WHEN WE WERE NEAR
Try School Bread DONE
Try Grey Goose Slushie TOO FULL WHEN WE WERE NEAR
Ride Jungle Cruise at night TOO CROWDED ON OUR ONLY NIGHT VISIT
Go to La Cava DONE
Go to Fantasmic DONE
Find our brick*** and take a pic DONE

Well I did half of what I wanted to. Doug and I plan to do a Food & Wine Festival trip after the Fantasyland expansion is complete so hopefully I will do everything I didn’t get done then.
I hope you have enjoyed the trip report and that there was some useful information for your upcoming trips.
Hopefully everyone reading this has their own wonderful trip. Thanks for reading!!!

Linda

Oh I feel guilty that you've finished your tr and i have not!

I thought i had commented on your last two updates but see i didn't. You all really did get to do your favorite rides a lot! I'm glad the cake was so yummy. I had not heard great things about the birthday cakes.

I think food and wine makes a good anniversary trip for you two! We are hoping for late October 2013. Maybe we will see you there!

Glad you liked whispering canyon. Is that where you had breakfast the last day too?

Oh I feel guilty that you've finished your tr and i have not!

I thought i had commented on your last two updates but see i didn't. You all really did get to do your favorite rides a lot! I'm glad the cake was so yummy. I had not heard great things about the birthday cakes.

I think food and wine makes a good anniversary trip for you two! We are hoping for late October 2013. Maybe we will see you there!

Glad you liked whispering canyon. Is that where you had breakfast the last day too?

Hey Maire! I should have finished this awhile ago.

The cake was really good - I would not hesitate to order another one.

Would love to go to Food & Wine but we are doing a cruise in the spring so it's not in the cards for us.

We had breakfast at WC on the last day. We had to wait a bit but it was goodl

Just read through your TR. You give me hope that my boys will still enjoy WDW with me when they are grown up!

You have a beautiful family and I enjoyed reading about your trip.

I too, love the WL! I'm really hoping to get back there next December.

PS: I love the "zachy" birthday card/cake!!

Just read through your TR. You give me hope that my boys will still enjoy WDW with me when they are grown up!

You have a beautiful family and I enjoyed reading about your trip.

I too, love the WL! I'm really hoping to get back there next December.

PS: I love the "zachy" birthday card/cake!!

I'm so happy they enjoy going with us too. Many of my friends kids do not want to vacation with their parents. We are very lucky. Enjoy your Disney time when they are little - they grow up TOO fast.
Thanks for reading and glad you enjoyed the TR. Hope you get back to WL soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter