Beginning to think I dodged the DVC bullet :(

You hit the nail on the head here. I was always looking at studios at the resorts near the parks, specifically Boulder Ridge and Boardwalk, which turned out to be the most popular time of year for owners to rent, October thru mid December.

There really are only a few of the DVC resorts that I’m interested in. I have issues with sun sensitivity and have to be careful of UV rays, thus most months of the year are out for me with the Florida sun. Also, I don’t need anything larger than a studio because when I’m on vacation I don’t want to spend my time cooking and doing laundry. I do that the other 51 weeks a year at home ... lol. But being able to do those things are very important to some folks. And there is no way I would pack my stuff up and move around to 2 or 3 resorts within a week to put together a reservation.

My point in making this post was simply to let others who are considering purchasing to realize that there is likely some flexibility required or they may not be happy. Clearly, for me personally, I would be challenged to get what I wanted, where I wanted, and when I wanted even as a member.

I think there is value in you pointing out to potential buyers, that buying in to solely get the cheapest studios, and only wanting to go during a certain 3 month stretch is important for them to know, as they will end up being disappointed if they lack flexibility. Primarily because the cheapest studio's in any resort have the smallest available inventory (something else someone should look into when buying at any resort) on top of obviously being sought after because they are the cheapest.

However, I keep coming back to your stated preference for trying to secure Boardwalk or Boulder Ridge through the rental process, and again i'd argue if you bought there...you'd have no issues getting a studio there at 11 months. You might not get standard view, or boardwalk view, but you'd definitely get garden/pool view, and Boulder Ridge would have availability as well.

If the goal is to be in Disney, at a certain time of the year, every year in your preferred resort (Boardwalk)...you could have accomplished that by buying, and making sure you bought enough points to cover that and some years, when you get standard view, you'd have some extra points available to maybe rent out yourself or add on days. Don't get me wrong...it's a 30 point difference across the seasons you are looking at...but it's not something that would cause me to avoid buying in (but thats just me personally).

Now if the planning part doesn't work for you, and you aren't to book at 11 months...then I get it...but the way your description reads...you know where you want to stay, and when you want to go pretty much each year.

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head here. I was always looking at studios at the resorts near the parks, specifically Boulder Ridge and Boardwalk, which turned out to be the most popular time of year for owners to rent, October thru mid December.

I suspect you are wrong here. Its the most popular time for owners to book - and probably high on the list of times for renters to try and rent -, but I suspect its the least popular time for owners to rent. As a BWV owner who has rented my points, I won't rent from October through mid-January - there is too much demand for members at that time of year and I want to do my fellow members the favor of not booking up rooms for renters. My points are worth the same in February or May or June or August - when there is much less demand for those rooms by members. And I don't need to bother to try and book a room that may not be there at ten and a half months when I get around to making the phone call. No more reward for me, but more bother - plus I don't think its polite to my fellow members to take really in demand rooms at a really in demand time. Which makes your issue worse - lots of demand - both by renters and members, and a smaller supply.

I suspect you are wrong here. Its the most popular time for owners to book - and probably high on the list of times for renters to try and rent -, but I suspect its the least popular time for owners to rent. As a BWV owner who has rented my points, I won't rent from October through mid-January - there is too much demand for members at that time of year and I want to do my fellow members the favor of not booking up rooms for renters. My points are worth the same in February or May or June or August - when there is much less demand for those rooms by members. And I don't need to bother to try and book a room that may not be there at ten and a half months when I get around to making the phone call. No more reward for me, but more bother - plus I don't think its polite to my fellow members to take really in demand rooms at a really in demand time. Which makes your issue worse - lots of demand - both by renters and members, and a smaller supply.
Oops ... what I meant to say was that’s a popular time for owners to book for themselves. My mistake. 🤪

There really are only a few of the DVC resorts that I’m interested in. I have issues with sun sensitivity and have to be careful of UV rays, thus most months of the year are out for me with the Florida sun. Also, I don’t need anything larger than a studio because when I’m on vacation I don’t want to spend my time cooking and doing laundry. I do that the other 51 weeks a year at home ... lol. But being able to do those things are very important to some folks. And there is no way I would pack my stuff up and move around to 2 or 3 resorts within a week to put together a reservation.

My point in making this post was simply to let others who are considering purchasing to realize that there is likely some flexibility required or they may not be happy. Clearly, for me personally, I would be challenged to get what I wanted, where I wanted, and when I wanted even as a member.

Interestingly enough - we share a lot of similarities. I too have "Sun" issues (2 surgeries for Basal Cell Skin Cancer), and so we choose to travel in January & February, shorter daytime hours, less UV rays. We typically can find studios that time of year just about anywhere. We have done BWV a couple times, and that's walking distance from 2 parks (& the points there in January for a Studio are only 78)! And some years we don't even buy park tickets, and jut hang out in the warm weather, so those years we have no trouble booking a studio at 11 months. We just booked 2 weeks for January 2021, in a studio, no split stay required. If you buy at the resort you're interested in, how is this creating a challenge to get what you want, when you want it ?

Interestingly enough - we share a lot of similarities. I too have "Sun" issues (2 surgeries for Basal Cell Skin Cancer), and so we choose to travel in January & February, shorter daytime hours, less UV rays. We typically can find studios that time of year just about anywhere. We have done BWV a couple times, and that's walking distance from 2 parks (& the points there in January for a Studio are only 78)! And some years we don't even buy park tickets, and jut hang out in the warm weather, so those years we have no trouble booking a studio at 11 months. We just booked 2 weeks for January 2021, in a studio, no split stay required. If you buy at the resort you're interested in, how is this creating a challenge to get what you want, when you want it ?
This is great information and I will keep it in mind! My kids have just always liked seeing the parks during December for Christmas, but since they’re getting older I may begin traveling solo in a couple more years and switch to a late January or February visit. What is your opinion on availability at Boardwalk during early March at the start of Flower and Garden Festival?

I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything. I’m simply sharing my thoughts on a discussion forum, which others may or may not agree with. Just because my opinions don’t necessarily align with yours does not make them less valid. Enjoy your DVC 😊

I know I sure do.

You say you "dodged a bullet." Others might say you missed a great opportunity to buy in when it was much less expensive. Owning all these years has been fabulous.

This is great information and I will keep it in mind! My kids have just always liked seeing the parks during December for Christmas, but since they’re getting older I may begin traveling solo in a couple more years and switch to a late January or February visit. What is your opinion on availability at Boardwalk during early March at the start of Flower and Garden Festival?
I can't speak for March; we have been exclusively January travelers since owning DVC. January is a great time of year to not be in Maryland! :daisy:

2) The numerous times I have attempted to secure a rental at the DVC resorts that I want to stay in, for the unit type I want, and the travel dates I want, at the exact 11-month mark, have NEVER been available. These attempts have been made through various brokers and eBay. I understand totally that renting is a completely different animal than being an owner. I do not have the capability of seeing availability. But, I assume that the people who are checking availability for me are not lying because they want a sale. Just seems logical to me.

This has already been said many times but linking a rental broker with Home resort points available for an 11 month booking, a room and a rental customer is far more complicated than logging on at 8am (or 9am, or 10am) and completing a reservation as a member.

If renting is your only reference point for DVC reservations, you are not getting an accurate picture.

3) I can only assume that the numerous threads on this forum regarding walking, wait listing, piecing together reservations, etc., regardless of how long the poster has owned, are valid. I can also only conclude that because of these threads there are several owners who need to be flexible, to go with the flow, or whatever you want to call it. But then again, maybe these people just make that stuff up.

Those things do happen and they impact DVC availability to some degree. However they rarely result in zero resort availability at 11 months. Due to "walking" small supply rooms like AKV Value and BLT Standard View may be hard to come by, but most others are readily available. If you said you weren't joining DVC because you aren't guaranteed a Bay Lake Tower Standard View Studio at 11 months in early December, I would wholeheartedly agree. But that is very much the outlier.

Today...right now...there are STILL AKV Savanna View rooms available for Thanksgiving week. There are also rooms at Bay Lake Tower, Riviera, Old Key West and Saratoga. The Polynesian still has availability pretty much every week during the fall except Thanksgiving. And members who were prepared to book at 11 months had plenty of other options, too.

Copper Creek + Boulder Ridge have about 150 studios combined. There simply aren't 150 members walking WL studio reservations every week from October - December.

Readers of this thread should take my humble "opinion" and draw their own conclusions, even if it doesn't compare to your holier than thou decades of real-life experience.

Many of your comments are taking opinions and spinning them as fact. I'm not trying to act "holier than thou", rather I'm trying to separate your myths from reality. And I really don't understand why you're so quick to dismiss real-life feedback from people who have been booking DVC rooms for years. I have no vested interest in whether or not you personally become a DVC member. But for the benefit of other readers, I feel somewhat compelled to point out that you are not painting an accurate picture.

I’ve been reading and also staying quiet but the concerns for “dodging a bullet” are so ridiculous I had to respond. Esp bc potential buyers can read this and be turned off from incorrect information. I’m a new owner but am constantly checking what’s available- just in case I can convince my husband to head down to Disney. My first issue is the poster like many other has said is comparing renting to owning two different monsters. The second is first she mentions being spontaneous with her dates than makes reference for traveling at busy DVC days. So I went online and checked availability for a full week in October which is about 8 months out- There are many studio options even some standard rooms. I even check for January -11 month window and there is full availability in almost all studios. I even check in June which s about 4 months out and you could still get a studio in SSR and one beds are available at many resorts for the full week including BWV. Granted if your are the type to wait less than even a few months for vacation plans; you'll have limited options.
Yes, DVC is NOT for everyone BUT not for any of the reasons you listed. Again, I'm only chiming my 2 cents because there is a lot of opinions being portrayed at facts esp from someone who doesn't even have access to the information you are claiming.

I’ve been reading and also staying quiet but the concerns for “dodging a bullet” are so ridiculous I had to respond. Esp bc potential buyers can read this and be turned off from incorrect information. I’m a new owner but am constantly checking what’s available- just in case I can convince my husband to head down to Disney. My first issue is the poster like many other has said is comparing renting to owning two different monsters. The second is first she mentions being spontaneous with her dates than makes reference for traveling at busy DVC days. So I went online and checked availability for a full week in October which is about 8 months out- There are many studio options even some standard rooms. I even check for January -11 month window and there is full availability in almost all studios. I even check in June which s about 4 months out and you could still get a studio in SSR and one beds are available at many resorts for the full week including BWV. Granted if your are the type to wait less than even a few months for vacation plans; you'll have limited options.
Yes, DVC is NOT for everyone BUT not for any of the reasons you listed. Again, I'm only chiming my 2 cents because there is a lot of opinions being portrayed at facts esp from someone who doesn't even have access to the information you are claiming.

I’m certain I’ve expressed this before, but once again I repeat to anyone reading that I’m expressing an opinion based on my own limited experiences with renting the past several years, as well as analyzing multiple threads from this forum. I am in no way presenting anything as a fact. Additionally, I again acknowledge the vast difference between renting versus having access to check availability as a member.

This is a discussion forum, pure and simple, and the vast majority of posts on this platform are based on opinions and one’s personal experiences rather than fact. Perhaps we could all agree that it would be wise for anyone considering purchasing a DVC to be keenly aware of their own travel habits, to do extensive homework, and to consider input from multiple sources. Frankly, there is a lot of disagreement on this forum even among members. And this forum only represents a fraction of DVC members and Disney fans.

I’m not surprised at the folks who’ve disagreed with me on this post. I am surprised, however, at how a differing opinion can cause us to become so impolite, and I apologize for allowing myself to become less than friendly in some of my responses. I think we all have one common “thread” … we are WDW fans. Maybe I’ll see ya real soon.

The nearest thing to facts you can find about DVC availability is this:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-bd-charts-september-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/
You'll find most of the year all resorts have availability at 11 months, many having availability until 7 months.
The very limited categories (standard and value rooms) are difficult to get, but the reason is that they're very limited in number. The vast majority of inventory is easily available at 11 months and often later than that.

I've been an owner for about a month and feel fortunate to have decades of deluxe accommodations ahead for our family. I've already booked two trips including a few nights in AKV value studio at both 5 and 8 months out. But the key is that I didn't expect for it to be available. Expecting certain DVC availability would be like platinum annual passholders expecting there to be no lines on popular attractions whenever they want to go.

I think we'd all agree it isn't for everyone in the same way Disney isn't for everyone. I'm glad you found your best way to travel!

I've been an owner for about a month and feel fortunate to have decades of deluxe accommodations ahead for our family. I've already booked two trips including a few nights in AKV value studio at both 5 and 8 months out. But the key is that I didn't expect for it to be available. Expecting certain DVC availability would be like platinum annual passholders expecting there to be no lines on popular attractions whenever they want to go.

I think we'd all agree it isn't for everyone in the same way Disney isn't for everyone. I'm glad you found your best way to travel!
Please tell me what were your travel dates for AKV Value? I'd love to get those once at 7 months!

Please tell me what were your travel dates for AKV Value? I'd love to get those once at 7 months!

Secured two nights in middle July and two at the end of September. Ive been stalking the reservation tool and have seen 3-4 night stretches pop up over summer.

Secured two nights in middle July and two at the end of September. Ive been stalking the reservation tool and have seen 3-4 night stretches pop up over summer.
Thanks, TikiRob
I don't think my chances in January/February are very good at the 7 Mo. mark.
Stats posted on these forums show it hard to get even at 11 Mo., which is why we will probably stick with SSR if we add on.
It's the easiest, most economical Home Resort, and we always get our place-holder reservations without any problems.
BUT, we love AKV Jambo & Kidani, and the standard studios are comparable in points to SSR studios, and usually available at 7 Mo.
ET :goodvibes

Thanks, TikiRob
I don't think my chances in January/February are very good at the 7 Mo. mark.
Stats posted on these forums show it hard to get even at 11 Mo., which is why we will probably stick with SSR if we add on.
It's the easiest, most economical Home Resort, and we always get our place-holder reservations without any problems.
BUT, we love AKV Jambo & Kidani, and the standard studios are comparable in points to SSR studios, and usually available at 7 Mo.
ET :goodvibes
You might get it! We just had a waitlist come through for a value at Jambo for May.

It is a tough call. Each situation is different. We wished we bought earlier than we did. I finally got my spouse to do a video about our experience. It is our first Disney Vacation Club video. Hope this helps.

You say you "dodged a bullet." Others might say you missed a great opportunity to buy in when it was much less expensive. Owning all these years has been fabulous.

When I first did the math over 20 years ago, it showed a "moderate" benefit to DVC vs just paying yearly. Today's math would probably show the same thing. But the benefits were much better than "moderate" for us. We don't go as often, renting 2 out of 3 years. After MF are subtracted, the yield on the original point cost is over 20%/year and rises as Disney gets more expensive. And my original "principle" is now worth 2.5X on the secondary market what I initially paid- and I bought direct from Disney.

Was I just lucky? This exercise was repeated 10 years ago when we bought at BLT- and the results are on a BETTER tract than my BWV purchase was 10 years into the buy. The yield after MF is >15%, and the points are worth almost double. (In 10 more years, these numbers should be better than BWV numbers are today.

The constant that bails out this "investment" (we never truly bought it thinking this way, just tried to save on vacation costs) is that Disney continues to raise room rates. Aggressively. I doubt they stop short of a mega-recession. And if that happens, all of my "real" investments will suffer as well.

If anyone doubts my math, I will be glad to share the numbers. Just ask.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter