• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stolen funds!!

;-)

Island tiki
I am freaking out. Someone stole the funds from my gift card. I had it linked in the Disney gift card website where I would transfer funds from smaller cards onto this main card. I had $785 on it and now it’s gone!! The only help I got was to email guest services. Then as I pressed the girl on the phone to give me more assistance she transferred me to shop Disney where they sent an alert to the gift card department to get in touch with me.
Transaction history shows the bulk of the money was spent at Disneyland resort. I’ve never been to Disneyland in my life. I’m really worried I won’t get this money back. I can’t believe this happened and now I just have to sit and wait for someone to get in touch with me!

I am freaking out. Someone stole the funds from my gift card. I had it linked in the Disney gift card website where I would transfer funds from smaller cards onto this main card. I had $785 on it and now it’s gone!! The only help I got was to email guest services. Then as I pressed the girl on the phone to give me more assistance she transferred me to shop Disney where they sent an alert to the gift card department to get in touch with me.
Transaction history shows the bulk of the money was spent at Disneyland resort. I’ve never been to Disneyland in my life. I’m really worried I won’t get this money back. I can’t believe this happened and now I just have to sit and wait for someone to get in touch with me!
I'm sorry this happened and I hope that something can be done to recover your funds. In the meantime, change your Disney password, since all Disney websites are connected. Also change the passwords on any websites connected with your email, especially any that use the same password as you have for Disney.

I don't want to rub salt in the OP's wound because this they really deserve empathy and not criticism but I hope that others take this as a warning. The disneygiftcard.com website is not a bank. It has no 2-step security feature and there have been reports of hacking in the past and Disney will be the first to tell you to treat your gift cards like cash. Please do not leave gift cards in your account. Delete all of them after you consolidate onto one card, including the card with the funds on them.

I just want to say how sorry I am that this happened to you. I really hope they can get back the funds for you. That is one of my worst nightmares. I had my cards out there , and I just deleted them all off the site....It's shocking what people will do.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

OMG I'm so sorry this happened to you! Are you sure someone logged into the disney gift card site where you kept the card and got the numbers that way, or did someone hack your email account, or get the numbers in a different way? I think on the gift card web site it never says the full numbers and passcode for each card, but others can chime in if I'm wrong? However what I think they can do is get into that online account, add one of their own cards, transfer the money from your card that's already held there and then delete their own card after it's been funded.

I worked for a company that offered gift cards. People used to call us after their email was hacked. The thief would access the original email with the card's full numbers, and then would clear out their gift card funds. This is for e-gift cards. Sometimes they wouldn't realize their email was hacked until something like this happened. Thief gets in - looks for gift card emails - takes the money and logs out. Unfortunately in those situations we were never able to reimburse the victim : (

If it was connected to a physical card that you've used at the parks before, I must admit I noticed there's slight risk to giving cards to a CM especially at restaurants because they take it in the back and can copy numbers. I've also given CMs my entire iphone to take into the back and scan (because I use electronic version almost exclusively) and it's easy for them to take a photo of my screen with their phone. I've NEVER had that happen, but I did flag in my mind that if someone wanted to do that it's unfortunately a possibility. Because of that I always try to buy in gift cards what I will spend on that trip and not have a remaining balance. If I am building a balance on a card then I want to be sure to safeguard both the card and my email account (if it's electronic).

Finally be sure to check out the site haveibeenpwned and enter your email to see any companies that put your personal information at risk. I do this on a quarterly basis because companies don't always announce breaches and you'd be amazed at how many have been hacked. So in other words this is how hackers get some of your commonly used passwords and they start using them on sites where they can gain if your password is same or similar.

Is the primary gift card linked to a bank? If so, then Regulation E protects you, based on certain criteria. As long as you notify the bank (it will have to go in writing after the initial contact) you can claim the fraud and get your money back. If Disney is acting as the bank, I don't know if Reg E can do anything for you.

If someone was using a fake card at Disney, its fraud department should have video of the perp, if they want to go that far in assisting you.

If you get nowhere on this, if your deductible is low enough on your homeowners/renters insurance, you may be able to file a claim that way.

If you have any attorney friends, they may be able to help by writing a letter to Disney, or at least by offering you advice.

Good luck in getting your funds back! That is truly awful.

Is the gift card website just messing up really bad right now. After seeing this post, I decided to check mine and I am unable to get the log in screen to populate so that I can check.

EDIT: Couldn't log in on Chrome, but could on Edge. Chrome seems to have a lot of issues with Disney websites.

Last edited:
Thank you both
I'm sorry this happened and I hope that something can be done to recover your funds. In the meantime, change your Disney password, since all Disney websites are connected. Also change the passwords on any websites connected with your email, especially any that use the same password as you have for Disney.

I don't want to rub salt in the OP's wound because this they really deserve empathy and not criticism but I hope that others take this as a warning. The disneygiftcard.com website is not a bank. It has no 2-step security feature and there have been reports of hacking in the past and Disney will be the first to tell you to treat your gift cards like cash. Please do not leave gift cards in your account. Delete all of them after you consolidate onto one card, including the card with the funds on them.
this is definitely the take away from this—please don’t leave your gift cards linked to this website! After consolidating delete all!!

OMG I'm so sorry this happened to you! Are you sure someone logged into the disney gift card site where you kept the card and got the numbers that way, or did someone hack your email account, or get the numbers in a different way? I think on the gift card web site it never says the full numbers and passcode for each card, but others can chime in if I'm wrong? However what I think they can do is get into that online account, add one of their own cards, transfer the money from your card that's already held there and then delete their own card after it's been funded.

I worked for a company that offered gift cards. People used to call us after their email was hacked. The thief would access the original email with the card's full numbers, and then would clear out their gift card funds. This is for e-gift cards. Sometimes they wouldn't realize their email was hacked until something like this happened. Thief gets in - looks for gift card emails - takes the money and logs out. Unfortunately in those situations we were never able to reimburse the victim : (

If it was connected to a physical card that you've used at the parks before, I must admit I noticed there's slight risk to giving cards to a CM especially at restaurants because they take it in the back and can copy numbers. I've also given CMs my entire iphone to take into the back and scan (because I use electronic version almost exclusively) and it's easy for them to take a photo of my screen with their phone. I've NEVER had that happen, but I did flag in my mind that if someone wanted to do that it's unfortunately a possibility. Because of that I always try to buy in gift cards what I will spend on that trip and not have a remaining balance. If I am building a balance on a card then I want to be sure to safeguard both the card and my email account (if it's electronic).

Finally be sure to check out the site haveibeenpwned and enter your email to see any companies that put your personal information at risk. I do this on a quarterly basis because companies don't always announce breaches and you'd be amazed at how many have been hacked. So in other words this is how hackers get some of your commonly used passwords and they start using them on sites where they can gain if your password is same or similar.
I’m really unsure how this person stole my funds and you could be right—it could have been through email, i often upload and consolidate new cards. Who knows really. My card was no longer there but they left an unrelated card linked with $0 funds..nicknamed “work”. I always delete cards I consolidate with zero balance. That’s why I’m thinking someone hacked into my Disneygiftcard.com account.

Is the primary gift card linked to a bank? If so, then Regulation E protects you, based on certain criteria. As long as you notify the bank (it will have to go in writing after the initial contact) you can claim the fraud and get your money back. If Disney is acting as the bank, I don't know if Reg E can do anything for you.

If someone was using a fake card at Disney, its fraud department should have video of the perp, if they want to go that far in assisting you.

If you get nowhere on this, if your deductible is low enough on your homeowners/renters insurance, you may be able to file a claim that way.

If you have any attorney friends, they may be able to help by writing a letter to Disney, or at least by offering you advice.

Good luck in getting your funds back! That is truly awful.
Not linked to a bank (thank God). It’s just a place to link and consolidate your Disney gift cards. I’m praying they can resolve this and recover my funds!!

Is the gift card website just messing up really bad right now. After seeing this post, I decided to check mine and I am unable to get the log in screen to populate so that I can check.

EDIT: Couldn't log in on Chrome, but could on Edge. Chrome seems to have a lot of issues with Disney websites.
I tried to log back in and was able to. The person who hacked me deleted my original card and left a different card titled “work” with a $0 balance. When I first found my card/funds were missing, I was able to see some transaction history and I saw funds spent at Disneyland resort. Now I can’t see any history and it’s giving me an error code. I hope and pray they can resolve this

I tried to log back in and was able to. The person who hacked me deleted my original card and left a different card titled “work” with a $0 balance. When I first found my card/funds were missing, I was able to see some transaction history and I saw funds spent at Disneyland resort. Now I can’t see any history and it’s giving me an error code. I hope and pray they can resolve this

This is how I was going to say they did it. Esp since we all consolidate on physical cards. Those numbers have never been in my email. The way they would do it is as they did, transferring the funds to a new card.

I'd change your pw. Also did you get an email about logging in to Disney at a time you didn't actually do it? I get an email every time I log in to something Disney.

This is how I was going to say they did it. Esp since we all consolidate on physical cards. Those numbers have never been in my email. The way they would do it is as they did, transferring the funds to a new card.

I'd change your pw. Also did you get an email about logging in to Disney at a time you didn't actually do it? I get an email every time I log in to something Disney.
No, I didn’t get any emails!! Usually when I add, delete, and transfer I ALWAYS get 3 emails for those specific 3 actions. I got nothing!!

The disneygiftcard.com website is not a bank. It has no 2-step security feature and there have been reports of hacking in the past and Disney will be the first to tell you to treat your gift cards like cash.
Not sure if they changed something, but I logged in today and it had a 2-step security feature. Emailed a code for me to enter on the site before they would let me in.

Im very afraid of this happening. This isnt the first time someone has reported it. Again to
try to safeguard yourself do you consolidate the cards and then immediately delete the card?

Im looking to consolidate the next weeks and i want to make sure i do it correctly. thanks

That is awful, but it should definitely serve as a warning. These cards have NO built in fraud protection and the security on the website is minimal, at best. Don't keep large amounts on gift cards, ever! This can happen to ANY gift card. If you have a giftcard, use it immediately.

Not linked to a bank (thank God). It’s just a place to link and consolidate your Disney gift cards. I’m praying they can resolve this and recover my funds!!
I didn’t mean to a bank account. If the card has a visa logo, for example, then it’s tied to a bank.

I didn’t mean to a bank account. If the card has a visa logo, for example, then it’s tied to a bank.
The physical GCs say that they are issued by Disney Gift Card Services. They aren't affiliated with any bank.

Not sure if they changed something, but I logged in today and it had a 2-step security feature. Emailed a code for me to enter on the site before they would let me in.
Unfortunately, that only occurs every once in a while with Disney and for no apparent reason. For true multi-step security, it should occur every time and it should never rely on sending a login code to the same email that is your user ID on the website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter