Bed bugs at Beach club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelPel

Earning My Ears
Hello members,

FYI, A friend of mine just returned from WDW on Saturday 8/10/13 and she told me that after her first night at Beach Club 4th floor room, she was bitten by bed bugs, the hotel brought dogs in to confirm. She is a nurse by profession and acually checked all their beds before they got in them. Both her and her husband could not see these bugs even after she was bitten! They were quickly moved to Yatch Club to a new room, where they then found spiders and had to have the room sprayed. She is very traumatized by the event and said her ankles were bitten badly. They couldnt take their luggage with them to the new room right away so hotel management gave their family $ to buy new clothes. Took a day of shopping for everyone (family of 4). They eventually got their luggage back days later, but she had the dogs come back and sniff them once they returned. She cant remember the room number it was 42?? she wants to forget it. But she said the hotel staff was more than accommodating to them after the fact and REALLY bent over backwards to make the rest of their stay a magical one.

I just wanted to inform anyone who might be staying there to be careful.

Mel

You realize if it was a day later, she may have brought them with her, especially if she flew or rented a car.

Yet another person who will now allow the paranoia to begin for people who are about to check into BC and think this is an indication of a resort wide outbreak.

You realize if it was a day later, she may have brought them with her, especially if she flew or rented a car.

Yet another person who will now allow the paranoia to begin for people who are about to check into BC and think this is an indication of a resort wide outbreak.

HUH? :confused3
Regardless of *how* they got there....
How is this post allowing paranoia to begin? if I was about to check into the BC, I would certainly appreciate the warning.

The fact remains that during her stay at the Yacht club, she had her new room checked by sniffing dogs the day of her arrival and then again two more times, once when her bags returned and again after she found spiders. The dogs found no more bed bugs. which indicates to me that she did not bring them with her and she did not rent a car, although they did fly there.

Mel

We were at BC until 8/10 as well. No bedbug problem in 3716, but good to know Disney took care of it

I would not hesitate to stay there again.

While many people may appreciate the"post", you would not believve the people who post they are canceling a ressie because of one post like this. There is another post on the theme parks board where someone is making a trip after 4 years of contracting norovirus and is loaded with everything known toman to "clean". Get over it.

I'd say if something like this happened to you, you would have a different view then just "get over it". :sad2:

And while you are welcome to your opinion about someone's post ...I figure anyone who is adult enough to read posts, I know I am, can make their own mind up on whether they cancel a reservation due to what someone else says but we don't need anyone telling someone to "get over it". That is just plain rude in IMPO.

I personally appreciate a heads up when reading posts like this, but most important for me I like to hear how Disney handled it as it seems they always go above and beyond. That is what reassures me on future visits. :thumbsup2

It may sound terrible but I've come to the conclusion these are just risks we take. Weather it be bed bugs or a contracted illness the company is not 100% at fault. Bed bugs are brought in by guests and likely to go unnoticed until a complaint is made. Germs are carried by everyone and many don't mind going out in public knowing their contagious. I also know I'm still going to Disney and having an amazing time! Just might wash our hands a lot more often and stay on top of taking our vitamins. :) it's unfortunate when something like this ruins ones trip.

Took a long time to clean the luggage. My friend and her family encountered bed bugs at AOA last year. Family of 4. Got enough money for a change of clothes and PJ's and hygeine items. They had their luggage back by the end of the next day. They still love AOA and have gone back since.

Bedbugs can happen at ANY resort. So there is no need to warn people to stay away from the Beach Club. That won't guarantee a bug free vacation.

It is nice to know Disney took immediate action.

We stayed in several hotels this summer we were just talking about you take a gamble, you just never know. It sounds as if they handled it professionally. I wanted to see if they offered medical attention for the bites?

Plus, as soon as bed bugs are identified, Disney does everything needed to resolve the problem. But all it takes is more hitchhikers to come in someone's luggage or rental car.

I bet that Disney has checked all the rooms at the Beach Club with their dogs since those were found.

Maybe they need to check the ME luggage trucks before they are unloaded.

Bedbugs can happen at ANY resort. So there is no need to warn people to stay away from the Beach Club. That won't guarantee a bug free vacation.

It is nice to know Disney took immediate action.

This is what i take away from this... A problem was identified & action was taken ::yes:: Though I have a problem that there were spiders in the 2nd room. :confused3

This is what i take away from this... A problem was identified & action was taken ::yes:: Though I have a problem that there were spiders in the 2nd room. :confused3

I guess I would care more about that if I knew more about the spiders. I mean there are spiders, and there are SPIDERS. Spiders are everywhere, in fact, I would be surprised everywhere there isn't a spider. But now if you're talking big and creepy spiders with thick legs, well, now you got my attention.

Bedbugs can happen at ANY resort. So there is no need to warn people to stay away from the Beach Club.

I don't think the OP was warning people to stay away from the BC. It was just a reminder to be vigilant and aware, which I appreciate. Thanks OP:thumbsup2

I've never known Disney had dogs to sniff out bed bugs and spiders. It's been almost 2 years since I've been there, so maybe things have changed.

I wouldn't care that much about bedbugs if they weren't the sort of bug to bring an infestation... a very expensive, time-consuming, infestation.

I don't mind being called paranoid. It's better than having a bedbug infestation in my home. I do the check and take additional precautions (has to do with x-large and xx large Ziplocs, etc.

I just got back from the world but if I was on my way in I would greatly appreciate a head's up. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and all that.

Thanks, OP! :thumbsup2

Omg that is my nightmare!! I would freak out. I always check too and pray that it doesn't happen. They are like lice to me....incredibly hard to get rid of...Have no clue why anyone should "get over it". You can bring tem home and infest your house.

I always check bed bug registry , reviews and raveable. I have not stayed at hotels with reports. That isn't to say that other hotels without reports don't have them....but it makes me feel better since it is completely out of my control.

Three years ago I chose the poly over Por because Por had bed bug reports. Last year I saw poly had a report. With disney having as many guests as they do ...its inevitable.

I appreciate knowing so I can make an informed decision and is a reminder to be vigilant.

I appreciate knowing so I can make an informed decision and is a reminder to be vigilant.

The problem is that the OP's friend was vigilant! They checked the bed before they used the room. Not sure what else we all can do to protect ourselves, if you can't even see some of the bugs because they are so small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter