Beach campground recommendations?

dpdis

Earning My Ears
We will be bringing our RV to FW in January for 10 days, and are looking for our next destination after that - we were thinking of heading to a beach campground mid to south Florida. We are looking for any recommendations for fun, family friendly places on the beach - full hook ups, clean, direct beach access. If anyone here has a favorite place to stay before/after hitting Disney, let me know! We will be staying for a week or more.

We are staying at Fort De Soto State Park next year. It came highly recommended by friends, and it is listed as a beautiful beach. It is on the Gulf, not Atlantic Ocean (which we prefer), but we thought we would give it a try. We love that it is right on the water.

The website says: A 238-site family camping area with facilities including picnic tables, grills, water, electricity, washers, dryers, sanitary disposal stations, modern restrooms, showers, play areas, and a camp store. Special camp sites for camping with pets.

Good Luck with your search!

We have stayed at Jetty Park CG in Port Canaveral. There is beach access, great fishing, and the sights of the cruise ships passing behind the campground are amazing (The Disney ones play the first line of "When you wish upon a star" as they leave their dock!). We had a great time there. It is also very close to Kennedy Space Center which is a wonderful way to spend a day!:)

Here is the link:http://www.jettypark.org/

We will be bringing our RV to FW in January for 10 days, and are looking for our next destination after that - we were thinking of heading to a beach campground mid to south Florida. We are looking for any recommendations for fun, family friendly places on the beach - full hook ups, clean, direct beach access. If anyone here has a favorite place to stay before/after hitting Disney, let me know! We will be staying for a week or more.

Please keep in mind that January may not necessarily be great beach weather in Florida. It can still be cool on the beach in January and water temps will actually be kind of cold.

Disney Bunny said:
Please keep in mind that January may not necessarily be great beach weather in Florida. It can still be cool on the beach in January and water temps will actually be kind of cold.

We are from Michigan and always stay for a couple of weeks at the ocean in January. We actually own DVC at Vero, but this is the first year we are bringing the RV. Most years we are able to enjoy the beach - but a couple of years ago there were frozen fish on the beach at Vero! Even "cold" days are better than the weather in Michigan in January!

Agree with Jetty Park. You can also go south to Coco Beach and shop Ron Jon Surf Shop open 24 hours.

I can't help you with regards to beach camping in FL but if you ever have the opportunity you should check out Ocean Lakes Resort in Myrtle Beach. It is fantastic! Right on the beach with its own mini golf, pool and splash zone, nightly golf cart parades, mini mart, drop off or do it yourself laundromat, huge arcade and so many fun activities at the rec center. This will be our 5th year going! If you have kids and love to camp you have to check it out. There are even house rentals for those in your family who don't camp. Safe travels!

I agree with Ocean Lakes! We always stay there on our way back from Disney to Pa, and are never disappointed!

If you are considering Fort De Soto I thought I would share this.
Here is the website. There is a picture of each site there. Not all of the sites are on the water, and those that are usually are booked months in advance.

The camp sites are not on the beach directly, but is in the bay. It is just a couple of miles or so to the beach, a fishing pier and the old fort.

We have stayed there too many times to count (of course we live in the county), and love the park.

https://public.co.pinellas.fl.us/parks/ParksMain.jsp

If you want Beachfront camping, I would recommend staying at Red Coconuts in Fort Myers. Small campground, but has beachfront sites though you will need to book in advance.

I spent a lot of time at Ft. Desoto growing up. My dad was the chief ranger there for many years. It is a wonderful place to visit. There are 3 camp loops there. One of those loops, the sites on the outside do not have direct access to the water due to a sea wall. This is section 3, the northern most section. Area 1 has the most sites with beach access(and the best beach sites), followed by area 2. Some days, due to the tide, the "beach" isn't much of anything. It may be ankle to knee deep water for as much as 50 yards out. It will feel like walking in mud. Since it is a park first, the water around the campsites is filled with seagrass.

My personal preference is site 153. It is a very deep site, with only one neighbor, and extremely close to a comfort station. If you have kids that like to climb, there is a rather large tree that fell on its side a long time ago, but continues to live since it's roots are still in the ground.

My recommendation would have to be for Beverly Beach Camptown. They have never let me down and I have enjoyed every stay there. We usually get Beach access, but Beach front is right on the sea wall which I will do some day. While Beach access is close to A1A, I never noticed the passing traffic, and to sleep with the window cracked and hear the waves is perfect to me.

And there are things to do like St. Augastine or head to Daytona Beach or Raceway for a tour if thats your thing. If you do go there, you have to check out La Strada. Its a great small italian resteraunt and we enjoy it every time we are down there.

After coming back from the fort we stay at Bryn Mawro campground. The location is everything. But you may want to be further north then St. Augustine. If you go, reserve the sites that back into the dunes. We like site 232 and you have to eat at O'Steen's. The best shrimp!! The beach in st.Augustine is fine white sugar sand, Ocean Lakes: dirty clumpy brown, but go to Ocean Lakes every year too. Won't be disappointed in either place

http://www.brynmawroceanresort.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter