Basically my wife TOLD me to take a Disney solo trip...

Solo trips are great. One on one trips with one child is also great. My kids are adults now, but looking back over our lives together, I would prefer doing a one on one trip with one and then a different special event/trip with the other. Since they are adults now, I can solo whenever I want to. Not as easy to grab one kid and take a trip - although I still prefer doing it like that.

If not French Quarter, look at Coronado, too. I think the tower rooms are awesome. If you aren’t going to be in the room much, you could also just book an All-Star. Now that those have queen beds, a coffee maker, and a refrigerator (well, a cooler), the values are just fine for a solo trip.

And as long as your relationship is solid, family trips happen, and you demonstrate equality and caring as a family unit, I totally think it’s okay to go solo. I do agree that you can’t take one kid now without plans to do something with the second one, too. My folks were good about the occasional separate “big thing” for one of us as long as it was clear what different things we were getting that were equating to the same treatment. As a kid, they didn’t separate that “thing” too much in terms of time, but when we got to be young adults, then it may have been farther apart. My parents have long passed now, and while we fought as kids about all the little crap kids/teenagers fight about, I think because we always felt treated and loved equally, we have a great sibling relationship as adults. (Now that we live separately and don’t have to share a bathroom😂!)

Yeah Disney for me is less about rides and more about touring around the resorts and the parks...adult beverages in tow..with the occasional ride if I don't have to wait too long. Might consider individual ride purchases...although I can't trust Rise anymore as it goes down more than half the time I have attempted.
Torn between being relatively frugal and just going for broke (literally) and staying at Boardwalk or Beach Club so I can hop in and out of epcot. Love that area. Checking some sites for DVC members selling their reservations...a lot of OKW.
Again stinks that the epcot skyliner will be down the week of my bday otherwise CBR would be a no brainer.

Another vote for CS, I love it and even if you don't want to pay for the Tower, the other rooms are great.

I love solo trips and take them often, more often then trips with hubby. He hates to travel and isn't a huge fan of Disney. He will go with me but I know he's not enjoying it, we take our RV and stay in the Fort when he is with me, which means most of our meals are in the RV, I go to Disney for the food and not to have to clean. The entire trip I know he's not really happy to be there, although he never complains. Solo is just easier for both of us, he gets to stay home and do things men do when women aren't around, and I get to do what I want.

If you are going to go with the what one gets the other should too, didn't your daughter get a trip to WDW for her b'day? So, if you don't take your son, she did and he didn't. Just saying. I have only one child and was a single parent a good portion of his youth so can't really speak to it. I am, however, the youngest of six and the only girl. Daddy tended to do things with the boys, Mama with me. We all went to all the sports events as a family, all vacations (the few we had) were as a family.

You know your wife and kids better than anyone (hopefully) so only you know if she really is o.k. with you going solo and how your kids are going to react.

Another vote for CS, I love it and even if you don't want to pay for the Tower, the other rooms are great.

I love solo trips and take them often, more often then trips with hubby. He hates to travel and isn't a huge fan of Disney. He will go with me but I know he's not enjoying it, we take our RV and stay in the Fort when he is with me, which means most of our meals are in the RV, I go to Disney for the food and not to have to clean. The entire trip I know he's not really happy to be there, although he never complains. Solo is just easier for both of us, he gets to stay home and do things men do when women aren't around, and I get to do what I want.

If you are going to go with the what one gets the other should too, didn't your daughter get a trip to WDW for her b'day? So, if you don't take your son, she did and he didn't. Just saying. I have only one child and was a single parent a good portion of his youth so can't really speak to it. I am, however, the youngest of six and the only girl. Daddy tended to do things with the boys, Mama with me. We all went to all the sports events as a family, all vacations (the few we had) were as a family.

You know your wife and kids better than anyone (hopefully) so only you know if she really is o.k. with you going solo and how your kids are going to react.
Yeah her point is that the daughters birthday trip was with the family so why just take my son then? I am past it. Probably won't even tell my kids about where I am going although I am sure they will figure it out..they know its daddy's birthday and that they have school and also that another family trip will eventually be had...although man these are craters to family finances. Might be a few years from now...maybe also try universal.
I think my wife honestly is ok with it since her mother can come over and help her get the kids ready for school and get them there...which is the largest concern. She also knows she has the same opportunity when her 50th rolls around...and we went to thr Poly for her 45th and I got her a spa treatment at thr GF and CRT with the daughter...it all does even out if one is "keeping score" as noted above although I don't see life like that...or try not to.
My only concern with CS is the distance...I tend to Uber everywhere as the busses are molasses. I have been to POFQ and its proximity to Epcot..which I usually end most nights. .is definitely a plus...as is the boat to Springs.

I don’t think I’m allowed to reference the name of website, but a well known timeshare rental site with a color in it’s name, has just started listing numerous Disney DVC rentals. There used to be only1 or 2 available anytime I checked, but right now there are 20-100 in all the various resorts over the next 12 months. Very reliable site, also can make a lower offer on rental.

Torn between being relatively frugal and just going for broke (literally) and staying at Boardwalk or Beach Club so I can hop in and out of epcot. Love that area. Checking some sites for DVC members selling their reservations...a lot of OKW.
Again stinks that the epcot skyliner will be down the week of my bday otherwise CBR would be a no brainer.
Swan and Dolphin have the location benefits of the other Epcot resorts and usually are around the price of a moderate.

Your wife sounds awesome and definitely deserves that cruise. She offered...take advantage...and maybe sometime you can do a one on one trip with each kiddo...my sis in law does that...but they pick the destination. enjoy Your trip!

DH & I don't have children, but I would fully support the solo trip. And the cruise! I think it's really important that each spouse takes the time for themselves and enjoys activities/trips that benefit them mentally and bring them joy.

DH went on a fishing trip this year, a guy's camping weekend, and is having friends come stay at our home in December to go hunting for a couple of days. He knows it's a little tough on me to have people stay at our (small!) home for a length of time, but it's something he really wants to do and I understand and accept it. So in exchange, I'm planning a 4 night WDW trip in January. It's a nice give and take and also has the added bonus of getting me out of the winter for a few days! I have a feeling he also might want to tag along, but we'll see if I allow it. :rotfl:

Swan and Dolphin have the location benefits of the other Epcot resorts and usually are around the price of a moderate.

Was going to suggest this! I just booked the Swan for Food & Wine 2022. With the AP discount, a deluxe resort view w/balcony was only slightly more than POFQ (resort fees included). I adore POFQ, but it’s hard to pass up the convenience and extended evening hours of S/D.

Last edited:
I wanted to see the 50th Anniversary on my 50th birthday in January but also wanted to bring my son (5) whose birthday is the day after mine.
In 2020 we went for my wife's birthday as a family and this past August for my daughter.
So I figured this would be a boy's trip.
However my wife thinks it's unfair to my daughter to leave her home so short of taking them both (by myself) which would be a nightmare as they would fight constantly (like siblings do) and there would always be the battle of someone being scared to go on a ride. When my wife was on the trips one of us would watch the kid(s) while the other went on Everest or ToT and rides like that...or when daddy wanted to take a quick trip into Epcot from the Boardwalk and partake.
I can work with the boy on these things and he is more brave (he went on Everest and ToT with me the last trip) and I could always push a stroller while he rested as the night arrived.
So, after discussing my wife said "You would have a better time going by yourself anyway so do that."
So I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth (I still would like to bring my son and would feel really guilty when I am there knowing my kids are in school while daddy drank a lapu lapu) but what are your thoughts? Don't think twice and start planning?
It is my birthday and this will be my last chance (almost certainly) to do this so leaning towards doing it but I have always appreciated the various opinions from you fine people. Since it is a Solo Travelers post I am probably just looking for reinforcement for a foregone conclusion but who knows?
Thanks!
Gary

You might want to consider what she really means before planning it. Sounds like an invitation to get yourself into trouble, given the implied tone seems to me to be one of frustration rather than approval. I’m not going to say she isn’t approving because I have never met her, but you need to tread carefully here.

You might want to consider what she really means before planning it. Sounds like an invitation to get yourself into trouble, given the implied tone seems to me to be one of frustration rather than approval. I’m not going to say she isn’t approving because I have never met her, but you need to tread carefully here.
That's fair. Haven't made any plans yet...the 60 day mark is 11/22 so that might be the time I revisit it and test the waters again. Thanks.

Well based on pricing and location (close to Epcot and a boat ride to the Springs) I decided on returning to Port Orleans French Quarter. Going through Dreams so they get the commission...their content has been and continues to be invaluable.

If you would like to do and would enjoy a solo trip - go for it! People do it all the time.

But if you really would like a father-son trip then I don't think there is anything wrong with that AS LONG as you talk to your daughter about planning a daddy-daughter trip somewhere later.

I think individual kid's trips where they can get one-on-one is a healthy and fun memory for them to have. I travel all the time with one son (he is disabled and lives for Disney more than the others), my other son and daughter each had their own trips with Dad when they were 12 and flying for first time. They each got an international trip with Dad to the place of their choice (Rome & Tokyo). DS and I went to Mardi Gras one year. DD and I have had beach trips. And there were more. Only child time is special!
In our family we say “ Fair isn’t always equal.” If you or your wife want to do something special with DD at another time take DS and create some great memories. if you want to go alone do it. I just got back from my first solo trip. My DH loved the alone time at home and I enjoyed WDW.

Yesterday I received my quote from Dreams and brought her over and said "are you sure?" She adamantly said yes and told me her mother is coming over that week.
So unless I married Admiral Akhbar I am going. If she changes the locks when I land....I will let you know. ;)

Yesterday I received my quote from Dreams and brought her over and said "are you sure?" She adamantly said yes and told me her mother is coming over that week.
So unless I married Admiral Akhbar I am going. If she changes the locks when I land....I will let you know. ;)
You'll be missed.
tina-fay-win.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter