Bama Ed's Retirement Camping Thread For Spring 2021

Update for Thursday 6/10/21.

We did hang briefly at Teamubr's last night for a few minutes - long enough to give Mallory some love again which she seems to be grateful for.

Again, we/I was disappointed that we were not getting a steam locomotive for today's ride and it was too late to do a cancellation and get a refund. Train operators always include language to allow them to substitute motive power (diesel instead of steam) at their discretion. They were going to refund the difference in ticket prices, however, between the steam and diesel rates.

We went out at 715am straight through the belly of the beast since it was so early on a Thursday morning and went right through downtown Gatlinburg headed for the top of the mountain at Newfound Gap. Then we wound our way up and it appears they are stripping the old pavement and repaving up near the top (paving equipment in a little side pull off area and one lane of fresh asphalt and one that's been scraped). Down into Cherokee and over to Bryson City to the Great Smokey Mountain Railroad.

There were a surprising number of people already at the depot waiting to pick up the tickets at 9am (the drive took right at 90 minutes for 53 miles). We got ours and then headed over to the Gift Shop and Model Train Museum (use the door on the far left).

Look in the back of the second room from the door for the entrance to the Museum which fills the back half of the building.

There are two large rooms with model train displays (mostly "O" gauge) and cases on the walls of beautiful Lionel locomotives and cars that are part of the museum collection.

There were some interesting pieces like a 24k gold plated steam loco/tender/caboose:

And a diesel locomotive that had a clear transparent skin:

The oldest toy train piece I saw in the museum was this 1909 Pennsy oil tank car:

Let's briefly visit the diesel ride next.

Bama Ed

At 10am we went out to the boarding areas:

On the far end was a double header (guess that's the way it came in yesterday).

One pulled off and moved to the other end (the way we headed out) so we had one on both ends (however the one leading the direction of travel was the only one under power at any given time and the other coasted).

This was our car. It was 11 sets of 2 seats facing 2 seats on each side of the aisle. We sat and talked with a nice retired couple from Florida who had recently moved from New Jersey.

No pics of the inside nor of the trip. We ran along side Fontana Lake and then up along the Nantahala River Gorge which runs down to Fontana.

The ride was 22 miles up the gorge, wait for the loco control to move to the other attached loco, then head back to Bryson City on the same track. On the way back we stopped at the Nantahala Operations Center (NOC) which is a training center for white water kayaking:

And also a take out location for rafting/kayak companies that put in up-river.

We ate our lunch there and stretched our legs. The train stop was an hour there.

Back to Bryson City and up over the mountain again. Managed to get a quick dinner at JT Hannah's Kitchen on the Parkway near Pine Mountain Road (where our rv park is) in an hour in/out. It's a burger, sandwich, salad place in a rustic setting. Good enough. No food pix - got a reuben and DW got a southwestern salad. Both were good with good service.

Came back to pack up because we leave for home tomorrow. Caught up on the news here and told folks about the train ride. Good conversation standing in the street as the sun went down.

We've had a great time making new friends and meeting old ones again. Thanks to all and have safe travels. :wave2:

Bama Ed

PS - and we will continue to keep PaHunter in our prayers.

PPS - and bring our Three Cabalerros ...

The-Three-Caballeros.jpg

... back safely from Pennsylvania tonight.

(several of these posts are copied from the Pigeon Forge 2021 DISMeet thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/dismeet-in-the-smokies-2021-yall-come.3817005/page-37 which comment on other ongoing events there)

That train was unbelievable ed. Nice! I like the umbrella thing also, never sceen anything like it. Have a good time and have a pop for me!

Wow, a teain museum too boot, lionel stuff!!!!!:worship:
The ellecteic train was cool also. Great color. GP9?

I do want to pause at this time in this retirement thread to mention that as of this past trip to the DISMeet in Pigeon Forge 2021 (DISMeet in the Smokies) we have camped a total of 366 nights in our Jayco/Aliner popups since 2004. That's a whole year's worth of nights for those of you in Lee County (AL). :teacher:

Our first popup was a Jayco 12HW (high wall) traditional popup with slide-out canvas bunkends and slide out dinette. It was a great 3-season camper to use with our three growing kids and it had many trips to Gulf State Park, Fort Wilderness, and other of our favorite campgrounds (Boyds Campground in Key West was memorable).

After the kids started moving out/going to college, we downsized to the Aliner. My calculations based on hotel vs campsite costs and eating out vs eating in costs shows that these campers have literally paid for themselves. And I hope there are plenty of camping nights ahead.

We had many nights tent camping as a family before the Jayco (my [in]famous meltdown in the 2000 loop at the Fort on a rainy night in October 2003 was the trigger for the Jayco purchase). And I have nearly a year in nights camping with the Boy Scouts both as a youth and adult.

We're looking forward to getting the next generation started outdoors too. Maybe it will happen some day.

Bama Ed

PS - I keep a running popup night counter in my signature below

I want to preview my upcoming trip by saying:

- I will not be live posting daily. Will do daily posts at some point when I return home.
- At a leisurely pace towing (per @team bradfield's advice to me when I retired) no daily drive more than 500 miles.
- Headed up into the hills. Both towing and day activities. Will be some elevations mentioned (gt.7k which is still low).
- With hills come temperature swings. We will see 50F changes between daily highs and lows when we drive if the forecast is correct.
- Unlike the hot humid Southeast US where I live, our destination area (within a 200 mile circle) is high, dry, and hilly. It's a place where water is rare so they sell water rights on reliable waterways.
- And for those of you who talked to me at the Pigeon Forge DISMeet, there will be trains. Some where. Roll your eyes now (beat the crowd :rolleyes: ). I am un-apologetic.
- There will be some relived memories.
- And great food (will take pix).

Hope I make it back in one piece. @Bishoparc's recent trip of a blown tire both up to the Pigeon Forge DISMeet and back home from the Pigeon Forge DISMeet has me a little spooked. We will be travelling LIGHT and NIMBLY.

Bama Ed

PS - growing old is a journey and not a point in time.

Time for an update.

Traveled through seven states so far.
Crossed the Continental Divide twice in consecutive days.
The air is thin but the sky is beautiful.
Good DISMeet territory but a bit far away.
Not done having fun yet.
Just checking in.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
You keep on enjoying your retirement camping trips. I do miss not taking the camper & going exploring. But maybe one of these days.

Time for another update. I had promised trains and Bama Ed delivers!

Don't often post pix of myself but DW likes this one.

Still in the back country but the sand is quickly running through the hour glass.
Probably one more update before the TR posts start.

Bama Ed

I normally don’t post me pictures either but this is my favorite Me photo from the miniature train museum in Scottsdale
McCormick Stillman Train Park (Fun)
That’s me on the drive in movie screen HaHa reminds me of the Sci Fi everytime…
81064281-E7D2-41B5-A3F4-24933F5F0BF1.png

Last edited:
I normally don’t post me pictures either but this is my favorite Me photo from the miniature train museum in Scottsdale
McCormick Stillman Train Park (Fun)
That’s me on the drive in movie screen HaHa reminds me of the Sci Fi everytime…
View attachment 585065
Lol, attack of the giants! I think there are more train people here then my old forum. Have fun!

Well we have finally made it home!

Over 3,300 miles of wandering and only got some rain in the last 3/4 days but it never lasted long.

Here is one last pic which is a giveaway of one of our destinations (and a souvenir I picked up there).

Only one mechanical fatality along the way which was the lock on the casette toilet tank lost its inside latch and the screw that held it in. A replacement lock is less than $10 and I only need those two parts off of it so it should be a very easy fix.

Held the door shut with duct tape the last few days which worked fine.

I'll start an update for each day (that's the hope anyway) on Saturday July 3 and post one new one each day.

Bama Ed

PS - getting the traditional "camping homecoming" Domino's pizza tonight. Good to be home!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter