• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Baja cruise - Ensenada and Catalina questions

Stay on the ship in Ensenada. The truth is that many people who live in So Cal and used to regularly drive down to Baja CA no longer do so due to safety. I have even heard from natives (who were born there and have relatives still there but now live in the US just across the border) who don't feel totally safe anymore. Since there aren't many great options for things to do anyways, I would just stay on board. The tourist areas are a lot better, but I did just check the state department's travel map and Ensenada is in the "reconsider travel" state. Cabo is not, it's flagged as "use extra caution." The cartels are everywhere, it's not like it was 20 years ago.

I need to go to Catalina with DH! He and I have always watched that show together.

That Ensenada experience sounds very nerve-wracking. I am not generally nervous. I don't think Nassau is that scary, for example. BUT I'm also aware it's just me and a teenage girl this time. Kind of changes my perspective. Since we aren't interested in any excursions, I'm leaning toward a short outing to those vendors near the ship (from PrincessShmoo's photo).
@PrincessShmoo's photo was identical to what we saw this past August. There were a handful of souvenirs in that area, but I wouldn't count on finding that "ideal" item. The choices were very limited. In the photo, there is a low, yellow building just above the center of the photo. Approximately near that yellow building is a huge security fence with armed guards. Basically, the port area is super secure, police stepped on the bus as we came back from downtown to confirm that everyone had a room key for a cruise ship. I felt very safe within the port area, so you and your daughter should be fine hitting up the buildings just off the ship. It'll probably take you 10 minutes to view all of the stuff available for sale.

Until our Ensenada visit, I thought Roatan was the most nerve wracking port experience. Just tons of people congregating outside the port gates and you had to keep a tight grip on your wallet or purse. My wife and I were both totally freaked out by our Ensenada visit and were very happy to get back on the ship. We'll be visiting Southern California a lot over the next several years and the "Catalina + Ensenada" route is extremely popular with the cruise lines. We decided that we'll just skip Ensenada in the future and stay on the ship.

@PrincessShmoo's photo was identical to what we saw this past August. There were a handful of souvenirs in that area, but I wouldn't count on finding that "ideal" item. The choices were very limited. In the photo, there is a low, yellow building just above the center of the photo. Approximately near that yellow building is a huge security fence with armed guards. Basically, the port area is super secure, police stepped on the bus as we came back from downtown to confirm that everyone had a room key for a cruise ship. I felt very safe within the port area, so you and your daughter should be fine hitting up the buildings just off the ship. It'll probably take you 10 minutes to view all of the stuff available for sale.

Until our Ensenada visit, I thought Roatan was the most nerve wracking port experience. Just tons of people congregating outside the port gates and you had to keep a tight grip on your wallet or purse. My wife and I were both totally freaked out by our Ensenada visit and were very happy to get back on the ship. We'll be visiting Southern California a lot over the next several years and the "Catalina + Ensenada" route is extremely popular with the cruise lines. We decided that we'll just skip Ensenada in the future and stay on the ship.
Thank you for the report, especially since it's so current! I have watched some videos, and I try to make sure they are within the last year (2022 only preferably), so it's funny that the perspectives are so different. Granted, it's rare that you find a DCL version, and who knows - maybe that makes a difference. I think we'll plan to wander toward the port gates and take photos and get a sense of our comfort level... and be prepared to just turn around and head back to the ship. Honestly, I am nonplussed by it all, but my daughter might be a little nervous. It's just a shame to not get off (even if it's in the port area), for a new-to-us place.

Do you recall if this Ensenada sign is within the port gate area, or beyond it? I had a hard time figuring this out from the videos I watched. 1670380917710.png

Thank you for the report, especially since it's so current! I have watched some videos, and I try to make sure they are within the last year (2022 only preferably), so it's funny that the perspectives are so different. Granted, it's rare that you find a DCL version, and who knows - maybe that makes a difference. I think we'll plan to wander toward the port gates and take photos and get a sense of our comfort level... and be prepared to just turn around and head back to the ship. Honestly, I am nonplussed by it all, but my daughter might be a little nervous. It's just a shame to not get off (even if it's in the port area), for a new-to-us place.

Do you recall if this Ensenada sign is within the port gate area, or beyond it? I had a hard time figuring this out from the videos I watched. View attachment 723500

I don't recall seeing that Ensenada sign at all. Sorry! It looks like it's at the other cruise terminal, the one in @PrincessShmoo's second photo. We docked at the other terminal, the same one as in her 1st picture. Or, if there was one at our terminal, we did not see it.

As for the crowd, I was referring to Roatan with the people grouped just outside the gate. Sorry for not making that more clear. In Ensenada it didn't get sketchy until we were on the touristry street and were being followed.

Do you recall if this Ensenada sign is within the port gate area, or beyond it? I had a hard time figuring this out from the videos I watched. View attachment 723500
yes, that sign is within the port security. Our family (DH, myself, DD15, DS12, DS10) was just there last month. We walked to the town, about 15 minute walk, ate at the restaurant version of la guerrerense, shopped and headed out. We were there maybe 2-3 hours. We never felt nervous or scared of our surroundings. There was a carnival ship also docked and there were a fair amount of people walking from port to town.

yes, that sign is within the port security. Our family (DH, myself, DD15, DS12, DS10) was just there last month. We walked to the town, about 15 minute walk, ate at the restaurant version of la guerrerense, shopped and headed out. We were there maybe 2-3 hours. We never felt nervous or scared of our surroundings. There was a carnival ship also docked and there were a fair amount of people walking from port to town.
Thank you! We'll play it by ear, then. Glad to know that we can very easily grab photos by that sign, no matter what. :)

Last month in Ensenada, we booked a private tour to go kayaking by La Bufadora. We had a great time and never felt unsafe.

Has anyone experienced the Kumiai Indian Reserve Tour out of Ensenada that is offered through Disney?​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter