• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bad "etiquette", or not?

fan1080

When you wish upon a star......
With regards to using fastpass:

Would it be considered bad etiquette if I was to go get fast passes for an attraction while the rest of my family goes to the standby line. I then excuse my way through the stand-by line to catch up with my family?

Thoughts?

This is a very heated question on the boards and alot of opinions have been given. From what I have seen, the majority of Dissers would say yes, it is bad "etiquette". Don't get us started on pool hopping, strollers, and smoking!;)

no one is going to stop you but i wouldn't recommend it, not after i had to call security because of a fight between unhappy guests and people who were doing that.

IMHO, if your whole family waits in line, and only 1 person come later to catch up, that's fine with me. What I hate is when 1 person holds a place in line and 6 people try to join in later. That's a no-no.

I agree with Simba. I think you would be alright if your family was waiting in line and you caught up, but I would not be very happy if you were waiting in line and your whole family caught up with you.

I really hate when people move in front of me in line to "catch up to their family" I don't care if it's one or 20 it bugs me. We have one person run and get fast passes, but the rest of the family waits at the end of the line for the person to get back...anything else IMO is rude.

Line cutting can be a very sore subject on these boards.

In general, most people here (myself included) tend to feel that cutting into a line that you were not previously in is poor etiquette. If you want to be seated with the rest of your party, then the entire party should wait and enter the line together. Otherwise, the fast pass runner should use the single rider line (where available)--or skip that ride entirely--and meet back up with your party after you exit.

This is a different situation than someone who enters the line with their party, then needs to exit--to take a young child to the restroom, for example. I have no issue with allowing them to re-enter the line to rejoin their party. Key difference being that 1) they did enter the line with their party originally, and 2) leaving the line temporarily was due to a genuine need, and not something done for mere convenience (like running for fast passes).

My family does use the 'fastpass runner' approach at times. It is faster than dragging everyone back and forth across the parks, just to grab the next fastpass. But we always either wait by the entrance to the queue, or go do something else, until the runner returns. Then we enter the line together for those rides/attractions we wish to experience together. Works well for us, and we don't have to worry about ruffling any feathers by attempting to cut in line.

Traditionally.. whomever I'm traveling with.. we time our Fastpass runs around potty breaks and short snacks for others.

So.. while they go potty and get a Dole Whip, I'm running over to Buzz Lightyear to get FP's and then running back to meet them so we can all get in line for Pirates together.

That's has always worked great for us.

Knox

I agree with MattsMom. I don't have a problem if someone is already in line, has to leave for a quick emergency and then gets back in line. But my family does the same thing when getting FPs. They'll wait for me at the standby entrance and we go in together. Honestly, how much longer are you waiting if you do that? 5-10 minutes, maybe. It's really the most courteous way to do it.

It doesn't take long to get fastpasses. I think they should wait for you and you all enter standby together. SOme of the lines are not wide and it is a pain to scrunch together to let someone through

I am definitely in one person hurries for the fastpass while everyone else just takes their time to the next ride. You are already cutting a lot of wait off your times! It works really well and no chance of ticking someone off! :thumbsup2

IMHO, if your whole family waits in line, and only 1 person come later to catch up, that's fine with me. What I hate is when 1 person holds a place in line and 6 people try to join in later. That's a no-no.

I agree wholeheartedly. One person, no big deal - could've been a much needed restroom break, drink of water, phone call, fastpass - I don't care. You would get my OK.

I wouldn't care if its just one person. I would hope most people would be understanding. This could happen with fastpasses, potty emergencies, diaper changes, etc. Just be polite getting back in line!

I say use your best judgement. If you catching up in line doesn't change someone's wait time, (like if there are 5 persons in your family in line for Buzz, and you join them, your family will still use the same number of ride vehicles whether you ride or not) go for it. Or if it is for a show like Philharmagic or Voyage of the Little Mermaid I don't see why not.

Most of the time my family will wait for me to get there. If they do decide to get in line without me, I might join them depending on how far in the line they have progressed, if it is far and I have to pass a bunch of people, then I'll just sit that one out.

I don't have a problem with letting one person or a parent and child join their party, but a bunch of people, I have a problem.

I mean this in the most kind way to possibly put it: CHILL OUT PEOPLE. You are on vacation....relax a little and stop to smell the roses. Whether that means you have to wait a little extra in line or excuse a fellow human being for something out of control. We all (myself included) need to chill on vacation and just take it easy. It seems we have schedules to meet people to beat and such. The next time we go to WDW we are not going to use a schedule. We are just going to get up and go.

Now on the other hand if 20 people are cutting in line and being disrespectful then I think the cast members can figure that out and take care of the situation. But don't ruin vacation for your kids or other family by making a scene.

Just my humble and kind opinion.

Some people won't care at all, some more people will be annoyed by it, but won't say anything, and a few will get angry, which may lead to an ugly confrontation. Don't count on others being in a relaxed vacation mindset. Why tempt fate on vacation? It's not always easy to catch up to people in line. The queues are often narrow and your group may have moved to a point where you can't easily see them when you enter the line. Have your family chill out with a snack or bathroom break while the fastpass runner does his/her job. 5-10 min. wait to get in line isn't going to wreak havoc on your touring schedule.

I don't go at a time of year when the lines are crazy, so I don't care if A SINGLE person needs to join their group up front. A group of 5 or more trying to do the same thing is WRONG and Disney should have a zero tolerance policy for line jumping that is always enforced.

That being said, I'm not going to cause a major scene and let it ruin my vacation, but I'll probably make a sly remark as they go by or in the case of some Brazilian tour group or some adventurous teens, I may make it difficult for them to get by.:)

I have no problem with one person or one person with a child, joining their party that is already in line. I have no idea if this person had to leave a long line to go to the restroom or whatever. Now, a group trying to pass me will have more than a little difficulty. I will be happy to show them where the end of the line is.

so just to throw another stick on this topic...what about someone needing to use the restroom while waiting in line? Myself, I have a hard time going longer than an hour without using the restroom. It stinks having to judge whether or not I can stand in a line based on A) how long the wait time is (over 60 minutes..forget it..will have to pee!) or B) if its the middle of summer and I can't drink water while waiting in line out of fear of having to use the restroom and so I get very light headed. So, how do my fellow DISers feel about an adult having to step out of the line to use the restroom then stepping back in with their family?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter