Back from our first camping trip - the good, bad & ugly

A good time had by all. I've been tent camping for years, and have stocked 2 flat utility boxes for the camping gear, and I still manage to forget something most times. The last trip I got the rain fly tied and fastened in every place except one, right on the upper corner. We woke up the next morning to some pretty stiff winds and the corner that didn't get tied properly caved in on us. Took about a quarter of the tent down with it.

I've made it out a couple of times and discovered that I took the hammer out of the box for something at home, and forgot to put it back in. As you discovered, that's when you find out who the friendly neighbors are.

I have two girls, and have had to take them in the men's showers a few times (knew I wouldn't get away with me in the womens'). Don't worry about the dirty looks. They'll get over it, and if they don't who cares??

Frank showers in the ladies room all the time, just ask him.

I was hoping to see another boy in there but of course I didn't. With the bathroom I don't care, I march them right in there but with the showers it was a little different because there are those free-living women who don't mind walking around naked in a public shower and I didn't want the boys to be embarrassed.

new guy,

what kind of tent do you have? We were thinking of getting one for the kids. Have any pics of the setup?

I was hoping to see another boy in there but of course I didn't. With the bathroom I don't care, I march them right in there but with the showers it was a little different because there are those free-living women who don't mind walking around naked in a public shower and I didn't want the boys to be embarrassed.

my daughter was in the ladies room at the YMCA pool, and she was quite wigged out, lol.

new guy,

what kind of tent do you have? We were thinking of getting one for the kids. Have any pics of the setup?

We had to replace our Wal-Mart special last year. This one is a 10x20' cabin tent from Cabellas. So far its stood up to heavy rain and wind without a problem, except when I don't get the fly attached right.

No, never took a picture of it. I'll try to get one next time we have it up. It's got a ton of space in it, even with the air matreses and the dog.

Welcome back, Soni! Glad you had a good time! I think it's ok to take your boys into the ladies room. They're still pretty young. I wouldn't let them go to the men's shower alone either. I think you are very brave to have undertaken such an adventure. :worship: What a great mom those boys have! Hope you have many more great camping trips!!!

We had to replace our Wal-Mart special last year. This one is a 10x20' cabin tent from Cabellas. So far its stood up to heavy rain and wind without a problem, except when I don't get the fly attached right.

No, never took a picture of it. I'll try to get one next time we have it up. It's got a ton of space in it, even with the air matreses and the dog.

Have you been to a cabellas or do you mail order, there is one near here that we love! That store is so cool.

Have you been to a cabellas or do you mail order, there is one near here that we love! That store is so cool.

We found the tent on the web site, and ordered it online, delivered to the retail store in the next town. Cabellas used to only have 2 retail sites, and the nearest was 3 hours away. They have opened up a bunch of stores in the past few years, now I am only 10 minutes from one.

You're right, they are fantastic. DW makes me leave the credit cards at home when I go there, I could wipe out entire paychecks without any effort at all. Great stuff, but NOT cheap.

We dont have a Cabellas near us that Im aware of...but we DO have a BASS PRO....that place is like a campers heaven....they even have plush camo massaging recliners...man, I tested the HELL out of that chair while the wife scooters around looking at girly campin crap like lacey camo tank tops and camo foldover socks!!!! They got it all covered!!!

We dont have a Cabellas near us that Im aware of...but we DO have a BASS PRO....that place is like a campers heaven....they even have plush camo massaging recliners...man, I tested the HELL out of that chair while the wife scooters around looking at girly campin crap like lacey camo tank tops and camo foldover socks!!!! They got it all covered!!!

We almost bought their tent. It was rounded and easier to get around in when it was full of people, but the rain fly was better in the Cabellas. I'll have to get Cabellas to install one of those chairs. I may never make it home!

Welcome back, Soni! Glad you had a good time! I think it's ok to take your boys into the ladies room. They're still pretty young. I wouldn't let them go to the men's shower alone either. I think you are very brave to have undertaken such an adventure. :worship: What a great mom those boys have! Hope you have many more great camping trips!!!

Aww thanks! I don't know about brave, but stupid came to mind a few times last week. :laughing: I just don't want them to miss out on any of the "boy" stuff so I try to do all those things with them. For $63/night it wasn't a bad way to entertain them at the beach for a week. That included all the campground activites plus access to the waterpark. I had looked into hotels and they were over $200/night in OC so I think we'll stick to the camping thing. :woohoo:

Sounds like a great first trip. I've heard that is a nice campground and a fun area to camp in. :thumbsup2

I think 4 and 6 year old boys should be able to come into the shower house with you. Together they should be ok going into the bathroom with you waiting outside. But for showers I would let them come into the women's one with you. I would think the other women would understand...I can't believe the dirty looks :confused3 We are all in this together, you know ?? :)

Some campgrounds have really nice tent camping areas with grills and sinks for washing dishes. Now that you know you want to try it again you could call around about it when you plan your next trip. I wouldn't suggest washing them in the bathroom or you will get some REALLY dirty looks :rotfl: We have friends that tent camp and they heat up some hot water over the fire or with their propane burner and pour it into two buckets..one for washing dishes and one for rinsing. If they happen to be camping where the camp showers are really gross, she warms up water the same way to wash up her kids before they go to bed.

Most campers are very friendly and willing to help. Some people do get offended though by people coming over to help so that is why people usually ask first. We were camping a few weeks ago and the couple across from us were having trouble backing in their travel trailer. After about 10 minutes of listening to them argue, my dh asked if they needed some help and they snapped at him that they could do it themselves. To each his own I guess.

We've learned alot from people we are camping around. :)

You don't like lacy camo tank tops? You sure you're from Louisiana?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!