Back basket on ECV

Conniequeen

Mouseketeer
I am thinking About getting the rear basket added on to my ECV from Gold Mobility. If I do, do you have to take it off when getting on the bus?

The basket makes your scooter oversized. Some drivers will make you take it off. Sometimes a boat captain will make you remove it. You'll have position your scooter at an angle, some elevators. You'll have to remove the basket before entering a couple of elevators.

Only use the basket if you or a companion are prepared to remove it and carry it. Its not hard to remove but the scooter is easier to maneuver without it

The rear basket works great if you're staying at a monorail resort and scootering to the MK and monorail to EPCOT....staying at an EPCOT resort and scootering to EPCOT and DHS.
Otherwise hang a bag or backpack behind the seat. Much easier

What kind of scooter are you renting from Gold? I used to rent the Go-Go Sport and had none of the problems people have described. I loved having the rear basket. But then, one time, mid-trip, I changed to the next model up, Pride Victory, and that's when the problems began! First time on the bus, the basket got stuck, I got stuck, and it took forever to get me off the bus. Suddenly, I couldn't get on the same elevator I'd ridden with the Go-Go. After 1 1/2 days, the basket stayed in my room. Now I just wish I could get a backpack to stay on the rear of the chair.

Are you taking something that won't fit in the front basket?

After a couple of times renting a scooter, I think the rear basket would make it hard to use. I struggle enough with elevators and doors without adding something to the rear.

Put the shoulder straps around the head rest (captains chair). Key is to position back pack so it's parallel to the ground (sideways).

I'm sure there are other ways to do it.

Only once did we have a rear basket and we actually called to see if we could exchange it for a sunshade. The basket causes lots of problems, even at shows when they ask you to back in a spot. We have been able o put a soft sided cooler on the back (removing for buses) and a tote bag on the arm rest. I even carry my cane between my legs. The rear basket isn't really necessary.

I got a rear basket once and it made the ECV feel like it was double the length. I took it off and it sat in the room until I returned the scooter.

I've put extra things under my legs (like something I bought to take back to the room). It is possible to set a backpack under your legs but not sure I'd drive all day like that. I wear a cross body purse that stays on all the time and put a light backpack in the basket. The basket also holds things I leave in there all day like sunscreen, extra water, etc. I usually set a half eaten thing on top when I park it to hopefully deter anyone who might look through it but there's nothing valuable in there anyway lol.

Put the shoulder straps around the head rest (captains chair). Key is to position back pack so it's parallel to the ground (sideways).

I'm sure there are other ways to do it.
Aha! Thanks. Now I see my problem-I was trying to put the straps on the chair itself, like the edges of the chair were shoulders. Then I couldn't understand why the shoulder straps kept slipping off the "shoulders" of the ECV.

Only once did we have a rear basket and we actually called to see if we could exchange it for a sunshade. The basket causes lots of problems, even at shows when they ask you to back in a spot. We have been able o put a soft sided cooler on the back (removing for buses) and a tote bag on the arm rest. I even carry my cane between my legs. The rear basket isn't really necessary.

I'm curious how you attached the cooler to the back without the back basket? That's been my conundrum with my upcoming trip. I wanted the back basket, but it seems to cause some odd problems that we're discussing, here.

I never had to remove the back basket. I will say that it can be problematic getting on and off the bus however.
Which scooter. Not an issue with the GoGo. The rear basket will cause the Victory ecv to exceed size limits. Many bus drivers will let it slide..Some won't. It's not debatable. Don't use the basket unless you're prepared, and able, to remove it.
The fact that many drivers let it slide is irrelevant. Call and Gold will confirm.

I got a rear basket once and it made the ECV feel like it was double the length. I took it off and it sat in the room until I returned the scooter.

I've put extra things under my legs (like something I bought to take back to the room). It is possible to set a backpack under your legs but not sure I'd drive all day like that. I wear a cross body purse that stays on all the time and put a light backpack in the basket. The basket also holds things I leave in there all day like sunscreen, extra water, etc. I usually set a half eaten thing on top when I park it to hopefully deter anyone who might look through it but there's nothing valuable in there anyway lol.
Don't the squirrels go after the half eaten thing? We've seen squirrels drag small bags out of strollers and scooter baskets - not sure if leaving half eaten food is a good idea, unless you don't mind squirrel poop on your things?

Don't the squirrels go after the half eaten thing? We've seen squirrels drag small bags out of strollers and scooter baskets - not sure if leaving half eaten food is a good idea, unless you don't mind squirrel poop on your things?

Oh yes they are like a gang of thieves in Disney and well coordinated on their stealing of food. I saw them methodically work their way through stroller parking near the seas. Sometimes they even closed the package after taking what they wanted lol. Some went from bottom basket to bottom basket while others hit the top seat and tray area. Opened plastic containers and boxes and bags. It was crazy to see how smart they were!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter