BACK AGAIN?? 10 NIGHTS SAPPHIRE FALLS.....MAY 18 TRIP REPORT

Very nice pictures and funny about the mall. I can do the same thing. Go to the mall, and see lots I want, and lately, not much to see either, where I live.

Sometimes I think just walking around the park is the best, most relaxing thing about vacation. The amount of detail is so interesting to explore.

There really is so much to see in both parks.

I know some folks don’t have the luxury of time to observe the hidden and sometimes obvious delights, but we always make the time to smell the roses.......there really is so much to see.

WEDNESDAY 16TH MAY...…………….

We awoke really early this morning...….the weather forecast last night showed it was to be lovely today, especially in St Augustine where we planned to go for the day. We had never gone there and we weren't really sure why. It`s not too far away and can easily be done in a day......of course you can`t do everything in a day but for our first visit, we would make the most of it.

The view from our windows this morning were lovely......skies were blue, sun was shining and we could see folks walking already with no jackets or ponchos......that's gotta be a good sign!!!

i-8L82xXr-XL.jpg

Showered and dressed we are in an extra jovial mood this morning......do you have those mornings where you just cant stop smiling......well, that's us most days I have to say, but when we are in Orlando, there is just an extra buzz about us...…..we loved wandering about our suite I have to say, it just felt so nice.

We decide to go to Ihop for breakfast. This is a kind of a joke place for us, long story, but it involves Tom being in Florida all the way back in 1981...…..anyway, we had gone a few times before and always enjoyed it.....anything that has a pour as much as you like maple flavoured syrup is good for me!!! But, the one at the top of I Drive the last time we went in hadn't seemed as clean as it should be, and a friend had said she didn't eat there at Christmas for the same reasons, so I didn't want to go back there. We were planning to go to the one on Kirkman as a TM friend had said it was much nicer and more of a local location...….that was good enough for me. I love getting feedback from folks who are local or semi local...….

So, out into the heat of the day, which was gorgeous...….I had remembered to bring my hat with me......Tom always has his hat with him, and the top of my head burns really easy, so we tend to have hats on all the time. We got into the car and set off for Ihop.

Of course even at this time of the morning traffic is heavy and it takes a little longer to get through al the lights at Kirkman particularly......we missed the lights by seconds this morning.....every set it seemed.

As we reached Ihop the rain began to fall ever so gently.....I mentally began to formulate a Plan B in case it got heavier...…. but for now, we just wanted breakfast...….

It was a much nicer place inside than the other, light and spacious and staff were lovely. We got seated over by the window and we continued to glance out frequently watching the change in weather......but it looked positive at the moment. The lady came up with coffee and asked if we were ready to order......well, I was as my order is always the same here...….pancakes and a side of sausages...….but Tom was working on a plan...….if I ordered this breakfast that came with pancakes, he would eat my eggs, and he would swap his bacon...…...OK. That was relatively easy...…..I don't eat a lot of eggs and very rarely when I`m out.....but Tom loved eggs......and I loved bacon!!!

i-FTzDGx5-XL.jpg

i-ndB6QTX-XL.jpg

The coffee was very good and service was a little slow if you were in a hurry, but we weren't. It was pleasant just sat watching the very small amount of people around us. And as told to us, all local, including two police officers who struck up a conversation when they heard our Scottish accents...….always nice to talk to the boys in blue, and these officers were indeed lovely.

It was a few moments before our food arrived and it was nice...….and we did our swap of certain items......we both had pancakes which were lovely.....so light and fluffy....and gorgeous drizzled with the syrup.....although copious amounts of syrup might be a better description!!!!

Tom did say the 4 eggs were a little bit too much...…though neither of us ate the potato rosti on the plate, so we didn't feel too full.

i-qmv9fk6-XL.jpg

i-sbG5ZHt-XL.jpg

i-fr3CL8F-XL.jpg

At $25 before tip, this seemed like a real bargain...…..we had enjoyed it. We paid the check and headed out to the now sunny skies......we were headed to St Augustine after all.

We put any old address into the SatNav and headed off on our journey...….Sat Nav`s are wonderful things at times, but you`ve got to wonder why they take you a certain route......we hadn't typed in to avoid traffic but it didn't take us the I4 straight away...….it took us through what I would call a very local route, building sites and wreckers yards.....not the most scenic route ever...…...but one we got on the main roads it was plain sailing all the way...…

It was a nice journey and we passed a few places we recognized...….

i-hgXszxH-XL.jpg

i-sH9bQ9z-XL.jpg

It took us just under two hours to get here......we took our time and could probably have done it in less time, but we were here. And that was including a very strange detour into a Home Depot!!!! Think that may have been our fault...….we turned too early...…..

We had heard a lot about this place from many people, and I began to think we were the only ones who hadn't been!!! We had been told where to find a handy parking lot, so I was navigating with the satnav map as that wasn't the address we had typed in...…..so there was me trying to navigate while at the same time admiring the absolutely stunning architecture this city enjoyed.

i-HTGZ7Zx-XL.jpg

Oh my goodness!!! How beautiful was this place...….I think I had found my new favourite place to visit...….

We parked near Flagler College and the Cathedral which was beautiful......I had no idea they had a cathedral...…..but, I truly had no idea of the whole history of this City...….I use the word stunning, and it really was.

i-DVmNKBf-XL.jpg

i-g9xWWCn-XL.jpg

i-CTPNHnz-XL.jpg

i-MT78t9x-XL.jpg

i-sFgLndB-XL.jpg

i-rdpmVqG-XL.jpg

The pictures above were taken in the Plaza de la Constitucion and further along was the public market area.....again the history here was fascinating...….

i-h79kGNq-XL.jpg

i-BT3Dnv9-XL.jpg

Flagler College and the Cathedral were right beside us here.

We didn't go in to the Cathedral, but I wish we had now...…..we heard some couples talk about how lovely it was inside.

I think we were both struck by just how peaceful this place was, busy and bustling yes, but still had a peaceful feeling about it. Talk about feeling relaxed and at home...…...we must have wandered around the Plaza for ages just reading the stones with info on them and sitting on the benches enjoying the tranquility of this beautiful place and sitting holding hands, we got some very cute looks from a much older couple who told us it was nice to see the younger generation could still be romantic......lol........we almost looked behind us to see who they were talking about!!!

i-578R4gp-XL.jpg

We were right on St George`s Street where there are an abundance of unique little stores and restaurants with a smattering of gift stores. Not the tacky Disney ones you find towards the 192 at LBV but beautiful little craft and exclusive stores......although we did find one that sold fridge magnets......well, you have to have a fridge magnet...…..

It was lunchtime now, and even though we had enjoyed a large breakfast, it was almost 4 and a half hours later so we were hungry.

We knew exactly where we were going. Our friend had told us about this pizza place, called Pizza Time. It had the honour of being named the second best pizza in America...….quite an accolade when you think of it...….so we had said we would definitely eat there today. There are however a huge amount of non chain options, and every one looked better than the last...….we would be spoiled for choice when we come back. And we would definitely be coming back.

We walked into the street we were wanting and were drawn in by the feel of it...…..it felt cosy and cute at the same time...….

i-rFMtBZ3-XL.jpg

i-2TBztzh-XL.jpg

i-D4Dvcb2-XL.jpg

We saw the pizza place straight away, the Italian Flag was quite the giveaway...…..we had been told and had read online it get`s incredibly busy and at the weekends the line is well out of the door and down the street......but for today, we only had a few people go in before us...…..

i-B63SQJS-XL.jpg

The staff in here really know how to work a line...…..they were friendly and so helpful...….and funny. Soon as we walked in he told us we definitely hadn't been before...….we said no we hadn't but it had been recommended...….he briefly explained the style and choices and said we had to get some olives too, which were free...….well, I do like olives.

Tom had gone to the bathroom and I didn't choose till he got back...…….I was so tempted by the vast selection, but the slices were large so we only planned on getting one each...….

They do only take cash here, but do have an ATM machine which is handy if you don`t have cash on you.

i-pSsvcK8-XL.jpg

i-rjbSn2v-XL.jpg

i-QC4cn3c-XL.jpg

i-QdnfPgM-XL.jpg

i-3jwfz2b-XL.jpg

i-L5Bh5RR-XL.jpg

i-2KpmmvM-XL.jpg

i-QrCXSbQ-XL.jpg

i-WNN9k34-XL.jpg

i-mJL4mHZ-XL.jpg

I was so tempted by the one called Grandma`s Pizza...…...it looked lovely, but I went for the often complained about Ham and Pineapple...….a lot of people don't feel pineapple belongs on a pizza, but I love it...…..and Tom opted for the meat lovers pizza...…..I had guessed that was the one he would go for.

It was also very hot, so I graciously declined the one glass free offer on wine...….we stuck to pepsi……..I `m quite sure it was cheap bottled plonk so I don't think I was missing much anyway.

i-3nRqLP3-XL.jpg

i-6D2SVdn-XL.jpg

They were delicious!!!! I`m not a fan of base usually but this one had a taste all of it`s own and it was thin...…..I won`t compare to NYC pizzas, as they are unbeatable generally, but they were up there as good as them somehow...…..we both loved every morsel and devoured them fairly quickly. We did wish we had room for another slice between us...…….I sprinkled mine with chilli flakes of course...…..

The other half of the place has a gelato counter and it did look nice and very tasty...…...but we wanted ice cream and planned to have some after we left here.

i-zMgkk25-XL.jpg

We were over the moon with the start to our day here...….we had sunshine, good pizza and now we were heading for some Ice cream from Kilwins!!

I love your reports. You have such a beautiful personality and your husband's smile lights up a room. Thanks so much for sharing!

St. Augustine looks lovely! You and Tom are great ambassadors of Florida! You could have a show on the Travel Channel!

We’ve never been to northern Florida at all. Have to find time to do so!

Finally made it to comment Carole! I've been reading as I can but my life is crazy right now (when isn't it?:confused:)

Love the report so far...I think Florida should hire you as a Travel Ambassador. Yummy food, lovely friends beautiful towns what more does one need in life?

I'm thinking you should write a travel book or a blog. Your style of writing just transports a person right to the places you write about.
Looking forward to more (by the way I LOVE your more frequent trips. That way I don't have to wait as long between my own vicarious trips:cheer2:)

Yay! Caught up!

Tom's smile. <3

We went to Ocean Prime in NYC. Second best meal we had.

This made me giggle:
The Goblins are so unfriendly looking, and you do feel as though you are interfering in their private business. They don't look amenable at all...…

Dickens and Knockturn Alley.... you and Davy are kindred spirits!

My parents and Davy and I used to meet up at an iHop between our homes. Mom would always insist on paying and she is a HORRIBLE tipper, so Davy and I always somehow scheme so that one of us distracts her and the other leaves more on the table for a tip. One of his favorite things! Unfortunately, that iHop closed about a year ago and now my parents don't really drive (90 and 86 years old!). Anyway, we love it, but mostly for the scheming part. hahaha

I love your reports. You have such a beautiful personality and your husband's smile lights up a room. Thanks so much for sharing!

:welcome: Tammy..........

I’m so glad you’ve joined in reading along, it’s nice to see you post........and thank you so much for the lovely comments........I appreciate that.........

Hope you enjoy the rest of it.......:)

St. Augustine looks lovely! You and Tom are great ambassadors of Florida! You could have a show on the Travel Channel!

We’ve never been to northern Florida at all. Have to find time to do so!

Thanks Patty.....we love to explore and there are so many places beyond Orlando to visit........

And St Augustine is a place I’d definitely recommend to anyone........we loved it!

Finally made it to comment Carole! I've been reading as I can but my life is crazy right now (when isn't it?:confused:)

Love the report so far...I think Florida should hire you as a Travel Ambassador. Yummy food, lovely friends beautiful towns what more does one need in life?

I'm thinking you should write a travel book or a blog. Your style of writing just transports a person right to the places you write about.
Looking forward to more (by the way I LOVE your more frequent trips. That way I don't have to wait as long between my own vicarious trips:cheer2:)

And another warm :welcome: back to you my friend too.......

Lovely to see you!!! Yes, life can take over at times and be quite hectic.......but Glad you’re here now......

And thank you so much too!!! I take that as a very high compliment, I adore writing........and thanks again, yes we are very excited at being able to visit more often.......we love the place.......we just love America.........I still have a tee shirt Tom bought me years ago that says “Born to be an American” I love it! But it’s beyond faded now........

Hope the rest lives up to the others.........:wave2:

Yay! Caught up!

Tom's smile. <3

We went to Ocean Prime in NYC. Second best meal we had.

This made me giggle:

Dickens and Knockturn Alley.... you and Davy are kindred spirits!

My parents and Davy and I used to meet up at an iHop between our homes. Mom would always insist on paying and she is a HORRIBLE tipper, so Davy and I always somehow scheme so that one of us distracts her and the other leaves more on the table for a tip. One of his favorite things! Unfortunately, that iHop closed about a year ago and now my parents don't really drive (90 and 86 years old!). Anyway, we love it, but mostly for the scheming part. hahaha

There’s one picture I took of Tom when he was quite tired..........and I said, big smile for Alice.........:laughing: it worked......lol.....

Oh I’m so glad you enjoyed Ocean Prime in NYC!!! Now I’m curious where your best meal was if that was your second favourite.........:scratchin

Can’t beat a bit of Dickens!! I need to replace The Old Curiosity Shop as I spilled red wine on it, thankfully it’s not a special edition or anything, but it was part of a set. I was the geeky kid in school who loved when the teacher mentioned Shakespeare or Dickens........I’m glad your Davy loves books too......they are so important but sadly so many kids don’t get read to or read as much.

That’s funny re your mother and tipping!! I can envisage you and Davy plotting away......lol.......bless them. We have a friend who even over here won’t tip, we detest that.........she is so bad now Tom refuses to go out for a meal if she’s there........we don’t see her often anyway.......but it’s nice you have such fond memories of ihop........

And glad you’re back safely, hope the trip was a lot of fun for you both.........:wave2:

There’s one picture I took of Tom when he was quite tired..........and I said, big smile for Alice.........:laughing: it worked......lol.....

Oh I’m so glad you enjoyed Ocean Prime in NYC!!! Now I’m curious where your best meal was if that was your second favourite.........:scratchin

Can’t beat a bit of Dickens!! I need to replace The Old Curiosity Shop as I spilled red wine on it, thankfully it’s not a special edition or anything, but it was part of a set. I was the geeky kid in school who loved when the teacher mentioned Shakespeare or Dickens........I’m glad your Davy loves books too......they are so important but sadly so many kids don’t get read to or read as much.

That’s funny re your mother and tipping!! I can envisage you and Davy plotting away......lol.......bless them. We have a friend who even over here won’t tip, we detest that.........she is so bad now Tom refuses to go out for a meal if she’s there........we don’t see her often anyway.......but it’s nice you have such fond memories of ihop........

And glad you’re back safely, hope the trip was a lot of fun for you both.........:wave2:

I put a mini-report up about the Potter part of the trip. :) Our favorite was John's Pizzeria. LOVED that place. Ate there twice and kept leftovers for a couple of other meals!

And, YAY TOM! LOL

I put a mini-report up about the Potter part of the trip. :) Our favorite was John's Pizzeria. LOVED that place. Ate there twice and kept leftovers for a couple of other meals!

And, YAY TOM! LOL

Yep, just visited your report.......it was good!!!

Lol......he’s your biggest fan!!! :D

Johns in Times Sq?? Tom has chosen that place to try this time...... ::yes::

We had Bleeker St pizza last time and it was lovely too......very unique place!

OK, caught UP! This site is driving me crazy with the reloading arrrgh.

Love how you think, save the purse! I can’t bring myself to take my ‘fancy’ purses into the park, even if a small crossbody. Usually a VB something or other or dreaded fanny pack @ Universal lol.

Re the sloppy crocs, i’m Convinced they changed the formulation a few years back. More than a few times i’ve Found myself skidding across a damp surface and the tread is still in great shape on various shoes. Referring to the sandal type vs the clogs, rather nerve wracking.

Have had Gaylord Palms as a rainy day fall back for decades, have yet to do it. Love the idea of exploring the various atriums though, especially the Florida swamp one. Those gator aren’t as easy to find these days. Probably a very good thing.

Ok the wings, were they breaded or merely fried (my preference). Any seasoning upon them or was it all in the sauce. Inquiring minds need to know :)

Lastly, have to say it, Tom has such an infectious smile. Hard to imagine him cross lol.

I finally got my computer back and am so excited to read another trip report! One of these days my husband and I are going to go outside the Universal bubble and see all the wonderful things that you and Tom do!

OK, caught UP! This site is driving me crazy with the reloading arrrgh.

Love how you think, save the purse! I can’t bring myself to take my ‘fancy’ purses into the park, even if a small crossbody. Usually a VB something or other or dreaded fanny pack @ Universal lol.

Re the sloppy crocs, i’m Convinced they changed the formulation a few years back. More than a few times i’ve Found myself skidding across a damp surface and the tread is still in great shape on various shoes. Referring to the sandal type vs the clogs, rather nerve wracking.

Have had Gaylord Palms as a rainy day fall back for decades, have yet to do it. Love the idea of exploring the various atriums though, especially the Florida swamp one. Those gator aren’t as easy to find these days. Probably a very good thing.

Ok the wings, were they breaded or merely fried (my preference). Any seasoning upon them or was it all in the sauce. Inquiring minds need to know :)

Lastly, have to say it, Tom has such an infectious smile. Hard to imagine him cross lol.

Lol......he doesn’t get cross much.....usually if someone has tried to upset me then he gets mad........he is very over protective, but I don’t mind over protective........:hug:

Wings were fried!! And really nice actually........I “think” flavour was all in the sauce.......not the best wings I’ve ever had, but decent.......

Oh I still have my fanny pack too, but the burgundy leather one is handy too, and doesn’t stain when you spill sangria on it.....even a lot of sangria!! Yep, my first thought was thank goodness it wasn’t the other bag.......

Saw our first gator this year in the real world.........well, I saw it’s tail........Gaylord is nice for a visit.......yes those sandal type crocs have changed massively......they are slippy when they didn’t used to be like that and definitely smaller made....things never seem to change for the better......

Glad you’re still enjoying and yes, the site is annoying right now!!!

Last edited:
I finally got my computer back and am so excited to read another trip report! One of these days my husband and I are going to go outside the Universal bubble and see all the wonderful things that you and Tom do!

:welcome: luvisdogs.........oh no compute troubles!!! I think I’ve heard more folks say that recently........glad you’re back though and hope your computer behaves now.......:D

It is hard to leave the Universal bubble as it is so much fun..........but yep, there is so much to see around other areas..........we love just wandering around........

Nice to see you post!!

Late to the party as usual but so glad I clicked here. We're looking at doing the 3 bedroom suite at Sapphire Falls if we can get a good APH rate in the fall. We've got 6 adults and a baby and it looks divine!!!!

Still not sure if we can manage without express pass though.

Dang @schumigirl, I didn't know you guys were going to St. Augustine! I live right up the road; we do day trips there all the time. It would have been fun to meet up. Oh well, I guess I need to start reading your PTRs more carefully.

That pizza looks great. We found a little pizza place, in a basement, on our college visit, that DH said was the best place to eat. It was cheap, and fresh, and well, I put so much toppings on our pizza, you could barely lift it. Then also put red pepper flakes on.

We have an IHOP, soon to be IHOB, near us, but will not eat there. There are better breakfast places around, including a very small cafe up the road that my older one wants to eat at again.

Great pictures of St. A, and nice you got some time to explore there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter