Babies crying on crowded busses

MommyBryn

DIS Veteran
Tell me I'm not the only one!!! When we went with my DD1 who was 11 months old at the time (2 years ago)d, we had one night on a VERY crowded bus where she just screamed from the minute we got on at DTD until we got to our resort. It was awful. She wouldn't nurse, wouldn't be distracted, my DH didn't know how to help...and it was just awful. The bus was DEAD silent other than my daugthers screaming and crying. I got a few understanding smiles from the people sitting around me, but it was just terrible. We never had an experience like that any other time on the vacation, NOR did we experience anyone ELSE having that problem...not during ANY of the many vacations we've taken down there. This time we're going back with DD who'll be almost 3, but we'll also have my 7/8 month old too. Gosh I hope that I can avoid that happening again!

Tell me I'm not the only on in the history of Disney with a screaming baby making everyone else miserable in a small enclosed space! :sad2: :lmao:

You do not have any reason to hang your head in shame. You were taking your child to your resort and their bed. You tried all means available to calm your child.

Almost everyone understands that babies sometimes cry. While listening to it isn't that much fun, it is also simply a fact of life. I only get irritated if the parents with the child are not trying to soothe the little one.

You don't need to worry about having a crying child. When you are doing everything in your power, no honorable person will be offended. Pack up those little ones, head down to Disney, and have a great time.

--Eeyore's Wife

Were you able to figure out why she was screaming? Overtired, gassy tummy, etc?

Were you able to figure out why she was screaming? Overtired, gassy tummy, etc?

Oh it was just a rough night and she was tired, I'm sure. This was nearly 2 years ago. But she was a really high needs baby (very colicky for 4 months, too) so the screaming cry was nothing new to us, it was just an unfortunate time for it to happen. It's just that in all of my vacations there we've never encountered that. I certainly know I'm not the only one, but sometimes it feels that way considering how many babies we've been around at Disney and how many we've actually been around while screaming their heads off.

Now, fit throwing in the middle of the walkway at Magic Kingdom is another thing.... :rotfl: And I'm sure our time is coming for that one, too!!

My thinking is that everyone on the bus has either "been there done that" or they have no clue. Now in a show where you can walk out or a resturant where you can leave most people would expect you to do so but on a bus you are stuck so just smile and make the best of it. My DS was a high needs baby (ok, he screamed all the time). Most people felt sorry for us instead of being judgmental.

I think people that would get angry at somebody in your position are jerks (not the first word i would choose). Sometimes babies are inconsolable. Every parent has been there and every parent has wanted to crawl under a rock. Dont let it bother you.

Short flight (35 minutes) from chicago home to rochester. Door closes, our son who had been an angel for days of traveling, finally blew. He BAWLED from wheels up to about 45 seconds before touchdown. Nothing we did would console him.

I think we had crying babies on our last trip every night on the bus and you know what - who cares! We sure didn't. Babies cry - it's a fact of life. Those who don't like it should drive!:thumbsup2

Who is anyone to judge, we were all babies once and I am quite sure we all cried, sometimes with bad timing. Like PPs said, you did what you could and you could not leave so no one should look at you with anything but compassion. Now, older kids acting up with parents sitting and ignoring it, that bothers me, but a baby...no. Have a great time with your children.

That was us last year :hug:

We got on the bus at the marketplace in DTD and he just started screaming. Nothing would calm him....it was terrible. I will admit that we had pushed him a bit hard that day but we it was our only night in DTD and we had a lot of stores to check out. He was 20 months old at the time and he gave us a hard time on the busses throughout the week though....he just didn't understand that he had to sit or be held on them, he wanted to walk around.

Anyway, my mom got all worked up with him screaming and she was laying into me about pushing him to hard which only made it worse. So my DH, DS and I got off the bus at the Pleasure Island stop and my mom went back to the resort with our purchases alone. We threw him in the stroller, gave him a drink and just started strolling. He eventually calmed down and went to sleep and we got back on another bus (much less crowded as well) and he slept the whole way back.

We now rent a car when we go and it has been much better......we will again have a car in 2 weeks. We may try the busses though on our trip in May since he is older now and hopefully will understand the busses a little better.

You're not the only one, though our story involved a different annoyance.

Dh took DS (then 15 mos) to visit his parents in another state. Just the boys, I stayed home. On the flight home DS started vomiting...all over DH's clothes. They moved them to the back of the plane near the ventilation, but he reeked...I smelled him 4 feet away when I picked them up.

I can't imagine that was a fun plane ride for anyone, and assume most of the other passengers would have rather he screamed the whole time than puked!

I agree with other posters - if someone is going to get mad about your baby crying on a bus, then they are just grumpy people. Babies cry - and most people realize this and sometimes nothing you do will console them. We try our best and sometimes it just doesnt work - especially if you have an overly tired baby. Which I am sure Disney is full of!

We are heading down to the World tomorrow with our 13 month old and I am sure we will have our moments, too!

I had the same problem only on the flight to and from. My 17 month old grandaughter didn't like the landings. Everything we did, didn't help. She kept going back from mom and dad and then wanted grandma, that finally got her settled down. We got some pretty nasty looks. I told my ds and dil to calm down and not be upset about other people, that only makes the baby more tense.

our first trip, our 1st night, home on the ferry from MK to Ft. Wilderness (inside) with 3 crying 2 year olds (2 of whom were inconsolable the entire trip). to anyone trapped inside that ferry with us...

i promise i learned my lesson! that time, with my kids, it WAS our fault that they were crying. we decided to "wing" it and see how they did that first night...after that one night we learned to STiCK TO THEIR SCHEDULE! here we are 7 trips later and we're still sticking to their schedule!

take care,

When we were at WDW in July I had my 3.5 month old.
She is a really easy going baby, and had done fine the whole trip. But for some reason Spectro Magic freaked her out, and we were meeting my parents/sister's family after fireworks, so we had to stick around.
I went to town hall to ask them to direct me to the baby care centre (I was totally lost and freaking because she was freaking).
She was so loud and red the security guard asked if she would need medical attention or first aid!
I just could not calm her the whole walk over.
It felt like everyone was staring - but she did calm down.
I think it happens frequently

The busses. Ugh! Our "baby" (turned 2 during the trip) cried almost every time we were on the bus. He wanted to climb around and DH or I were trying to restrain him the whole time and he just threw a fit. I'm sure people thought he was a monster or that we were "bad" parents who had overstimulated him, but honestly we did not have one issue the entire 9 days we were there except on the busses. He rode in the stroller with no complaints and we were never in a park for more than 3 hours at a time. We went in the morning and then went back to the hotel for a 4 hour (!) nap then went to another park until about 8:00 (regular bedtime is 8:30). He certainly shouldn't have been over-tired.

We felt really horrible, but honestly no one seemed to mind (too much). We got alot of reassuring looks and "I don't like the busses either" or "I'm tired too" comments directed at our son. Maybe it helped that our two girls were little angels, so people assumed the baby was having a problem and not that we were parents who didn't know how to control our kids.

It's amazing how much more sympathetic/empathetic I've become since having kids. I never could understand why the women with children I worked with never got to work on time. Now I do! I don't even flinch when I hear a screaming baby because honey, been there done that and I'm proud to say I survived.

I remember after my first was born I was a wreck to go out in public because I thought she'd cry and disturb everyone around us. I went for my 6 week post partum and learned my blood pressure was super high. I told my doctor I was stressed out about taking the baby out in public. He laughed and said get used to it! People understand that babies cry!

You'll be fine. Remember that babies take their cue from you. If you're stressing so will they!

Oh i can feel your pain . My little one was 1 when she went the first time. I didn't know how much she could take, but found out when we entered the monorail from EPCOT to MK at 10PM. Most people with children were beat and closing their eyes for a much needed rest. It was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop until my little one decided to take the opportunity to express her unhappiness. She screamed and screamed. I did everything possible to calm her. I was so embarassed and I felt so bad for everyone else. That was the longest ride ever.
Now when it happens to someone else i just give an empathetic look because I have been there. Anyone with children should be able to understand and anyone that doesn't is unreasonable. Sometimes you can't control a crying child. It would be one thing if a parent wasn't trying to do something about it, but you were. No harm done.

Babies cry and scream. Fact of life. I am sure it was obvious to everyone that you were doing the best you could. :)

Mine have never cried on the busses or had big fits at Disney. (We always joke that Disney must pump in extra oxygen or something to keep everyone happy when they must be running on empty.) But, we have had the screaming child, at inopportune times.

I agree with the other posters. You did the best you could. It happens. Although I'm sure nobody "liked" the crying, I think most people are understanding about it... and those that aren't. Well... their day will come! ;)

To me when I think of Disney, I think of kids, so if they have a problem hearing a baby cry, then they need to go somewhere else. Yes, it would probably annoy me after a long day but hey, that's life, babies cry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter