Avatar to open Christmas next year?

At this rate.... they should already have announced another big attraction for AK, to come online a few years after Avatar is open.

At this rate.... they should already have announced another big attraction for AK, to come online a few years after Avatar is open.

Bingo.

And that is at the root of near all my "unfounded" criticisms.

It's a short sighted approach.

Here's another thing I was thinking about...if the "optimistic" opinions are true and they are hurrying up a bit on MGM...wouldn't that marginalize avatar by putting it back burner in year 2?

The animal keepers might have to go over and deactivate the hyperdrive on the millenium falcon...

Geographically, it doesn't look like they have room for expansion......so that means something would have to go, and then be replaced. You wouldn't announce that you are closing an area of the park for an extended time without bringing something new online first.

So, my wild guess based entirely on conjecture is this: Avatar gets finished and opens. Dino land gets shut down for re-imagining....long term. I would think the carnival rides might be maxing out their lifetime duty cycle. If nothing else, ditch the prime evil whirl for something more disney. Half it's market audience is too short to ride the darn thing. Basically one new attraction, replacing the whirl, some re-theming. Lipstick on a pig, let it ride for another 20 years or so.

Geographically, it doesn't look like they have room for expansion......so that means something would have to go, and then be replaced. You wouldn't announce that you are closing an area of the park for an extended time without bringing something new online first.

So, my wild guess based entirely on conjecture is this: Avatar gets finished and opens. Dino land gets shut down for re-imagining....long term. I would think the carnival rides might be maxing out their lifetime duty cycle. If nothing else, ditch the prime evil whirl for something more disney. Half it's market audience is too short to ride the darn thing. Basically one new attraction, replacing the whirl, some re-theming. Lipstick on a pig, let it ride for another 20 years or so.

They just have to come up with a good ip to use. Since Good Dinosaur underperformed, I wonder if any potential project based on Good Dinosaur for that area got the axe. I mean, they could still use that particular property if they notice good sales in merchandise and home entertainment, but still... Disney is clearly pushing strong ip based attractions, so it might take a while before any proper addition takes Dino land's place.

That would be fun next XMAS, esp including ROL.

With the upcoming schedule, may as well plan on at least 5 years straight of AP renewals-will be a great run. :wizard:

They just have to come up with a good ip to use. Since Good Dinosaur underperformed, I wonder if any potential project based on Good Dinosaur for that area got the axe. I mean, they could still use that particular property if they notice good sales in merchandise and home entertainment, but still... Disney is clearly pushing strong ip based attractions, so it might take a while before any proper addition takes Dino land's place.

Good dinosaur was rewritten and filled with production problems...that's prob by why it was stashed on the schedule in an overcrowded Disney year.

I don't think they ever planned any attractions for that.

Most movies like that die on the vine...and the notable except - Tangled - has not been used at all in the parks. That's a shame because I will alrways argue it is/was better than frozen.

AK does have expansion space.

I think once avatar comes on we might finally see that Everest refurb.

AK still has a large expansion plot behind Asia.

Capture.JPG

AK does have expansion space.

I think once avatar comes on we might finally see that Everest refurb.

That really depends. If they get a big uptick in attendance - which is obviously what they're going for...they will not take it offline.

Remember the space mountain Incident(s)

That really depends. If they get a big uptick in attendance - which is obviously what they're going for...they will not take it offline.

Remember the space mountain Incident(s)
I'm not saying it will happen right away but eventually maybe a year or two after avatar opens.

I'm not saying it will happen right away but eventually maybe a year or two after avatar opens.

I'm not saying you're "saying" anything...

What I'm suggesting based on recent events is that the "management" system and lack of numbers of attractions procludes taking Inning eaters out of the Inventory.

One is a correlation based on opinion...one is purely conjecture.

I think they should come up with a fundamental concept for the land without necessarily referring to a specific film. I mean, it already has a concept, it's just the that concept is a lousy one and apparently was only invented to provide a retroactive "backstory" (excuse) for installing carnival rides.

Jurassic Park is a great story but it's already taken. "What if we could create a population of dinosaurs from ancient DNA and build a theme park."

The Land that Time Forgot is another great story. "What if dinosaurs still survived in a remote corner of Florida"

Or how about, step through a time machine into the Mesozoic Era where time traveling modern humans have built a theme park.

Or a mystical, magical angle ... the sorcerer Yensid's assistant cast a spell that caused the creatures of this huge fossil deposit to come to life.

But that's just the gloss that would need to be put on a bunch of really great rides.

I think they should come up with a fundamental concept for the land without necessarily referring to a specific film. I mean, it already has a concept, it's just the that concept is a lousy one and apparently was only invented to provide a retroactive "backstory" (excuse) for installing carnival rides.

Jurassic Park is a great story but it's already taken. "What if we could create a population of dinosaurs from ancient DNA and build a theme park."

The Land that Time Forgot is another great story. "What if dinosaurs still survived in a remote corner of Florida"

Or how about, step through a time machine into the Mesozoic Era where time traveling modern humans have built a theme park.

Or a mystical, magical angle ... the sorcerer Yensid's assistant cast a spell that caused the creatures of this huge fossil deposit to come to life.

But that's just the gloss that would need to be put on a bunch of really great rides.

I agree. They could come up with a strong concept for a new ride to complement Dinosaur without relying on ip, but since all the non-ip rides Disney has done in recent years have gone to Asia, I assume a strong ip is important for them to move forward and build a decent replacement for Dino-Rama. But hey, they can always throw a small roller coaster in there (not a wild mouse, please) and add some nice theming ala temple du péril at Paris and call it a day. If it's better than Dino-rama, then I'm in.

That plot is hard to get to though. It would require a lot of meandering paths to access it or some other way to get back there. I don't think the wilderness express has the capacity to take a whole bunch of people to new attractions built there.

The most prudent course of action if you're planning out another investment in the park is the redo dinoland.

They probably would be wise to just eliminate the theme and start over again...but if sticking with dinosaurs I think all the rides would have to go...they don't hold up longterm and cheaters and Hester's
Specifically was an emergency/stopgap move to try and halt an attendance slide early in the parks history.

It's what happens when you build half of a super expensive park.

100% on eisner

The most prudent course of action if you're planning out another investment in the park is the redo dinoland.

They probably would be wise to just eliminate the theme and start over again...but if sticking with dinosaurs I think all the rides would have to go...they don't hold up longterm and cheaters and Hester's
Specifically was an emergency/stopgap move to try and halt an attendance slide early in the parks history.

It's what happens when you build half of a super expensive park.

100% on eisner
I would keep Dinosaur and get rid of everything else.

Those type of rides degrade longterm and the maintenance goes way up...probably why AA shows fell out of favor at Epcot to a certain degree.

Dinosaur is a bit tired and based on a failed movie that Eisner thought to be a slamdunk. Like pocahantas.

But this is one case where I actually think a clone would be in order. Indiana jones adventure is the exact same track...and you could incorporate South American animals into the area and make it an immediate pop culture draw with the franchise tie in.

But wait...you'd have to pay Lucas to use the character...damn ;)

i agree
I took my brother and his family this past summer and they are not Disney fans just casual fans at best and they all loved Dinosaur thought it was one of the best rides at WDW
a huge number of guest just want to enjoy the experience and they dont over analyze the ride or worry about the IP
Dinosaur offers some theming, along with some thrill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter