Avatar to open Christmas next year?

OnSpaceshipEarth

DIS Veteran
Over at MouseChat their resident Animal Kingdom fan(Sharpie) said that he is hearing Pandora will open before Christmas next year. He said Disney is feeling the heat from all of Universal's exploding growth.

I've tried to search for this but all I find is Summer 2017(at the earliest).

Anyone heard that it may open next Christmas?

The original opening was set for preholiday 2016 ala phase 1 of New Fantasyland where it soft opened before the holidays and then was open for the public ober the holiday season. Then it was pushed to summer 2017 due to construction delays. If they have brought in more construction crews and are working crazy over time I could see them pushing for the holiday season next year.

The original opening was set for preholiday 2016 ala phase 1 of New Fantasyland where it soft opened before the holidays and then was open for the public ober the holiday season. Then it was pushed to summer 2017 due to construction delays. If they have brought in more construction crews and are working crazy over time I could see them pushing for the holiday season next year.
Avatar was never delayed its been on schedule for 2017. There was a rumor a month or so ago that avatar could soft open late 2016 but that's unlikely.

Good god...that timeline is ridiculous...

They could easily have their own 2,000,000,000 movie opening mere hours away...and they're still monkeying around with avatar - year 6

Good god...that timeline is ridiculous...

They could easily have their own 2,000,000,000 movie opening mere hours away...and they're still monkeying around with avatar - year 6

Yeah it's clearly excessive. In fairness the actual construction is proceeding reasonably, but they took so long to actually get started...

Thanks for sharing that. It's a bit out of the typical narrative that's been going around, but then again things have been going a bit crazy recently. Star Wars at Disneyland Park and I believe Disney's Hollywood Studios Park have been expedited. This is a time of major investment and interest in parks.

If I had to guess, it seems like getting Avatar done faster is as much a response to Universal as it's a response to ESPN sputtering out of gas.

This would be consistent with Robert Iger applying the gas to Walt Disney Parks and Resorts globally.

Thanks for sharing that. It's a bit out of the typical narrative that's been going around, but then again things have been going a bit crazy recently. Star Wars at Disneyland Park and I believe Disney's Hollywood Studios Park have been expedited. This is a time of major investment and interest in parks.

If I had to guess, it seems like getting Avatar done faster is as much a response to Universal as it's a response to ESPN sputtering out of gas.

This would be consistent with Robert Iger applying the gas to Walt Disney Parks and Resorts globally.
my guess would be that with TSL and Star wars maybe coming on line a little faster than originally thought they want to speed up the opening of Pandora while construction is going on at DHS

i could totally see this opening late 16 early 17

Looking at recent Ariel videos and photos I was a little surprised how far along the building facade was. I can see the possibility they might be able to make a late 2016 opening but not holding my breath.

Avatar was announced in 2011 with the statement from Tom Staggs, Chairman, Walt Disney parks and Resorts - "project ... takes about 5 years to design and build." Their announcement also said they had already begun the design so the math would lead one to believe the project would be complete end of 2016.

In early 2015 they then said "We’re planning to share Pandora’s grandeur with our guests in early 2017." by Bruce Vaughn, Chief Creative Executive, Walt Disney Imagineering, so not that far off from original projection.

Might happen, might not ...

Avatar was announced in 2011 with the statement from Tom Staggs, Chairman, Walt Disney parks and Resorts - "project ... takes about 5 years to design and build." Their announcement also said they had already begun the design so the math would lead one to believe the project would be complete end of 2016.

In early 2015 they then said "We’re planning to share Pandora’s grandeur with our guests in early 2017." by Bruce Vaughn, Chief Creative Executive, Walt Disney Imagineering, so not that far off from original projection.

Might happen, might not ...

That's how I got to delays. In very very early press it was hinted towards holiday 2016 then we heard early 2017. Now peoplare are saying summer. If it does end up being summer 2017 then there were delays.

That's how I got to delays. In very very early press it was hinted towards holiday 2016 then we heard early 2017. Now peoplare are saying summer. If it does end up being summer 2017 then there were delays.
Everything I've heard is its on schedule. Jim Hill was the only one I saw said there were possible delayed but then he back tracked in a more recent update that it's on schedule.

That's longer that it took them to build the original parks....with better technology today

Truth is in the eye of the beholder.

The first rule of construction is that you have to want to be finished. If you don't...there's usually an ulterior motive involving money.

Yeah...when I heard it I definitely took notice. It would be so nice for them to open something earlier than expected.

I love AK and I'm super-excired for all of this and especially it's becoming a night-time park!

Any talk of a phased opening for Avatar? Seems you could open part for the holidays as a soft opening. Maybe just the land itself(of course gift shops and restaurants), with the attractions opening when ready. In this age of drone photography, it's hard to keep the open air stuff under wraps anyway.

Any talk of a phased opening for Avatar? Seems you could open part for the holidays as a soft opening. Maybe just the land itself(of course gift shops and restaurants), with the attractions opening when ready. In this age of drone photography, it's hard to keep the open air stuff under wraps anyway.
nope opening all at once

One of the things they learned brutally years ago is never open anything in the busiest times

There was for a while but it will open all at once instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter