Australian prices and itineraries are up

HAHAH this is why I don't plan to tell her for a while as she'd be the same lol. Plus she doesn't have concept of time lol

I can certainly understand and empathize with the shock of the US vs AUS $ for sure. Since Canada is, you know, right next door to the US, I guess it's more understandable for us haha With most cruiselines, from what I understand, charging AUS customers IN AUS $, the fact that Disney is coming in and not doing that would definitely leave a sour taste in my mouth too.
Also, except for the Alaska and European cruises, the cruises you are talking about are leaving from the US (and the Alaskan cruises are mainly in the US) - you’d expect them to be charged in that currency. These cruises never touch US soil/waters, so a bit weirder.

Though I suppose it is like many tour companies (including ABD) that are US companies - they charge in USD regardless of where the trip is or where you are buying the tours from.

Also, except for the Alaska and European cruises, the cruises you are talking about are leaving from the US (and the Alaskan cruises are mainly in the US) - you’d expect them to be charged in that currency. These cruises never touch US soil/waters, so a bit weirder.

Though I suppose it is like many tour companies (including ABD) that are US companies - they charge in USD regardless of where the trip is or where you are buying the tours from.
I agree it is really weird, maybe they will configure the currency if they come back like they have for UK/Europe.

I think ABD is always in USD, Australian’s wouldn’t go on an ABD Australian tour they are for international tourists, mostly Americans I expect.

Royal and Princess (even NCL) charge in CDN dollars no matter where the cruise leaves from.

Royal and Princess (even NCL) charge in CDN dollars no matter where the cruise leaves from.
They charge me in AUD, including Canadian cruises. The website must know where the user is and charge accordingly. Also Royal and Princess have equivalent cruises, same time of year, similar room for $2500 AUD vs $7300 AUD for Disney.

In other news the pending charge from the call to guest services dropped off and now it looks like I didn’t pay. I’ve tried so many times, I have pending charges worth the cruise being paid in full but it looks like I’ll loose the booking if the payment system is not fixed by tomorrow.

I hope everyone is safe in Florida and all will be well.

Last edited:
Most of them have all booked out within a day except some f the ridiculous concierge prived cabins. Maybe they should move a second ship to australia new zealand if they can charge that much for the wonder and all sell.

It will be interesting to see how much availability shows up in a few days when all the holds for quotes expire. I ended up with second seating for dining which I’m really hoping can be moved to main dining.

If I don’t manage to move it, has anyone had experience doing second seating with a toddler? (She will be 2.5 when we cruise). Is it awful? My 8 year old will cope fine with it, I’m sure, but I am pretty concerned about how our toddler will stay up so late. On the bright side, she will enjoy the shows more being earlier and maybe my husband and I take turns skipping dinner and taking her back to the room to sleep.

It will be interesting to see how much availability shows up in a few days when all the holds for quotes expire. I ended up with second seating for dining which I’m really hoping can be moved to main dining.

If I don’t manage to move it, has anyone had experience doing second seating with a toddler? (She will be 2.5 when we cruise). Is it awful? My 8 year old will cope fine with it, I’m sure, but I am pretty concerned about how our toddler will stay up so late. On the bright side, she will enjoy the shows more being earlier and maybe my husband and I take turns skipping dinner and taking her back to the room to sleep.
Our youngest was 5 on our first cruise and we did late seating. Those cruises left from Florida so we got the kids acclimatised to eating at that time whilst acclimating to the time zone. We let them snack late afternoon to carry them through if they needed to. There’s plenty of food options on the pool deck in the afternoon or room service is free and 24/7. The late sitting had other advantages for us as the pool area emptied during the early sitting so we relaxed and watched funnel vision with the kids in a near empty pool, plus we got to do the water slides without queuing. It also meant there was no rush to get to dinner after our daytime activities. As it worked well the first time we stuck with the late sitting on our second cruise. We’ve also booked late sitting for our Sydney cruise although we live in Sydney, so the afternoon snacks will be a necessity.

Our youngest was 5 on our first cruise and we did late seating. Those cruises left from Florida so we got the kids acclimatised to eating at that time whilst acclimating to the time zone. We let them snack late afternoon to carry them through if they needed to. There’s plenty of food options on the pool deck in the afternoon or room service is free and 24/7. The late sitting had other advantages for us as the pool area emptied during the early sitting so we relaxed and watched funnel vision with the kids in a near empty pool, plus we got to do the water slides without queuing. It also meant there was no rush to get to dinner after our daytime activities. As it worked well the first time we stuck with the late sitting on our second cruise. We’ve also booked late sitting for our Sydney cruise although we live in Sydney, so the afternoon snacks will be a necessity.
Thanks, that gives me a lot of hope that maybe it will be ok.

Most of them have all booked out within a day except some f the ridiculous concierge prived cabins. Maybe they should move a second ship to australia new zealand if they can charge that much for the wonder and all sell.
Agreed that the prices are very high, but for those of us in Australia who would otherwise have to pay for flights to the other side of the world, plus accommodation etc, going from a local port is still a cheaper way of doing a Disney cruise. They might explain why they booked out so quickly.

The Disney Cruise website is back up, however if you want to pay in AUD I would suggest using Cruise Guru which is part of Qantas. They guarantee the price in AUD dollar at the time of booking, right up to final payment date: https://www.cruiseguru.com.au/
I booked through Dreams Unlimited on Wednesday, but decided to book my parents and did this via Cruise Guru yesterday morning, before everything shut down due to the hurricane. Good luck everyone.

If you go into your booking you have the option to change to main dining or be put in the wait list. If it doesn’t come through you can look into changing once you get on board.

So, it looks like despite all the concerns about itineraries, pricing, USD, and website, these cruises are selling like no tomorrow. Most every Aussie/NZ resident in this thread has booked one too?

Early looks, sure, but this bodes well for the future. For a return to the land down under annually - and also for giving other parts of Asia a try. Singapore and Japan, in particular.

If you go to the home page for your reservation on the DCL app and scroll down you’ll find it.
What was a little annoying is that one of the options is to set dietary requirements and the options were lactose free, low fat, vegetarian and vegan. My wife is gluten intolerant and that wasn’t there. I’m sure our waiting team will look after us though, once we tell them.

So, it looks like despite all the concerns about itineraries, pricing, USD, and website, these cruises are selling like no tomorrow. Most every Aussie/NZ resident in this thread has booked one too?

Early looks, sure, but this bodes well for the future. For a return to the land down under annually - and also for giving other parts of Asia a try. Singapore and Japan, in particular.
Aussies have been screaming for it for over a decade, so it was no surprise they would be popular.

I’m sure they will come back each summer I just wanted better itineraries so fingers crossed we can get some real cruises next time.

I totally got sucked into the hype and booked a Disney cruise out of Sydney for Jan ‘24, woo! I know it’s ridiculously priced, but hey. It’s Disney so that goes without saying, really!

I have a silly question that nobody probably knows the answer to… Will they be serving actual Disney food? Like proper Disney fries and Disney chicken tenders, or will we be getting Ingham frozen chips and Birds Eye nuggets from Woollies?

Aussies have been screaming for it for over a decade, so it was no surprise they would be popular.

I’m sure they will come back each summer I just wanted better itineraries so fingers crossed we can get some real cruises next time.
No I can't see any New Zealand cruises showing up. Not on the Disney site or others only the Aussie ones

I have a travel agent on it since yesterday. she rung again this morning to keep trying but it is now hours later and no call or email to see how she is getting on.

I totally got sucked into the hype and booked a Disney cruise out of Sydney for Jan ‘24, woo! I know it’s ridiculously priced, but hey. It’s Disney so that goes without saying, really!

I have a silly question that nobody probably knows the answer to… Will they be serving actual Disney food? Like proper Disney fries and Disney chicken tenders, or will we be getting Ingham frozen chips and Birds Eye nuggets from Woollies?
I can't see how anyone would know the answer to that. The food is a bit different on European cruises, though, so it might be different for Australian cruises, too.

Well it’s not like Disney food is much better than that anyway!!
But they do serve some quick service food like this up on the decks but in the restaurants it’s a bit different
Hopefully they will have some regional offerings along with the standard meals thru serve on most sailings

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!