Aulani TR - Sharks, Horses, a sub-scooter and Mickey!

For all the times we have used online check-in, Aulani does it right. We never went to the check-in desk. A CM gave us a brief tour of the lobby area and within 5-10 minutes, another CM approaches us with the keys to our room and our welcome packet. I don’t know; maybe you do have to be onsite to get any pixie dust but that was by far the easiest and fastest check-in we have ever experienced. Here are some pics of the lobby area…

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

(Just for you Joni)
028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

We have a Studio-Pool view room for the first half of this trip and then we will switch to a 1br-Standard View. We wanted the 1br for the second half of the trip in order to wash clothes. By doing this, we did not have to pack additional clothing and pay for the additional bag or for one that was over the allowed weight. We are given room 504 in the Wai’anae Tower (Where the red circle is on this map)

032.jpg

The room was very nice. Here are a few pics of the room…

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

Each room has a very nice robe to wear (These robes are available for purchase – no compensation from Disney for this promo spot)

039.jpg

Neither DW nor I drink coffee but this is for those that do

040.jpg

After we get settled in the room, we go back to Hwy 93 and head West for about 6 miles to the small town of Nanakuli. There is a Sak-n-Save grocery store there that we bought a few things to keep in the room. We found out later in the trip that there is one MUCH closer. As you leave Aulani on Ali’inui Drive, there is a condo complex across the road. If you turn off Ali’inui Drive into this complex, there is a small grocery store that you cannot see from the main road. It has the basics plus a deli. You can get pre-prepared sandwiches, soups and other food items or they can prepare something for you while you wait. The prices were very reasonable and the food was excellent. There is also a BBQ restaurant and a Mexican restaurant in the same area. It is within walking distance from Aulani and is a great alternative to eating at the resort for every meal.

We have been up for over 20 hours at this time. The Starlit Hui show is only on Monday and Thursday. We had thought we might do this tonight but no way. We are beat so it’s time to hit the hay. It was a very nice bed, not too hard, not too soft, and within minutes – snorrrrre

SO much to comment on!

I am always amazed what TSA picks up...and what they don't. But I'm glad the rod didn't set anything off. I have seen that latch popped out like that before, I don't actually think it's a big deal but I can see where it might freak one out.

The car situation sounds horrible. Huge time suck which is always frustrating. I've had my share of car drama in Hawaii so I really felt your pain. Interstate highways...I never thought about it to be honest but that's a riot!

Check in and the room looks lovely, I can't wait to see what your view looked like. I am assuming you ate? Either groceries or at one of the locations before you hit the hay. Long day but you are THERE and it looks gorgeous so far!

Living in Dallas I've known several guys who work maintenance for AA at DFW and obviously as the company has struggled, they've pared down the maintenance personnel to where each person is now having to be responsible for a ridiculous amount of items on each plane- there's no way they can get it all done in the 20minutes between deboarding and boarding. No wonder seats are coming loose and evidently emergency latches too.

I am always amazed what TSA picks up...and what they don't. But I'm glad the rod didn't set anything off.
Both of us! We arrived at our first flight extra early but I was really worried about something happening on the connecting flight where we didn't have much time.

I have seen that latch popped out like that before, I don't actually think it's a big deal but I can see where it might freak one out.
The flight attendant was so nonchalant about it. I guess she had seen it before as well.

The car situation sounds horrible. Huge time suck which is always frustrating. I've had my share of car drama in Hawaii so I really felt your pain.
No apologies from the car rental agent either. You would think they might check the tires when someone returns the vehicle?!?

Interstate highways...I never thought about it to be honest but that's a riot!
Maybe there is some top secret tunnel connecting Hawaii to the mainland that I don't know about because we did see this car so how did it get there??? :confused3
2012-09-04230352.jpg

Check in and the room looks lovely, I can't wait to see what your view looked like. I am assuming you ate? Either groceries or at one of the locations before you hit the hay. Long day but you are THERE and it looks gorgeous so far!
Room view pics are coming soon.

Living in Dallas I've known several guys who work maintenance for AA at DFW and obviously as the company has struggled, they've pared down the maintenance personnel to where each person is now having to be responsible for a ridiculous amount of items on each plane- there's no way they can get it all done in the 20minutes between deboarding and boarding. No wonder seats are coming loose and evidently emergency latches too.
Didn't they try to blame the moving seats on chewing gum stuck in the tracks so they could not secure them properly? Chewing gum....down there? C'mon folks. Even the State Department's excuses aren't that lame! :crazy2:

Tuesday – Sep 4th

Today we are going to see the USS Arizona and then later try out an underwater scuba-scooter. Before I get to that though, I forgot to mention which room we were in. The room number is 504 and here are a few picks from our balcony…

Back towards the lobby area
041Lobby_zps0313402e.jpg

Across the way to the Ewa Tower
042EwaTower_zps12470ebd.jpg

One of the kiddie areas
043KidArea_zpsffee01d8.jpg

Part of the Waikolohe Stream just over the kiddie area
044lazyriver_zpsf78bc37d.jpg

Rainbow Reef snorkel pool
045RainbowReef_zpsbbf408f4.jpg

More of Rainbow Reef with Mama’s Snack Stop & the Papalua Shave Ice stand
046ReefSnackIce_zps46decef0.jpg

The Waikolohe Pool
047poolview1_zpsf360dfaa.jpg

048poolview2_zps771ae725.jpg

049poolview3_zpsb58c8b1a.jpg

050poolview4_zps01261fa4.jpg

And if you go to the far end of the balcony, you get a pretty good view here as well
051ocean1_zps71c63c03.jpg

052ocean2_zpsa8f9483c.jpg

053ocean3_zps91b692f4.jpg

Bill! You started!! I'm soooooooooooooo happy!! :goodvibes

OMG- the plane, the plane. I read that to Pods, and we just laughed. I can't believe the plane is falling apart and they shrug it off like it's nothin...:scared: It makes me almost like United, which is our primary carrier out of NJ. Which is an airline I hate. But apparently not as much as I now hate AA.

That first night is very hard- we could not even comprehend what we were being told at the Car Rental desk. It is so painful, even without the flat tire. And even on Kauai. Sad, but true- and totally worth it, I can't wait to suffer through it again.

The CMs at Aulani were PHENOMONAL!!!! So many wonderful people there. Your pics are making me miss it terribly....

And hey! Thanks for the plug! Those places you posted look the SAME!! We'll have to do a post with both pics to compare....

Bill! You started!! I'm soooooooooooooo happy!! :goodvibes

OMG- the plane, the plane. I read that to Pods, and we just laughed. I can't believe the plane is falling apart and they shrug it off like it's nothin...:scared: It makes me almost like United, which is our primary carrier out of NJ. Which is an airline I hate. But apparently not as much as I now hate AA.

That first night is very hard- we could not even comprehend what we were being told at the Car Rental desk. It is so painful, even without the flat tire. And even on Kauai. Sad, but true- and totally worth it, I can't wait to suffer through it again.

The CMs at Aulani were PHENOMONAL!!!! So many wonderful people there. Your pics are making me miss it terribly....

And hey! Thanks for the plug! Those places you posted look the SAME!! We'll have to do a post with both pics to compare....

Thanks for following along. Glad you are here. I am looking forward to the rest of your TR. The flight for us was bad enough but even more so for you coming from NJ. I think when we return, we will probably stop for a day or two somewhere on the west coast to break up the trip. It was fine 30 years ago when we were in our 20's to fly 8 hours non-stop but now that I'm old, fat and decrepit... :eek:

Our flight to Oahu was GREAT- 10 1/2 hours flew by in United (really, this was a Continental plane, it was all updated) Economy Plus- we had our own tvs, hundreds of movies & games etc to choose from, lots of leg room. I would do that again no problem. It was the flight HOME in first class on United (old plane) with no foot rest, no personal tvs, etc via Chicago that stunk. And that was 8 hours. A new, comfy plane makes a HUGE difference!

Now back to our day. First, we need FOOD. Where shall we go? Well, the ‘Olelo Lounge! Why not start your day off in a bar?!?! Alas, the bar was closed :( but they do serve a continental breakfast in the morning when MOST people think it is too early to imbibe in adult beverages. Hey we’re still on Mississippi time and it’s already afternoon there but it was not to be.

The ‘Olelo lounge, for breakfast, has assorted Danish, croissants, cinnamon roll, muffins, bagels, fruit, cereal and yogurt parfait. They also have cappuccino, espresso, mocha as well as your regular breakfast beverages. We had croissants, muffins and the yogurt parfait with a bottled water and a Sprite. Total was $20.94.

Time to head out to the USS Arizona. The biggest gripe I have about Aulani is that the parking area is detached from the main building. You must either take the elevator in the Wai’anae Tower down to the ground level at the front of the resort or go out the front entrance and walk down the road to the garage. Either way, you walk outdoors (no covered breezeway) to the garage. Once in the garage, you can then take an elevator to the floor where you are parked. There are two parking areas but the one near the Ewa Tower is valet only. It would be nice if during the current construction at Aulani that they do something about this but I did not read in any of the updates that this was in the plans. Back to our visit to Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona.

As previously stated, the traffic on Oahu is terrible. Thanks to others on the DISboards, we have read to plan on taking extra time when driving anywhere. We also read here that you can get online and make reservations for your tour of the USS Arizona. We had 9:30am reservations and it was suggested you arrive an hour early to pick up your tickets. Mapquest trip planner said it would take 24 minutes to get there. Remember me talking about the traffic? This will give you an idea of what I was talking about. We left about 6:45am…
054Traffic_zps19f499f3.jpg

Yeah…bumper to bumper on the “Interstate” before 7:00am! It took us nearly 2 hours to go about 18 miles! We were supposed to be there at 8:30 to get our tickets and we arrived at the ticket counter just before 9:00am. We got the last two tickets for the 9:30 boat launch to the Arizona. Apparently they had given ours to someone else. Oh well. We made it and didn’t have to wait hours. We rented a couple of audio headsets that you can use for a walking tour and made our way over to the boat launch staging area. And with my luck, they were running behind about 30 minutes! Okay, we made our way through one of the two Gallery Exhibit buildings. The walking tour has numbered stops and you can listen to commentary at each stop through the rented audio headset. One of the two exhibit buildings covers the time before the U.S. entry into WWII and the other covers the attack on Pearl Harbor. I wish we would have had more time to go through both exhibits but we didn’t want to miss our boat launch. What little we viewed in the building covering the attack on Pearl Harbor was very somber, chilling and thought provoking. To me, the whole area was this way and I am not able to properly articulate the emotions this memorial brought forth.

Instead, I’ll just show pictures.

A couple of pics before we boarded the launch
070.jpg

USS Bowfin submarine
071.jpg

The view of the USS Arizona memorial from the boat launch with the battleship Missouri to the left
055_zpsde8f340b.jpg

The boat launch with the USN hospital ship Mercy in the background
056_zps2bfc0bbc.jpg

A closer view of the USN Mercy from the shuttle boat
057_zpsc72a16f4.jpg

USS Missouri – the “Big Mo”
058_zpsd8fce71e.jpg

(CONTINUED IN NEXT POST)

(CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST)

Entrance to the Memorial
059_zps894bb43d.jpg

Memorial plaques
060_zps4e2cd086.jpg

061.jpg

The USS Arizona
062.jpg

064.jpg

The location of other ships sank on December 7th
063.jpg

Inside the Memorial
065.jpg

066.jpg

067.jpg

069.jpg

(CONTINUED IN NEXT POST - AGAIN)

(CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST - AGAIN)

There were 1,177 crew members that lost their lives on the USS Arizona. It is the greatest loss of life on any U.S. warship in our history. Each of the 337 surviving USS Arizona crew members has the right to be interred with their shipmates. It is a private ceremony and is the only time (other than Thanksgiving, Christmas day & New Year’s day) that the Memorial is closed to the public. There is a separate memorial plaque that lists those survivors that have chosen the honor to return to the USS Arizona to join their shipmates for eternity
068.jpg

Here is a YouTube video called Eternal Peace that details this honor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgE2KiPd3xg

072.jpg

We all got a lot out of our Pearl Harbor day, too- it was very moving. We had a hard time getting there, too- but, that was because we got lost following our GPS- TWICE! :headache: At one point, there was a national security breach because of us- LOL. :rotfl: Very glad we all made it, though, it's not to be missed.

Great update Bill! I am really enjoying your trip so far (except for that AWFUL traffic!). :thumbsup2

We all got a lot out of our Pearl Harbor day, too- it was very moving. We had a hard time getting there, too- but, that was because we got lost following our GPS- TWICE! :headache: At one point, there was a national security breach because of us- LOL. :rotfl: Very glad we all made it, though, it's not to be missed.

Great update Bill! I am really enjoying your trip so far (except for that AWFUL traffic!). :thumbsup2
Maybe it's not just me with the bad luck with a GPS then? :confused3
National security breach?!?!? Oooohhhh....tell me more! :lmao:

How I managed to miss this I will never know! But I am here now and all caught up!!! Those fried oreos and twinkies remind me of last week at the lovely Mississippi State Fair! I think turkey tosses must be an Alabama thing...I here of those there a lot!

Love the pictures of Aulani! As a matter of fact this afternoon it prompted me to price out renting points and plane ticket prices!!

Pearl Harbor is one of the places I most desire to go. Keith and I both love history and that period is one of our favorites. I can only imagine the emotions that actually being there can bring up!

How I managed to miss this I will never know! But I am here now and all caught up!!! Those fried oreos and twinkies remind me of last week at the lovely Mississippi State Fair! I think turkey tosses must be an Alabama thing...I here of those there a lot!

Love the pictures of Aulani! As a matter of fact this afternoon it prompted me to price out renting points and plane ticket prices!!

Pearl Harbor is one of the places I most desire to go. Keith and I both love history and that period is one of our favorites. I can only imagine the emotions that actually being there can bring up![/B][/FONT][/COLOR]

Glad you "refound" this TR! Been reading yours and hope you are feeling better. Is your trip out of town this weekend to Homecoming? ;) We haven't been to the MS State Fair in years but I do remember gorging myself on corn dogs the last time right before we rode the roller coaster. It wasn't a very smart combination! :rolleyes2

Be prepared for sticker shock on the airfare to Hawaii! If we go back anytime soon, I think we'll split the trip up and stop over in California to break it up. That 8 hour flight from Dallas to Honolulu is LONGGGGGGG. Now if you really want sticker shock, price the same trip going 1st class! :eek:

Glad you "refound" this TR! Been reading yours and hope you are feeling better. Is your trip out of town this weekend to Homecoming? ;) We haven't been to the MS State Fair in years but I do remember gorging myself on corn dogs the last time right before we rode the roller coaster. It wasn't a very smart combination! :rolleyes2

Be prepared for sticker shock on the airfare to Hawaii! If we go back anytime soon, I think we'll split the trip up and stop over in California to break it up. That 8 hour flight from Dallas to Honolulu is LONGGGGGGG. Now if you really want sticker shock, price the same trip going 1st class! :eek:

Unfortunately no not to Hattiesburg. I hate missing Homecoming but I have a conference in Memphis to go to. Keith is planning on going. We intend on being at the last two home games and perhaps Memphis for that game. The State Fair is just okay to me. It was the first time I went in 3 years and I really went to take Madison and a friend. I avoided the corn dogs this time!!

Airline sticker shock is unreal!! Even Jackson to Orlando! :scared:

Hi Bill! :wave2:

I jumped in and started reading along because I'm planning a trip to Hawaii for next summer. I'm not a DVC owner so I don't know if I'll be able to do Aulani unless I can find a sucke--I mean, kind soul who will rent points, but the pictures make me want to try extra hard!

And you've got me incredibly paranoid about the traffic now! We're early risers and usually I can count on that to beat crowds, but it sounds like it won't work here. Does it clear up after rush hour?

Unfortunately no not to Hattiesburg. I hate missing Homecoming but I have a conference in Memphis to go to. Keith is planning on going. We intend on being at the last two home games and perhaps Memphis for that game. The State Fair is just okay to me. It was the first time I went in 3 years and I really went to take Madison and a friend. I avoided the corn dogs this time!!

Airline sticker shock is unreal!! Even Jackson to Orlando! :scared:
Heading the other way, huh? Have fun and be careful.
I can never avoid corn dogs. I grew up with my grandfather owning a traveling fair with rides and a midway so corn dogs are kinda in my blood. We even had a cotton candy machine at the house! My grandfather would shut down the fair for my sister and my birthdays so we were popular for a few days out of the year!

I don't understand the price of airfare to Orlando. It can vary from $220 to $350 round trip. You would think the range would be a bit narrower.

Hi Bill! :wave2:

I jumped in and started reading along because I'm planning a trip to Hawaii for next summer. I'm not a DVC owner so I don't know if I'll be able to do Aulani unless I can find a sucke--I mean, kind soul who will rent points, but the pictures make me want to try extra hard!

And you've got me incredibly paranoid about the traffic now! We're early risers and usually I can count on that to beat crowds, but it sounds like it won't work here. Does it clear up after rush hour?
You can find someone here on the DISboards to rent you enough points to stay at Aulani. It might a bit more difficult if you want to make reservations at the 11 month window because you will need Aulani points but at the 7 month window, you can use any DVC points. There are also several DVC resellers and other agents that rent out points for reservations as well.

The traffic is bad during normal rush hour except that the rush hour is about two hours long. It's a bit of a pain but we worked around it. I wouldn't let it stop me from making the trip. You could actually stay at Aulani the entire trip and not be disappointed. Roy's is within walking distance for a nice meal and the Paradise Cove luau is right down the street as well so you're not totally confined to staying at Aulani. Glad you've joined the TR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter