Aulani TR - Sharks, Horses, a sub-scooter and Mickey!

Hi :wave: Joining in. I can't wait to hear all about this one.
Thanks Grumpy's Wife. It was an adventure!

Hi Bill!! :goodvibes Can't wait to read all about it!!:banana:
Hi podsnel! Love following your TR too. I promise to start soon.

:scared1: I wondered when you were going to give us devoted fans an Aulani TR. Luckily I found this pre TR from another posting....can't wait to hear all about the trip. I will be wearing my pin as I read. I love it!!
Hiya Lu! Glad you liked the pin. Life has been crazy and this is the first weekend we've been home or didn't have company since mid-August. Maybe I can finally get started on the TR!

Maybe real life has calmed down enough for me to FINALLY start this TR! Between other trips, funerals, surgery and oh yeah... work... life has been one fast paced adventure the past several weeks! This is the first weekend we have been home or did not have company since mid-August. Do you feel sorry for me yet? :sad1:

It’s not an excuse but here is one of the reasons why the long delay in beginning the TR. Last week we drove to north Alabama to visit our son and his wife. While we were there, we went to a festival in the small town of Athens, AL. This was their first annual “Grease” festival. Now with a name like Athens, one would think a “Grease” festival would be a “Greece” festival with gyros and hummus. Nope. Not in the deep South. This was a “Grease” festival as in Southern fried!! :thumbsup2

We are talking fried oreo, snickers bar, ice cream, funnel cake, stuffed jalapeno and the Επισημάνετε (Greek for highlight or piece de resistance) was a fried twinkie! I’m here to tell you that a fried twinkie is heaven sent! The sponge cake gets real soft and the creamy filling becomes a warm liquid. Couple that with a nice thin crispy batter and mmm, mmm, mmm!! :cool1:

A few pics from this foray into epicurious delight (BTW, the derivative of the word epicurious is from the GREEK philosopher Epicurus so it seemed apropos! A TR that is hopefully entertaining and informative! Aint it grand? :rotfl2:)

Where we were –

_DSC2611.jpg

_DSC2605.jpg

_DSC2614.jpg

Pericles – The first citizen of Athens (the other one)
_DSC2631.jpg

Of course in the South, we never forget our history
_DSC2602.jpg

Then there’s the food –
_DSC2608.jpg

_DSC2632.jpg

_DSC2577.jpg

_DSC2578.jpg

Fried Oreo
_DSC2585.jpg

And the ultimate - a fried Twinkie!
_DSC2600.jpg

Don't forget the entertainment...
_DSC2609.jpg

_DSC2610.jpg

_DSC2618.jpg

_DSC2607.jpg

A flash mob in the South?!?! They were dancing to "Twist and Shout". DW would not let me show them how it's REALLY done
_DSC2590.jpg

_DSC2592.jpg

_DSC2589.jpg

_DSC2593.jpg

Of course you can't have a festival this time of the year without politics
_DSC2619.jpg

DW and DDiL
_DSC2620.jpg

DDiL and DS (He loves to have his picture taken)
_DSC2625.jpg

The four legged friends in attendance
_DSC2606.jpg

_DSC2613.jpg

Local Southern Belles or should they be Southern Grecian Belles?
_DSC2597.jpg

_DSC2659.jpg

_DSC2666.jpg

_DSC2604.jpg

And the fairest of them all
_DSC2580.jpg

What's a festival without a contest? The frozen turkey toss...
_DSC2641.jpg

_DSC2665.jpg

_DSC2644.jpg

_DSC2668.jpg

_DSC2647.jpg

No points for style so whatever works
_DSC2651.jpg

_DSC2660.jpg

Love the facial expression here
_DSC2662.jpg

And the winner
_DSC2664.jpg

For all you that have had chilly weather this past week or even snow, it's still nice and warm down here...even in NORTH Alabama! The crepe myrtles are still a bloomin' and the bumble bees are still a buzzin'
_DSC2629.jpg

After a nice day, lots of food and a sugar high, it's time to head home
_DSC2671.jpg

But not before we stop at a roadside market and get a pumpkin or two
_DSC2672.jpg

Okay peeps, if anyone is still following after I've taken so long to begin this TR, I promise to start the REAL TR tomorrow.

Toga! Toga! Toga! :rotfl:

Looks like a fun day- I am jealous of the shorts and crepe myrtles- we are going to the Yankees game tonight, and it is miserable and cccccold here- :scared:

So....didn't I hear somewhere you went to Hawaii last month???? popcorn::

Looks like a fun day- I am jealous of the shorts and crepe myrtles- we are going to the Yankees game tonight, and it is miserable and cccccold here- :scared:

Wait, it's supposed to be 70 here today. I'll take it after miserable and cold the last couple days!

So, Bill I don't know how it happened, but I totally missed your Grease Fest update. Now I am at work and so bummed that I can't see my very first fried oreo. I am pretty sure they do fried twinkies at the Delaware State Fair but I have been afraid to even look at one. Because, seriously, can't you gain weight just by looking at one? That's what I heard. :rotfl2:

Be back later tonight for a virtual view of your grease-tastic treats.

So....didn't I hear somewhere you went to Hawaii last month???? popcorn::
Speaking of togas...my frat in college had an annual Toga Party a few weeks prior to spring semester finals and normally everyone wore bedsheets (think the scene from the movie Animal House). I was telling my parents about the Toga Party, well parts of it, and my mother said I needed to wear something besides a bedsheet so she proceeded to make me a Roman soldier costume. It was similar to the one on the left...
RomanSoldier.jpg

It had the pleated bottom and the leather tunic of the man on the left complete with sword and the footwear of the man on the right but no head gear! I would have worn it to the festival but over the years it has shrunk considerably in my closet due to the high humidity we have down here! :p

Wait, it's supposed to be 70 here today. I'll take it after miserable and cold the last couple days!

So, Bill I don't know how it happened, but I totally missed your Grease Fest update. Now I am at work and so bummed that I can't see my very first fried oreo. I am pretty sure they do fried twinkies at the Delaware State Fair but I have been afraid to even look at one. Because, seriously, can't you gain weight just by looking at one? That's what I heard. :rotfl2:

Be back later tonight for a virtual view of your grease-tastic treats.
Catch up MEK...the real TR is about to begin!

What a fun festival. I would so love to try most of what you showed us.
It was a fun time had by one and all. Now...which things would you want to try? :lmao:

Okay enough about why the TR was delayed. You’re here for a TR and a TR ye shall receive!

Some of this will be repeating the original post so bear with me but since it has been a while, please indulge me.

DW and I were married in August, 1982. We had the chance to travel to Hawaii for our honeymoon and jumped at it since we figured (figured is for you Southerners, for others-guessed, surmised, thought) we would not return for a while. Little did we know how intuitive we would be because it took 30 years to return! Our honeymoon was spent on the island of Kauai.

Here are a few pics from that trip...
015-KilaueaBeachlighthouse.jpg

016-WailuaFalls.jpg

017-LumahaiBeachSouthPacific.jpg

As you can see, the quality of pictures has changed considerably in 30 years. For MUCH better pics and a great TR about Kauai, see podsnel’s TR here... http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2986038

With Disney opening a new DVC resort on Oahu in August, 2011, it was a no-brainer for us to return to Hawaii for our 30th anniversary using our DVC membership and stay at Aulani Resort & Spa!

Monday – Sep 3rd

We left our house on Labor Day morning about 7 a.m. and we weren’t 10 minutes from the house when DW realized she had left her phone charger. Whew! I’m glad we weren’t further down the road so we turned around and made a beeline back to the house, got the charger and back on the road. Crisis averted, right? Au contraire mon ami…more on that later.

On our honeymoon to Hawaii 30 years ago, we almost missed our connecting flight from Jackson, MS to Dallas, TX. It’s a long story but DW was on the plane while I was dealing with an overzealous airport rent-a-cop. She had told Delta airlines what was happening as she boarded, that this was our honeymoon and they took pity on us and actually held the plane! When I finally finished with the Kojak-wanna-be, I did my best O J Simpson imitation (the airline commercial, not that other “glove don’t fit” thing) and took off running through the terminal to the Delta ticket counter. They took me behind the counter, through the baggage area, to the plane, shut the door to the plane and before I could sit down, we were moving towards the runway! Do you think that kind of thing would happen today? NOT!!

Fortunately, things went a lot smoother this time around. I kept looking over my shoulder for Boss Hogg to show up again but I guess he has since retired.

We arrived at the airport in Jackson, MS in plenty of time. It has been a while since we have flown and with the added security measures and with the horror stories we have heard about TSA, we were a bit apprehensive about going through security. DW has a titanium rod in her back and I could just see her setting off the metal detector and some TSA agent wanting to do a strip search, me getting in a fight because the TSA agent got too frisky and we have to scrap the whole trip because I was in some federal prison. :eek: With my luck, it could happen! We were also worried about the weight limits on our luggage. One ended up 42 lbs and the other was 48 lbs. Whew, but so much for any heavy souvenirs for the return trip! Okay, on to TSA.

I was waiting for the flashing red lights and the electrified net to fall on our heads but there were no problems at all, which in itself is kind of scary. A metal rod about the size of a rifle barrel did not set off the detectors in Jackson, MS, Dallas, TX or Honolulu, HI. Hmmmm. Anyway, we left the Jackson airport without any problems or delays and arrived in Dallas. We had just 1 hour & 10 minutes to catch our flight from Dallas to Honolulu and not having been to the Dallas airport in about 28 years, we were wondering how this would work. Again, no problems. Dallas airport has a tram that will take you from one terminal to the next in no time at all. We are sitting outside our boarding gate and have enough time to get a bite to eat. It is then that DW realized she had left her phone charger in the vehicle! You remember, the one we turned around to go back home and retrieve! :rolleyes2 Sighhh. Nothing to do but pay airport prices to buy one in Dallas. Sighhhh again. :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

Okay, we board our plane in Dallas and nothing. We can’t leave. It seems that a latch in the cockpit isn’t working properly so we have to wait for maintenance to go get one. This is American Airlines...you know the airline that recently had to cancel numerous flights because the passenger seats came loose in flight and were moving around the plane! Back to our trip - I think they had to run down to the local hardware store to get it because we sat there for 35 minutes! I’m not sure, but I think I saw a flight attendant pull a hairpin out of her beehive and give it to the pilot to fix the problem. :crazy2:

Sooooooo…we finally take off…ascend up to our cruising altitude of 36,000 ft with a ground speed of 549mph and an outside temp of 56 degrees below zero!! Now you know why it is so cold on those long flights! We were seated in the row just behind the emergency exit and somewhere over California, I noticed this
018.jpg

(Continued in next post...)

That is the Emergency Exit latch and it has come loose from the door!!!

I can just see it popping that door open and I get sucked out of the plane for a nice little side trip down nearly 7 miles! I point it out to the flight attendant and she pushes on it…it pops back out…she shrugs her shoulders and moves on! YIKES!! :scared: Just let me say, it’s an 8 hour flight from Dallas to Honolulu and there was no sleeping for me!! I watched that latch like a hawk….like there would be anything I could do if it released the door.

Other than that, the flight was smooth. There were two movies to watch – “What to expect when you’re expecting” & “Moneyball”. Both were okay but they definitely pushed their PG-13 rating. After both movies were over, we still had nearly 3 hours of flight time. DW has an iPad so we were playing games on it to pass the time. The rest of the trip was uneventful and we started to make our descent to Honolulu. Not a bad view...
019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

We arrived okay and had no problems collecting our luggage. There are only a few car rental places that have an actual desk inside Honolulu airport. Most of them are located away from the terminal and you have to get a shuttle bus to their location. We chose Dollar Rental because they had a desk in the airport but lo and behold, no one was at the desk when we arrived! They close at 5:00pm and remember that flight delay in Dallas? We were supposed to arrive at 4:15pm and it was now 5:05! My luck has not changed! :sad: There was a courtesy phone at the closed counter so I called them and they said to board the shuttle bus outside the terminal to their lot offsite. WHAT?!?! :furious: Geez Louise. We could have saved a few dollars by selecting another rental agency but didn’t because their desk was offsite. So we schlep our luggage onto the shuttle bus and take a ride to the Dollar Car rental lot….offsite!

We got to their location and had to wait for the slowest agent in the world to take care of the person in front of us that could not decide on what to rent. C’mon people, don’t most folks have this decided beforehand? Sighhh.

Finally, it was our turn and the agent tried to get us to rent a convertible. Nope, you see this gray in my hair? It does not say convertible. It says give me the SUV I had reserved. I make fun of those old, fat, gray haired men trying to recapture their youthful glory days in a convertible. :rotfl2: After successfully convincing him I was not the convertible type, he proceeded to get me to sign the 6 page, Philadelphia-lawyer inspired documents that I’m not sure, but I think included a lien on my future net earnings should I get the car dirty! And BTW, when you reserve a vehicle online and get your price, it does not include a GPS rental in the total so be prepared for that extra charge. Once all that entertaining stuff was complete, I was given my GPS that I had reserved – a Garmin! :faint: For those of you that have read my previous TR’s, you will know that I have a love/hate relationship with Garmin GPS. Garmin loves to get me lost and I hate him/her with a passion!

Oh well. We’re done now so I have to take our luggage about 100 yards to where the mid-size SUV is located. For a 6’3” person, a Ford Escape is not mid-sized! I loaded all of our HEAVY luggage, got squared away, backed out and started to pull off and….and….we have a flat! C’mon Disney, where’s this pixie dust I keep hearing others talk about? Does it only work onsite at a Disney resort or theme park? :rolleyes2 So I trudge back over to the office, go through all that paperwork again, get the keys to another mid-size (auto vernacular for anyone under 5’ 5”!), trudge back to the new vehicle, check the tires 1st, unload the HEAVY luggage from one vehicle, load the HEAVY luggage into the other vehicle and away we go to Aulani!

:rotfl: The latch photo was laugh-out-loud funny.....but only as long as it stayed latched, right? WTH??!!?? This TR is staring out great by the way.

Love the "Grease Fest"...I would like a fried zinger.

:rotfl: The latch photo was laugh-out-loud funny.....but only as long as it stayed latched, right? WTH??!!?? This TR is staring out great by the way.

Love the "Grease Fest"...I would like a fried zinger.

Thanks Lu. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was still following! Hope to see a TR from you upcoming trip real soon...(hint, hint, hint).

Some would say driving on the island of Oahu is an adventure. Driving with Garmin on Oahu is an exercise in futility, especially since the GPS was giving directions in kilometers instead of miles! Because of my past experiences with Garmin and because I am a CMDVP (Certified Master Disney Vacation Planner-sounds good, doesn’t it?), I print out driving directions using MapQuest and directions from the destination’s website to take with me just in case. Getting to Aulani, Garmin had me taking one route, MapQuest another and Disney’s Aulani website directions another. Also, on Hawaii, they have an Interstate highway system. :confused: I have yet to figure out what other State you can drive to on these Interstate highways. There are H1, H2 & H3 Interstate highways. The traffic during morning commute (which starts sometime before 6:00am) is bumper to bumper for 2 hours. The Interstate highways will suddenly end and become a two lane road. The signage will have you cutting across 4 lanes of traffic to exit. Without giving you all the bad directions various instructions suggested, here is the correct one….leave Honolulu airport on H1 Interstate Highway heading west. H1 West turns into Hwy 93 or Farrington Hwy. Take the Ko Olina exit. You will see the Aulani towers on your left between the time H1 West ends and the Ko Olina exit. The exit ramp crosses over Hwy 93 heading South. This is Ali’inui Drive. Go past the guard/information shack, cross the railroad track. The road curves to the left. Paradise Cove is right here. You pass J W Marriott, go thru an intersection and Aulani is immediately on your right. Now how hard is that? I would have given you the exact mileage traveled from point A to point B but since Garmin was reading out kilometers….. :furious:

Okay, we are FINALLY at Aulani. Just like all deluxe Disney resorts, the CM’s are top notch and welcome you with a smile. The entrance is very similar to that at Wilderness Lodge. There is a large porte-cochere (fancy word for a covered driveway entrance) and the CM directs you where to stop. He asked if we had used online check-in. We had and gave him our name. You are then given a cup of pineapple-infused water and leis...

022.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter