Aulani Snorkeling Policy

TeamRiley

Mouseketeer
What is the policy on snorkeling at Aulani if you have your own gear?

Is there a time frame that has to be kept? or certain places you can or cannot go?

Thanks

@TeamRiley Where are you looking to snorkel? The lagoon is a public beach so there's no restriction there. You can use your own gear at Rainbow Reef. Its pay to play and if you have your own gear, you might be underwhelmed by it.

The only part that Disney owns is their Rainbow Reef snorkeling pool. The ocean is public domain and Disney has no say in what you do there.

We snorkel with our own gear in the lagoon every time we’re there. The savings from not having to rent adds up, but it’s a mild inconvenience to pack the mask, fins and snorkel.

I’m not sure if this is part of what the OP is asking, but you can’t use the Rainbow Reef gear in the lagoon. I also thought I remembered you could NOT use your own gear in RR, but I could be wrong; after snorkeling around the islands, even the kids were underwhelmed (not that’s it’s not nice, it’s just very small compared to the open ocean obviously).

I’m not sure if this is part of what the OP is asking, but you can’t use the Rainbow Reef gear in the lagoon. I also thought I remembered you could NOT use your own gear in RR, but I could be wrong; after snorkeling around the islands, even the kids were underwhelmed (not that’s it’s not nice, it’s just very small compared to the open ocean obviously).
No problem in using your own gear in RR. Considering the times it would be weird if they didn’t let you.
And disagree about RR being underwhelming. Though it is small, for us it was actually a spectacular, fun snorkeling experience. The water is crystal clear, and the diversity and sheer amount of colorful, diverse fish is super impressive. There are so many fish some actually brush up against you. Kind of gross, but kind of cool too. We normally just snorkel in the Aulani lagoon. It’s convenient but just ok, and depending upon the tide it can get kind of murky. Not so with RR!

I was skeptical about snorkeling in rainbow reef, but it was actually nice, except you have to wear a vest and can NOT dive under water and yes you can use your own gear. I would buy the multiday pass as the cost for one time seems expensive, but during fish feeding it is cool. Snorkeling on the beach is boring as it is sand bottom and even near the rocks it is not that good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter