Aulani/Hawaii Questions

Thought I'd hijack this thread instead of starting a new one.

What is the snorkeling like at the Ko Olina lagoons?

You can get a non-DVC wristband with your room key. In my opinion, they're more comfortable than the DVC bands.

In my backpack on my lounge chair. Nobody is going to rob you.

Room key.

Waikiki is the worst part about Hawaii. There's so much to do and see around Oahu that I think it would be a huge waste to not rent a car and visit places other than the giant tourist trap that looks an awful lot like Miami.

If this is a "once in a lifetime" trip, I would err on the side of "see it all." You can relax any place, including places that are much closer and cheaper. Hawaii is the only place to experience Hawaii.
We have had our bag stolen at Aulani - so please be careful. Lost a phone and a pair of prescription eye glasses. We now only bring down one phone that we keep with us in a water proof carrier.

Over the years we have been to Hawaii twice and probably will not be going back. If you live in the eastern half of the USA, it takes a LONG time to get there (or return) and the huge time difference take awhile to overcome. While the scenery is nice, there are lots of other beaches/ocean views on either coast that we like just as much and doesn't take nearly as long to get there.

What you like to do will determine the areas/excursions/place you go. Some are more touristy places that may not appeal to everyone. Many of the seaside roads are narrow with lots of curves and limited visibility. People who live there seem to want to zoom along even when you can't see more then a few hundred yards in front of you. We didn't enjoy driving on those types of roads and found other things to do.

DH and I are heading to Aulani in just over two weeks, a bucket list trip. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime trip. I have read other first time posts but have a few additional questions. We are planning split stay: 4 nights Aulani, 2 nights Kauai, 2 nights Maui and back to Aulani for 3 nights.

Aulani
At WDW you have a Magic Band that gives you access to the parks, room, etc. and that is all you need. At Aulani you have to show DVC membership for wrist band each day. Where do you put items like your phone while at the pool? How do you charge meals to room?
Best way to venture into Waikiki for a day without a car?
Has anyone done the circle tour excursion? Would you recommend it? (torn between wanting to see it all and having relaxing vacay)

Kauai - staying in Lihue
Want to do air tour of island.
Any other suggestions?

Maui - staying in Ka’anapali
So lost with this leg. originally thought of Road to Hana tour but it’s a long day. Has anyone done the Half Day to Hana tour? Recommendations?

Thanks for your thoughts.
We honeymooned at Aulani in March. I used my WDW Magic Band for everything. Room entry, parking lot, merchandise purchases, pay for meals. Not one time did it not work for me although not "officially" rolled out (whatever that means). We showed our DVC card the first day to get our pool wrist bands, but after that we didn't have to again- they knew we were DVC after the first day.

We kept our phones and stuff in bags on our lounge chairs- but they do have poolside cubbies near the lazy river entrance if you need that as well.

We had a car, but we did uber into Waikiki once. I think it was about $45 one way.

In Maui we stayed at the Westin Ka'anapali. We didn't do Road to Hana because of the time- but we found that we had enough to do in Lahaina to fill our 4 days there- including the best luau and Mama's Fish House.

We honeymooned at Aulani in March. I used my WDW Magic Band for everything. Room entry, parking lot, merchandise purchases, pay for meals. Not one time did it not work for me although not "officially" rolled out (whatever that means). We showed our DVC card the first day to get our pool wrist bands, but after that we didn't have to again- they knew we were DVC after the first day.
While this *should* work, occasionally a cast member will look at you like you have six heads.

My thoughts….like others say, hopping eats up time and Maui is large (relatively). With 11 nights, I’d do 4/5 Oahu, 4/5 Maui, and 2/3 Kauai. If you can do air tours of Kauai AND Maui, do it! Don’t forget airplanes not just helicopters—much more affordable. I highly recommend Fly Maui—they can do the Jeep to Hana/fly you back tour also. I’d just say pick Haleakala OR Hana—don’t try to do both. Save some time for the awesome snorkeling—Ulua Beach was a fave of ours (and Hanauma Bay on Oahu). Kauai is crazy beautiful but lodging is high—that’s why I say fewer days there. I’d recommend the “Revealed” series of books—get one from each island and really decide what you want to see before you pick which days where.

You do not need to waste a day changing islands, leave early, do not get any flight between 11 and 4. We will do an 8am flight, no lines, no waiting zip on thru. And for the record we love Waikiki. The Moana Beach bar is our favorite spot in Hawaii.

I found the Aulani lagoon to have poor visibility and sparse sea life. Probably why they made their own artificial reef on the hotel grounds.

For Maui I would suggest the Haleakala Sunrise. It was one of the highlights of our trip...truly amazing! Pictures don't do it justice.
1662762129655.png

Snorkeling at Aulani is around the rocks on the left side of the lagoon. For the most part, I would say it’s ok, not great. You can see different colored fish, of different sizes, and small schools of fish as well. Because the snorkeling area isn’t particularly large, you don’t get the feeling of it being a colorful underwater wonderland, but it’s still pretty cool and frankly we love it. There are way better snorkeling spots in Oahu, but this spot is so convenient and you see enough that we didn’t feel the need to snorkel anywhere else. We’d bring our gear every day when we went to the beach. During periods of high surf, though, which aren‘t that frequent, the sand gets stirred up and you can’t see anything. No doubt that’s true elsewhere too.

There is, of course, the paid aquarium like area right by the Aulani pool, Rainbow Reef. This is a fun experience as well, but for us it was a one and done kinda thing. It’s pretty small and so crammed full of fish that they brush up against you frequently. My wife and I got kinda grossed out.

Last edited:
We have had our bag stolen at Aulani - so please be careful. Lost a phone and a pair of prescription eye glasses. We now only bring down one phone that we keep with us in a water proof carrier.
Where was the bag stolen? We’ve always felt totally safe leaving some of our stuff on our chaises either by the pool or at the beach. Have never heard of this happening.

Note though that Haleakala Sunrise requires a permit. Permits sell out in seconds.

Sunset does NOT require a permit.

You'd be better off getting responses if you start a new thread

Two recommendations for Maui. First, take a snorkeling tour of Molokini Crater. The amount and diversity of fish is amazing. Plus, you can select a tour option that will also take you to swim with sea turtles. Second, the Flying Hawaiian zipline tour. It includes some of the longest ziplines in North America. And since you are up in the mountains, you literally can view the entire island as you whiz by. Its a ton of fun

DH and I are heading to Aulani in just over two weeks, a bucket list trip. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime trip. I have read other first time posts but have a few additional questions. We are planning split stay: 4 nights Aulani, 2 nights Kauai, 2 nights Maui and back to Aulani for 3 nights.

Aulani
At WDW you have a Magic Band that gives you access to the parks, room, etc. and that is all you need. At Aulani you have to show DVC membership for wrist band each day. Where do you put items like your phone while at the pool? How do you charge meals to room?
Has anyone done the circle tour excursion? Would you recommend it? (torn between wanting to see it all and having relaxing vacay)

Kauai - staying in Lihue
Any other suggestions?

So lost with this leg. originally thought of Road to Hana tour but it’s a long day. Has anyone done the Half Day to Hana tour? Recommendations?

Aloha,
No magic bands just wrist bands. Room key and your name will get you your wristbands daily at the towel kiosk. Personal items would be kept with your belongings on your chair but if you worry about that, maybe take a waterproof bag or case with you when you go In the pool. To charge things to room, just use your room key at the restaurants/shave ice and you’ll need to know your pin #, which I believe you create upon check in (need to confirm that). Best way to Waikiki, if no rental car, prolly Uber. And while there if you want the best way to see sights, do the trolley tour where they take you to spots. Check which line best suits you. Make sure to check out the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet while on Oahu. Uber again would prolly be your best option if no Rental Car.
Kauai, air tour is best way to view the Na Pali Coast line UNLESS you do a boat tour which is awesome! Be sure to look at the Island of Ni’ihau while in the air. Kauai is a sugar cane plantation island so enjoy the slow and laid back lifestyle! Up north (Poipu) and east (Kapa’a) it’s more touristy. 2 days there is enough lol.
Maui, I’m more familiar with Kihei compared to Ka’anapali but I’m sure the water is better in Ka’anapali being on the west side (more sun, less wind, hotter). Road to Hana…. It’s a long one and I’m sure it’s longer with all the tourists making there way out there, but it’s a once in a lifetime stuff so you probably want to do this! Don’t forget about visiting Haleakala National park! Choose either sunrise or sunset. That’s a must do in Maui! Also, may want to check out Kula (upcountry) while going up there. I DO NOT recommend both Hana and Haleakala on the same day lol. It’s just long long long but completely up to you! You can relax back at Aulani! Enjoy! Also, make sure to check out Ululani’s Shave Ice! Probably the best spot in the State! Enjoy!

Where was the bag stolen? We’ve always felt totally safe leaving some of our stuff on our chaises either by the pool or at the beach. Have never heard of this happening.
Sorry to hear this but always be safe! Bringing the phone in the water is best to capture those moments or at least have a waterproof case/bag.

DH and I are back from Aulani. Your responses were greatly appreciated. After reading posts, we decided to stay on Oahu for the full time making Waikiki our base for the mid section. One thing we realized was that making this a once-in-a-lifetime trip and trying to see it all was too much. There was more than enough to do on Oahu for the time we were there.

Here are some of our highlights:
  • the beach at Aulani, including snorkeling at the rock area
  • renting a car and travelling across H3 and up the east coast to north shore stopping at various spots along the way
  • sunset cruise
  • while in Waikiki: Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, bus trip to Polynesian Cultural Centre
Our next trip will include stays on Maui and Kauai, and maybe even The Big Island - each stay definitely longer than two nights 😀

Aulani

Kauai - staying in Lihue
Any other suggestions?

While in Maui I would recommend going to the Old Lahaina Luau. It was amazing and I feel the best luau I have been too. I would also recommend the Haleakala Downhill Bike Ride. It does start a little early, but my Wife and I really enjoyed it. One last recommendation is Honokalani Beach. It a Black Sand Beach and is worth the trip, you could combine this with half day road to Hana.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter