August 19th, 2023 - 7-Night Norwegian Fjords Cruise from Southampton (Amsterdam, Skjolden, Nordfjordeid, Sandnes)

I found it..! Normally we'd ask you to post on the thread for the ship as well, but we're good since I saw it! I hope you have a lovely sailing! :)

I found it..! Normally we'd ask you to post on the thread for the ship as well, but we're good since I saw it! I hope you have a lovely sailing! :)

We just booked this , and other than getting murdered on airfare super excited!

Curious of anyone’s thoughts on the port changes ? Notably Rotterdam- presumably the Amsterdam excursions are all still applicable since I believe it’s a 1 hour drive

Finally , anyone staying in London and what port transfers are you lining up? These are pricey as well it seems

Curious of anyone’s thoughts on the port changes ? Notably Rotterdam- presumably the Amsterdam excursions are all still applicable since I believe it’s a 1 hour drive

Finally , anyone staying in London and what port transfers are you lining up? These are pricey as well it seems
I'm actually happy with the port changes. Port fees decreased by $181 for us (4 'adults') and we're in both ports longer than the previous ports. Amsterdam was only going to be 6 hrs, so happy to have longer in Rotterdam. We haven't been to any of these places before, so it doesn't really matter to us--its all new.

We're still waiting to buy airfare...I have PIF date in my head, so if it doesn't decrease by then, we may cancel the cruise.

I did email DCL to ask for earliest departure flight times and cost of DCL transfers. Earliest recommended flight
on 8/26 is 2:15pm, transport is $75/person/each way.

I'm actually happy with the port changes. Port fees decreased by $181 for us (4 'adults') and we're in both ports longer than the previous ports. Amsterdam was only going to be 6 hrs, so happy to have longer in Rotterdam. We haven't been to any of these places before, so it doesn't really matter to us--its all new.

We're still waiting to buy airfare...I have PIF date in my head, so if it doesn't decrease by then, we may cancel the cruise.

I did email DCL to ask for earliest departure flight times and cost of DCL transfers. Earliest recommended flight
on 8/26 is 2:15pm, transport is $75/person/each way.

Thanks for all of that info , I’m glad I passed over the 1pm departure for 4pm (Heathrow to Newark). The last thing anyone wants to worry about is missing flight home

So you can definitely get to Amsterdam from Rotterdam fairly easily - if not doing ship tours its an hour on the train each way so, given the extra port time as mlayton14 mentions, you could get the same or a bit more time in Amsterdam.

As a brit however (hence easy to travel to Amsterdam for a short trip whenever) we will almost certainly not bother going to Amsterdam but do something else nearby. From an initial look Rotterdam doesn't seem to have loads on offer in the city, but the Delft museum (in Delft!) is a short train ride away in one direction and I also found https://www.kinderdijk.com/ which might be interesting.

I'm less happy about the Mekjarvek change - from what I can work out its basically literally a port up the road from Stavanger with nothing really there, looks like it mainly is there for non cruise usage. I've been to Stavanger a couple of times so we were probably going to just have a wander around Sandness but I don't think that will be an option now.

Regarding transfers you might want to look into the train - you can get the train from London to Southampton in just over an hour from Waterloo, then a short taxi to the port. Don't look at tickets for this until ~12 weeks out as that is when advanced fares go on sale (you can book now but pay the open price).

Andrew

So you can definitely get to Amsterdam from Rotterdam fairly easily - if not doing ship tours its an hour on the train each way so, given the extra port time as mlayton14 mentions, you could get the same or a bit more time in Amsterdam.

As a brit however (hence easy to travel to Amsterdam for a short trip whenever) we will almost certainly not bother going to Amsterdam but do something else nearby. From an initial look Rotterdam doesn't seem to have loads on offer in the city, but the Delft museum (in Delft!) is a short train ride away in one direction and I also found https://www.kinderdijk.com/ which might be interesting.

I'm less happy about the Mekjarvek change - from what I can work out its basically literally a port up the road from Stavanger with nothing really there, looks like it mainly is there for non cruise usage. I've been to Stavanger a couple of times so we were probably going to just have a wander around Sandness but I don't think that will be an option now.

Regarding transfers you might want to look into the train - you can get the train from London to Southampton in just over an hour from Waterloo, then a short taxi to the port. Don't look at tickets for this until ~12 weeks out as that is when advanced fares go on sale (you can book now but pay the open price).

Andrew

Yes the new stavangar disembark port I’m guessing isn’t anything to behold for sure - some old videos show the magic disembarking right at stavangar - guessing the dream is too big?

Did some more digging. Although not shown on the list of cruises in port the site also has a map for every day with planned moorings - in short there is another bigger cruise ship in Stavamger that day: the AIDAnova. Max capacity 6554 pax, so Stavanger might be busy!!

Did some more digging. Although not shown on the list of cruises in port the site also has a map for every day with planned moorings - in short there is another bigger cruise ship in Stavamger that day: the AIDAnova. Max capacity 6554 pax, so Stavanger might be busy!!

Well that sucks

Finally bought airfare last night. I've been watching prices since the Fall, economy with a checked bag ranged from $1000-$1200+, and it was in the $1200 range yesterday morning, checked last night and it dropped to $815. British Airways BOS to LHR.

So if you're still looking for airfare...take a look now!

Joining the group! We just PIF—a little early to get it out of the way—and my husband, son (8), and I are very excited!

We purchased flights some months ago, paid about $1100 each from JFK so you definitely timed it right, Geomom!

We will stay in London from Wednesday through Saturday AM and take the train from Waterloo. We’ve been to London many times and my husband has been to Rotterdam quite a bit for work. We’ve never been to Norway, though, and have a lot to learn! I’m looking forward to seeing Port Adventures, researching, etc!

Welcome to the group @jillinastoria !

I've been making plans all week now that I finally have airfare. We plan to use National Express bus to get from Heathrow to Southampton on 8/17. Spending 2 nights at the Moxy Southampton (2 rooms, AAA rate was 370GBP). Plan to walk from the bus station, less than 1/2 mile. 8/18, I've booked a private tour that includes the morning inner circle experience at Stonehenge, Avebury, and the surrounding areas to enjoy the countryside

Really looking forward to the trip now!.

Welcome to the group @jillinastoria !

I've been making plans all week now that I finally have airfare. We plan to use National Express bus to get from Heathrow to Southampton on 8/17. Spending 2 nights at the Moxy Southampton (2 rooms, AAA rate was 370GBP). Plan to walk from the bus station, less than 1/2 mile. 8/18, I've booked a private tour that includes the morning inner circle experience at Stonehenge, Avebury, and the surrounding areas to enjoy the countryside

Really looking forward to the trip now!.

Your plans sound amazing! Excited for all of us!

How’s everyone doing now that the cruise is getting closer? 97 days!

We are Silver CC and are looking forward to booking excursions soon! Right now we’re thinking:

Rotterdam: tram tour
Skjolden: scenic Jotunheimen
Nordfjordeid: kayaking
Mekjarvik/Stavanger: taking a taxi to Stavanger and exploring on our own
On the ship: whiskey and tequila tastings, possibly Remy if it’s available

There are many other things that look appealing, but our son HATES long bus rides, so we’ll probably stay relatively close to the ship.

Would love to know what others are doing or hear advice. Thanks!

How’s everyone doing now that the cruise is getting closer? 97 days!

We are Silver CC and are looking forward to booking excursions soon! Right now we’re thinking:

Rotterdam: tram tour
Skjolden: scenic Jotunheimen
Nordfjordeid: kayaking
Mekjarvik/Stavanger: taking a taxi to Stavanger and exploring on our own
On the ship: whiskey and tequila tastings, possibly Remy if it’s available

There are many other things that look appealing, but our son HATES long bus rides, so we’ll probably stay relatively close to the ship.

Would love to know what others are doing or hear advice. Thanks!
Not sure yet...I keep hoping that more excursions will get added to the list. We're silver also...so it will partly depend on what's left by then .. I'd like to do all DCL ones. Also my kids are adults 19/23, so we may split up at a couple ports. I told the kids they could go on their own excursion if they stick together... they're old enough to travel on their own anyway.

Rotterdam --kids: Delft/pottery. DH and I: windmills

Skjolden--not sure yet, maybe one with a Stave church.

Nordfjordeied--DD23 wants Nave deer farm, I want Briksdal glacier

Mekjarvik--maybe the hike to pulpit rock .. it's my birthday so I need to decide if I really want to hike 5 miles that day. .

No plans for Palo/Remy or drink tastings. DH doesn't drink and I don't like the price increases. I'm glad I got 3 tastings in last June on the Fantasy at the $25-$38 prices.

Not sure yet...I keep hoping that more excursions will get added to the list. We're silver also...so it will partly depend on what's left by then .. I'd like to do all DCL ones. Also my kids are adults 19/23, so we may split up at a couple ports. I told the kids they could go on their own excursion if they stick together... they're old enough to travel on their own anyway.

Rotterdam --kids: Delft/pottery. DH and I: windmills

Skjolden--not sure yet, maybe one with a Stave church.

Nordfjordeied--DD23 wants Nave deer farm, I want Briksdal glacier

Mekjarvik--maybe the hike to pulpit rock .. it's my birthday so I need to decide if I really want to hike 5 miles that day. .

No plans for Palo/Remy or drink tastings. DH doesn't drink and I don't like the price increases. I'm glad I got 3 tastings in last June on the Fantasy at the $25-$38 prices.

That all sounds great--and so cool that you'll be on the cruise on your birthday! I think Pulpit Rock sounds amazing, but 5 miles is definitely a lot. And even if they did allow kids, I'm not sure I'd trust my adventurous 8-year-old near the edge ... he would probably scare me to death!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter