Asked to Prove you are ASD or turned away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To livndisney:

It is the same roof, but away from all the people, at least for us, the noise level went down. Sorry you didn't have that same experience.

What assistance do I offer my child? (kind of a rude question but I'll still answer) If it gets too noisy she has to take off her aids and try to rely on reading lips. There are different programs on an implant that are suppose to be better in noise, but we have not had much success using them. We also tried to get the the parks before it was too busy and we didn't always ride on things that were super busy and noisy, but the tea cups were hands down her favorite ride. I would never go during a super busy season because I know it would just be too much for her.

My child has much more than a noise issue as you called it. My child is deaf. She wears two differnt kinds of implanted devices which allow her to hear. It is very difficult for her to filter out external noise. Wearing her devices is a blessing, but in certain situations it can be like she is being bonbarded with noise all going directly into her implant. For Disney to expect her to remove her implant and aid to be able to wait in line for long periods of time is unreasonable. The way they have the lines set up is not a good one for people who wear hearing devices.

I know the passes are not to avoid lines, not sure if you were tyring to imply that we were abusing the system. We used the pass to help make the wait manageable, yes we sometimes waited less time, but we always had to wait. The GAC card provides for an alternate entrance, which usually, is not so loud of an area away from so many people.

Since you posted to me, I will reply.

I am sorry you felt that asking what assistance you provide for your child was rude. This is a discussion board. We are parents of children with disabilities. Sometimes what one parent does may help another child, hence my so called "rude" question.

The "noise issue" statement I made was about MY child.

I am well aware of microtia.

As far as the rest of your post, I will keep my opinion to myself as it is clear your intent in your posts.

Have a Disney Day.

I guess this just goes to show that one person's accomodation is another's abuse. My son has autism/PDD-NOS. In current politically correct terms he fall into the "most severely impacted" range. We use a stroller for behavior management and last year we were offered the "Stroller as Wheelchair" tag by a very wise GS. I didn't even know the accomodation was available--and it made difference between us being able to stay in the park, and having to leave.

I must not have expressed myself well when I mentioned the woman with the children in the stroller. Her p0oint was that the children were not autistic - she just said they were in order to get the stroller as wheelchair tags. I apologize if I was unclear and it upset you. My point was that people who abuse the system are endangering the ability of those like you to have access to it. I could do nothing about this woman but vent about it. But as someone who is looking at taking a special needs child who may need an alternate waiting area in the future, I will hate to see the option gone because people abuse it.

I take people at face value generally. Unless I overhear you bragging about cheating the system I am going to assume you (and that is the generic you not aimed at anyone) have a need for that tag on your stroller. But this discussion was about whether or not there is abuse. Clearly there is - I saw it myself. And those kids and their families will be the ones hurt if the abusers cause the end of the option.

Since you posted to me, I will reply.

I am sorry you felt that asking what assistance you provide for your child was rude. This is a discussion board. We are parents of children with disabilities. Sometimes what one parent does may help another child, hence my so called "rude" question.

The "noise issue" statement I made was about MY child.

I am well aware of microtia.

As far as the rest of your post, I will keep my opinion to myself as it is clear your intent in your posts.

Have a Disney Day.

I responded to you in that manner because every time I posted anything all I got back from you was rude snippy remarks. So you may think my post was not nice, but your posts were not at all helpful to me. All you seemed to be doing was to call out me on my decisions.

We quit taking the time to see Fantasmic due to constant issues including not allowing our family to sit with my wife and I, the cast members always want my family of four to split up for the shows, the only accessible "seats" are nearly in the rear of the amitheater and we are almost always made to feel as if we are asking for something special to be seated together. I greatly understand the limited availability of accessible seating in the amiptheater, but separating families in a family oriented theme park is unacceptable. We have been forced to separate in other shows such as the Flights of Wonder, Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular to name a few but Fantasmic is the only one that the cast members were consistantly overzealous.

Not sitting together is another issue with a wheelchair that many don't think about. At Fantasmic, I was sitting kind of by myself with my husband and daughter several feet over on the bench in front of me - probably why I had so much time to listen to the woman bragging about getting wheelchair tags by saying her two healthy kids were autistic. If I wasn't listening, I wouldn't have thought anything of it - none of my business. We've also been split up at a couple of other shows - my husband sat by himself and my daughter and I sat together. But that has been rare since it isn't crowded right now. But I could see the potential for it happening at many locations. I figure it is just the way it is. If I had a young child I might feel different, but we are all adults.

To a PP who says her child has no diagnosis yet takes temper tantrums if the wait is longer than 15 min, well, show me any kid at disney who likes to wait longer than 15 min. Does this qualify as a legitimate need? Does Guest Services get to decide? Who gets to make this determination? What happens if the alternate entry wait area is longer than 15 min? The PP suggested that since she's paid her money she's entitled to get on rides. Yeah, me too. What is a need and what is simply a child that doesn't like to wait in line? Is simply not liking lines also a need? I'm travelling this summer with my 6 year old nephew who bounces off the walls and I'm sure he'll be a super joy in line. Should his parents ask for a GAC to avoid lines so that they don't have to deal with the inconvenience of a child who can't sit still? Is this a need? What about when my daughter was little and she literally hyperventilated at the sight of men with beards (who knows why). Should alternate entry have been provided so that perhaps we could avoid most situations where men with beards might be present? What if men with beards were also in the alternate waiting areas? Is this a real need? Would this qualify for a GAC?

So either Disney has to say GAC process is for those with documented disabilities or the whole discussion on who deserves them and who doesn't, needs to simply end. Since the first can't happen, then the second is the only outcome.

End of story.

I think you are trying to comment on what I said, but mixing it with other information? I just want to clarify for you that I was mentioning my 9 year old, who has been in therapy since she was 2 because "something was wrong" and STILL nobody can figure out what it is. I am not talking about a temper tantrum from 15 minutes of waiting. When she is ok she is fine. When something sets her off, it is not an issue of a spoiled child or just having a bad time, NOBODY knows what to do with her. We have been to therapists, she has had all sorts of tests and evaluations but she can not just settle down like a regular person. It is like something you would see in an ASD child, but she is not on the spectrum. Whatever it is effects her ability to learn. (behaviors as well as information) She is already held back a year in school, and is still behind enough that she spends half of her day in the classroom with the severely disabled children because she can't handle the work in the main classroom. We've been spending anywhere between 1-3 hours a night on her homework since pre-K.
There are many ASD/Aspergers/ADHD children who are much better off than her, and when there is an issue for them their parents can say "they have ____" and they get an exception to societal rules. I get public criticism for being a bad parent even if I try to say what's going on, because she doesn't fit criteria for a known condition. 30 years ago somebody with ASD didn't get a diagnosis but they didn't have less need than somebody with ASD today- they just didn't have a doctor's note, a support group and a clear way of stating what was going on. Her issues are well documented, but seeing as how it is all related to her emotional/cognitive development, not a current epidemic, and no known physical issue her doctor is not even involved. He referred us to the schools and they keep evaluating and testing. I can't bring a doctor's note because as far as her doctor is concerned she doesn't have a problem he can write about. I am concerned that we would pay to go to Disney and literally spend the entire trip in the room with her because every time we try to go on rides it is just too much. I don't expect that to happen, but it would be nice to know that if she had a really bad episode we would be able to get an exception, rather than old no specifically because her problem does not involve a physician. That is unfair in extremes that dwarf my concern of a person without needs skipping a line.

I am not meaning to have a talk about whether she has needs beyond normal. She does. But we don't have a way to say why. Trying to limit something like a GAC to people who have a common enough disability to get a diagnosis makes no sense. It simultaneously leaves out people with real needs and includes people who have mild symptoms and function with ease as if they did not have the disability.

The way things are now, if I was suddenly only dealing with a normal tantrum from 15 minutes of waiting or her bouncing off the walls I would be ecstatic. I do think asking for a GAC for normal childhood behaviors is overkill. I just wanted to be clear that was not at all what I was referring to.

Not sitting together is another issue with a wheelchair that many don't think about. At Fantasmic, I was sitting kind of by myself with my husband and daughter several feet over on the bench in front of me - probably why I had so much time to listen to the woman bragging about getting wheelchair tags by saying her two healthy kids were autistic. If I wasn't listening, I wouldn't have thought anything of it - none of my business. We've also been split up at a couple of other shows - my husband sat by himself and my daughter and I sat together. But that has been rare since it isn't crowded right now. But I could see the potential for it happening at many locations. I figure it is just the way it is. If I had a young child I might feel different, but we are all adults.

Fantasmic is a challenge at best! The whole sitting together is a huge deal. I know the CM's try and limit wheelchairs/ecvs to the chair user and a companion due to the limited space. Depending on when they arrive the rest of the family can usually sit a row or two ahead.

oh no, I'm sorry, I just meant yours as an example of how hard it is to tell the difference for the CMs at Guest Services. I didn't mean to imply yours was not a real need. Sorry. :) Yes, I can see that I poorly worded that part about being entitled to get on rides, etc. I was trying to toss out hypothetical situations as to what someone might say as as response to what you said, "yeah, I spent money on this vacation too and why does your kid get something mine doesn't get? I expect to get what I paid for!!" (haven't we all seen posts with those words used?????) And how a CM has to make this determination in a very short time as to what is real and what isn't , and yet, it's never ever that clear.

What you typed out - that's what CMs don't see, and can't see, and can't ask for. Nor would they understand it. Your whole history with your child.

so, yes, I was using your situation as an example, combining it with other posts and information, but didn't mean to make any statement about the specific needs of your child. I apologize for that.

I think you are trying to comment on what I said, but mixing it with other information? I just want to clarify for you that I was mentioning my 9 year old, who has been in therapy since she was 2 because "something was wrong" and STILL nobody can figure out what it is. I am not talking about a temper tantrum from 15 minutes of waiting. When she is ok she is fine. When something sets her off, it is not an issue of a spoiled child or just having a bad time, NOBODY knows what to do with her. We have been to therapists, she has had all sorts of tests and evaluations but she can not just settle down like a regular person. It is like something you would see in an ASD child, but she is not on the spectrum. Whatever it is effects her ability to learn. (behaviors as well as information) She is already held back a year in school, and is still behind enough that she spends half of her day in the classroom with the severely disabled children because she can't handle the work in the main classroom. We've been spending anywhere between 1-3 hours a night on her homework since pre-K.
There are many ASD/Aspergers/ADHD children who are much better off than her, and when there is an issue for them their parents can say "they have ____" and they get an exception to societal rules. I get public criticism for being a bad parent even if I try to say what's going on, because she doesn't fit criteria for a known condition. 30 years ago somebody with ASD didn't get a diagnosis but they didn't have less need than somebody with ASD today- they just didn't have a doctor's note, a support group and a clear way of stating what was going on. Her issues are well documented, but seeing as how it is all related to her emotional/cognitive development, not a current epidemic, and no known physical issue her doctor is not even involved. He referred us to the schools and they keep evaluating and testing. I can't bring a doctor's note because as far as her doctor is concerned she doesn't have a problem he can write about. I am concerned that we would pay to go to Disney and literally spend the entire trip in the room with her because every time we try to go on rides it is just too much. I don't expect that to happen, but it would be nice to know that if she had a really bad episode we would be able to get an exception, rather than old no specifically because her problem does not involve a physician. That is unfair in extremes that dwarf my concern of a person without needs skipping a line.

I am not meaning to have a talk about whether she has needs beyond normal. She does. But we don't have a way to say why. Trying to limit something like a GAC to people who have a common enough disability to get a diagnosis makes no sense. It simultaneously leaves out people with real needs and includes people who have mild symptoms and function with ease as if they did not have the disability.

The way things are now, if I was suddenly only dealing with a normal tantrum from 15 minutes of waiting or her bouncing off the walls I would be ecstatic. I do think asking for a GAC for normal childhood behaviors is overkill. I just wanted to be clear that was not at all what I was referring to.

Does your dd have sensory issues? It sounds like she's having an extreme sensory issue? I am not trying to be glib. Our dd was dx'd with ASD at 20 mths, but she really doesn't fit in some ways. However, she does have sensory issues. Each time I ask a therapist, teacher, or aide if she's like another kid they've worked with, the answer is no. We're still flying blind!:hug:

Yes, we've all seen posts like that... which is why I figured you probably were reading through and my post got jumbled with another. I wasn't offended, but wanted to make clear I wasn't grasping for straws with a reason for a GAC. (an "I swear I'm not one of those" moment)

I never expect people to know the needs of my child, especially online. Half the time I don't even know.

I've been excited about how they are updating the ride lines with entertainment and little nooks because I think that will help both with impatient people and for those who have some unseen needs involving spaces. Row after row of people herding back and forth between poles is taxing on anybody, there are many individuals for whom that is just asking for trouble.

Does your dd have sensory issues? It sounds like she's having an extreme sensory issue? I am not trying to be glib. Our dd was dx'd with ASD at 20 mths, but she really doesn't fit in some ways. However, she does have sensory issues. Each time I ask a therapist, teacher, or aide if she's like another kid they've worked with, the answer is no. We're still flying blind!:hug:

here's my 2 cents on that - my son has not been "normal" since day one (whatever normal is, but as a mother I knew something wasn't right). over the years various things have come up medically which were treated, but also emotionally which were not because they had no place, and finally after getting a dx through genetic testing of something random, weird, and very rare did all the pieces FINALLY make sense. It was like getting the final piece of the map that had been missing and then there it was, the final map to the treasure that is my son, laid out in front of me. Finally. Yes, it totally sucks to have a final dx, but it finally makes sense.

so trust that mom gut

(sorry for going OT. )

We do know that it is not Autism of Asperger's. I don't think she has a sensory problem, but I'm not closed to the idea... One of her little quirks is that nobody can figure out what sets her off. She is just perfectly happy, then panicky, violent and usually extremely sad. With my older son suddenly developing a number of food allergies and intolerances I've been reading about that so of course I suspect maybe it's a food issue. At least it's worth testing (why not rule more out?)
She seems to be unique to everybody too. One of the fun ones is that most people, when learning a skill, will gradually get better. She will suddenly jump forward, then regress for a few months. Then jump forward and regress for a while. It makes no sense whatsoever. I felt like I was crazy before she got to Kindergarten, but now I at least have the comfort that every year her teacher sits me down, shows me what seems to be happening and asks if this is what we see because she's never seen this before. (4th such conference was a few weeks ago)

We quit taking the time to see Fantasmic due to constant issues including not allowing our family to sit with my wife and I, the cast members always want my family of four to split up for the shows, the only accessible "seats" are nearly in the rear of the amitheater and we are almost always made to feel as if we are asking for something special to be seated together. I greatly understand the limited availability of accessible seating in the amiptheater, but separating families in a family oriented theme park is unacceptable. We have been forced to separate in other shows such as the Flights of Wonder, Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular to name a few but Fantasmic is the only one that the cast members were consistantly overzealous.
The way the wheelchair spots in the Fantasmic amphitheater are set up, there are 2 wheelchair spots next to each other, then 2 companion seats, then 2 more wheelchair spots, repeating over and over. So, there is only one seat for someone to sit next to each wheelchair.
When it works out correctly, the rest of each party sits in the row or 2 directly in front of the person with a wheelchair - and it has happened to us that way each time. But, they do also use those rows for guests without wheelchairs/ECVs who need to sit close to the top. Some of them are people who have parked their wheelchair or ECV to ‘conserve’ the spots for those who are not able to transfer. Some are families with a person with disabilities who may need to leave early (such as, panic situations or children with autism whose parents are not sure how they will tolerate the show).

When the show first began, there were a lot fewer wheelchair/ECV spots and long benches for the rest of the party to sit together. But, they frequently ran out of wheelchair spots and guests who wanted to see the show could not (even though there were plenty of spots for people who could walk in/did not need any special accommodations).
The amphitheater was renovated to make more wheelchair/ECV seating, but even with that, it is possible to still run out of spots. When we went in October 2009, there were 3 in our party and we got there about 50 minutes before the show was to begin. We got the next to last seat for someone who could not transfer to a bench. If there had been no wheelchair parking spots left, we would have needed to skip the show since DD is not able to sit out of her wheelchair.

So, the ‘price’ of more wheelchair spots was less people being able to sit in a row with their family. We actually prefer the ‘sit in front’ option because the old ‘in a row’ way meant that everyone in our party could really only converse with the people right next to them anyway. But, I understand it can be a drag when your family is separated.

Sorry if I'm covering already covered I have had time to read all the responses in this thread.

We were there in December and had trouble with Guest relations. My daughter is not on the Autism Spectrum, but has a different "disability" that was rendered not enough of a disability to get a GAC. My daughter is deaf and wears a cochlear implant on one ear and a bone conduction hearing aid on the other.

We would be happy to wait in any line they provide, but the way they have the lines set up underneath the metal pavillion covers is a sound nightmare. The person in guest relations suggested she just take off her devices to wait in line. So for half of her day she would be without sound and communication. How fun or right is that?

Guest relations staff need to be better trained.
You may also want to look into touring plans like. Even if you don’t follow the plan and just use the plan to choose the least busy park for the day, it will be very helpful.
2 of the common touring plans are easywdw.com and touringplans.com

A touring plan can help you to be in the least busy part of the least busy park. That will help with waits in line and also general noise (less people = less noise). Many people on this board have found that using a touring plan helps a lot more than a GAC because they can usually plan things in a way that they never have to wait for more than 10 minutes and often walk right in. This can happen even during busy times like Spring break and Christmas.

We have done this during Spring break ourselves and were basically able to see everything in Fantasyland, plus Haunted Mansion, Pirates and Splash Mountain before noon without waiting more than 15 minutes for anything.

There may still be some lines where she needs to take her aids out/turn them off because the noise level is very high from the music and effects in the line. I don’t know what Test Track will be like after it is renovated, but it was very noisy with a lot of pounding, banging type noises.
I guess this just goes to show that one person's accomodation is another's abuse. My son has autism/PDD-NOS. In current politically correct terms he fall into the "most severely impacted" range. We use a stroller for behavior management and last year we were offered the "Stroller as Wheelchair" tag by a very wise GS. I didn't even know the accomodation was available--and it made difference between us being able to stay in the park, and having to leave. I've had to carry my son in big parks--it ain't fun, though partially that is because he literally collapses when he over heats. It is very convenient. Making him walk in large places? Well, I'm all for kids taking responsibility and as a foster parent I've had over 8 kids. Let me tell you its different. Beyound how tired he gets from toe walking, beyond the extra distance involved in spinning every few steps there's the distractions--the leaves that have to be rubbed between his fingers and flown in the wind, the pebble, even the asphalt which needs to be rubbed and stroked...and you're probabling thinking tell him to stop. Sure, but the reality is that he can't just stop and WDW is exciting, so all those behaviors increase 1000%. Plus that doesn't even consider meltdowns, not tantrums but pure meltdowns. The stroller gets us past all that and gives him a place to "be". And, since he is non-verbal it means I don't have to worry quite so much about him getting separated from my during a crowd surge.

ETA: The stroller also helps transition. Getting off of a ride is VERY difficult. True, its hard for any child---but most children have an inherent filter where they don't bit, scratch, pinch, hit--at least not to the point of real damage. Or head bang, or pluck their eyes. Being able to transition to the stroller continues the propriospective (or however its spelled) input which can blur the line of the transition which makes it manageable.

Sooo, I could well see myself talking to my mom awaiting a parade as my seemingly calm 8 year old jumps up and down or spins his R2 about how convienent the Stroller as Wheelchair tag is, and how much it really made things so much easier since I didn't have to carry him (which is what I do when we're at concerts, but that's only for a few hours, not at whole day). I sort of doubt I would have to tell my mom (my son's grandmother), "You know, since son has autism I needed to use the stroller...."

I guess my question though is about the CM not reading the doctor's letter. Last time, the GS at least said he was making a copy (on my request) and put a number on the copy and on the little tag we put on my son--my assumption was that it was being put some place. With the changes, can they still do this? My big fear is that we could somehow get separated and since he is non-verbal no one would know about his medical needs.
The original poster you were replying to came back and posted a response, but I wanted to point out that no one is saying children with a need should not use a stroller as a wheelchair.
You misunderstood the original poster . She was talking about someone she overheard who said her children had NO disability, but she was choosing to claim they has one so she could use a stroller because it was convenient.
My husband suffered a stroke a few years back, which has made touring WDW a bit more difficult. It's like he no longer has any coping mechanisms. Much like a child, he's prone to meltdowns, freaks out in lines, etc. We tried to get a GAC and were denied. Consequently, we had to skip a lot after he completely "went off" on an undeserving CM. I wrote to Disney afterward and expressed my concern for our next trip. I told the CM at Guest Services and Disney that we're not looking for a front of the line pass, but we were hoping he could join me at the front of the queue when I got there. The response I received from Disney was a brush-off. It's very frustrating.
You will also want to look into touring plans like I mentioned above to another poster. Doing that would help a lot with shortening your time waiting and the number of people you would be exposed to.
As another poster mentioned, in most lines there is not a way to have someone wait to the side and meet up with other members of the party when they get to the front. That may be why you got what you felt was a ‘brush off’.

Even if he can walk, you may also want to look at a wheelchair for him. Many people with autism use a wheelchair or a stroller to provide a safe place and haven for them. It can help keep the person calmer and provide a buffer between that person and other people.
Last year when I went to disney only some ride CM's were a bit snotty, some even asked if my DD's wheelchair was truly a wheelchair ( it's a convaid). I used fast passes when we could and other rides we were taken from the line by the CM's and escorted to another entrance. In the 8 days we were at disney we rode all the rides we could and saw a lot of shows thanks to the help of the CM. This summer's trip to seaworld/buschgardens and universal scaresme as we are going as a group of 7, my DD uses a wheel chair due to MD and weakened muscles and my niece who is 5 has autism,adhd and sensory issues.
They usually give a large, bright tag that identifies a stroller as being used as a wheelchair. If you did not have one of those, you will want to get one on your next trip. Even though your child’s Convaid wheelchair looks like a wheelchair to you, to someone who is not familiar with it, it can look a lot like a stroller (which was why they were probably asking).
It was actually a lot easier when my DD was little. It was unusual to see a stroller that a child older than 3 or 4 could fit into, so any that was larger was pretty much recognized as a stroller type wheelchair. And, the wheelchairs and special needs strollers looked pretty “medical”. They have been designed to be more mainstream, which means they look more like regular strollers.
I don't think that's the consensus at all, nor will the guest services people read your note.

However, explaining exactly what you said here, IS what guest services needs to know. I think, explaining it exactly how you just did, would get your needs appropriately met.
If it makes you feel better, you can bring a note, but as buffettgirl noted, Guest Services are very unlikely to look at it.

Yes, we've all seen posts like that... which is why I figured you probably were reading through and my post got jumbled with another. I wasn't offended, but wanted to make clear I wasn't grasping for straws with a reason for a GAC. (an "I swear I'm not one of those" moment)

I never expect people to know the needs of my child, especially online. Half the time I don't even know.

I've been excited about how they are updating the ride lines with entertainment and little nooks because I think that will help both with impatient people and for those who have some unseen needs involving spaces. Row after row of people herding back and forth between poles is taxing on anybody, there are many individuals for whom that is just asking for trouble.
I think the little nooks are going to be great.
But, they can bring up several other problems.
For Haunted Mansion, I think they need a bit more signing to tell people what the 2 different lines are (the right side goes directly to the line leading to the ride, the left side goes to the interactive graveyard). What I have seen in the graveyard is that people tend to just walk along the graveyard path, staying in line and getting impatient if someone ahead of them keeps ‘playing’.

For the interactive line at Pooh, some kids are having so much fun playing that their parents are having trouble getting them to move along. (SO possibly a need for some new social stories for kids with difficulty making transitions).

But, they will be a lot better than the ‘people herding’.

They usually give a large, bright tag that identifies a stroller as being used as a wheelchair. If you did not have one of those, you will want to get one on your next trip. Even though your child’s Convaid wheelchair looks like a wheelchair to you, to someone who is not familiar with it, it can look a lot like a stroller (which was why they were probably asking).
It was actually a lot easier when my DD was little. It was unusual to see a stroller that a child older than 3 or 4 could fit into, so any that was larger was pretty much recognized as a stroller type wheelchair. And, the wheelchairs and special needs strollers looked pretty “medical”. They have been designed to be more mainstream, which means they look more like regular strollers.
We did have a tag but it didn't seem to matter much. I learned the hard way the first time I went to Disney with my DD, using the bus system was hard without a GAC and a sleepy child with low muscle tone! Last year she slept again for the bus ride!

I just returned from WDW and had the stroller tagged as a wheelchair and a GAC for that purpose. I was told specifically by GS that it did not apply to the buses, only to the parks. Were you allowed to keep your child in the stroller on the bus? It would have made a huge difference for me if that was allowed.

I just returned from WDW and had the stroller tagged as a wheelchair and a GAC for that purpose. I was told specifically by GS that it did not apply to the buses, only to the parks. Were you allowed to keep your child in the stroller on the bus? It would have made a huge difference for me if that was allowed.

Your child was not allowed to remain in the stroller on the bus for their own safety. Most "regular" strollers are not made with tiedowns. It is a DOT reg that strollers must be folded to board a bus.

Your child was not allowed to remain in the stroller on the bus for their own safety. Most "regular" strollers are not made with tiedowns. It is a DOT reg that strollers must be folded to board a bus.

I wish that was the law here in Canada. A lot of my problem with getting bus seats has to do with strollers using the priority seats. The norm is that strollers trump people not in wheelchairs who need the seats.

Strollers as a general rule cannot be used as a wheelchair on buses. There are a few medical needs strollers that are ok for bus use and were made to be tied down.

All this GAC CM stuff is making me embarrassed to ask for a GAC card when we go in Sept. I don't look particularly unhealthy but I do have issues. I use a ECV (4 back surgeries) and I have something really stupid that I have had my whole life since I was 4.

When I went to Dis last time I just asked for a GAC for mobility issue. Don't remember using it but a few times and usually had to wait longer than main line due to it being off peak time but that is fine by me. I thought that GAC card covered everything as far as AE was concerned. I couldn't ride a few rides because the CM wanted me to ride my ECV through the line (TSM). We tried and I had to make every person behind me move so I could get out of that line. It was awful.

I have stress induced vase o vagel syncope (sp) and if I get the feeling of claustrophobia or too hot or pain (not all pain but I can't choose) or scared (panic attack), I will pass out and hit the floor and convulse. This is stupid and it doesn't scare me (other than the falling part, many goose eggs and cuts) because I know I am going to wake up and be OK, and honestly it doesn't hurt being "out" either but I know it's not good for me and scares the heck out of people around me.

I am embarrassed asking for a GAC card and if the CM treats me like I am lying I'll just die. I FEEL the need to explain WHY (willing to provide proof also)but I know they don't want to hear it (rules)....what to do, what to do?

As I've gotten older (50) I can tell when it's starting usually and know to lay down to prevent injury but hard to do in a queue.

I hate that so many people are cheating that they are making others like me feel bad for asking for one.

All this GAC CM stuff is making me embarrassed to ask for a GAC card when we go in Sept. I don't look particularly unhealthy but I do have issues. I use a ECV (4 back surgeries) and I have something really stupid that I have had my whole life since I was 4.

When I went to Dis last time I just asked for a GAC for mobility issue. Don't remember using it but a few times and usually had to wait longer than main line due to it being off peak time but that is fine by me. I thought that GAC card covered everything as far as AE was concerned. I couldn't ride a few rides because the CM wanted me to ride my ECV through the line (TSM). We tried and I had to make every person behind me move so I could get out of that line. It was awful.

I have stress induced vase o vagel syncope (sp) and if I get the feeling of claustrophobia or too hot or pain (not all pain but I can't choose) or scared (panic attack), I will pass out and hit the floor and convulse. This is stupid and it doesn't scare me (other than the falling part, many goose eggs and cuts) because I know I am going to wake up and be OK, and honestly it doesn't hurt being "out" either but I know it's not good for me and scares the heck out of people around me.

I am embarrassed asking for a GAC card and if the CM treats me like I am lying I'll just die. I FEEL the need to explain WHY (willing to provide proof also)but I know they don't want to hear it (rules)....what to do, what to do?

As I've gotten older (50) I can tell when it's starting usually and know to lay down to prevent injury but hard to do in a queue.

I hate that so many people are cheating that they are making others like me feel bad for asking for one.

Don't be embarrassed to ask for GAC. They are made for people who need them, and it is the ones who don't need them that should be embarrassed. Just tell the CM what your needs are - I don't think they can legally deny you if they have that accommodation. They can't give it to some people with needs and not to others with those needs because that would be discrimination. So go in, tell them your needs, and if there is any rudeness, complain to a manager. But really, if you know your needs and state them clearly, I doubt they will be anything but pleasant. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter