Arriving at PC in multiple vehicles with different PATs

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
So my oldest son and I have an 11:30 PAT, and my wife and two younger kids have a 1:30 PAT at Port Canaveral.

I am constantly checking my OLCI to see if an earlier PAT opens for the latter reservation, but let’s assume that’s not forthcoming.

Our original plan was to drive to PC in a single car, and feedback on this forum was that if all five of us are in one car, they will probably let us all enter, park and test with the earlier PAT (though they may make us wait in the garage until the later PAT).

Well, plans changed, and now we will be driving in two cars. We can leave one car at our Cocoa Beach hotel (@$12/day), pile into the minivan and proceed with the strategy described above. Or we can drive both cars to the port.

Let’s assume my oldest son (with the earlier PAT) arrives in the minivan with my wife. And let’s assume my two younger kids arrive with me (who has the same res and same earlier PAT as my son).

Both cars will have a guest with the earlier PAT. Do you suppose they will let both cars through early (assuming everybody in both cars has correct ID/passport/port arrival form w/QR code/Safe Passage “Clear to Arrive”)?

Please and thanks.

Last edited:
All the names have to be on the QR code when they scan it.
Each vehicle’s occupants will all have their unique QR code to display on their mobile wallet. Both vehicles will be carrying both port arrival forms, too.

Each vehicle’s occupants will all have their unique QR code to display on their mobile wallet. Both vehicles will be carrying both port arrival forms, too.
The Covid-19 testing is linked to the QR codes. When you arrive, they'll want to see everyone on a reservation at the same time and then they'll distribute tests. If you split your reservations into separate vehicles, then you'll have to do some explaining and then rearrange so that everyone on one reservation tests together and everyone on the other tests together. I don't know how they'll handle it if you try to split into two cars to game the PAT system.

The PAT is also attached to the QR code along with all the names on that particular reservation #. Based on what you are saying you must have 2 reservations correct?

If I were you I'd have everyone arrive in car at 1:30. There will be less confusion with the testing staff and there will be less confusion with boarding

The PAT is also attached to the QR code along with all the names on that particular reservation #. Based on what you are saying you must have 2 reservations correct?
Yes. That is why we have two different PATs vs. one.

The Covid-19 testing is linked to the QR codes. When you arrive, they'll want to see everyone on a reservation at the same time and then they'll distribute tests. If you split your reservations into separate vehicles, then you'll have to do some explaining and then rearrange so that everyone on one reservation tests together and everyone on the other tests together. I don't know how they'll handle it if you try to split into two cars to game the PAT system.
Well, I am not so much trying to game it as I am trying to replicate what would likely happen if we all arrived in a single vehicle anyway (which was the original plan, when we thought we only needed one car). Not sure I want to leave my car in the Doubletree parking lot for a week, so I may want to park both vehicles at the port.

What I don't want to have happen is that they wave in one vehicle, but tell the other vehicle to come back in two hours with their own PAT. It will be a bit of a PITA for us to get broken up like that.

I honestly don't know why they don't give linked reservations the same PAT, but I guess that's a discussion for another day.

Well, I am not so much trying to game it as I am trying to replicate what would likely happen if we all arrived in a single vehicle anyway (which was the original plan, when we thought we only needed one car). Not sure I want to leave my car in the Doubletree parking lot for a week, so I may want to park both vehicles at the port.

What I don't want to have happen is that they wave in one vehicle, but tell the other vehicle to come back in two hours with their own PAT. It will be a bit of a PITA for us to get broken up like that.

I honestly don't know why they don't give linked reservations the same PAT, but I guess that's a discussion for another day.
Why not have both cars arrive at 1:30?

Why not have both cars arrive at 1:30?

Because 1.) we'd prefer the earlier PAT; and 2.) the DCL site says something to the effect that if you miss your PAT window and arrive late, they'll let you in as time and crowds permit. I don't want us to roll in at 1:30 and be told that the 11:30 people are at the back of the line because they are two hours late on their own PAT.

I just don't know how stringent they are, post-COVID, when the arriving party has mixed PATs.

Last edited:
Best case, they send both cars through and you meet up and re-shuffle into the reservations for the COVID screen.
Most likely case, they reject both cars for each having people who are 2 hours early for their PAT/screening.
Worst case scenario, they let one car through, reject the 2nd car for having people early, and then the first car people are stuck sitting for 2 hours until everyone is present for a reservation because they won't let only part of a reservation do the screening. (Can you imagine if they let someone in a cabin board the ship and then someone else in their family screened positive 2 hours later? I could just see someone being pulled off the ship kicking and screaming.)

Because 1.) we'd prefer the earlier PAT; and 2.) the DCL site says something to the effect that if you miss your PAT window and arrive late, they'll let you in as time and crowds permit. I don't want us to roll in at 1:30 and be told that the 11:30 people are at the back of the line because they are two hours late on their own PAT.

I just don't know how stringent they are, post-COVID, when the arriving party has mixed PATs.
Of course you'd prefer an earlier PAT, but at the moment that's not possible. Given the fact that all of you have to test you should arrive together which would be at 1:30. They're not going to tell 11:30 people to move to the back of the line as the testing process has been fairly smooth since the test results only take 15 mins.

Of course you'd prefer an earlier PAT, but at the moment that's not possible. Given the fact that all of you have to test you should arrive together which would be at 1:30. They're not going to tell 11:30 people to move to the back of the line as the testing process has been fairly smooth since the test results only take 15 mins.
Well, you asked why we all don’t just come at 1:30, so I gave you the answer.

Some us actually do have the earlier PAT; it’s not like we’re trying to weasel into a PAT that none of us have. All I really want to know is how they at the port address a mixed-PAT arrival.

And not everyone prefers the early PAT. Many folks here have stated they prefer the late PAT so they can sleep in, have a half-day at the parks/DS, or otherwise wait to board until the bad traffic and the cattle-call are over, and the crowds have dispersed. We tried that once, and it actually turned out to be our worst arrival experience at PC.

Last edited:
I would come at the time you see fit, no sooner than your first PAT.

the DCL site says something to the effect that if you miss your PAT window and arrive late, they'll let you in as time and crowds permit. I don't want us to roll in at 1:30 and be told that the 11:30 people are at the back of the line because they are two hours late on their own PAT.
I understand this is disneyspeak to say you shouldn't take for granted that you will be able to enter the terminal/testing facility without queuing.

I think if you call or chat with DCL they will tell you to use the later PAT. Several have mentioned that is what they have been told in the past and that is the only way to guarantee you go in together. The COVID testing is what is making it an issue.

I think if you call or chat with DCL they will tell you to use the later PAT. Several have mentioned that is what they have been told in the past and that is the only way to guarantee you go in together. The COVID testing is what is making it an issue.
I hear you, but then, the DCL site says that if you have two different PATs, you should try the early one and they "will do their best to keep everyone together" (or something to that effect).

I hear you, but then, the DCL site says that if you have two different PATs, you should try the early one and they "will do their best to keep everyone together" (or something to that effect).

They may or may not let all of you arrive and test at the earlier time, but it seems like an unnecessary gamble to me. Another issue will be that your 1:30 PAT group will not be allowed to board earlier than what their boarding group says. So let's say you can all test using the early PAT, is the second group just going to sit at the terminal while you board the ship?

They may or may not let all of you arrive and test at the earlier time, but it seems like an unnecessary gamble to me. Another issue will be that your 1:30 PAT group will not be allowed to board earlier than what their boarding group says. So let's say you can all test using the early PAT, is the second group just going to sit at the terminal while you board the ship?
Honestly, given the traffic nightmare we had the first (and last) time we tried a late arrival, I would rather sit in the garage for an hour and a half vs. sitting on backed-up A1A, white-knuckling it.

I know it was a fluke, but it was *that* bad that I’m still shooken by it, five years later.

The other downside of a late PAT (for us, at least) is that we always go to Cabanas right away. The kids love hitting it hard. But late PAT = late lunch = nobody’s hungry for our 5:45 first seating.

Honestly, given the traffic nightmare we had the first (and last) time we tried a late arrival, I would rather sit in the garage for an hour and a half vs. sitting on backed-up A1A, white-knuckling it.
But you don't sit in the garage you are turned away and told to return at your scheduled PAT. As soon as you enter the garage you are in the testing que that is why they have the PAT.

the DCL site says that if you have two different PATs, you should try the early one and they "will do their best to keep everyone together" (or something to that effect).
I can't find that but "search" on the DCL site never works well for me. So I'll take your word for it. This is what I recall:
  • You chose to split your family across 2 staterooms, knowing both would need to check-in separately.
  • You set your reminder for the wrong date to do online check-in.
  • You did online check-in late and got 1:30 PATs for both reservations.
  • You managed to get one reservation changed to an 11:30 PAT but no luck yet with the other.
  • You've chosen to arrive at the port terminal in separate vehicles, rejecting suggestions to arrive in 1 vehicle or to take DCL transfers.
  • You want DCL to accommodate both reservations at the early PAT and allow boarding together. Despite many posts on 3 threads suggesting the only way to guarantee what you want is to arrive at the later PAT.
  • And throughout discussions you repeatedly say you aren't trying to game the system or break the rules.
Sometimes we have to live with the consequences of our own choices even if not the ideal. It seems you are really getting worked up over this arrival and boarding situation that you are destined to have a very stressful start to vacation. If I were you I would put it behind me and focus on making the later PAT work -- enjoy a relaxed morning at the resort, have a good breakfast maybe late morning as a brunch so you aren't starved at boarding, caravan in both vehicles to the port, arrive and test and board all together. Accept the situation, leave the stress behind and get on with enjoying your cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter