Are you going to eat out soon?

We did.

Positives:
Less people was actually very enjoyable.
They had signs on the tables that were green if the table had been cleaned and was ready for seating, which they then flipped over to red once we sat down indicating that the table needed to be cleaned once we left. I'm not a germophobe, but I liked this. It seems like something that wouldn't be terrible to stay in place. This is what is done in manufacturing establishments to indicate equipment has been used and needs to be cleaned. Maybe there's a nicer way to do it than what they did this time, so you don't just have a red card on your table the whole meal, but I'm not opposed to this being the norm.

Negatives:
Being treated like lepers.
Being admonished like kindergarteners because my husband walked up to the hostess stand.
Having to push all of our used plates/utensils to the edge of the table so our server didn't cross the "six feet" nonsense to gather them.
Server in a mask. You really begin to see how much we rely on human faces and expressions for communication when someone's face is half-covered. I also am hard of hearing, and someone talking to me through a mask makes this difficult for two reasons: I can't see their lips, and they are muffled by the mask. As a result, interaction between us was a struggle.

So... until this is all over, we won't be going back out to eat. Not because I'm scared of COVID, but because the experience overall was pretty negative to me.

The positive to that: I've saved an insane amount of money not dining out.

Server in a mask. You really begin to see how much we rely on human faces and expressions for communication when someone's face is half-covered. I also am hard of hearing, and someone talking to me through a mask makes this difficult for two reasons: I can't see their lips, and they are muffled by the mask. As a result, interaction between us was a struggle.
Completely understand why servers would wear a mask, but I get what you’re saying and this would be the biggest frustration for me.

No. Plain and simple. Not worth the risk. Tell me when there's a vaccine or a treatment. I might change my mind. Not one minute before. The first couple of weeks, I "missed" my date nights with my husband (once a week, Friday nights), but we've found a new normal. And, I know longer "miss" it. I'm good for an extended period of time.

I hope to. We are at least a several weeks away here in New Jersey from restaurants opening. Due to our eating habits ( result of DH's work schedules ) we normally eat at off peak times anyway. Go to lunch before noon & dinner by 5:30.
The staff wearing masks will be ok with us. We are doing curbside from a few local places & some of the staff bringing out the food recognize us & we them, even with all of us in masks . The interaction is still there just briefer.

Eastern Shore of MD here.
Nothing open for eat in just yet. We are lucky in that this time of year is when the many waterside and open air type places open up for outdoor seating, and we enjoy going to those type places. When they are allowed to open, we will patronize them.
MD has loosened things a bit in that they have opened up parks, beaches, golf and tennis. Governor had implied last week that if things continued as they were we would be looking at entering phase 1 (? I think that is what they called it) and loosening things up a bit more, including lifting stay at home orders.
We are fortunate to be living in a state with abundant outdoor activities, and with the weather getting nicer, I think folks will be taking advantage of the opportunity to be outside dining waterside.
We are looking forward to it!

Ohio here. Restaurants open for outside dining Friday and inside next Friday. We will not participate in either.

It is not appetizing to me to eat between shower curtains, plexiglass or wear a mask. (I am very pro mask and wear one when out but not liking the idea for eating).

People do not use common sense and throw giant hissy fits about wearing a mask to the grocery and are generally clueless. I do not want to eat using utensils that have touched tables or been touched by someone working at the restaurant.

We get carryout once a week and we will continue that - we support our local places, get a meal I didn't have to cook and stimulate the economy a little. That will have to be good enough for now.

We've picked up food a few times, but restaurants aren't anywhere near close to opening in my area.

Last edited:
Florida here and nope, not a chance I'm dining in any time soon.

We've been ordering copious amounts of takeout (gotta support the local economy!) but in-restaurant dining holds no appeal.

We have a disturbing number of the childish "You're not the boss of me!" folks who whine about the tiniest safety measures as well as the blissfully oblivious people who mean well, but walk around with their masks under their chin. As much as I'd enjoy a nice restaurant meal, I'm not putting my health and safety in their hands.

My own death is not the only risk I'm considering. I'm also not particularly interested in:

*Having to worry about whether I've got it
*Having to queue up at the stadium to have a q-tip shoved 10 feet up my nose
*Sitting around a yucky hospital and getting pneumonia, MRSA, C-diff, or any of the other lovely germs floating around there
*Spending 2 weeks on my back at home with severe flu-like symptoms
*Permanent organ damage
*Shelling out my deductible and copays for any of this
*Being a disease vector so any of this happens to my family or essential workers I encounter

In order to go back I'd have to see a significant, sustained reduction in local cases, easy access to rapid testing locally, and evidence we're going to consistently follow safety protocols.

I don't see any difference between take out and dining in, as far as the number of times your food is 'exposed' (for lack of a better word) to other people. That's why we've only gotten take out a couple of times during this...and I wasn't totally comfortable with that, either.

I don't see any difference between take out and dining in, as far as the number of times your food is 'exposed' (for lack of a better word) to other people. That's why we've only gotten take out a couple of times during this...and I wasn't totally comfortable with that, either.

Food isn’t really a statically relevant vector for Covid. The risk is in being within sneezing/coughing and to a lesser extent breathing distance to other people for a prolonged about of time such as in a restaurant dine-in setting.

Maybe not your food, but how many times you could be exposed differ greatly, depending on how the restaurant is set up to do dine in.

In my area of CA, we can only do curb side (which includes picking up right at the front door). Of course there is a chance, but since I don't step foot inside the restaurant, my exposure is limited and for a short period of time and the food is already boxed up. If I were to dine in, how do I get to my table? Do I walk by other tables? What if somebody sneezes 2 tables away while I'm sitting and the a/c pushes it my direction. What if it's while my server is carrying my food by?

That's not to say I totally disagree with you. I was just telling DH last night, that when restaurants are allowed to reopen here, I'm going to really have to judge how they're handling it before ordering take out again from them.

Food isn’t really a statically relevant vector for Covid. The risk is in being within sneezing/coughing and to a lesser extent breathing distance to other people for a prolonged about of time such as in a restaurant dine-in setting.
I know there is no data suggesting food is a vector. However, how many times was that container touched and by who (whom?), as well as anything else in the box/bag? Right now, it isn't a risk I'm comfortable taking.

I know there is no data suggesting food is a vector. However, how many times was that container touched and by who (whom?), as well as anything else in the box/bag? Right now, it isn't a risk I'm comfortable taking.

I can absolutely understand why someone would feel that way.

What I do is bring the containers home, wash my hands, remove the food with my own utensils to my own plate, discard the packaging, disinfect the counter, wash my hands again, and then dig in!

It's a bit of a hassle, but sounds worse than it is.

As soon as they open here I’ll be going out to eat. We’ve been doing take out regularly.

people here are ordering lots of take out. We ordered food from a restaurant yesterday and the wait was 3 hours.

I’m in NJ. We’re shutdown for another month at least. So I’ve got a lot of time to wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter