Are WDW parks really overflowing with trash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I will respond to this one. I have been ignoring this thread for a few days now, but I am well known as a "diehard Disney defender" and have often stated myself that I will pay higher prices. However, I am pretty sure it was this very thread earlier on where I agreed with cakebaker which is a rarity that overflowing trash cans were not acceptable. We disagree on the root cause of the issue and the solution (not a shocker - if you do not agree on the cause, you will often not agree on the solution), but I never absolved Disney of the responsibility to provide a clean park. I merely explained what IN MY OPINION may be contributing factors to the cause.

And I will be more clear. I BELIEVE that the general public (that's you, me, and that person over there) bear SOME of the responsibility as well. That trash was generated. It was deposited. The mess was created. It was (or was not) reported. That does not absolve Disney of responsibility too. Believe it or not, there can be more than one responsible party!
for the record, i never called one person out, nor do i believe the public doesnt bear some responsibility. People are just nasty, not you, but the way people leave trash everywhere.

And I will be more clear. I BELIEVE that the general public (that's you, me, and that person over there) bear SOME of the responsibility as well. That trash was generated. It was deposited. The mess was created. It was (or was not) reported. That does not absolve Disney of responsibility too. Believe it or not, there can be more than one responsible party!

So in a movie theater, is it my responsibility to report that an empty seat below me didnt take their trash out....even though someone literally cleans the theater between movies? If so, shouldnt I be compensated since I am doing the job the employee didnt?

Maybe they missed it...but isnt it the job of the supervisor to hire attentive people and also follow up behind them to make sure they are succeeding?

If they are too busy, doesnt that just say they need more people?

If they cant hire more people, doesnt that say they need to pay more money or offer more perks to achieve that?

Disney has the ability to pay pt custodial staff $25 an hour if they wanted to and it wouldnt really have a huge impact on the companies bottom like. They make a conscious choice to pay $14 an hour and their hand was forced to get to that level.

If they paid more they would get more staff and mpre dedicated staff and none of these issues would be happening.

The blame for the overflowing trash cans is 100% Disney's. You can't blame the guests for this one, sorry. They didn't bring the trash from home. It was generated AT the parks, largely from food/beverage purchased while there. It is Disney's job, and their job only, to adequately and efficiently remove the trash that THEY help create in their own parks.

And of course there are going to be guests who come back from a trip and report here that "I never saw any overflowing trash cans," and that may be THEIR experience, but it does not negate the experience of another person who DID see it. It's kinda like racism...just because YOU haven't personally been a victim of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist for others.

ONE overflowing trash can is an anomaly, and not a big deal, but we aren't talking about one. Enough people have seen multiples in various parks over the last several weeks. It's a clear problem and in NO way the guests fault.

I would blame the pandemic for some of these outlooks on basic things because people are just exhausted, at their wits end, cranky but I just can't :( :( :( It's not pandemic related unfortunately

Six Flags is insulted.
:)

lol, I went to my local one about six or seven years ago. The state that it was in was dismal, the parking lot was covered in weeds, paint was falling off of rides, trash everywhere. It even smelled horrible.

Never again... WDW spoils the hell out of us in regards to "theme parks". But obviously now it seems to be in need of some TLC.

But obviously now it seems to be in need of some TLC.
I had been hoping that they would take time during their closure to do some stuff without having people in the parks but it seemed expenditure-wise they didn't do a whole lot, though for the most part I was thinking ride sprucing up (since you don't have constant ridership) and whatnot. Trash though is less about TLC though.

I had been hoping that they would take time during their closure to do some stuff without having people in the parks but it seemed expenditure-wise they didn't do a whole lot, though for the most part I was thinking ride sprucing up (since you don't have constant ridership) and whatnot. Trash though is less about TLC though.

And the bonus was that it would mostly have been outdoor work. All exteriors could have had a good clean and paint touch-up, and I was shocked that it didn't happen.

I just saw some articles about other major companies (McDonald’s, Cheesecake Factory, White Castle, etc.) struggling to hire people and resorting to contacting people who applied years ago and who they rejected. These are mostly for the type of hourly jobs we’re talking about Disney being short-staffed on.

Just a datapoint that I think emphasizes the tough environment employers are facing right now.
Exactly, Disney doesn't have enough CMs, why are they increasing guest capacity? It is their fault the parks are dirty!

If so, shouldnt I be compensated since I am doing the job the employee didnt?

If you are walking down your sidewalk, and see a piece of trash, do you ignore it and wait for some city person to pick it up? Do you expect the city has people driving around doing that? Do you charge your neighbor whose house was closest to it? Maybe you send a bill to the birds in the area?

I am not saying you should be walking around Disney picking up trash. But if you see a CM and say "hey, I noticed that trash can over there is a little full", did that really hurt you that much? It helped them.

How you treat people and how you treat the earth and how you respond to providing help to others that costs you nothing says more about you than about Disney.

And again, I am not absolving Disney of responsibility. No one here is saying that there should be overflowing trash cans and no one here is saying that is acceptable. But arguing that you should be compensated because it's not your job says volumes about you and nothing about them.

If you are walking down your sidewalk, and see a piece of trash, do you ignore it and wait for some city person to pick it up? Do you expect the city has people driving around doing that? Do you charge your neighbor whose house was closest to it? Maybe you send a bill to the birds in the area?

I am not saying you should be walking around Disney picking up trash. But if you see a CM and say "hey, I noticed that trash can over there is a little full", did that really hurt you that much? It helped them.

How you treat people and how you treat the earth and how you respond to providing help to others that costs you nothing says more about you than about Disney.

And again, I am not absolving Disney of responsibility. No one here is saying that there should be overflowing trash cans and no one here is saying that is acceptable. But arguing that you should be compensated because it's not your job says volumes about you and nothing about them.

Is Disney allowing people to walk around for free and only pay if they ride the attractions?

Disney is not a public street.

Disney charged people $100 plus a day to walk down their street.

I will not do someones job for them when they are choosing not to do it for themselves. I am their paying GUEST!

So in a movie theater, is it my responsibility to report that an empty seat below me didnt take their trash out....even though someone literally cleans the theater between movies? If so, shouldnt I be compensated since I am doing the job the employee didnt?

Maybe they missed it...but isnt it the job of the supervisor to hire attentive people and also follow up behind them to make sure they are succeeding?

If they are too busy, doesnt that just say they need more people?

If they cant hire more people, doesnt that say they need to pay more money or offer more perks to achieve that?

Disney has the ability to pay pt custodial staff $25 an hour if they wanted to and it wouldnt really have a huge impact on the companies bottom like. They make a conscious choice to pay $14 an hour and their hand was forced to get to that level.

If they paid more they would get more staff and mpre dedicated staff and none of these issues would be happening.

If you went and cleaned the whole theater, then sure, they should pay you. Telling someone that you noticed the trash is in no way doing any kind of "work". LOL OMG

And the bonus was that it would mostly have been outdoor work. All exteriors could have had a good clean and paint touch-up, and I was shocked that it didn't happen.

I don't think that it had anything to do with money. Do you all forget what it was like? No one was going anywhere and except for a few places, like grocery stores, no one was leaving their house. It could be that the companies that are contracted to do those things where no going to put their employees at risk. Now we know that being outside is safer, but back then, we didn't know anything. It's only been a year, how have you all forgotten what it was like?

I don't think that it had anything to do with money. Do you all forget what it was like? No one was going anywhere and except for a few places, like grocery stores, no one was leaving their house. It could be that the companies that are contracted to do those things where no going to put their employees at risk. Now we know that being outside is safer, but back then, we didn't know anything. It's only been a year, how have you all forgotten what it was like?
In this case as least what I was talking about the issue was Disney not wanting pay for the construction/work in part; understandable to a point because well the parks revenue with it being closed and all. There was actually a construction company that was relying on work from Disney that lost out another one sued Disney for pre-pandemic and current pandemic issues and breaches of contract. They had covid-protocols and all that restricted some work but that was more on Disney on not doing some of the work voluntarily. Disney laid off a bunch of their contractors (bricklayers, carpenters, ironworkers, landscapers, painters, plumbers, etc) it wasn't the other way around.

In many other places yes you're absolutely right people weren't going anywhere but in the construction world that was not the same. My husband's company is a global construction company and his division he is in is power. They needed projects to continue, they wanted projects to continue, in Michigan, the only state they had issues in, they had to file a petition to allow work to continue on a power plant they were constructing. Aside from supply issues and any covid protocols the construction world didn't stop and it wasn't the same situation you had with retail, hotel, and restaurant employees.

In this case as least what I was talking about the issue was Disney not wanting pay for the construction/work in part; understandable to a point because well the parks revenue with it being closed and all. There was actually a construction company that was relying on work from Disney that lost out another one sued Disney for pre-pandemic and current pandemic issues and breaches of contract. They had covid-protocols and all that restricted some work but that was more on Disney on not doing some of the work voluntarily. Disney laid off a bunch of their contractors (bricklayers, carpenters, ironworkers, landscapers, painters, plumbers, etc) it wasn't the other way around.

In many other places yes you're absolutely right people weren't going anywhere but in the construction world that was not the same. My husband's company is a global construction company and his division he is in is power. They needed projects to continue, they wanted projects to continue, in Michigan, the only state they had issues in, they had to file a petition to allow work to continue on a power plant they were constructing. Aside from supply issues and any covid protocols the construction world didn't stop and it wasn't the same situation you had with retail, hotel, and restaurant employees.

I can see how a utility company would need to keep working. But that is not the same as a theme park. I know everything stopped in the city that I live in. It as like a ghost town except for the grocery stores and some fast food places. At least for those first few months.

Disney World was closed for only 4 months. It is not that they immediately had people and paint etc. ready to start maintenance. They decided to reopen in July for the public. They could have decided to stay closed longer to TLC the place.

It will take a few years if it was the right decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter