Are VHS tapes worth selling at a garage sale?

Depends what is on the tapes. If the tapes are of movies/programs that are readily available in more contemporary formats the value is essentially zero. There are a few things that were recorded or sold on VHS that aren't otherwise available and might have some value but those are very limited.

Oh OK I see, I didn't realize it was for converting, I thought you meant it was just for multi-playback. I just wanted to point it out because many people don't realize that media like that has a limited lifespan and end up losing their valuable memories (I know a few).

As for the main topic at hand -- commercially released VHS movies -- typically worthless unless they have been something with limited release or very hard to find for a number of years. A lot of people try to list Disney VHS tapes for some insane price on eBay but simply filtering by "Sold Listings" or "Completed Listings" will tell the real story of what their true value is (typically less than 6 dollars, sometimes as little as $1).

I would love to find someone who has the whole whole set of Kissyfur cartoons. That was DS's favorite cartoon, when he was little. He watched them so many times that they no longer work. I'd love to be able to find them to copy onto an USB drive to give to his kids, if he has any. I've been looking for years, but haven't found them. There's still a market for VHS, but I guess you have to find the right person at the right time. Unfortunately, I haven't found the right person yet.

A lot of mini-marts etc. still record their security cameras on VHS, so there are folks still not upgrading. Not to mention TV stations that still use VHS loggers to record all their programming in case they need to check to see what happened when there is an incident on the air.
Of course, security camera recorders and VHS loggers are a special form of equipment that will allow you to put a LOT of content onto a tape (say 24 hours onto a "standard" 2 hour tape). So it's not like they'll be able to be used in a typical home setting.

If you haven't already, I would advise digitizing the home movies for safe-keeping. VHS tape does not and is not designed to last forever (same goes for CDs). I digitized all of the home movies from when I was a kid (the tapes range from 1984 to about 1997) and a few of the older ones are already beginning to show signs of failure -- the tape has become stretched/worn, parts inside the tape cassette have broken, degraded picture, etc. I still have most of the tapes but I don't expect them to be a reliable archive of home movies that are irreplaceable. Just a thought. I didn't spend $$ and send mine away, used a VCR and some digital capture software on my laptop, and keep everything backed up in multiple locations (DVDs, external hard drives and on a personal hosting server along with all of my photos and videos of my own kids). It's the only way I can hear my grandmother's voice anymore so I guess this is an important topic to me!

I've thought about this, but was scared to send precious videos away to have it done. I didn't realize I could do it at home.

A lot of mini-marts etc. still record their security cameras on VHS, so there are folks still not upgrading.

That's not true either, at least not in any of the areas I'm familiar with. I can't remember the last time I saw or heard one tell me that they have their surveillance on VHS. They're pretty much all digital now.

I'm glad you like VHS, I like nostalgic things too. But as a PP said, the players aren't made anymore, and almost nobody uses them on a regular basis. It's just old tech from an era long gone by.

I've thought about this, but was scared to send precious videos away to have it done. I didn't realize I could do it at home.

I used this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...DDbPSahJPujFEfcCNwbo-PG7i9eki9PcaAq4CEALw_wcB

You need a functional VCR . It converts to mpg format which you can edit if you need to, then use DVD burning software to make a DVD, or just keep them backed up on a hard drive or whatever you would want to do. It takes some time to transfer it all but for me was worth it. I made copies for my parents too.

That's not true either, at least not in any of the areas I'm familiar with. I can't remember the last time I saw or heard one tell me that they have their surveillance on VHS. They're pretty much all digital now.

I'm glad you like VHS, I like nostalgic things too. But as a PP said, the players aren't made anymore, and almost nobody uses them on a regular basis. It's just old tech from an era long gone by.

Here the frustration for law enforcement is how many of these stores have NO equipment of any kind to record the cameras. Just cameras. First thing we ask is if they are releasing the video from whatever incident happened. Off the record, they usually will say there was no video to release despite the cameras.

Last edited:
Of course, security camera recorders and VHS loggers are a special form of equipment that will allow you to put a LOT of content onto a tape (say 24 hours onto a "standard" 2 hour tape). So it's not like they'll be able to be used in a typical home setting.
Not necessarily. 20th market. Network affiliate. Owned by major group. 3 VHS logger decks set to 6 hours each (SLP in VHS terms). See below. Same drill at my wife's station. Old tech but it works.

Attachments

• PHOTO.jpg.jpeg
    PHOTO.jpg.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 4
My parents still use their VHS player & watch VHS tapes. They even have a separate VHS tape rewinder, so they don't "wear out" their VHS player. LOL!

And my mom won't get rid of any of their VHS tapes. When the grandkids are over, they watch movies & old TV shows in the VHS format.

It's been several years, but I did sell some VHS tapes at a yard sale. I think I sold them for around 50 cents to a $1.00. I sold some Disney ones for $5.00. And I've given away/donated many as well. I'm not sure any VHS tapes would sell now though... unless you just happened upon the right buyer. Some older or home daycares may still use VHS players.

My parents still use their VHS player & watch VHS tapes. They even have a separate VHS tape rewinder, so they don't "wear out" their VHS player. LOL!

And my mom won't get rid of any of their VHS tapes. When the grandkids are over, they watch movies & old TV shows in the VHS format.

It's been several years, but I did sell some VHS tapes at a yard sale. I think I sold them for around 50 cents to a $1.00. I sold some Disney ones for $5.00. And I've given away/donated many as well. I'm not sure any VHS tapes would sell now though... unless you just happened upon the right buyer. Some older or home daycares may still use VHS players.

I gave my mom the VHS deck I bought in 1979 years ago. I used to record History Channel stuff for her. When she passed away in 2013 I sold it at a garage sale, still worked perfectly. Got $25 for it, which is a lot since a new one these days is under $70. Of course, I paid $725 for it in 1979!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter