Are VHS tapes worth selling at a garage sale?

ADisneyQueen

DIS Veteran
I have tons of old VHS tapes ( lots of Disney ones). Are they worth selling at a garage sale and for how much? 50 cents? What are other people doing with these since no one uses them anymore?

I have tons of old VHS tapes ( lots of Disney ones). Are they worth selling at a garage sale and for how much? 50 cents? What are other people doing with these since no one uses them anymore?
I've seen them at garage sales. Not sure if they sold, or not. I have sold a couple of them, I think for a $1.00. There are still people who watch tapes.

Some Disney VHS were going for a killing on eBay... I'd check what you have!

ETA: Sorry- I thought I had read something about that but apparently it wasn't true.

Last edited:

Our local library and Goodwill store won’t take them. Schools won’t have the equipment to play them. Putting them out for free can’t hurt, but I tossed ours years ago.

Best thing about the old Disney tapes in the hard plastic cases is the artwork. Unfortunately I haven't figured out a way to creatively display said artwork.

And I strongly disagree that "nobody" wants them. They are still making and selling brand new VHS decks. SOMEONE must be buying them.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...d=kwd-296598223180&ref=pd_sl_6x9xp629u7_e_p37

Sure, there is someone, somewhere who collects them. I'm sure there's some enthusiast group, and that's cool. There are people who want and collect 8 tracks, Beta tapes, Sony Walkman and rotary phones. But short of those isolated collectors, the general public doesn't want them.

Sure, there is someone, somewhere who collects them. I'm sure there's some enthusiast group, and that's cool. There are people who want and collect 8 tracks, Beta tapes, Sony Walkman and rotary phones. But short of those isolated collectors, the general public doesn't want them.

They still make the machines, so enough of the general public wants VHS to justify making them.

I realize asking price, and selling price may not be close, but poke around before you do anything.
You might have a Disney VHS worth up to $7,000.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beauty-and...172299607118?epid=3180313&hash=item281ddb5c4e

And I strongly disagree that "nobody" wants them. They are still making and selling brand new VHS decks. SOMEONE must be buying them.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...d=kwd-296598223180&ref=pd_sl_6x9xp629u7_e_p37

They stopped making them in 2016. Anything selling as “new” would be old stock that just hasn’t been sold yet.
In a related note several major chains are getting out of the CD selling business too. It’s amazing how quickly streaming has taken over. We haven’t bought a new CD or BluRay in at least 5 years.

They stopped making them in 2016. Anything selling as “new” would be old stock that just hasn’t been sold yet.
In a related note several major chains are getting out of the CD selling business too. It’s amazing how quickly streaming has taken over. We haven’t bought a new CD or BluRay in at least 5 years.

I bought a VHS/CD/DVD/AUDIO CASSETTE/AM-FM Radio combo in 2016, so I'm set since I have a lot of videos of my kids growing up on VHS AND VHS-C.

A lot of mini-marts etc. still record their security cameras on VHS, so there are folks still not upgrading. Not to mention TV stations that still use VHS loggers to record all their programming in case they need to check to see what happened when there is an incident on the air.

I am a kdg teacher & we use VHS tapes for indoor recess. I'm always interested in good classic Disney VHS. So you never know. I don't garage sale but I think my assistant said she usually sees VHS tapes for around 50 cents at garage sales.

Last edited:
We still watch our VHS tapes. We recently bought a combination VHS/DVD player. We have a lot of DVD’s, but even more VHS tapes. A friend of mine has had his favorite VHS tapes converted to a DVD.

There are still people who want them and will buy them. Many of the schools where I teach still use the TV/VCR on a cart in their classrooms. Only the new schools have the fancy newer technology.

It won’t hurt to put them up for sale. I can’t be the only person who still watches VHS tapes.

I bought a VHS/CD/DVD/AUDIO CASSETTE/AM-FM Radio combo in 2016, so I'm set since I have a lot of videos of my kids growing up on VHS AND VHS-C.

If you haven't already, I would advise digitizing the home movies for safe-keeping. VHS tape does not and is not designed to last forever (same goes for CDs). I digitized all of the home movies from when I was a kid (the tapes range from 1984 to about 1997) and a few of the older ones are already beginning to show signs of failure -- the tape has become stretched/worn, parts inside the tape cassette have broken, degraded picture, etc. I still have most of the tapes but I don't expect them to be a reliable archive of home movies that are irreplaceable. Just a thought. I didn't spend $$ and send mine away, used a VCR and some digital capture software on my laptop, and keep everything backed up in multiple locations (DVDs, external hard drives and on a personal hosting server along with all of my photos and videos of my own kids). It's the only way I can hear my grandmother's voice anymore so I guess this is an important topic to me!

If you haven't already, I would advise digitizing the home movies for safe-keeping. VHS tape does not and is not designed to last forever (same goes for CDs). I digitized all of the home movies from when I was a kid (the tapes range from 1984 to about 1997) and a few of the older ones are already beginning to show signs of failure -- the tape has become stretched/worn, parts inside the tape cassette have broken, degraded picture, etc. I still have most of the tapes but I don't expect them to be a reliable archive of home movies that are irreplaceable. Just a thought. I didn't spend $$ and send mine away, used a VCR and some digital capture software on my laptop, and keep everything backed up in multiple locations (DVDs, external hard drives and on a personal hosting server along with all of my photos and videos of my own kids). It's the only way I can hear my grandmother's voice anymore so I guess this is an important topic to me!

As I posted above, I purchased a combo unit that will burn DVDs and CDs. Digitizing is expensive. That's why my station still archives on DVD. They keep looking into options, but just too expensive. Same with the station my wife works at. We only keep about 7 days worth of video on the server, that's all the room we are willing to pay for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter