Are they still seating only 1 family/party per table?

Got off the Wonder on the 23rd. According to what I heard, the passenger count was anywhere from 1200 to 1400 total. It was still pretty much 1 family per table, but the tables were close enough for you to talk to the other guests. There were lots of open tables, I think our servers were only had 3 tables total with a total of 10 people (2 4 tops and our 2) for first seating.

Psy

Got off the Wonder on the 23rd. According to what I heard, the passenger count was anywhere from 1200 to 1400 total. It was still pretty much 1 family per table, but the tables were close enough for you to talk to the other guests. There were lots of open tables, I think our servers were only had 3 tables total with a total of 10 people (2 4 tops and our 2) for first seating.

Psy
We were also on this cruise. Our first three nights our servers only had our table of 8. After that they also had a table of two. Lots of empty tables around us each night.

Just off the Dream today. 2700 passengers, seated with just our party and other tables appeared to be the same.

Said they expect 3200 by next week so it may change soon.
Thanks for the update. We are on the Dream next week so I'll be curious to see how they handle it.

Just embarked on our second B2B on the Disney Magic.

Went to see the Dining Team as we had some Palo reservations that we wanted to move, and also be seated on a private table. We already were and out of curiousity, I asked if it still was the case for every parties, and they confirmed nobody was sitting with strangers on this voyage.

We usually travel with friends so we sit with them. Our Magic cruise was just our family so we were seated with a family from Brazil who fortunately spoke English. We both had teenage sons. Ours is very outgoing and theirs was quite shy. Each night after dinner our son grabbed theirs and they went to Vibe. On the last night the family thanked him for including their son as he originally said he didn't want to go to Vibe. Our son just assumed he would want to go. They said their son had the best time with ours. We also enjoyed hearing all about Brazil. It was a good match.

We usually travel with friends so we sit with them. Our Magic cruise was just our family so we were seated with a family from Brazil who fortunately spoke English. We both had teenage sons. Ours is very outgoing and theirs was quite shy. Each night after dinner our son grabbed theirs and they went to Vibe. On the last night the family thanked him for including their son as he originally said he didn't want to go to Vibe. Our son just assumed he would want to go. They said their son had the best time with ours. We also enjoyed hearing all about Brazil. It was a good match.
So you were recently seated with a family you didn't know? When was this?

Is the maitre d' still available on embarkation day at a specific time/place? ( I always "request" a private table for 2 and I like to check on our table size before the 1st dinner.)

Just spoke to DCL phone rep today and he said as of June 1 they are no longer restricting capacity and will be back to shared tables. I put in a request for a private table. Fingers crossed.

ETA: To be clear, he said shared tables as necessary.

Last edited:
Yes they were on the Dream this past weekend and they also increased capacity so the tables were very close and cramped. We couldn’t talk because we could hear everything on both sides of us were saying and drowned us out,
When the tables end up being that close, there really is no point in separating them. I imagine that it makes is harder for the servers to get around. I rather sit at a bigger table with another family and have more spacing in between the tables, then have the server's rear end graze against me as they try to pass by. LOL

People who want private tables disagree.
When the tables are inches away from each other, how is it any different then sharing a table. We are talking a few inches. It seems like such a ridiculous thing to waste your energy on.

When the tables are inches away from each other, how is it any different then sharing a table. We are talking a few inches. It seems like such a ridiculous thing to waste your energy on.

I have requested a private table for my September cruise. There is a difference between sharing a table and a table close beside me.

A private table means that the server automatically will serve me as soon as I sit down, and I wont have the issues others have mentioned where servers wait for table mates before starting the service.

A private table means I dont have to even acknowledge the other people. I can spend my entire meal reading a book with headphones in if I want to.

A private table means that if I want to skip the appetizers and go straight to entrees, I dont have to wait while my table mates order and eat their appetizers before I get my entrée.

I have requested a private table for my September cruise. There is a difference between sharing a table and a table close beside me.

A private table means that the server automatically will serve me as soon as I sit down, and I wont have the issues others have mentioned where servers wait for table mates before starting the service.

A private table means I dont have to even acknowledge the other people. I can spend my entire meal reading a book with headphones in if I want to.

A private table means that if I want to skip the appetizers and go straight to entrees, I dont have to wait while my table mates order and eat their appetizers before I get my entrée.
You don't have to wait for your tablemates to be served. All you have to do is let the server know that you don't want to wait on the other party and it is no big deal. I do this every cruise. I also will read my book on my solo trips. I don't know why you feel that you can't do all of those things with other people sitting at the table.

You don't have to wait for your tablemates to be served. All you have to do is let the server know that you don't want to wait on the other party and it is no big deal.
Having a private table means that I dont even have to do that. The server automatically knows.

I do this every cruise. I also will read my book on my solo trips. I don't know why you feel that you can't do all of those things with other people sitting at the table.
Why dont you understand that some people just dont want to be sat with other people, regardless of the fact that you as a solo do?

You don't have to wait for your tablemates to be served. All you have to do is let the server know that you don't want to wait on the other party and it is no big deal. I do this every cruise. I also will read my book on my solo trips. I don't know why you feel that you can't do all of those things with other people sitting at the table.
It sounds like you are not willing to let people chose what works best for them. If you can have a shared table, and if other guests can request a private table, isn't it the best of both world?

Eventually it would be great if this could be an option, like we already can pick between first/second seating.

Didn't realise DCL did table mates/ mixing. Our Cruise sailed at less capacity so perhaps there wasn't a need.

Have been on many other cruise lines though and dined with others and it has only proved to be a problem (okay not a problem just more annoying) once. 😅

When the tables end up being that close, there really is no point in separating them. I imagine that it makes is harder for the servers to get around. I rather sit at a bigger table with another family and have more spacing in between the tables, then have the server's rear end graze against me as they try to pass by. LOL
Those few inches in between tables make a big difference. You don’t feel obligated to make small talk with strangers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!