Are the lounge chair in front of the pools on the Wonder that fabulous....?

lsteadman

DIS Veteran
All this week on a local Twin Cities news station one of the reporters, Rusty, has been live from the Disney Wonder. This morning Rusty talk about the controversy on the Disney Wonder.

Apparently, there was a woman saving chairs by the swimming pool early in the morning. Now mind you.....I was watching this at 5:20 a.m. CST. Rusty mention that there was "controversy earlier in the morning regarding the lounge chairs by the pool." As Rusty, got out of the pool he walk-up to a woman asked the woman if she really need to save a chairs this earlier in the morning. The woman said, "Yes!" Then the camera moves around the area and every lounge chair had towels, books, etc. on them to "save" them; however, no one else was in sight but this one woman and Rusty.

The controversy was another person on the ship was pissed because this woman was "saving" chairs and attempted to removed all the towels to show how pissed she was.

Did anyone else from the Twin Cities area see the show this morning? The only thing I could think was how embarrasing for Disney. They should address this issues.

Now, what I don't get is why is it so important to save a chair. My first Disney Cruise is in January 2005 but I want to see if I should add the lounge chairs to my attraction list :D Do the chairs change your car oil when you get back? Does Disney offer special services to people sitting in those chairs? Do the chairs give massages and I don't have to do the reservation rush to the spa when boarding? Does these chairs come with a "hot, young" sexy server?

Please help at first time Disney Cruiser understand why this chairs are so hot :confused: ! I don't want to miss anything on the cruise that is that important :p .

Sound off - let me know why you must save a chair so I can make sure I get mine too! :rolleyes:

It is not right ... i believe there is a sign telling u that the chairs r not suppose to be saved............

Where else can you get that interesting zebra pattern on your back and thighs, after sitting on vinyl in your bathing suit for hours? That's not to be missed!

:rolleyes:

Personally, I'd prefer the padded ones on deck 4...

We saw this when we'd go swimming first thing in the morning - like 6-6:30am, there were already towels out there. DESPITE the fact that printed RIGHT ON THE CHAIRS was a message about being courteous in regards to sharing...

Who knows. I didn't even bother trying, there was so much else I'd rather be doing than sitting in one place, but I did notice and comment about it.

I too have this question which I have asked previously on these boards. The replies have been that getting a chair is not too much of an issue. But if that many people are saving chairs and then not using them, then it is an issue. We are all on vacation and want to enjoy ourselves and having a confrontation over use of a lounge chair is not on my itinerary.

DCL does ask that you not save chairs.

The chairs on deck 9 do fill up, especially on sea days. Unfortunately, a lot of the "filling up" is due to people placing objects on chairs when they aren't sitting there.

I don't see anything wrong with leaving something on your chair while you tend to your child in the pool...but blocking 6 chairs for your party, when 5 of them aren't even on the pool deck is a different matter (and it happens all the time).

However, DCL and it's cast members aren't police. They do their best by asking (in signs and in the Navigator) that you not save pool chairs or save seats in the theatre. A cast member will occasionally ask if a chair is available (if it looks free). However, there is really no good way for them to enforce the "no saving" policy. Bottom line, some people are reasonable, and some are just jerks.

That's nuts. First of all, we were on the Wonder last April (Easter break). We had no probelm getting a chair. Why would someone want to save 6 (or more) chairs anyway?

We are a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 young kids). When we arrive at the pool we find a chair (lounge or regular..doesn't matter) and put all of our stuff on 1 chair. Unfortunately, with little kids, there is a lot of stuff. camera, video camera, 5 pairs of sandles, towels, hats, cover-ups, sun screen, room key, etc. I wouldn't even bother taking a chair (since we don't use it a lot) but we need someplace to put all of this stuff while we are in the pool. Anyway, I try to take as little space as I need. I think it's rude to hog chairs that you won't be using.

Jess

I have not taken my first cruise yet, however, it is approaching rapidly! I don't know about the chairs on disney cruise, but I do live in a resort town called Ocean City, New Jersey. I take my twin boys to the water park there several times throughout the summer and I always always always save chairs. Not to be rude or anything like that but you need a place to sit down with the kids when you get tired. The chairs are always gone by 10:00 a.m. I don't oversave chairs, just enough for our family to lay in when we need a break from swimming. I see nothing wrong with that and seems like everyone does it. I think if it is a concern for anyone about having a chair to sit on at the pool, get there early and get one!

Isn't there a sign clearly printed on the chair, "Do Not save chairs". There was last time we were on the Wonder. I know what I would have done - Politely ask if anyone is sitting here, if no take the items off the chair and sit down. Is someone told me they were saving them, then I would say, if they are not here they do not get a chair, sorry.

Annae
I don't see a problem with saving a chair at a water park because you are there. I do have a problem with people saving chairs early in the morning then coming back later. I think the problem is that these people are not even at the pool. When we were on the Wonder last Jan we could not get even one chair during our at sea day. There were very few adults in the pool yet every chair had something on it. I have a problem when someone reserves a chair then comes back hours later to use the pool!

When we cruised this past Thanksgiving, I don't even remember it being an issue. We'd generally take one (maybe two) chairs for my family of four when we'd set up for a stay at the pool. We rarely actually sat in them (DW did mostly), but used them for a base of operations while we were using the pools for however long we were there.

People can be real jerks, however, and will go to any extent to ensure that they get what they perceive to be "the best" regardless of how that may affect others.

Life is too short for me to waste valuable energy worrying about such things, however.

Geez I'm usually up every morning at 6:00 am anyway...
I like to go for a walk so it might be worth a walk around collecting towels and putting them in the "used towel bin" just to start everyone's morning off nicely. ;)

Cheers,
Grumbo

While your at it, you might want to make sure any personal items left behind get turned in to lost and found. It would be a shame if someone lost something.

Please note that I was saying I don't understand why the chairs are so important. I definitely will not be spending time on my first Disney cruise "saving" a chair. Most importantly, I won't be there earlier. I get up early every day to go to work. I am sleeping in late on vacation.

I plan on spending my time taking pictures, eating, drinking, having fun, eating, and then I'll probably eat again :tongue: !

Grumbo and crisi I think you are on to something there. A little off topic, but when we were at WDW in Oct, a family of 7 tried to reserve a whole bench ( not the center row but the next row over) for themselves. They weren't saving it for anyone else they
"just didn't want to feel crowded". I thought it was funny when they got a talking to from a CM and had to scoot together.

Pacha

Grumbo,

I am sure that the cast members will appreciate your help keeping the ship nice and neat ;)

Great idea Grumbo.
I wouldn't mind helping tidying up in the am either. :teeth:

It's just not right to save chairs at that hour to come back 3-4 hours later.

KSTP breaks another controversial story!

This didn't seem to be a problem on our 3-Day cruise. Since the ship isn't at sea for much of the cruise, I don't think a lot of people spend a lot time at the pools. It may be more of an issue on the 7-Day cruises.

The family pool was pretty busy, but our kids preferred to stay in the clubs rather than swim, so DW and I went to the adult pool a couple times and didn't have a problem finding a chair there.

I don't have a problem with someone leaving their things on a chair while they are in the pool or getting a quick snack, but if you're leaving the pool area, I think you give up rights to the chair.

I agree with everyone who said that if you are not in the pool area you shouldn't reserve a chair. Why anyone would waste their time to go to the pool just to put something on a chair and leave is beyond me!

If I was ready to be seated at the pool and this women had a whole bunch of chairs reserved for her family, I would respect her wishes for a short amount of time and then if they didn't show up, I would simply find a crew member or nicely ask her to remove her stuff as saving chairs is not allowed. Knowing me, if she didn't, I would just sit down and let her try and move me!! She could run and get a CM, but I'm sure they would be on my side.

What if I were lounging on my chair all morning and then in the afternoon wanted to scoot down to Topsiders/Beach Blanket Buffet, grab some lunch and bring it back to the pool to eat on my lounger. Is this bad?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter