Are the All Star Resorts THAT bad?

Originally posted by billybaruch1
POR and CBR and CSR have exterior walkways. Are they resort motels? Motel (motor hotel) is a funny word, isn't it? :wave2: ::yes::

Yes, technically they are.

Anne

Originally posted by ducklite
Yes, technically they are.

Anne

You seem to have left your sense of humor somewhere. Maybe you could look for it in the INTERIOR corridors. Just a suggestion. ::MickeyMo

I never imagined for one moment I was in a "MOTEL" at POR or CSR. :sunny:

Motel or hotel, interior or exterior corridors..... It's all a moot point now because my 6 year old GD got cold feet about being that far away from her parents. So WDW is off for this year at least.:( I'm sure she'll go someday and we will certainly stay on-site. Let's just hope I'm still young enough to keep up with her.

Instead we'll be driving to the west coast and taking a pair of 9 year old GS's to Disneyland. It's a bit of a let-down for me because nothing compares to WDW. Plus there is less info out there for planning purposes. Now - back to square one.

GrandmaP

I'm so sorry to hear that your trip was cancelled with your DGD. Look at it this way, she had the courage to say she wasn't ready. When I was a kid, my aunt took my DS and I to Cedar Pointe for the weekend. At 3AM Friday, my sister freaked(she was 9yo). It was so bad we had to leave that morning. I'm not bitter anymore. It's been 20yrs.:rolleyes: I'm sure you want your DGD to remember your trip as a wonderful experience,and not have tears and wishes she was at home w/Mom and Dad. You'll still have a great time at Disneyland. The trip with DGD will be even better when she's ready. Think of the extra planning time.;) Have a great time!

You'll have a geat time at DLR. If you want a board that's oriented more towards DLR, try laughingplace.com. You'll enjoy it. We spent 4 full days in the two parks and I could have used another day.

Thank you for the encouragement. This has been an emotional roller coaster - on one minute, off the next.

Now I'm considering having the west coast GS fly to Ontario then we could still do the same trip. The cost of flights in Canada are outrageous and I still have to convince DH and GD's mother that he's old enough to fly alone. :earseek: It's doable but you'd better cross your fingers just in case. I really think he'd have so much more fun in Orlando - and so would Grandma.::yes::

::MickeyMo Well if you end up at DLR you'll still have a wonderful time. As you can see I LOVE DLR!:teeth: You can stay at the DLH kids LOVE it and add Universal or Knott's Berry Farm to your trip. Along with laughingplace you can also check mouseplanet for lots of DLR info.

Whichever way you go I hope this trip goes without a hitch and is wonderful!

Hi,
I just entered this thread and was actually chatting in the Universal Studios section. Now that I am not blacked out with my pass, I can share my fun facts, etc. Well I will start off by commenting on this thread. If you are at all worried about your kids not remembering it, then get the mind out of the garbage. First of all, it is said that children remember more because they are not only in the learning stages, but they have a brand new brain. The pureness of the child's brain is wonderful. Children remember so much you would be amazed. Now about this thread I can relate this to a recent thing. See where my mom works (yes I am only 17) she had a friend that took her 5 year old son, and left the 1 year old daughter in daycare!!!! Ok that is wow crazy. That should not be. She said that her daughter wouldn't remember anyway. BS she just didn't want to pay anymore than she had to. I mean for crying out loud, the girl gets in the park for free. If you are worried at all if the kids won't remember, then video tape the parks because trust me, the kids will say "oh I remember that" immediately. They might not know how they know it, but they will remember as the film is rolling. I remember when I was 3 every little tiny detail. Now how did I know all that, because humans remember every single thing they ever did in their life, they really just need a little push to bring those memories back to the top of the brain.

As for all stars, I will say this. For the price of it, it honestly isn't worth it right? Well, half right. See the price should be way less, but remember Disney has you in their little trap because you are staying on Disney property. Trust me, knowing you are close to the parks and that you are coming back to a CCCCLLEEEAAAANNN room is a good feeling. Those hotels outside Disney's land are bad news. Remember, Grand Floridian, Poly, and the Contemporary were the same price as the all stars. Those so called "luxury" hotels are not nearly worth their money, but Disney expands and Demand goes up so getting the $109 - $129 rate aint that bad. See I am saying all this because I am a Universal Studios snob. Trust me, for $169 (40 bucks more) they treat you the way Disney should have done it. I think Disney got so big, they aren't looking around at all they own. They need to be nice to the little guy you know. Well that is what I gotta say and I can't wait to chat more. Bye

Originally posted by GrandmaP
Thank you for the encouragement. This has been an emotional roller coaster - on one minute, off the next.

Now I'm considering having the west coast GS fly to Ontario then we could still do the same trip. The cost of flights in Canada are outrageous and I still have to convince DH and GD's mother that he's old enough to fly alone. :earseek: It's doable but you'd better cross your fingers just in case. I really think he'd have so much more fun in Orlando - and so would Grandma.::yes::

Keep an eye on Westjet's fares, there have been some incredible deals to be had there lately :)

Anne

Thanks Ducklite. I was talking with an agent at WestJet yesterday (very helpful people). The best price I can get for a non-stop flight is $677.49 CDN. And there are only 9 unaccompanied minor seats left. But if his Mom lefts his come, I'll take it.

I'll keep you posted. She should be calling me sometime tonight.

Does this defination really matter !? :confused: The rooms are clean you are immeresed in Disney, staff freindly and accomdating. Each time we have stayed outside of Disney, Comfort Inn, Ramada Renn., something was extremey lacking. Allstar is always clean, I have asked for and gotten 8 extra pillows, all soft and not punched llttle rocks, not the same at the other places. I have always felt safe at the pools with the life guards, at the other hotels it was swim at your own risk:eek: If some aloof snob choses not to go to Allstars and even put it down, then let them pay 3x as much for virtually the smae thing. It's better off without them.:wave: We just came back last Sunday, and I am dying to go back.:hyper:

he he I'm sorry are we talking about the same hotel. The all stars have stiff rock beds. I feel like I went from 21st century to beddrock. Hey 100% agree with you with the service and security and I agree that staying on property is the best idea. That is how Disney catches everyone in the trap. That room is absolutely no where near $109 a night. It should be $60. Demand made these rooms expensive. Remember when GF, Poly, and Contemporary were super cheap. Well Disney expands and jacks up the prices. I feel like I am raped at Disney. For God's sakes, can't they give seasonal pass holders free parking or like deals on rooms. But what happens, everyone still goes back because Disney is Disney. Just so you could get a taste of someone other than Disney, compare this situation to Universal.

You have a $160 a night room that is bigger and much cozier. Very luxurious for its price and the service is wonderful. You can join a free membership and after 7 stays get a FREE upgrade to a suite (see details). This is no gimic trust me, I did it. Plus get $10 free at mini bar each stay. That is just rooms. then AP holders get free parking, 20% of merchandise, food, etc. Now gee, what looks more appealing.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Disney and staying at all stars is much better then the dumps around, but I do wish Disney to think of the people then the greedy money. Am I right or am I right.

Originally posted by NADINENURSE
If some aloof snob choses not to go to Allstars and even put it down, then let them pay 3x as much for virtually the smae thing. It's better off without them.:wave: We just came back last Sunday, and I am dying to go back.:hyper:

I'm glad to hear that you had a good time, and that the All Stars worked for you. I agree, they are certainly better than many of the off-site properties, although I've had a not clean and a not-so-clean room at the All Stars's (and one that was spotless). I've also found cleanliness problems at some of the other resorts as well to be fair.

I've stayed in all levels of rooms at WDW, and there is no way you can compare the type of amenities and service you get with an All Star room with what you get with a room costing "3x as much".

Have you stayed at any other WDW resort?

Anne

Originally posted by dogg2727
he he I'm sorry are we talking about the same hotel. The all stars have stiff rock beds. I feel like I went from 21st century to beddrock. Hey 100% agree with you with the service and security and I agree that staying on property is the best idea. That is how Disney catches everyone in the trap. That room is absolutely no where near $109 a night. It should be $60. Demand made these rooms expensive. Remember when GF, Poly, and Contemporary were super cheap. Well Disney expands and jacks up the prices. I feel like I am raped at Disney. For God's sakes, can't they give seasonal pass holders free parking or like deals on rooms. But what happens, everyone still goes back because Disney is Disney. Just so you could get a taste of someone other than Disney, compare this situation to Universal.

You have a $160 a night room that is bigger and much cozier. Very luxurious for its price and the service is wonderful. You can join a free membership and after 7 stays get a FREE upgrade to a suite (see details). This is no gimic trust me, I did it. Plus get $10 free at mini bar each stay. That is just rooms. then AP holders get free parking, 20% of merchandise, food, etc. Now gee, what looks more appealing.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Disney and staying at all stars is much better then the dumps around, but I do wish Disney to think of the people then the greedy money. Am I right or am I right.

I don't ever remember the price of rooms at the Poly, GF or CR being super cheap. They have always been on the higher end of the scale. The introduction of moderate and then value resorts on Disney property was in response to the deluge of budget-priced motels that were cropping up all around the WDW area. Disney saw a market for those travelers and provided a product for them in the form of the AllStars.

There is no comparison between the Loews hotels on Universal property to the AllStars. They are not in the same league both in the area of price and ammenities. A $160/night room is still $45/night higher than the rack rate for an AllStar during Holiday Season. Apples and oranges.

And Disney DOES give merchandise discounts, free parking and exclusive room rates to AP holders. There are discount room codes and special passes for Florida residents. And like Universal, Disney provides a number of promotions throughout the year to attract visitors. Yes, the Mouse is greedy but the people who run the Loews chain of hotels are not in it for charity either. It's ALL about getting you to spend your vacation $$$$ with them.

You may prefer the hotels at Universal, but I would only consider those hotels if I was doing USF/IOA and not WDW.

If some aloof snob choses not to go to Allstars and even put it down, then let them pay 3x as much for virtually the smae thing. It's better off without them.
You know tht's really rude. Maybe you should read other people's comments about their stay before posting. If you would have read mine you would've seen it was a horrible stay and it had nothing to do with being a snob! It had to do with cleaniness and not wanting to share my room with roaches!!! We paid $50 more a night(I don't think that's 3x as much) for a mod. and to us it was really worth every penny. Our room was much roomier, there grounds were beautiful, clean and roach free and the rooms were spotless they most defitnely were not "virtually the same thing" as the All Stars.

The OP was asking for comments, good and bad, about the All Stars so that's what I was giving. If you've had a great experience at the All Stars that's great for you, but that doesn't mean that everyone else has. That's why Disney has different levels of hotels to fit different types of people and to give everyone a choice.

I don't think anyone here is trying to come across as snobby. People simply have different vacationing styles. I have stayed at all levels and never had a problem. There are even differences within the same level. After seeing the pictures of the rooms at PC, I will definitely check it out, as the rooms are one thing that I do not particularly care for at the AS. IMO, the furniture should be a little more subdued. I do like the ambience of the deluxes, but I'm really not a room-service, spa, water mouse type person. Also, since we always bring our car, we can dine wherever we want without it being a hassle. For the OP's intentions and purposes, the AS's will be fine and I think the kids will LOVE IT!!

Just to clarify with you mad4themouse. 1.) I like all stars because I do at times take that when Universal is filled up (good reason Disney made these hotels). 2.) the prices of the gf, poly, and cont. were much cheaper back then when other hotels didn't exist and they were what they should be now. People have seen gf, poly, and cont. as the big dogs now in Disney hotels. So Disney took advantage of that. I stayed in the gf and nothing was to terribly different from the moderately priced hotels they have to offer. Why is that? Because they weren't as expensive as they use to be. Now and then are still the same.

As for loews hotels. They are way better. Keep in my I have been a Disney craze for anything Disney. When I even bought Universal tickets I was skeptical. Then I was unsure, yet, I tried their rooms. Now I am talking about RPR, but that hotel is great. Beautiful atmosphere. Countless things to do. Lovely rooms. I gotta put all stars down a notch from this loews room.

As for the parking, etc. I find it ridiculous for a florida resident to spend another $100 per person to get free parking and no blackout dates. I already paid $70 for their dumb dining card that Universal includes free along with parking and no blackout dates with their annual pass. Florida residents should be treated like gold, but disney could care less knowing the money strolls in anyway. True right.

I didn't bother reading all 96 posts, but we've stayed at ASMU and ASMO and both were great. The rooms are a little small, but if you're not spending alot of time there, who cares?

Oh, and the food court at ASMO ROCKS! I'd stay there again just for that.:D

:Pinkbounc :bounce: Not to create a war, but I have stayed at the others. Even the Wilderness Lodge where the pool lifeguard made my feel so uncomfortable, my husband even joked about the pool life guard for weeks. While there, we felt umcofortable, and soory if it offended you, but a "snoblike atmosphere" was almost the only way to describe it so everyone would get my non-verbal defination, you can't, afterall see my mannerisim over the computer. Either way, we are all Disney fanatics, so lets just leave it at that.:rolleyes: I hate when postings get argumentative, this is supposed to be fun:Pinkbounc :bounce:

:wave:

Hi

We stayed at the All Stars Baseball-a couple years
and Surf's Up. When they first opened, the first 3 years
then went to Surf's Up.
Liked Surfs's up the Best, pool view, close to the pool and the cafetaria area.

Stopped staying there two years ago.....we go every Feb and seems like they are now renting to anyone with a credit card
college kids, high school kids, they are up all night running around yelling and kids yelling and yelling! People having infants out at midnight and small toddlers running around..... up all night frenzy place! YUCKS! After a long day starting before 6am and ending after 1130pm, we didn't want to deal with any loud noises or disruptions!
between the college kids/the cheerleaders/kids with dad's credit cards yelling and screaming and running around all night, never again!;-(
Even our kids don't like it anymore. Yes we have two.
Too crowded and noisy!
The magic of that place wore off for us!
Not as clean, and updated as the other resorts are and have to wait longer for bus transportation to the parks, too many people!!!

It's good for first timer's....

Spending hard earned money, we want clealiness and PEACE AND QUIET!!!

Just my 2cents....

We also drive from MA-MCO so that makes a big difference too!

We opt now for Deluxe accomodations, well worth the money and we always get the quietness we all enjoy!!!!

Next week we are leaving and it will be our 16th trip!
We love Orlando
Cannot wait for that warm sunshine!!!

:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter