Are Grocery Shelves Empty By You?

Less to choose from here in NYC. The prices are higher on what is available. A couple months ago, I heard on the news that toilet paper would go up again. But, wasn't in the head space then to have to stock up again. Instead, I watched as the pack of toilet paper I usually buy slowly went up $3. I finally snagged a few packs, before the price goes up to $5 more. :badpc: And I wonder if I bought enough?

I think about all those toilet paper hoarders. I guess they had it right after all. :confused3 They bought at pre-pandemic prices and probably have barely made a dent in their piles.

Some of the prices at my local supermarket deli has gone up $2 more.

Every once in a while, I'll go down an aisle where a whole bunch of stuff is missing.

I went to 4 different Dollar Trees in NJ and they were gutted. I have a feeling it had do to the supply issues. One of those cargo ships waiting off-shore of California, probably has all the Dollar Tree stuff.

Last week, I was running low on my vitamins and supplements. Some of the items were on sale, so I don't think the store is having a problem right now. However, I did buy extra as I don't want to run out in a few months when the supply issues finally hit this store.

Makes me wonder what else do I need to stock up on (not hoard) to make it through the supply issues, or prices going through the roof later on when I need to re-buy. And how long do I need to stock up for?

Mostly seeing limited stock in the toilet paper aisle @ Target. Other than that all is fine on this end but keep in mind I’m a perimeter shopper and don’t pay much attention to what’s going on in much of the supermarkets.

I’ve noticed some empty spaces in certain sections but none for products I usually buy. There was something on my list that Shop Rite was out of last week, but I don’t remember what it was so it couldn’t have been that important.

Plenty of canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie filling, both in the regular aisle and in the center section seasonal baking display.

A local Dollar Tree had many empty sections, but I don’t go often enough to know what is normally stocked there. The refrigerator cases were very sparse, but there was plenty of Donald Duck brand juices/fruit drinks.

Re the shortages, I have a friend who is married to a truck driver and here is something she posted. It's long.
Not a full ban on owner ops yet…. But this gives you a good idea of what’s going on. Not to mention many larger companies have banned drivers who do not show proof of vaccination to pick up or deliver at their facilities.
The NEWS says the California port situation is caused by a driver shortage.
Not so fast: It is in part caused by a California Truck Ban which says all trucks must be 2011 or newer and a law called AB 5 which prohibits Owner Operators.
Traditionally the ports have been served by Owner Operators (non union). California has now banned Owner Operators.
Long term, truckers in California are not investing in new trucks because California has a law that makes them illegal in 2035. The requirement is to purchase electric trucks which do not exist.
And in the words of Paul Harvey, “Now you know the rest of the story”

Truckers like exaggerating their value. Trucks are definitely needed but the whole, “If truckers stop then America stops” makes me roll my eyes so hard they feel like they’re about to pop out. Everything in that trailer was made by a lot of different people. There are a lot of reasons for every supply chain issue but no, it’s not just because they couldn’t find a guy to drive the truck.

I haven't noticed the shelves being "empty", maybe sparse at times. It seems there are no guarantees you will find everything you are looking for all in one place. Might have to substitute some stuff to keep from having to go to multiple stores.

A little thin for some things. It's so random. Yesterday I needed some pinto beans for chili and the bean section was very sparse. Other stuff seemed fine.

I’m in Michigan. I went to Kroger yesterday and I am definitely noticing some differences. The fresh meat and fish counter was empty and dark. Some store shelves were either sparse or even empty. There is definitely a shift. Something is off. Obviously, the supply chain. Ugh.

Here in Germany in stores things have not changed. No supply issues at all that I have noticed. Only thing is gas/heating oil has skyrocketed. Thank God I am still work from home for at least until next year.

Charlotte NC area...

Most things are there, but a few items seem to be missing from the grocery store. Case in point, I bought the last two jars of Heinz Turkey Gravy. I cannot find an Entermann's Chocolate Cake (son's favorite) to save my life. Cannot get Chrystal Light Ice Tea anywhere either. Ice Cream shelf was wiped out on Sunday.

Walmart has looked like a tornado ripped thru. Many shelves with only the cardboard containers the items came in still on the shelves. Then again, I tend to do the food shopping after dinner, so i assume they were stocked better in the morning. Have not been able to get the Great Value Triple Chocolate coffee for over a month now.

Went to Sam's. I would say fairly well stocked there. But my son pointed out that the "Third Level" of their storage shelves were mostly empty.

So, I would say, it is a mixed bag. Unable to get a few family favorites, but not really an issue for most of our staple foods...

We've had issues with some things, mainly certain cleaning supplies that I've noticed. My dad says toilet paper is low again (I haven't been to the grocery store myself in about a month).

I did stop at Big Y yesterday and it was mostly normal. A few brands of toilet paper are completely gone, but others were well stocked. There are some spots here and there with bare shelves, but not widespread.

I'm in Tampa and haven't noticed much, other than last week Publix's wet cat food shelves were empty, and Target had almost no kitty litter. Everything else seemed normal.

I had to travel to Michigan two weekends in a row and both Krogers we went to had huge sections of every department just empty.

Western MD here..and so far no empty shelves, except now and then a few in frozen foods, like french fries. Sometimes cat food is missing, 2 days later its fully stocked. Paper goods in ample supply for now, as are cleaning supplies,,fingers crossed they stay that way!
Yes, I am in Maryland too and the cat food/litter section everywhere is decimated and I never seem to catch it fully stocked. Even things I usually order at Chewy have been out of stock.

Yes, I am in Maryland too and the cat food/litter section everywhere is decimated and I never seem to catch it fully stocked. Even things I usually order at Chewy have been out of stock.

Knock wood, our (MD) Chewy orders have stayed consistent, and I'm only getting dog food, not cat food. But a co worker who uses Chewy is experiencing some delays in her cat food availability/delivery, too.

Cat food and kitty litter are definitely hit or miss here in western PA. The last time I did a Walmart order I only got half of what I actually ordered. The rest was either substituted or out of stock completely. I’ve noticed that the pharmacies are starting to be out of stock on some medications. I only noticed it because I’ve been helping my parents and my dad is constantly getting a new prescription.

Weird stuff here in South Jersey. Last week I couldn't get beef gravy at ShopRite. The shelves were completely bare. I also, until a few days ago, had trouble getting boxes of instant white rice there. Some of the cleaning products are starting to become scarcer, but nothing I use so it hasn't affected me much.

At Meijer last week they had a 4 can limit on tomato sauce, paste, and diced tomatoes. Also a limit of 2 on paper towel. Also no pork roasts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter