Are Grocery Shelves Empty By You?

“News” channels have become Fear Propaganda channels. I don’t remember the last time I learned useful news from watching them or reading their internet “news” outlets.

My stores have everything I need and more.

Except my Whole Foods, which has never had grass fed, grass finished beef. I get that locally though from the farmers market. Yes, they have grass fed but not grass finished. Not that it’s a big deal. I eat McDonald’s burgers, but sometimes a girl wants to change things up.

It seems to be hit or miss. Some things are out, others in stock. I was at Kroger yesterday and the shelves were cleared of many items. This can be attributed to schools resuming today from fall break (happens after EVERY school break or long weekend). But Costco did not have any TP. They did however have paper towels, so I was in luck.

I live in the country equal distance to a small town one way and a college town the other (in Georgia). The Kroger in the small town does a pretty good job of keeping something on their shelves, it might not be the brand we buy or the exact thing we want but we can usually find something, meat has been an issue for a while now. I don't like to shop there (hubby does) because they tend to not stock the healtyish items I like. The Kroger the other direction has had issues the last few times I've been in there. They do stock the healtyish items but lately not so much. Both have horrible service. The small town one never seems to have enough registers open and when they do, you have to bag your stuff yourself. The one the other direction has some of the most unpleasant employees I've ever seen. I'm thinking of trying Publix, they tend to cost more than Kroger but their employees seem to be nicer. There are two in the college town.

Re the shortages, I have a friend who is married to a truck driver and here is something she posted. It's long.
Not a full ban on owner ops yet…. But this gives you a good idea of what’s going on. Not to mention many larger companies have banned drivers who do not show proof of vaccination to pick up or deliver at their facilities.
The NEWS says the California port situation is caused by a driver shortage.
Not so fast: It is in part caused by a California Truck Ban which says all trucks must be 2011 or newer and a law called AB 5 which prohibits Owner Operators.
Traditionally the ports have been served by Owner Operators (non union). California has now banned Owner Operators.
Long term, truckers in California are not investing in new trucks because California has a law that makes them illegal in 2035. The requirement is to purchase electric trucks which do not exist.
And in the words of Paul Harvey, “Now you know the rest of the story”

I keep reading everyday how grocery shelves are empty or going to be empty, etc. . With the exception of a few random times here and there every supermarket I have been in is plenty stocked. I am in New England by the way. I know about the supply issues, etc, but as far as food goes I am not seeing it. What are you seeing by you?
Empty not really, but not as many options and few supplies. I went to the grocery store today and out of things like fresh fruit. Couldn't find some items like tarter sauce (was told it's a seasonal item for summer) That was news to me!

Re the shortages, I have a friend who is married to a truck driver and here is something she posted. It's long.
Not a full ban on owner ops yet…. But this gives you a good idea of what’s going on. Not to mention many larger companies have banned drivers who do not show proof of vaccination to pick up or deliver at their facilities.
The NEWS says the California port situation is caused by a driver shortage.
Not so fast: It is in part caused by a California Truck Ban which says all trucks must be 2011 or newer and a law called AB 5 which prohibits Owner Operators.
Traditionally the ports have been served by Owner Operators (non union). California has now banned Owner Operators.
Long term, truckers in California are not investing in new trucks because California has a law that makes them illegal in 2035. The requirement is to purchase electric trucks which do not exist.
And in the words of Paul Harvey, “Now you know the rest of the story”

The above bolded text was shared on social media 13,000 times and is being pushed, apparently, by conservative leaning sites. In this link here it's been fact checked (probably other links also). https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...klog-not-due-trucking-regulations/8456582002/
Our rating: False
Based on our research, we rate FALSE the claim that a cargo backlog in California is due in part to a statewide "truck ban." Experts told USA TODAY the regulations cited in the Facebook post have no bearing on the current supply chain issues on the West Coast.
Most trucks at major California ports, including the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, are already in compliance with a rule that requires trucks to have newer engines. A law that would effectively eliminate the owner-operator trucking model faces a court challenge and isn't yet in effect. And state regulators are still drafting rules called for by an executive order aimed at banning the sale of new gas-powered cars and light trucks by 2035.

The above bolded text was shared on social media 13,000 times and is being pushed, apparently, by conservative leaning sites. In this link here it's been fact checked (probably other links also). https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...klog-not-due-trucking-regulations/8456582002/
Our rating: False
Based on our research, we rate FALSE the claim that a cargo backlog in California is due in part to a statewide "truck ban." Experts told USA TODAY the regulations cited in the Facebook post have no bearing on the current supply chain issues on the West Coast.
Most trucks at major California ports, including the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, are already in compliance with a rule that requires trucks to have newer engines. A law that would effectively eliminate the owner-operator trucking model faces a court challenge and isn't yet in effect. And state regulators are still drafting rules called for by an executive order aimed at banning the sale of new gas-powered cars and light trucks by 2035.
I was just quoting what a friend who is a truck driver and her husband is a truck driver said. True or not, I don't know I don't drive a truck nor do I play a truck driver on TV.

Suburb of big city and shopping at big chain stores, no empty shelves but when you look for a specific item you might see it's not there and they have just spread everything out. I would say on any trip there are several items on my list completely gone. Doing a great job of hiding their lower inventory. So while they have the generic item, may not have the brand I want.

Same. (in Texas) The shelves look full, but the flavor or brand I want is missing and weird products are filling in the gaps. (Today there were no regular or parmesan goldfish. But there were a lot of packages of goldfish in flavors I have never seen before) Or they run out of something and it takes weeks instead of days to get more in.

I was just quoting what a friend who is a truck driver and her husband is a truck driver said. True or not, I don't know I don't drive a truck nor do I play a truck driver on TV.

I'm not trying to argue with you or make you feel bad or anything.:flower1: But just refuting false information. The wording your friend sent you is verbatim from the false posts right down to the full capitalization of the word "NEWS" in the first line.

I see stuff like this all the time as I visit lots of various forums. I make sure I fact check it all because there's so much misinformation being bantered around. I've bought into things before and realized you just can't believe anything.

I agree that the media hype is over the top but there is a real supply issue going on.
Even our Transportation Sec is saying to expect it into 2022.
Consider yourself lucky if you haven't noticed it.
Never said I wasn't noticing any shortages.

And there are a multitude of reasons for the supply issue, but we cannot get into those on these boards.

But, in my opinion, the media has been the main push for consumer craziness. They love a good click bait when a fight breaks out over a turkey, for example.

Trader Joe's

it's hard for me to find most of my regular purchases there these days. i know they have some type of a formula they use on deciding to continue carrying a product b/c of the price point they want to maintain but between them eliminating many of the frozen items b/c of that and then saying that supply chain is causing issues with others-no matter what time of day or night our 2 local ones always look decimated.

And there are a multitude of reasons for the supply issue, but we cannot get into those on these boards.

But, in my opinion, the media has been the main push for consumer craziness. They love a good click bait when a fight breaks out over a turkey, for example.
And when you watch those info-tainment channels you get what you get.

No but you implied the more hype the media gives it the emptier the shelves will be.
They can't get any more empty if they aren't being stocked because of the real supply problems.
Shelves in stores around here are empty, that isn't because people are running in fighting over the stuff, it's because the stuff isn't coming in.

No but you implied the more hype the media gives it the emptier the shelves will be.
They can't get any more empty if they aren't being stocked because of the real supply problems.
Shelves in stores around here are empty, that isn't because people are running in fighting over the stuff, it's because the stuff isn't coming in.
I DO very much believe that the shelves will be emptier than they would have been without the media hype.
Folks are buying things they don't need just to hoard again. And that leaves bare shelves for the rest...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter