Are Disney Cruises Back to “Normal”?

Buffets are allowed, but Cabanas was never a buffet for dinner. For dinner, Cabanas is a table service option that takes some dishes from each of the main restaurants. The servers are usually new hires training for future roles as servers and assistant servers.

I'm sure that dinner at Cabanas will return once Disney gets through the staffing shortage.
Thanks. Having never gone to Cabana's for dinner . . . what did/do I know?

agreed! I really miss seeing their faces. And I have a hard time hearing this in general, the masks make it really difficult for me (I'm sure for everyone) so the end result on my end is I don't strike up conversation because I don't want to feel weird or embarrassed by mis hearing or asking "what???" Every ten seconds. So I've got my fingers crossed that by our cruise in October the castmembers will at least get to choose.
On our Alaska cruise last week on the Wonder, mid-cruise (9/16) the mask requirement for staff was removed. A few continued to wear their masks but most didn't.

Does anyone know if this policy change is specific to the Wonder or is this happening on all the ships?

On our Alaska cruise last week on the Wonder, mid-cruise (9/16) the mask requirement for staff was removed. A few continued to wear their masks but most didn't.

Does anyone know if this policy change is specific to the Wonder or is this happening on all the ships?

Pretty sure all!

I think like the Disney parks and hotels, the pandemic gave Disney the opportunity to revaluate its practice and makes budget cuts under the guise of “Covid”. Things like the reservation system at parks and lack of housekeeping at hotels appear here to stay (plus lots of others, no lei’s at Aulani, Broadway show hasn’t come back at Disneyland, less parades and overall staffing at the parks). Some changes to the cruises may be the “new normal” but time will tell. As long as Disney continues to fill staterooms they have no incentives to bring back those perks. It does appear they are finally upping the staffing on their phone lines.

I think like the Disney parks and hotels, the pandemic gave Disney the opportunity to revaluate its practice and makes budget cuts under the guise of “Covid”. Things like the reservation system at parks and lack of housekeeping at hotels appear here to stay (plus lots of others, no lei’s at Aulani, Broadway show hasn’t come back at Disneyland, less parades and overall staffing at the parks). Some changes to the cruises may be the “new normal” but time will tell. As long as Disney continues to fill staterooms they have no incentives to bring back those perks. It does appear they are finally upping the staffing on their phone lines.

Completely agree with you on the staffing, but they aren't really having "no problem" filling state rooms. Alaska was almost on fire sale pricing this summer, and I heard recently when people cancel they get a survey to find out why. Honestly, Disney has the most restrictive protocols that HAVE NOT kept up with the CDC recommendations or with industry standards. They're shooting themselves in the foot.

Completely agree with you on the staffing, but they aren't really having "no problem" filling state rooms. Alaska was almost on fire sale pricing this summer, and I heard recently when people cancel they get a survey to find out why. Honestly, Disney has the most restrictive protocols that HAVE NOT kept up with the CDC recommendations or with industry standards. They're shooting themselves in the foot.
Alaska has been a volatile protocol route this year. One of the Vloggers I follow was on B2B cruises on Princess to Alaska. Week one was 3 weeks ago, no masks, no social distancing etc. Second trip, just two weeks ago, masks required and a return to social distancing because of an outbreak on the ship. Disney may have been the smartest cruise line in Alaska this season it appears. A constant policy.

Alaska has been a volatile protocol route this year. One of the Vloggers I follow was on B2B cruises on Princess to Alaska. Week one was 3 weeks ago, no masks, no social distancing etc. Second trip, just two weeks ago, masks required and a return to social distancing because of an outbreak on the ship. Disney may have been the smartest cruise line in Alaska this season it appears. A constant policy.

Norwegian didn't backtrack, Royal Caribbean didn't backtrack. Princess is unique in Alaska - they have probably the most ships there. I'm mainly referring to the protocols to get on the ship, which for Alaska was mainly the result of Canadian requirements. However, it sounds like even these will go away at the end of September.

Norwegian didn't backtrack, Royal Caribbean didn't backtrack. Princess is unique in Alaska - they have probably the most ships there. I'm mainly referring to the protocols to get on the ship, which for Alaska was mainly the result of Canadian requirements. However, it sounds like even these will go away at the end of September.
And because Disney "probably" carried more unvaccinated passengers than any other cruise line for most of the season and those passengers were mostly children. Disney is unique everywhere in that regard.

And because Disney "probably" carried more unvaccinated passengers than any other cruise line for most of the season and those passengers were mostly children. Disney is unique everywhere in that regard.
Percentage requirement ended the with expiration of the conditional sail order from the CDC. Disney remains the only cruise line with the requirement for anyone regardless of age, so no. It doesn’t make sense.

Percentage requirement ended the with expiration of the conditional sail order from the CDC. Disney remains the only cruise line with the requirement for anyone regardless of age, so no. It doesn’t make sense.
Given the number of kids on board, it makes perfect sense to me.

Disney only requires 12 and up now. But all the other lines have dropped the vaccine requirement for all ages. It’s beyond ridiculous now. Plus it’s not like dropping it means they go from all 12 and up vaccinated to none at all there will still be many that are.

Got off Wish yesterday, masks not required for staff. A few were wearing them, maybe 5%. Asked a couple of crew members about it, they were very happy to be rid of them.

Honestly there are no visible signs of any Covid measures on board that I saw. Very few people wearing masks, no signs about distancing, character interactions are back to normal, no limitations on spacing or venue capacities.

I’ll let everyone decide for themselves if that’s good or bad, but for anyone who still wants businesses to be in full pandemic mode and have a bunch of protocols in place, cruising is no longer for you. (Not saying you or anyone specific wants that)

Glad the staffing situation has been upped on the phone lines. Unfortunately, they still haven't fixed their IT dept (come on, you're Disney!!) and now it seems that Shoreside Concierge is backlogged. I wonder if that has to do with the many concierge rooms there are on the Wish. Disney probably didn't think that through. As far as cutting costs...concierge private meet and greet is not back. Why not? Regular character meets are. I think "back to normal" will be when testing is no longer required. Our last Disney cruise is coming up very soon and hopefully, it will be a good one!

Glad the staffing situation has been upped on the phone lines. Unfortunately, they still haven't fixed their IT dept (come on, you're Disney!!) and now it seems that Shoreside Concierge is backlogged. I wonder if that has to do with the many concierge rooms there are on the Wish. Disney probably didn't think that through. As far as cutting costs...concierge private meet and greet is not back. Why not? Regular character meets are. I think "back to normal" will be when testing is no longer required. Our last Disney cruise is coming up very soon and hopefully, it will be a good one!
Testing is already gone for vaccinated passengers on the Wonder, Dream, Fantasy, and Wish. The Magic is unfortunately still stuck with testing because of Bermuda's requirements.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter