Are Disney Cruises Back to “Normal”?

Wow, that doesn't sound "close" at all.
But what has been during the past 1~2 years?
Ready or not, we will be "Magic"-bound out of NYC on Oct 31st!
It's closer than it sounds since most of the items listed are rather small once on board. Honestly, our magic cruise felt almost the same as precovid (after the horrible testing experience we had before boarding).

Masks on cast members and a few guests was really the only difference we noticed while on board. The other stuff didn't even catch our attention. We don't do characters meet and greets, but those are even returning to normal starting tomorrow. I think Cabanas opening for dinner is one of the big on board things that would still be obvious if you use it (we don't). Again, it felt awfully close to normal to us.

Those things happen before the cruise. They don't affect the cruise itself. Also, we don't need you complaining about tests and vaccines all the time and derailing threads into arguments about Covid-19 stuff.

It is still part of them fully be back to normal so its valid, and also CM not having to wear masks. Sure some may choose to going forward just like some guests. All of that needs to also change for fully back to normal. I get it some don't want that to change ever, but it will.

I don't think you are negative at all and completely understand where you are coming from. I have the same concerns. I have my first cruise since covid became a way of life booked for December. I can't speak for onboard activities yet, but I have also noticed that Cozumel is one of our ports and there are no excursions available on the mainland. All the excursions are on the island. A bit disappointing, I wanted to see the Mayan ruins this time, but I'll still make the most of it and have a good time. Also, Palo Brunch is still not a buffet as before, and not sure if Disney will ever return to a buffet. My guess is they won't. Again, I have it booked and I'll make the most of it and still enjoy it I'm sure. If you book a trip I hope you have a great time. I'm sure you will.
Odd since Mexico has no restrictions. Limited excursions may be because the lack of passengers on the ship. They also got rid of the teen excursion on castaway which also makes no sense. The palo buffet obviously isn't a covid thing since the have a self serve buffet in Cabanas twice a day. I wonder what their reasoning is for that? My guess is cost everything comes down to money.

It is still part of them fully be back to normal so its valid, and also CM not having to wear masks. Sure some may choose to going forward just like some guests. All of that needs to also change for fully back to normal. I get it some don't want that to change ever, but it will.
Seeing the crew masked for 11 days was a reminder of the last two years for me. All the crew I talked to can't wait for the mask requirement to be dropped. That will be a big step to normalcy.

If people don’t like what they read about cruising on this thread, there’s always a choice to not go or use a different cruise line. Cruising isn’t a right, and companies, as well as customers, are free to make choices.

Seeing the crew masked for 11 days was a reminder of the last two years for me. All the crew I talked to can't wait for the mask requirement to be dropped. That will be a big step to normalcy.
Did any of the crew members you spoke to say anything about when that requirement would be dropped? I felt similarly on my cruise at the end of April 2022.

I'd like them to be able to be maskless...but I also thought I saw something on here a while ago about how cast members get to choose whether they wear a mask or not? Sounds like maybe that was a rumor.

Did any of the crew members you spoke to say anything about when that requirement would be dropped? I felt similarly on my cruise at the end of April 2022.

I'd like them to be able to be maskless...but I also thought I saw something on here a while ago about how cast members get to choose whether they wear a mask or not? Sounds like maybe that was a rumor.
In April they told me thought they would be ending the masks soon. It didn't happen. The last day of the 11 day cruise some guy in port said Hello to us. I didn't recognize him. It was our server. Imagine spending 10 nights with someone and not recognizing them. I know there are probably other crew members on board that I would recognize from previous pre-covid cruises if they took the masks off.

Just got off the Wonder, most things are back. No future cruise desk yet, also no tech support desk, you have to go to customer service for help.

Just got off the Wonder, most things are back. No future cruise desk yet, also no tech support desk, you have to go to customer service for help.

I‘m guessing onboard booking with a customer service representative may be gone for good. Gut instinct, with nothing to support it. Just figure it’s easier to let people get a reservation number and go through a TA if they need help - or book it direct with DCL when home. One less job they need a crew member to handle. As is, they can’t man the phones in FL.

It's closer than it sounds since most of the items listed are rather small once on board. Honestly, our magic cruise felt almost the same as precovid (after the horrible testing experience we had before boarding).

Masks on cast members and a few guests was really the only difference we noticed while on board. The other stuff didn't even catch our attention. We don't do characters meet and greets, but those are even returning to normal starting tomorrow. I think Cabanas opening for dinner is one of the big on board things that would still be obvious if you use it (we don't). Again, it felt awfully close to normal to us.

Cabanas for dinner keeps getting mentioned. You didn’t use it; I only have been there a few times over the years - and it was always a small crowd. Seemed to be more contract workers than guests. Was there an uptick in patronage over the last few years before Covid? Just curious.

(Not singling you out. Just using your quote as a reference. And you have well-thought out posts.)

I‘m guessing onboard booking with a customer service representative may be gone for good. Gut instinct, with nothing to support it. Just figure it’s easier to let people get a reservation number and go through a TA if they need help - or book it direct with DCL when home. One less job they need a crew member to handle. As is, they can’t man the phones in FL.
I agree. I think the tech desk is also gone for good. My understanding is that there are not even spaces held for those two things on the Wish.

It would probably reduce many phone calls if onboard bookings returned.

This was our big concern before going on our cruise last month. We love DCL so much and have sailed 16 times before, so we did not want to go back until the cruise was close to normal. It was WONDERFUL. For the most part it felt very normal. There are a few things like the above posts mentioned - we actually liked Cabanas for dinner, but since this was our first cruise back in 2 years we did not want to miss the MDR, so we didn't even know this was missing.
The things that did stand out for us:
1. No future cruise desk - instead there was a sad empty desk and some random cords and screens sticking out (this was an eye sore and looked so out of place). This may never come back though as they are pushing for placeholders.
2. No menus handed out at dinner - but on our last day we were told we could have asked for them and did see other families get them, so this is available just not standard procedure. We have a no phone rule during dinner, so going on your phone to look at the menu violated this (as our family kept telling us :)
3. Character meet and greets - people had to stand on a dot; but this is changing this week back to normal :)
4. Masks - we haven't worn masks in a long time, and seeing staff wearing them just felt so weird - this was the hardest thing for us and only thing that really felt like the cruise wasn't 100% normal yet. We live in East Tennessee and mask wearing is minimal. Seeing the crew wearing them while talking to us takes you out of that magical DCL feeling that you really feel like you are away from the world. Our cruise was the first in which they ended their policy of having to wear masks while working at Castaway Cay and outside on the ship - the crew was so happy and it was so nice to see the smiling faces of everyone. No idea when this will change for inside staff and close contact staff.
But it was a magical trip and we have 2 more cruises next month. I would say it is very close to normal now, and the last real bit is the inside wearing of masks for the staff. I think though in some parts of the country and world this is more normal for some people (as I said we live in TN so it is odd for us).

This was our big concern before going on our cruise last month. We love DCL so much and have sailed 16 times before, so we did not want to go back until the cruise was close to normal. It was WONDERFUL. For the most part it felt very normal. There are a few things like the above posts mentioned - we actually liked Cabanas for dinner, but since this was our first cruise back in 2 years we did not want to miss the MDR, so we didn't even know this was missing.
The things that did stand out for us:
1. No future cruise desk - instead there was a sad empty desk and some random cords and screens sticking out (this was an eye sore and looked so out of place). This may never come back though as they are pushing for placeholders.
2. No menus handed out at dinner - but on our last day we were told we could have asked for them and did see other families get them, so this is available just not standard procedure. We have a no phone rule during dinner, so going on your phone to look at the menu violated this (as our family kept telling us :)
3. Character meet and greets - people had to stand on a dot; but this is changing this week back to normal :)
4. Masks - we haven't worn masks in a long time, and seeing staff wearing them just felt so weird - this was the hardest thing for us and only thing that really felt like the cruise wasn't 100% normal yet. We live in East Tennessee and mask wearing is minimal. Seeing the crew wearing them while talking to us takes you out of that magical DCL feeling that you really feel like you are away from the world. Our cruise was the first in which they ended their policy of having to wear masks while working at Castaway Cay and outside on the ship - the crew was so happy and it was so nice to see the smiling faces of everyone. No idea when this will change for inside staff and close contact staff.
But it was a magical trip and we have 2 more cruises next month. I would say it is very close to normal now, and the last real bit is the inside wearing of masks for the staff. I think though in some parts of the country and world this is more normal for some people (as I said we live in TN so it is odd for us).
Or now if normal for people who are high risk I’ve learned I’ll be wearing a mask in February 💯

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter