April 2022 Direct Sales Numbers

Just curious, where did the 62k for the first day info come from?

That is about 12 million dollars in one day! Is that a record for a single day of sales for DVC?!?

The luggage sets were given to the first 500 owners who bought a 150 contract or higher.

Those sold out within the first day, based on price, and that number it came to around 62k.

I think that is why the March and April numbers are so high because they were from the first month of March when owners flocked to buy.

Once we see May numbers, and those sales are no longer skewing things, we will see if that robust buying continued.

I tend to think it won’t, but you never know.

The luggage sets were given to the first 500 owners who bought a 150 contract or higher.

Those sold out within the first day, based on price, and that number it came to around 62k.

I think that is why the March and April numbers are so high because they were from the first month of March when owners flocked to buy.

Once we see May numbers, and those sales are no longer skewing things, we will see if that robust buying continued.

Oh that makes sense now.

I remember seeing the luggage incentive, but did not know the requirements or when it sold out. That is impressive in one day!

I think if these stay, what will happen is that resale buyers will become owners who have multiple resorts for different trip. While I get it is not exactly the same, there are many owners who do self impose restrictions by staying at the same resort, or few resorts, every trip.

I am a RIV/VGF person and have no desire to stay elsewhere. But, in 2042, when the resale choices are small and direct options are larger, this will seem like a blip and everyone will be used to it.

We also have to remember that there is nothing that prevents from DVD from putting in an exchange program that allows restricted resale owners to pay a "fee" to trade points into ones that are good for a stay at a different resort.

For example, they could decide to allow me to pay a one time reservation fee to "trade" my RIV resale points for a stay elsewhere, using points that they own that are valid. Similar to how they now allow people to change DVC points into Reservation points, and then get to use them to book WDW resorts that are not DVC.

Lots of ways this can all go if restrictions stay around.. The whole goal is to get people to buy direct and as soon as they can make resale an inferior product, they have achieved that goal!
This is what I see down the road. Pay a fee to flip into the other resorts.

Oh that makes sense now.

I remember seeing the luggage incentive, but did not know the requirements or when it sold out. That is impressive in one day!

It was and why I think we are seeing such high numbers because owners knew that the best incentives were March and it made sense to buy then vs wait.

1653055502394.png

This is the Riviera direct sales chart, it will be interesting to compare it to the GVF sales, but it's also important to note a key difference and a critical difference.
The key difference: GFV already exists, people can tour the resort, part of the villas (the old ones). The first 6 months of sales for Riviera were sight-unseen. So unsurprisingly, Riviera has an explosion of sales when it opened, when people were actually able to tour.
GFV likely will not have such a huge jump upon the opening of the new building. (I do expect a jump, but not as significant) .

And of course the critical difference -- The total collapse in March 2020 due to covid, which never fully recovered. My rough estimate, Riviera likely lost up to 1 million points of sales. Sure, some sales were just delayed, but many of the sales were never captured. My guess, if Covid never happened... March-July 2020 would have been 125,000+ points per month. August-December 2020 would still have been 100,000+ points at Riviera per month. And 2021 would have been 80,000-100,000 per month. By 2022, it would be close to where it is now.
Look at it this way.. Riviera did 90,000 in April 2022, in direct competition with GFV. So if not for Covid, we would have seen a gradual decline from the 150,000 point monthly mark to 90,000. (my graph only goes to end of 2021).

View attachment 670432

This is the Riviera direct sales chart, it will be interesting to compare it to the GVF sales, but it's also important to note a key difference and a critical difference.
The key difference: GFV already exists, people can tour the resort, part of the villas (the old ones). The first 6 months of sales for Riviera were sight-unseen. So unsurprisingly, Riviera has an explosion of sales when it opened, when people were actually able to tour.
GFV likely will not have such a huge jump upon the opening of the new building. (I do expect a jump, but not as significant) .

And of course the critical difference -- The total collapse in March 2020 due to covid, which never fully recovered. My rough estimate, Riviera likely lost up to 1 million points of sales. Sure, some sales were just delayed, but many of the sales were never captured. My guess, if Covid never happened... March-July 2020 would have been 125,000+ points per month. August-December 2020 would still have been 100,000+ points at Riviera per month. And 2021 would have been 80,000-100,000 per month. By 2022, it would be close to where it is now.
Look at it this way.. Riviera did 90,000 in April 2022, in direct competition with GFV. So if not for Covid, we would have seen a gradual decline from the 150,000 point monthly mark to 90,000. (my graph only goes to end of 2021).
So many good points. Poor RIV, it is now going to have to go up what looks like a major Recession.

I am curious as to what will happen with direct sales as we get closer to 2042 if they keep the resale restrictions. I know the restrictions do not affect resale but in my opinion it affects direct. DVC is probably one of the most expensive direct timeshares, partly because it holds its resale value. If resale restrictions impact or affect sales, direct becomes harder. Just my opinion - unless dvc tiers booking at that point too. Direct 7 months can book non home resorts resale for a fee can book at 5 months then at 4 months RCI or II whoever they are with can trade in. Otherwise I see a many dvc points going into RCI or II- in which case why not buy a cheaper timeshare to trade into DVC?
Just speculating. I agree with Sandisw that the incentives for VGF skewed the sales. Curious to see what it will be in August after families have had their summer vacations.

I am curious as to what will happen with direct sales as we get closer to 2042 if they keep the resale restrictions. I know the restrictions do not affect resale but in my opinion it affects direct. DVC is probably one of the most expensive direct timeshares, partly because it holds its resale value. If resale restrictions impact or affect sales, direct becomes harder. Just my opinion - unless dvc tiers booking at that point too. Direct 7 months can book non home resorts resale for a fee can book at 5 months then at 4 months RCI or II whoever they are with can trade in. Otherwise I see a many dvc points going into RCI or II- in which case why not buy a cheaper timeshare to trade into DVC?
Just speculating. I agree with Sandisw that the incentives for VGF skewed the sales. Curious to see what it will be in August after families have had their summer vacations.
I agree. One of the biggest draw for DVC has been its resale value. Its seems very short sighted to have come up with the resale restrictions.

I agree. One of the biggest draw for DVC has been its resale value. Its seems very short sighted to have come up with the resale restrictions.

I venture that most initial buyers really don’t care or think about it.

As long as the parks exist, there will be a market for DVC, even if it’s not what it is today.

Right? And OKW AFs are so high too.
I considered buying direct while we were down there at GF. But wanted OKW 2042. Why? Because I will be in my mid 80s then. In the meantime, would like more points to get grand villa for trips with my grandsons at 11 months. But there is nowhere to buy 2042 points at OKW. Assuming Disney ROFR any that you try to buy resale. But they don't give me the option to buy 2042 direct. So what do I do? Probably make them buy back every contract in my use year.

We bought OKW direct at $180, just before the price increase. Those direct contracts come fully loaded with 2057 expirations. When the 2042 resorts expire, the OKW rooms with their amazing point charts are going to be a premium
I venture that most initial buyers really don’t care or think about it.

As long as the parks exist, there will be a market for DVC, even if it’s not what it is today.
I agree. 2042 will be an interesting year. But by then, I’ll probably be too old to care.

I considered buying direct while we were down there at GF. But wanted OKW 2042. Why? Because I will be in my mid 80s then. In the meantime, would like more points to get grand villa for trips with my grandsons at 11 months. But there is nowhere to buy 2042 points at OKW. Assuming Disney ROFR any that you try to buy resale. But they don't give me the option to buy 2042 direct. So what do I do? Probably make them buy back every contract in my use year.
I guess your only option is to bid up on a resale contract and hope Disney won’t take it?

Did anyone here get the luggage set? Are they nice?

We just had an OKW contract taken at $130. 80 points, extended contract. 130 didn't get us there :)
That sucks. Disney is gobbling up OKW at all costs so they extend as many contracts as possible to 2057. At least resale owners will have OKW as an option until then.

Did anyone here get the luggage set? Are they nice?
Yes and just used it for my trip. It is a great weekender type bag!!! Will get rid of some of the other ones I have. It held a lot and fit perfectly under the seat on the plane

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter