April 2022 Direct Sales Numbers

kilik64

Carefree, wherever we may be!
And let the debate begin - are the resale restrictions hurting RIV sales?

popcorn:::drinking1
I still think it’s a very minimal effect. I think ultimately RIV “hurts” RIV compared to VGF.
There is nothing wrong with RIV, but it does not have anything just amazing going for it. It’s a moderate location that has a skyliner. And the resort itself is like a giant JW Marriott etc. To a lot of people it just doesn’t have this huge draw to it. Once again it’s perfectly fine, but to me that’s it.

I think the fact that RIV went up 30k and only 43k of the 177k for VGF were new buyers or current who changed UY says a lot, enough that the slower than average RIV sales the past year may not be solely due to restrictions.

Because April data includes only half for new buyers, double that and it’s only around 86k

No idea how many of the 93k for RIV were new but I’d tend to think more new than add ons since current owner s do care about restrictions.

IMO, this was a strong enough rise for RIV for restrictions to still remain as a possibility.

Next two months will definitely give more info when you have data from all buyers for a full month.

Bigger question is...... when will prices increase.......:rolleyes1

They probably plan to increase them towards the end of the year, but I'm curious to see what will happen when we post two quarters of negative GDP growth in a row and they can't hide the fact that we're in a recession anymore. People are spending like we aren't about to nosedive off a cliff, so it will be interesting to see how Disney responds.

They probably plan to increase them towards the end of the year, but I'm curious to see what will happen when we post two quarters of negative GDP growth in a row and they can't hide the fact that we're in a recession anymore. People are spending like we aren't about to nosedive off a cliff, so it will be interesting to see how Disney responds.
Retail is very much starting to feel it...

I still think it’s a very minimal effect. I think ultimately RIV “hurts” RIV compared to VGF.
There is nothing wrong with RIV, but it does not have anything just amazing going for it. It’s a moderate location that has a skyliner. And the resort itself is like a giant JW Marriott etc. To a lot of people it just doesn’t have this huge draw to it. Once again it’s perfectly fine, but to me that’s it.
I don't think the Grand is all that beloved. If we were talking Poly, I think I might agree with this, but the Grand and Riviera are the same "genre" of resort. Fancy and generic.

As someone who dislikes both, the fit and finish of Riviera feel much higher quality to me than the Grand. I don't think there's any doubt that they have, between the two of them, the best room quality of any of the WDW DVC resorts, but the Riviera common areas feel more actual-upscale as opposed the Grand, which feels more faux-upscale. And I'll shout from the rooftops how much of an upgrade the Skyliner is over the monorail, albeit minus a lot of the nostalgia factor.

And let the debate begin - are the resale restrictions hurting RIV sales?

popcorn:::drinking1
I don't think anyone would disagree that if Riviera DIDN'T have the restrictions, it would be selling better? No doubt, these numbers are very good for Disney. And unfortunately, I don't think the resale restrictions will go away if this remains a trend.

Between Walmart and Target's latest earnings, retail stocks are about to take a huge slide. Most already had a decent retreat today anticipating their earnings being just as bad.

Target was down 52% profit this qtr which is freaking nuts.

I love recessions, stocks go on sale!
Yea, it's great for those of us who have time to wait it out... very unfortunate for those who don't.....

Yea, it's great for those of us who have time to wait it out... very unfortunate for those who don't.....
Those who dont shouldnt be that heavy in stocks anyways.

Back to the topic though, I really wish they would have given the numbers on new contracts for RIV like they did for VGF2. Kinda hard to compare apples to apples without it.

Doesn't the skyliner running there upgrade the location?

If they had run the monorail over to that location, would you still call it a moderate location?

I don't think anyone would disagree that if Riviera DIDN'T have the restrictions, it would be selling better? No doubt, these numbers are very good for Disney. And unfortunately, I don't think the resale restrictions will go away if this remains a trend.
This might be true for a subset of folks here on the DIS, but I don't think the restrictions matter much to buyers new to DVC. Heck, the restrictions don't matter much to many folks here. I would love to see some actual data, one way or the other, if it even exists.

This might be true for a subset of folks here on the DIS, but I don't think the restrictions matter much to buyers new to DVC. Heck, the restrictions don't matter much to many folks here. I would love to see some actual data, one way or the other, if it even exists.

Which is why I think that having only 43k out of 177K being new master contracts is a bigger potential indicator than the total.

I wish they would have done the same analysis for RIVs 93k. That would have been more telling since I think they market to new buyers and not current.

And you know that DVD looks at that metric!!

Why I think so far, nothing points to DVD completely abandoning restrictions if it’s still a long term goal.

Last edited:
Which is why I think that having only 43k out of 177K being new master contracts is a bigger indicator than the total.

I wish they would have done the same analysis for RIVs 93k. That would have been more telling since I think they market to new buyers and not current.

And you know that DVD looks at that metric!!
My non-scientific analysis is that RVA owners seem to skew younger. Millennial couples and families. At least I see more of them at RVA than VGF.

My non-scientific analysis is that RVA owners seem to skew younger. Millennial couples and families. At least I see more of them at RVA than VGF.

I met a few this trip who were new and went for RIV over VGF due to longer contract as they had younger children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter