APRICOT NECTAR CAKE

Cake:

Vegetable oil spray for misting the pan
Flour for dusting the pan
1 package 18.25 oz plain yellow cake mix
1 package 3 oz lemon Jell-O
¾ cup canned Apricot nectar
¾ cup oil use Canola, corn, safflower, soybean or sunflower
Grated Zest of one lemon (1tsp) *I used almost 2 tsp.
4 large eggs (not jumbo)

Glaze:

¾ Cup Confection sugar sifted
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 tablespoons canned apricot nectar or more as needed

1. Place the rack in the center of the oven; preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly mist a 12-cup bundt pan and flour set aside.

2. Put cake mix, Jell-O, oil, nectar, zest and eggs in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low 1 min
Stop and scrape down the side, increase speed to medium and beat 2-3 more min. Batter should look thick and smooth. Pour into pan and immediately bake for 40-42 min and when the cake is light brown and springs back to the touch.

3. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack 10 min

4. Prepare glaze. Combine Conf. Sugar, lemon juice and apricot in small saucepan and heat over med-low heat stirring until all of the sugar has dissolved. It will be a thin liquid

5. Run a long sharp knife around the edge of the cake and invert it onto a serving platter. While cake is still warm poke holes in the top with a long wooden skewer or toothpick* I used a chopstick and pushed down until almost at the bottom of the cake. There will be holes in the top of the cake but the taste will make up for the look. Spoon the glaze over the cake making sure to let it drip into the holes. Cool before slicing too let the glaze soak in.

*Store this cake, covered in plastic wrap or under a glass dome at room temp for about a week. Or Freeze it wrapped in Aluminum foil for up to six months, thaw the cake on the counter overnight before serving.

I can vouch for this recipe! My mom has been making it since I was a kid, and now I make it. My recipe calls for dividing the eggs, whites from yolks, beating the egg whites stiff and folding them in separately after the yolks have already been mixed in. I don't know how this changes the recipe. I also have never done the hole punching, but may try that this time! This is truly one of my favorite recipes!

Sounds really yummy....unfortunately we can't use cake mixes because of my ds's food additive sensitivities! I'll have to try adapting a regular cake recipe.

And I can't seem to find a bundt pan anywhere....any clues?

I was looking back at some of the older posts on this board when I came across this recipe. I just picked up this book -- discounted at TJ Maxx. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but if this is any indication of them I can't wait to use it! YUM

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter