AP purchase questions

judyt0915

Earning My Ears
I've been reading through the many threads on AP's, but didn't come across what I was searching for.

My understanding is that...

1. I can purchase the AP online with a GC as long as it is an amount large enough to cover the purchase price.
2. I can consolidate multiple GCs at disneygiftcard.com to make that purchase online and rack up my gas points.
3. My year of fun starts when I go to the parks and have it activated, not when I make the purchase.
4. I pay to park on that first trip, and I can get reimbursed when I activate my AP.

So what I didn't find answers to...

1. Does the AP have to be activated within a certain time frame of purchase?
2. If I purchased them now and it ended up being January instead of September, is that against any WDW policy?
3. How (or can I) take advantage of any AP hotel discounts being offered at the time of our first trip if the AP hasn't been activated yet?

And also...

If I wait for the offers to come out, book a free dining deal in September and then change our tickets to APs when we arrive at the parks, do we lose the DDP?

TIA!
Judy

1 & 2. As far as I know there's no limit on when the AP can be activated. It'll be fine if you don't travel until January

3. To get AP rates when your AP has not yet been activated you simply need to call (or use a TA but you can easily call yourself and get the rates)
Your dining plan is in no way tied to your tickets so aside from needing to purchase a certain number of days worth of tickets to qualify for dining upgrading those tickets or saving them for later would have no effect whatsoever on your DP. Be aware you could probably save more booking with an AP rate and adding a dining plan than by booking free dining depending on how many people are traveling and where you plan to stay so run the numbers before deciding.

I think the rules have now changed for new annual passes purchased, that they expire by the end of the year that they were purchased in. I know that was the new change that went into effect for MYW tickets when the prices increased this week. I believe it is true for Annual passes. But, assuming you go before the end of the year then, once activated, they will be good for one year.

I think the rules have now changed for new annual passes purchased, that they expire by the end of the year that they were purchased in. I know that was the new change that went into effect for MYW tickets when the prices increased this week. I believe it is true for Annual passes. .
Sorry, but that's not true of APs or MYW tickets.

Current MYW tix expire at the end of 2018.
Current AP certificates still expire in 2030, AFAIK.

Last edited:

I bought an annual pass in November. The voucher had an expiration date on it. I cannot remember what it was - but it was there. It seems to me is was some date in the 2020s.

As far as the hotel rates - they showed up on the Disney website once I purchased the voucher. I booked one with only the voucher - no activated pass. I would have probably had to show the pass when I got there, but I activated the voucher at Guest Services in Disney Springs before we got to the hotel. The activation had already hit my online profile before we got to the hotel, so they didn't ask.

I bought an annual pass in November. The voucher hadAs far as website once I purchased the voucher. I booked one with only the voucher - no activated pass. I would have probably had to show the pass when I got there, but I activated the voucher at Guest Services in Disney Springs before we got to the hotel. The activation had already hit my online profile before we got to the hotel, so they didn't ask.
I bought an annual pass in November. The voucher had an expiration date on it. I cannot remember what it was - but it was there. It seems to me is was some date in the 2020s.

As far as the hotel rates - they showed up on the Disney website once I purchased the voucher. I booked one with only the voucher - no activated pass. I would have probably had to show the pass when I got there, but I activated the voucher at Guest Services in Disney Springs before we got to the hotel. The activation had already hit my online profile before we got to the hotel, so they didn't ask.

No requirement to own an AP or AP purchase certificate in order to book AP rate resort rooms.
With online check-in, as long as you buy and activate the AP near the start of your trip, you'll be fine.

I am not saying that it was required for booking a room - I am just saying that they rates showed up during searching for rooms once I had the voucher.

I am not saying that it was required for booking a room - I am just saying that they rates showed up during searching for rooms once I had the voucher.
My comments were specific as to when the AP needs to be activated.

No requirement to own an AP or AP purchase certificate in order to book AP rate resort rooms.
With online check-in, as long as you buy and activate the AP near the start of your trip, you'll be fine.

Hello! I had been looking for an answer to this question on another thread, and I just wanted to confirm. I am planning to upgrade my 7-day PH ticket to an AP during our trip. I'd like to take advantage of the AP discount for our room, but we aren't getting in until the evening - flight lands at 7:30 and taking Magic Express to POR- and ideally I'd like to wait to do the upgrade until the next day. Will the hotel allow me to wait until the next day to show my AP, or will I need to get it upgraded that evening in order to keep the discount?

I am planning to upgrade my 7-day PH ticket to an AP during our trip. I'd like to take advantage of the AP discount for our room, but we aren't getting in until the evening... I'd like to wait to do the upgrade until the next day.

1. Will the hotel allow me to wait until the next day to show my AP,
2. or will I need to get it upgraded that evening in order to keep the discount?

1. Yes.
2. Nope.
And, likely, if you use on-line check-in, you will never have to go to the resort front desk and show
anyone anything.
(Your MDE account will show when you purchase/upgrade and activate your AP, anyway.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter