• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AoA or Poly?

Rmoberle

Earning My Ears
I know, it seems like a trick question, right?
I’m struggling. We are a family of 5 planning our second trip. Previously stayed at AoA family suites in 2015 and it was great. No complaints.
But we went to ‘Ohana for dinner and I wanted to pack up our family suite on the spot and move in.
I’m struggling because of two things. First, space-the family suites have a separate bedroom and a standard Poly does not.
Second, convenience-Poly has the monorail and AoA does not. The buses were great when we visited before, but not as great as the monorail.
We are staying 7 nights, 6 day park hoppers. Looking at a January trip. My 7 year old uses a wheelchair and needs a tiny bit of extra space (she doesn’t self propel, it’s just another thing in a small hotel room). She also tires easily and may want to return to the room at some point during the day to rest.
Can someone please choose for me?? What would you do? Have you had a family of 5 in a standard Poly room and lived to tell the tale?

Last edited:
We are a family of 5 and have stayed at both poly and AoA suites. We loved them both. The poly will be more convenient to go back for breaks, but you'll have less room than in a suite. Poly is beautiful and relaxing. Also, the cost will be much higher at the poly. It depends on your family. My kids loved having the extra room at AoA. I'd let the finances decide. If money is not a factor, try poly. It's amazing and your family will be fine. Especially if you'll spend a lot of time at the parks. The good news is that you'll have a great vacation no matter what! Good luck!

Have you looked at renting DVC points for the Poly? Might be a more economical way to stay at the resort with possibly a bigger room. Have not personally done this but our friends do this all the time.

While DVC is an option the rooms actually have less living room... while the same size as other poly rooms a lot of the DVC space is taken up by the second shower..... if a second shower is useful to your family it does still have sleeping for 5 with one real queen size bed, one queen size pullout sofa and a near twin size bed under the TV (it is fine to sleep on and nice when pulled down with a scenic background) I have stayed in both we are and have been DVC for 15 years so the last time I stayed in a regular Poly room was over 15 years ago but do remember it having a large living area but have not seen them after the remodels...

We did AoA then Yacht Club and while the YC/BC were amazing for so many reasons, this next trip we will be back at AoA in a suite. We are saving over $1000 over the YC/BC. My biggest complaint with AoA was the food court, we are just going to plan our days so we don't eat there. With the money we are saving we are going to Minnie Van/Uber everywhere (in our mind this equals the advantage of monorail/boat access) and do a Christmas party. I am not sure how efficient the Minnie Vans are at accommodating wheelchairs but I am sure someone on the disability board can give you feedback. Even though we can afford it I couldn't justify the extra $1000 especially when we will have more room in a suite. Traveling with 4 boys I REALLY appreciate the extra bathroom.
Either way you will have a magical trip.

I’ve never been to aoa, but have stayed at Poly and it is amazing to be able to pop back to the hotel so quickly to refresh. Plus it is beautiful there and so amazing to watch the fireworks from the beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter