Anyone's guess when we see larger incentives for Riviera?

ChipNdale8887

DIS Veteran
Before the Coronavirus Pandemic we were interesting in buying Riviera but now I feel like it's going to cause the price or incentives for Riviera to change and be cheaper to buy per point. When does everyone expect to see some new incentives that make it cheaper per point or see them possibly throwing something to entice buyers? They can't exactly throw in free cruises like people said they did in 2008 or 9/11. With the old bonus incentive expiring at the end of february I'd expect to see them at least bring back that now with everything.

I would think something might change when WDW opens back up. It really all depends on how long things are shut down. Once they open back up they should have a grasp on how it’s selling shortly thereafter. If it is not good, I would expect a better incentives to get things back on track.

They have a lot of tools in their toolbox and I expect them to use all of them. Here's just one thought:

Let's say that there is no incentive so you don't buy DVC and you don't come to the park. They make nothing off of your family. To remedy this, they give your family free annual passes for your purchase year. This costs them little because you likely weren't buying them anyway if you didn't buy DVC. So for an incentive that costs them little overall (but you can bet that the parks division will bill the DVC division internally) they can help close a sale and increase revenue in other areas (food, beverage, souvenirs, etc.). Now, this is an oversimplification because there will inherently be lost revenue from those who would have bought without the incentive and would have purchased APs without the incentive, but that's a more complicated analysis. The point is, there are lots of things they could do that won't cost them a lot of money. If my salesperson told me that I would get three anytime fastpasses for a year if I purchased direct, that could probably convince me.

The current incentives end April 28. They had a bonus incentive that ended in February that wasn't renewed. I don't expect anything until the expiration on the current incentive. At that point they will probably have a better feeling for how much they need to incentivize Riveria with the pandemic factored in.

They couldn’t pay me to take a cruise even before this pandemic. Now that it’s happened, that incentive wouldn't change my mind one bit. No thank you. They’re floating petri dishes!
They honestly aren't much different than the Parks. The Capacity that comes through the parks on a daily basis is much higher lol.

They honestly aren't much different than the Parks. The Capacity that comes through the parks on a daily basis is much higher lol.

They recirculate the air from cabin to cabin. They’re very different. Also, I’ve only ever been on 2 cruises. On one cruise, everyone (crew included) got seasick. We were confined to our rooms with carts in the halls with motion sickness medicine and cleaning supplies for when people vomited. It was awful. Cruise #2 gave my entire family and half the ship the flu. I’m biased against cruises. Being stuck in our cabin on a cruise ship with the full blown flu is probably one of the worst experiences of my life. This was 2017 when the vaccine didn’t work. I’m not saying no one should ever take a cruise, I’m just saying I don’t think we will ever again. We’re 0-2 with cruises.

They recirculate the air from cabin to cabin. They’re very different. Also, I’ve only ever been on 2 cruises. On one cruise, everyone (crew included) got seasick. We were confined to our rooms with carts in the halls with motion sickness medicine and cleaning supplies for when people vomited. It was awful. Cruise #2 gave my entire family and half the ship the flu. I’m biased against cruises. Being stuck in our cabin on a cruise ship with the full blown flu is probably one of the worst experiences of my life. This was 2017 when the vaccine didn’t work. I’m not saying no one should ever take a cruise, I’m just saying I don’t think we will ever again. We’re 0-2 with cruises.
Yeah I could see that being bad. But 99% of the time this isn't the case. The Norovirus( a stomach bug ) does tend to hit cruise ships from time to time. We've been on around 10 cruises and we love them ( not as much as disney world though ).

I would be hesitant to get on a cruise ship though until this is all over. I would probably feel the safest on a Disney cruise ship though, sanitary wise.

Yeah I could see that being bad. But 99% of the time this isn't the case. The Norovirus( a stomach bug ) does tend to hit cruise ships from time to time. We've been on around 10 cruises and we love them ( not as much as disney world though ).

I would be hesitant to get on a cruise ship though until this is all over. I would probably feel the safest on a Disney cruise ship though, sanitary wise.

Cruise #2 where we got the flu was a Disney Cruise. There were some sick CMs at the cruise terminal, and we’re all pretty sure that’s where we got it. :/ You can see why we won’t be doing one again. We spent a lot of money to come home with the flu.

Cruise #2 where we got the flu was a Disney Cruise. There were some sick CMs at the cruise terminal, and we’re all pretty sure that’s where we got it. :/ You can see why we won’t be doing one again. We spent a lot of money to come home with the flu.
That would stink :(

Honestly I don't think Disney will be giving out free cruises anytime soon. I think there only way to do it is higher incentives on Rivieria. 100 point incentive, 150-175, 175-200, and 200-250. Something to bring point price down to
$175 for 100 points
$165 for 150-175
$155 for 175-200
$150 for 200-250

That does sound awful. Didn't realize they recirculate air like that. We've always done a balcony so we get a good bit of fresh air. Both were good experiences, but no one got sick. Well other than a few of us that drank too much at the wedding we were attending. Had to take advantage of the only free alcohol we'd get all trip.

I would agree that Disney cruises would probably be the cleanest and safest from a health standpoint. But you know what is even safer? Not trapping yourself on an enclosed vessel with 4,000 walking germ factories. :)

I would agree that Disney cruises would probably be the cleanest and safest from a health standpoint. But you know what is even safer? Not trapping yourself on an enclosed vessel with 4,000 walking germ factories. :)
And having no assurance that you will be able to get off the ship. Remember all the ports that refused docking when they thought the ship had sick people on board.

And having no assurance that you will be able to get off the ship. Remember all the ports that refused docking when they thought the ship had sick people on board.
Ugh, even worse. It's like a floating prison full of sick people. What a nightmare. If that were me I'd probably just go all Alcatraz and try and swim for it.

All I know is I have my $$ set aside to buy as soon as any new incentives may be announced. I bought a very small Riviera contract last July, and after staying there in Feb decided I want more points. Was planning on calling my guide before all this stuff happened, so now I will just patiently wait. I figure waiting a month or so is not going to cost me anything :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter