Anyone still going to WDW even with all the talk about a recession?

:teacher: So true.
We are also from MI. When we heard about the "recession" I was like, haven't we already been in a recession for the last 7 years. So the recent news was no biggie for us. In fact, I think the bigger deal the rest of the nation make of it the worse it will be.

See, that's us, too. ::yes::

Living in Michigan, it's almost like we're used to the layoffs, price hikes, empty houses with foreclosure notices on windows (I swear there are more every time I drive through the neighborhood), etc. So maybe we're not as worried about the potential for a recession because it's not anything different than what we've been dealing with.

Also, on a personal front, when dh was laid off 3 years ago, he was in IT, and it was his third or fourth layoff since we'd been together. Now he teaches college, so we don't worry about layoffs like we did before. And our finances are better than they ever have been, thank God. We're still tight due to personal choices like having ds in private school, but it's not like we're living on the $24K that we survived on in 2005 when he got laid off! :scared1:

We're still going!!! In very simple terms, a recession is a decrease in spending. I'm just doing my part to keep the economy going!!:cool1:

We have a trip booked for December - still going - taking my parents! I got the "PIN CODE" and saved big $$ over the original quote we were working with... I was so excited to finally be chosen for "the code"!

That said - we have made a major sacrifice (although I don't consider it so!) My parents have a very nice - HUGE - house in a well established neighborhood - our house is more of a starter (we already have a buyer at a price that we are very comfortable with!). We are buying my parents home from them - they are gifting us the equity as our down payment!! They will still live there and we will split costs (the house is set up so you could use as a duplex with minor construction!) It's working out in favor of all of us and it's only three miles from where we currently live and DD won't change schools!

I'm actually looking at having some extra expendable income in the very near future - and DEFINITELY looking forward to having my parents experience DISNEY for the first time!

Recesions only affect people if they get laid off as a result. Inflation, now that could cause people to cut back or cancel vacations (Disney or otherwise).

We aren't traveling this year, but only because all our extra $$$ is going into making much needed improvements to our home (gutting and remodeling our upstairs bath-yes it's a need and not a want, trust me! and then also replacing our VERY old and on-it's-last-leg furnace and ac).

Quickie WDW trip in May, 2nd-5th. Then NYC May 19th-22nd (maybe 25th not sure yet) Then in August either Montreal or DC. September we have a week or 2 planned in WDW, as well as WDW for 3 or 4 days in December.

We WERE planning a trip to DL in April, but have cut that out, as well as a week trip to Vegas. So we have scaled back, but not much.

I know that I should stash the money in my savings that I am using towards our trip but can't bring myself to cancel. We invited my 83 yo grandmother to go with us this year, an early birthday present, she has never been and i think she is more excited than my dd's. This will be a memorable trip for her and DD's (spending time with her at the "happiest place on earth") and to me that is priceless. She visited us over the holidays and mentioned "when she leaves us" a few times. She NEVER talks like that. It kinda scared me. I heard that older people sort of know.

So, we are still going, using our tax refund. Just cutting back, only one character meal instead of 3. No hopping. No souvies. Looking for other ways to budget between now and April. I would be devastated if I cancelled and then something happened to her. Under ordinary circumstances, we would probably cancel and save the money.

Let me ask a couple of question. I'm assuming you guys have been planning this trip for a while. Do you need to pad your savings? Job stable? A lot of people are panicking because of this recession news. I would say if you planned to use your tax return and every thing else is ok, I would go as planned. My 401K is taking a hit :headache: but I'm in it for the long haul so I'm saving as normal and paying off my cc debt as normal.

We're still going, in November. Assuming we can save up the money, but that's always, not new for this year.

Recesions only affect people if they get laid off as a result.

I wish that were only the case, but it's not.

Companies aren't making as much money so they reduce spending. This means no/less hiring (too bad for people who are just entering the work force or in need of extra income), annual cost of living raises often get cut or decreased (really bad with inflation on the rise, but in general if the cost of living went up 5% one year, but you didn't get your annual 3%, now you're behind the curve that much more), those who rely on commissions, bonuses, profit-sharing find that those start disappearing. And during the last recession plenty of companies were making their employees take salary cuts across the board, or forcing vacation time even if you didn't have any time accrued. People like my father who had a business servicing companies phone/wiring needs found there was suddenly less work for him. Technically he was still employed...but making much, much less.

And as a result, not just companies, but their employees spend less. The less the consumer spends, the less companies x,y and z make (retail, travel, etc etc), who start buying less widgets from companies a, b & c, they cut back, and so on. It goes everywhere, from retail, to travel, to...well, you name it. It's a spiral that affects everyone.

Which is one of the biggest reasons why doing layoffs is extremely shortsighted from many, many standpoints. Save now, pay a LOT more later. But whatever makes stockholders happy in the short term I guess.

Let me ask a couple of question. I'm assuming you guys have been planning this trip for a while. Do you need to pad your savings? Job stable? A lot of people are panicking because of this recession news. I would say if you planned to use your tax return and every thing else is ok, I would go as planned. My 401K is taking a hit :headache: but I'm in it for the long haul so I'm saving as normal and paying off my cc debt as normal.

We have just started putting money back into our savings. I think that is where the guilt comes in. We don't have the recommended amount but I am happy as a couple of years ago, we didn't even have savings. Only half the return will go toward the trip, the other half will go to savings.

I am pretty comfortable with my job. Of course nothing is guaranteed. But where I have worked, I have seen layoffs at the top or middle management. I am neither of that. DH is a teacher and there is a teacher shortage where we are so I am pretty sure he is safe as well. But you never know.

Companies aren't making as much money so they reduce spending. This means no/less hiring
Agree and disagree - the major fortune 500 company I work at has been reducing spending consistantly for the last 10 years - no big change there. Downsizing is the ONLY thing constant where I work. They count the office supplies to make sure there is no waste - yet our execs still get their multi-million dollar bonuses every year :(

But DH is in the job market right now and got 8 calls in 2 hours the other day - now he has a in-demand skillset, however the companies who need him are willing to pay the regular going rate, so far only one small company couldn't afford his regular "this is Chicago" rate. I also think it is VERY regionalized. I foresee less layoffs in white collar industries and more "no-growth" ie through outsourcing, offshore etc.
Construction, manufacturing, service industry outside large cities, I agree will suffer.

We are going! I also wont live my life in fear. My family deserves this vacation and we are taking it! That being said, we also have no debt, not even a mortgage, own our home, 2 cars, free and clear and have enough to live on for a a little more than a year if we needed it. So I feel pretty safe.

We live 45min from Disney. We have SP, we are going less to DW. Gas is not getting any cheaper but the price of gas is. Disney use to offer great rates for Fl residents on their hotels,(we use to be able to stay for $49. at a value resort in a weekend). We are lucky to get a $89. rate, but then their are no rooms. Don't forget $10 parking or is it $11.:confused3

We love Disney and are very lucky to be able to go as often as we do. But in todays economy even living 45 mins from Disney is not that affordable.

I wish that were only the case, but it's not.

Companies aren't making as much money so they reduce spending. This means no/less hiring (too bad for people who are just entering the work force or in need of extra income), annual cost of living raises often get cut or decreased (really bad with inflation on the rise, but in general if the cost of living went up 5% one year, but you didn't get your annual 3%, now you're behind the curve that much more), those who rely on commissions, bonuses, profit-sharing find that those start disappearing. And during the last recession plenty of companies were making their employees take salary cuts across the board, or forcing vacation time even if you didn't have any time accrued. People like my father who had a business servicing companies phone/wiring needs found there was suddenly less work for him. Technically he was still employed...but making much, much less.

And as a result, not just companies, but their employees spend less. The less the consumer spends, the less companies x,y and z make (retail, travel, etc etc), who start buying less widgets from companies a, b & c, they cut back, and so on. It goes everywhere, from retail, to travel, to...well, you name it. It's a spiral that affects everyone.

Which is one of the biggest reasons why doing layoffs is extremely shortsighted from many, many standpoints. Save now, pay a LOT more later. But whatever makes stockholders happy in the short term I guess.

I completely agree.

I have enought sitting in the ING account now to pay off the June trip, so YES we will still be going! It took us 1.5 years to save up for this trip, so it will take something drastic for us to cancel now.

Just wondering? You think Disney will be offering some really nice discounts later in the off season?

Gerri

As far as recession, if everyone stops spending it will make the economy worse. Ruff times are ahead, but I have been wanting a family trip for years and regaurdless of this big scare we are still going..."spending money helps boost the economy"

jmo

We changed our dates from March 08 to Oct 08 but we are still going! Other changes included deciding to stay 7 days in a studio (DVC), not getting a car rental unless we get a great deal and cutting back on table service meals. We still will get the annual passes though, we want to go in March of 09 and hopefully one other trip on those passes.

alisa

Yes, no matter what...

My mom has metastatic cancer and it is amazing she is here after 2 1/2 years. Disney is her favorite place to vacation and my daughter and I have been fortunate enough to experience 5 additional trips with her since her diagnosis. We are going again in August, God willing.

I certainly won't go overboard, but no amount of money is worth my mom's happiness...:love:

We're also still going... we only go every other year and will still pay cash for everything so there won't be any debt incurred for us to go.... I pinch pennies in other areas so we can go and enjoy Disney! Now my much-longed-for DL trip in December is another story...... not sure if we'll be able to pull that one off....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter