Anyone ride the Mardi Gras float?

rickybobby

Please bring back Tapestry of Nations
My son volunteered us to ride on the float to throw beads. We have not been selected, but are passholders. Has anyone done this? Is it fun or sounds better than it actually is?

I've been trying to ignore everything that reminds me that we didn't get to ride a few weeks ago. The web page said its required to sign up a week in advance, so I asked customer service what I should do since I didn't have my AP yet, and they told me that they weren't doing anything like that this year.
I checked on the page again after Mardi Gras started and all of the times were populated, but it was too late to sign up; the previous day that we were spectators was the only day with open spots (and we didn't know #2 below). :sad:

So, what I learned that may help you:
  1. Though you can sign up for any day, including today, sign up as early as possible to secure a spot (even multiple days).
  2. If the day you wanted to ride has already been filled, go wait by the parade doors in Hollywood a few hours before the parade as you'll likely get put on one of the floats because some people won't show up.

And please take this responsibility seriously! The objective should be to throw as many beads over as wide an area as possible!

It's a lot of fun. We did it the night of the Ne-Yo concert. The site said everything was full but lots of people don't show up. We just walked over and got in the standby line. By the time the parade started are float still wasn't full. The entire parade route was 6 or 7 deep with people. Lots of fun!

We did it 2 weeks ago when we were there. It was really fun and definitely a cool experience. We went over by the Barney area and asked about it. A great parade guy secured us a spot for the next day. ( all the spots were filled that day and the stand by line was long.). You even get to wear a costume and they make it really fun.

Just did it last night. Lots of fun. We got lucky to run into the social media head of a passholder group who was giving out parade wristbands. My AP lanyard got me selected of all things. Just dumb luck. We were actually headed on our way to the Barney area to do standby at that time.

It's so much fun to throw beads. You get a thousand little connections to excited people. Awesome view and awesome fun. I hope you get selected. We are trying again when we go down in a couple of weeks.

We actually got a phone call to our room phone inviting us to participate, but we couldn't the first day, and then the second day it rained.

Does anyone know if there are age restrictions? Next trip I will have teenagers with me. I wasn't sure if they could do it or not.

Also, if you do get picked, please be careful with the throwing. Some of the people throwing the beads were really chunking them to the point it hurt when they hit you. I got hit in the face and head a few times pretty hard. I felt like the dummy for a target practice session. I've never experienced that before at Universal or in New Orleans, so I'm thinking it was just overzealous park guests who were really excited about getting to throw those beads!

We actually got a phone call to our room phone inviting us to participate, but we couldn't the first day, and then the second day it rained.

Does anyone know if there are age restrictions? Next trip I will have teenagers with me. I wasn't sure if they could do it or not.

Also, if you do get picked, please be careful with the throwing. Some of the people throwing the beads were really chunking them to the point it hurt when they hit you. I got hit in the face and head a few times pretty hard. I felt like the dummy for a target practice session. I've never experienced that before at Universal or in New Orleans, so I'm thinking it was just overzealous park guests who were really excited about getting to throw those beads!

I saw children on there as young as six or eight, but it's mostly older children and up. Not sure if there's an official age limit. Minors need someone who is authorized as their guardian to sign a waiver for them. My twelve year old had fun. They do a teaching session on how to throw. Either Frisbee-like or underhand because overhand hurts. The teenagers would have a blast.

The area to got to is over in the Barney section.

I've signed up to get on the floats the past two Thursdays and have yet to get the email saying we were chosen.I plan to go tomorrow and get on the standby line.I've seen videos online of people doing it but I'm unsure of what time to head over to Barney to get in the line???

I honestly don't know. Our night was "at capacity" but we decided to go over and try standby anyway at the last minute. Waited in line about 15 minutes before being selected. I've read 2 hours early but I'm not doing that. We had a great time though. We have all signed up for march 23rd. We will see what happens and my little man is not tall enough so I'll catch beads with him if my group gets selected.

Yes, we had a blast doing it. I'm looking forward in a few weeks of doing it again. Just like pcstang said, we walked over at a last minute thing. At first we were told it's most likely we would not get on. But about 15 minutes later we all got on the same float.

Last edited:
Yes, we had a blast doing it. I'm looking forward in a few weeks of doing it again. Just like pcstang said, we walked over at a last minute thing. At first we were told it's most likely we would not get on. But snout 15 minutes later we all got on the same float.

4EC819F6-B852-473C-8491-910E4F5541E5_zpsqso0kg3x.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Just back. Got picked for standby after waiting for about 1.5 hours on Fat Tuesday. My 15 year old son had so much fun, he demanded we try again the next day. Showed up at 6:00 this time, which is just before they close it out, and got lucky enough to have another shot. Great fun. Got to meet several Universal employees, who were throwing beads as volunteers.

Went today to do the standby line but by chance VIP host Jeff walked by me and I asked him about the line,he was super nice and just asked us how many and are we all over 48",he proceeded to give us wristbands that automatically got us in.We went on the Manticore float(body of a lion w/ a human head).Definitely want to do it again before Mardi Gras ends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter