Anyone recently just use US Sprint wireless rather than pocket wifi or Japanese SIM?

wishing4PA

Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or
I know Sprint the company is in the middle of a corporate transition, but last time I checked, with our Sprint wireless plan we would basically have "free" service in Japan b/c of Sprint's being owned by Softbank or something like that. (ETA that it's a $5 add-on, so not really free, but not a per day charge either.) So, ... I'm trying to decide (if the big corporate changes don't mess that up - so it's still an option for us, and if the corona virus doesn't do in our June trip) whether to just use our phones as if we were at home in the U.S., or if we need to get separate service in Japan (either wifi or sim cards.)
Does anyone here have personal experience recently using Sprint's service in Japan?
Or have you heard comments from fellow travellers about using Sprint in Japan?

Last edited:
I just saw this... I really don't know... about sprint...

We have Verizon, and were told that we would be able to use our phones in Japan without any problem, and were suggested a WIFI buddy to help with speed and connections...?

For us we have our phones set up for international call, which is 10 dollars a day for each device for 24 hours... Our plan stays the same no matter were we travel too... for our trip to France it was 140.00 extra for our trip, we knew going in so we budgeted for this.... a couple of day DH had to use the ipad for work the phone just wasn't getting it...

On out cruise last year, it was only 20.00 bucks extra...

Anyone have anything that they could share or add to this either way... Thanks in advance...

Thanks, LovesTimone. I appreciate the info. Not sure when our "June" trip is going to really happen, and now Sprint was bought by T-mobile, if I understand correctly, so that might change things anyhow. But I'll definitely check with my carrier as the trip approaches, if it ever does. :(

Thanks, LovesTimone. I appreciate the info. Not sure when our "June" trip is going to really happen, and now Sprint was bought by T-mobile, if I understand correctly, so that might change things anyhow. But I'll definitely check with my carrier as the trip approaches, if it ever does. :(

My neighbor who she and I are really good friends, they went to Japan last year... and they had a shock when they got back with their phone bill.. it was was like almost 500.00 bucks, more than the normal bill... she was freaking out... I think that they had T-Mobile at the time... Apparently her DH misunderstood how the international calling worked with the plan they currently had at the time... 2 phones, 2 iPad and 1 laptop... it added up quickly...

I like my Verizon and I like that fact whatever your plan is it stays the same when traveling internationally...

double check and recheck... to make sure that you don't get a unwanted surprise when you get home....

On another note...

What is your thought process on going to Japan in June... have you set a decision date yet to decide if you are going or not?

We have friends that were planning on going to Japan for the Olympic's in late July into early August... I haven't talked to her in a while, and she and I caught up the other day... Since the Olympics are not happening... they have changed up their plans... right now they are planning to go to Hong Kong to visit her college roommate and her DH... for a few days, then moving on to Tokyo, Osaka, Hiroshima, and a couple more stops... before heading back to the US.... 25 days they will be gone... They own a business and close it down in mid July and August, into early September and her dad oversee all the maintenance, and work that needs to be done on all the equipment, machines, trucks, and cleaning up of the yard, reorganizing everything and shops and offices... it's the only time off they really get... so she said they are going...
The plan that they really want to do is hit up all 3 Asian parks... and she said if they open up they are going to change plans and hit all 3 destinations... then they only have Disneyland Paris and they will have all the parks...

My neighbor who she and I are really good friends, they went to Japan last year... and they had a shock when they got back with their phone bill.. it was was like almost 500.00 bucks, more than the normal bill... she was freaking out... I think that they had T-Mobile at the time... Apparently her DH misunderstood how the international calling worked with the plan they currently had at the time... 2 phones, 2 iPad and 1 laptop... it added up quickly...

I like my Verizon and I like that fact whatever your plan is it stays the same when traveling internationally...

double check and recheck... to make sure that you don't get a unwanted surprise when you get home....

On another note...

What is your thought process on going to Japan in June... have you set a decision date yet to decide if you are going or not?
Wow. That would be an awful bill. I'll have to be careful for sure!
Right now would be the time I'd be finalizing a few things: Ghibli tix, making sure some meds were going to be legal to bring in without prior approval, making sure I was contacting my card companies or at least making a checklist, maybe getting a new piece of luggage etc.
Instead right now I'm just waiting for Delta to add June to its dates that can be cancelled with the extended e-credits available. I really don't think June is going to be a low-risk time to fly (including quarantines in Japan as a risk.) So I think the trip is going to be cancelled. So I'm not doing any of my other pre-trip planning.
Instead I'm just waiting for Delta to extend dates. Our flight leaves in June, and our normal credit time is up in early July (like about July 2nd), so without special help from them I can't even reschedule for later in the summer such as August. I really need that 2 year extension, I think. Or a refund.
I know they are busy with people changing the April and May flights.
So hopefully soon....
Or, things could suddenly start looking good for June, in which case we're going to Japan as planned!
But I'm not counting on it. :(
DD didn't get into the special school, which might make it somewhat easier to reschedule in the holidays or even skip a few days, though she can't skip much in HS anyhow. I'd love to reschedule for Christmas despite crowds. Just give me a crystal ball. And the Delta extension.
Editing to add that I didn't set a decision date. Delta has gradually extended its dates, so my thoughts are they will add June soon. I'm trying to be very patient.

We used t-mobile when we went last year and had free, unlimited data. It wasn’t always the fastest and that’s why we still got a mobile wifi device.

I’ve always had Sprint. It’s true it works in Japan basically for free, but I still get a pocket WiFi because the speeds just don’t compare.

I’ve always had Sprint. It’s true it works in Japan basically for free, but I still get a pocket WiFi because the speeds just don’t compare.
Ah. Okay. Pocket Wi-fi it is. I'm convinced!
Wait... but can I use my phone as a phone for free basically to call non-techie DH? And still use the wi-fi for everything else?

Ah. Okay. Pocket Wi-fi it is. I'm convinced!
Wait... but can I use my phone as a phone for free basically to call non-techie DH? And still use the wi-fi for everything else?
We were able to make calls for free without roaming charges (T-Mobile) and still used our pocket wifi whenever we needed data

Haley R - I have to admit, I keep checking the boards on your countdown to see if your nugget has arrived! Since activity hasn't been robust given all the closures, it's been something to look forward too! GOOD LUCK with delivery - hope everything goes smoothly. Motherhood is an adventure, for sure. I just started our Japan countdown, hoping that all moves forward - we're at 202 days until Japan!

Haley R - I have to admit, I keep checking the boards on your countdown to see if your nugget has arrived! Since activity hasn't been robust given all the closures, it's been something to look forward too! GOOD LUCK with delivery - hope everything goes smoothly. Motherhood is an adventure, for sure. I just started our Japan countdown, hoping that all moves forward - we're at 202 days until Japan!
Haha I guess he just isn’t ready yet. It’s definitely given us something to look forward to and will keep us busy for many months! We were hoping to take him to japan next May but that probably won’t happen now

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!